All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

youthathletics

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:45 pm Hadn't left my property in about two weeks. Last time I was out to Home Depot, no one was waring masks in store. Just got back from a visit to the store, everyone is waring masks.
Curious,...where did you go? I went in to two Home Depots today, 1 in Capitol Heights (PG County), and 1 in Annapolis. Capitol Heights primarily AA and Hispanics....AA masked up not so much for Hispanics. In Annapolis..... mostly white and Hispanic, hardly anyone waring a mask.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:45 pm Hadn't left my property in about two weeks. Last time I was out to Home Depot, no one was waring masks in store. Just got back from a visit to the store, everyone is waring masks.
Curious,...where did you go? I went in to two Home Depots today, 1 in Capitol Heights (PG County), and 1 in Annapolis. Capitol Heights primarily AA and Hispanics....AA masked up not so much for Hispanics. In Annapolis..... mostly white and Hispanic, hardly anyone waring a mask.
In my Home Depot today…..1/3 of the people wearing masks including all of the workers.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:33 pm
In my Home Depot today…..1/3 of the people wearing masks including all of the workers.
No way you were in Home Depot....your wife musta dragged you in there. ;) :lol: :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:42 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:33 pm
No way you were in Home Depot....your wife musta dragged you in there. ;) :lol: :lol:
You think I am bad you should see my neighbors. I can do a few things myself but I am really good at google and the phone! I will never forget my sister holding my hand a few years ago and being stunned. She said she has never felt a man’s hands so smooth….i I told her I am at risk of a paper cut.
“I wish you would!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

The news gets more puzzling...

Per article in Washington Post:

"Vaccinated people made up three-quarters of those infected in a massive Massachusetts covid-19 outbreak, pivotal CDC study finds

The cluster of cases in Provincetown, Mass., which were linked to the delta variant, came amid densely packed July Fourth celebrations. The findings, which also showed vaccinated people had greater protection against severe disease even though they could spread the virus, significantly influenced a move by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention this week to reinstitute recommendations that people — vaccinated or not — wear masks in indoor public settings in some circumstances."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... -guidance/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:11 pm The news gets more puzzling...

"Vaccinated people made up three-quarters of those infected in a massive Massachusetts covid-19 outbreak, pivotal CDC study finds

The cluster of cases in Provincetown, Mass., which were linked to the delta variant, came amid densely packed July Fourth celebrations. The findings, which also showed vaccinated people had greater protection against severe disease even though they could spread the virus, significantly influenced a move by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention this week to reinstitute recommendations that people — vaccinated or not — wear masks in indoor public settings in some circumstances."

Just a guess, but I'd bet that Provincetown has an extremely high vaccination rate, relative to other parts of Massachusetts, which itself has a high rate relative to much of the country. Meaning that 25% being among unvaccinated is very disproportionate to the actual percentage of potential unvaccinated to infect.

Pretty clear that Delta can be contracted and spread by vaccinated as well. But the good news is that if you're vaccinated, the impact is way less, you have reduced risk of contraction and if you do get it, you're less likely to have a severe reaction...so far, not that many hospitalized out of all those folks.

That said, yup, that's why they want us to wear masks even if vaccinated...reduce further the risk of contraction and further reduce the risk of spreading it if you do.

While it's simple to say the unvaccinated deserve what they get, perhaps the easiest way to explain to someone that they really should try to help reduce spread through their own care is that there are lots of people who are unable to be vaccinated at all, for medical reasons, plus children (and Delta can, though rare, damage or kill children) and/or who, though vaccinated have such issues that their risks are much higher.

That said, the unvaccinated getting it and needing care cost us all.

Suck it up, wear a darn mask.
Let's get this thing going the other direction again asap.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:06 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:11 pm The news gets more puzzling...

Just a guess, but I'd bet that Provincetown has an extremely high vaccination rate, relative to other parts of Massachusetts, which itself has a high rate relative to much of the country. Meaning that 25% being among unvaccinated is very disproportionate to the actual percentage of potential unvaccinated to infect.

Pretty clear that Delta can be contracted and spread by vaccinated as well. But the good news is that if you're vaccinated, the impact is way less, you have reduced risk of contraction and if you do get it, you're less likely to have a severe reaction...so far, not that many hospitalized out of all those folks.

That said, yup, that's why they want us to wear masks even if vaccinated...reduce further the risk of contraction and further reduce the risk of spreading it if you do.

While it's simple to say the unvaccinated deserve what they get, perhaps the easiest way to explain to someone that they really should try to help reduce spread through their own care is that there are lots of people who are unable to be vaccinated at all, for medical reasons, plus children (and Delta can, though rare, damage or kill children) and/or who, though vaccinated have such issues that their risks are much higher.

4/5 of the hospitalizations were vaxxed, though last count is 7. haven't seen (yet) differential on who was spreading, other than ct values were the same.
doubt nore than 75% of provincetown revelers were vaxxed. or much more.
there has yet to be anything close to conclusive evidence that masks help stop the spread in the community (unless out recently. think i would've seen it).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:12 pm

4/5 of the hospitalizations were vaxxed, though last count is 7. haven't seen (yet) differential on who was spreading, other than ct values were the same.
there has yet to be anything close to conclusive evidence that masks help stop the spread in the community (unless out recently. think i would've seen it).
I dunno, P-town is about as liberal an enclave as one could find, including in Vermont. I'd think they were super high vaccination rate...could be wrong.

Apparently, these revelers were packed tight for the 4th...you ever seen any pics of P-town revelry? Did a little google search for this past 4th; https://ptownevents.com/provincetown-th ... vincetown/
or
https://www.gaytravel4u.com/event/provincetown-carnival

Yeah, masks probably wouldn't have kept spread down that much, given zero distancing.

But yup, masks (and distancing) reduce spread...is it enough to reduce Delta to a standstill? probably not.

Vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate.
Typical Lax Dad

Masks are probably a waste of time.

Haven’t read it….just saw it.

Not sure if a real life tests (outside of a lab) has been conducted. Not sure how that would be done.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

We are “devolving”:

Wu Lien Teh’s work to control the 1910 Manchurian Plague has been acclaimed as “a milestone in the systematic practice of epidemiological principles in disease control” (3), in which Wu identified the cloth mask as “the principal means of personal protection.” Although Wu designed the cloth mask that was used through most of the world in the early 20th century, he pointed out that the airborne transmission of plague was known since the 13th century, and face coverings were recommended for protection from respiratory pandemics since the 14th century (4). Wu reported on experiments that showed a cotton mask was effective at stopping airborne transmission, as well as on observational evidence of efficacy for health care workers. Masks have continued to be widely used to control transmission of respiratory infections in East Asia through to the present day, including for the COVID-19 pandemic (5).

In other parts of the world, however, mask usage in the community had fallen out of favor, until the impact of COVID-19 was felt throughout the world, when the discarded practice was rapidly readopted. By the end of June 2020, nearly 90% of the global population lived in regions that had nearly universal mask use, or had laws requiring mask use in some public locations (6), and community mask use was recommended by nearly all major public health bodies. This is a radical change from the early days of the pandemic, when masks were infrequently recommended or used.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:36 pm

Masks are probably a waste of time.

Haven’t read it….just saw it.

Not sure if a real life tests (outside of a lab) has been conducted. Not sure how that would be done.
follow up, let me know if they create a market outside of lubbock!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:41 pm We are “devolving”:

Wu Lien Teh’s work to control the 1910 Manchurian Plague has been acclaimed as “a milestone in the systematic practice of epidemiological principles in disease control” (3), in which Wu identified the cloth mask as “the principal means of personal protection.” Although Wu designed the cloth mask that was used through most of the world in the early 20th century, he pointed out that the airborne transmission of plague was known since the 13th century, and face coverings were recommended for protection from respiratory pandemics since the 14th century (4). Wu reported on experiments that showed a cotton mask was effective at stopping airborne transmission, as well as on observational evidence of efficacy for health care workers. Masks have continued to be widely used to control transmission of respiratory infections in East Asia through to the present day, including for the COVID-19 pandemic (5).

In other parts of the world, however, mask usage in the community had fallen out of favor, until the impact of COVID-19 was felt throughout the world, when the discarded practice was rapidly readopted. By the end of June 2020, nearly 90% of the global population lived in regions that had nearly universal mask use, or had laws requiring mask use in some public locations (6), and community mask use was recommended by nearly all major public health bodies. This is a radical change from the early days of the pandemic, when masks were infrequently recommended or used.
wu's disciples should've shared that info with the who. we could've smashed the virus.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 pm

wu's disciples should've shared that info with the who. we could've smashed the virus.
Until I see otherwise, I am wearing my N-95 around people. What have I got to lose?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:17 pm

Until I see otherwise, I am wearing my N-95 around people. What have I got to lose?
literally nothing. plus you have them all.
ggait

Post by ggait »

I edited it for you:

Suck it up, get a darn shot.

If everyone would just get the forking shot, we really wouldn't have anything to guess about.

We wouldn't care whether masks work or are a waste of time. We wouldn't care about whether breakthrough infections are nothing-burgers (very likely) or transmission vectors.

The unvaccinated people are letting us down. Time to start blaming them.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Timonium. Most of the customers were white, but regardless of color, ethnicity, I don't think I saw a single individual not wearing a mask. I also stopped by the Lowes in Timonium as well. Same result.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:23 pm

And I may unwittingly save someone else’s life by not infecting them….win-win!
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:47 pm

that's just what a knowledgeable, fitted-95-wearing person can do. you go, girl.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

so sad

BNO Newsroom @BNODesk
BREAKING: U.S. reports more than 100,000 new coronavirus cases, biggest one-day increase since February
9:44 PM · Jul 30, 2021·TweetDeck

I just returned from a week out in the mid-west, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and North Dakota, and can report that 99% of people on planes and in airport wore masks. Most indoor facilities had staff wearing masks, even in breweries, Twins game one night had masks and social distancing in the park.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:47 pm

that's just what a knowledgeable, fitted-95-wearing person can do. you go, girl.
I try!
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”