NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
smoova

Re: NESCAC

Post by smoova »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:53 am In terms of what is truly important, some great mid-week games this week. Union v Middlebury, great chance for Midd to test themselves before they play the NESCAC big boys.
Will Cabrini be able to slow down Tufts. Tufts is averaging almost 25 a game
Williams and RPI is another interesting LL-NESCAC game. RPI played Midd and Hamilton very tough, how will they do against Williams who had a big win v Bowdoin this weekend but got handled by Union
I don't think Cabrini hangs with Tufts past the first quarter. I am consistently amazed with how well Tufts is able to play only a few weeks after coach contact is permitted when all the other NESCACs seem to be scuffling along. (And yes, Woods seemed to have cracked the code as well this year.)

I noticed that Midd was still experimenting with swapping players between attack and middie on Saturday, so I'm not sure that offense is fully baked. I won't be surprised to see Union win by 6-8 and I won't completely write Midd off if that happens.

Williams has surprised me. The manhandling they endured at Union was expected considering how early that game fell in the season, but I didn't anticipate them slipping past Bowdoin. I think the Midd game really stunned RPI (surrendering a 5 goal lead and losing on a last-minute, shorthanded goal), and the Engineers were still staggering when they played Hamilton. I think that confidence is shaken and a rising Williams wins by 3 or 4.

I actually think the Amherst/Springfield game will be interesting. Springfield gave Union a game, then got boat-raced by Tufts, and then took down an upstart Endicott team. I think Amherst wins handily, but this could be a game into the 4th quarter.

Speaking of Endicott, their game with Bowdoin is also fascinating. Mason's Polar Bears are definitely fighting a sophomore slump and this game could be a tipping point. I think Bowdoin rights the ship, wins by 4-5 and rolls into the Wes game with some momentum.

MIT is surging, but I think Hamilton's defense is too much and the Continentals take this game by 4.

USCGA had a nice start to the season, but Wes got a serious wake-up call at Stevens and the Cardinals roll here by 10.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

Tufts going to set a record on goals vs cabrini if they keep at this rate
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Another blowout by Tufts. Besides Amherst, not sure if anyone will even hang with them. Only real game rest of the season is Union.
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

Down in Austin, TX …. Middlebury leads Union 9-3 at halftime
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

The12lov3 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:54 pm Another blowout by Tufts. Besides Amherst, not sure if anyone will even hang with them. Only real game rest of the season is Union.
Union lost a bunch and they’ll likely be a one and done making it to the champ series again. Only game I see is Bowdoin. Makes you wonder if Tufts out of conference play is too easy. Amherst at least has York SJF
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

End of 3Q …. Middlebury up 13-6. Still a lot of lacrosse left.
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

Final: Middlebury 15 Union 9.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

georgeoar394 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:02 pm Union lost a bunch and they’ll likely be a one and done making it to the champ series again. Only game I see is Bowdoin. Makes you wonder if Tufts out of conference play is too easy. Amherst at least has York SJF
1. Tufts beat St. John Fisher by 14 goals last season, and this year's SJF team is significantly worse than last year's
2. York is probably at the same level as Lynchburg, and a bit better than Cabrini

Anyway...don't think it makes much sense to call an OOC schedule with Lynchburg/Cabrini/Stevens too easy overall. They're all ranked opponents. I just think it looks like it's too easy because Tufts is that much better than nearly every D-III team. Probably very fun for them, but not as much fun for everyone who wants to watch competitive midweek lacrosse.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Outstanding win for Midd. Trinity over a certainly not strong but not terrible Emerson. As for Tufts, what is there to say? I agree they would be better served by a stronger OOC schedule but that really can’t be determined for sure until
The season has started, it was reasonable to think Cabrini, Lynchburg, Stevens and Union would be stern challenges. I certainly recall years gone by where it looked like they could score 25 on anyone and then struggled to break 10 vs Salisbury, even in wins. So we will see but madre de dios, they really could have put up 35 on Stevens and Cabrini. After the Lynchburg game the talk was that it was such a blowout at least in part because the snow slowed down Lynchburg. I think it’s just as likely the only reason Tufts didn’t hang 27 was the slick field. They are scary.
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

And Boyden with another 10 points tonight for a total of 58 on the season through 6 games, most of which he isn’t playing in the 4th quarters. Boggles the mind…
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
smoova

Post by smoova »

georgeoar394 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:02 pm
The12lov3 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:54 pm Another blowout by Tufts. Besides Amherst, not sure if anyone will even hang with them. Only real game rest of the season is Union.
Union lost a bunch and they’ll likely be a one and done making it to the champ series again. Only game I see is Bowdoin. Makes you wonder if Tufts out of conference play is too easy. Amherst at least has York SJF
These comments are pretty funny considering what Midd did to both Bowdoin and Union.
Last edited by smoova on Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Definitely looking forward to see what Midd can do with Tufts. Union win is very impressive. Game with St. Lawrence should be great too. If Bowdoin put up 15, Tufts will score in buckets but Midd should too. Certainly could see another 25-22 type game.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

ah23 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:57 pm
georgeoar394 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:02 pm Union lost a bunch and they’ll likely be a one and done making it to the champ series again. Only game I see is Bowdoin. Makes you wonder if Tufts out of conference play is too easy. Amherst at least has York SJF
1. Tufts beat St. John Fisher by 14 goals last season, and this year's SJF team is significantly worse than last year's
2. York is probably at the same level as Lynchburg, and a bit better than Cabrini

Anyway...don't think it makes much sense to call an OOC schedule with Lynchburg/Cabrini/Stevens too easy overall. They're all ranked opponents. I just think it looks like it's too easy because Tufts is that much better than nearly every D-III team. Probably very fun for them, but not as much fun for everyone who wants to watch competitive midweek lacrosse.
I would say that Amhearst and york are on similar talent levels. The game this weekend was back and forth.
I would say Lynchburg is more on the level of Cabrini.

Tufts looks good. But lax is all about matchups. I think there are a few teams that would match up well with tufts. CNU, Amhearst, RIT , Salisbury. York and St Lawrence are possible good matchups with tufts also. Bottom line. Tufts isn’t going to have a cake walk to the championship. They are definitely the favorite right now. But it is still wide open
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Rockhopper wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:00 pm Down in Austin, TX …. Middlebury leads Union 9-3 at halftime
Thank you for the Austin clarification. I couldn't understand why the union midd game in "Schenectady" was in twilight while Tufts at Cabrini in Philly was dark. I guess I was too dumb to look at the fine print.
Last edited by Unknown Participant on Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

georgeoar394 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:02 pm
Tufts plays the toughest OOC schedule that it can. I'm not sure why Salisbury and RIT or even CNU aren't on the schedule, but Tufts has a history of dropping non-competitive OOC opponents and adding others. See Endicott, Ithaca, Stevenson, Gettysburg, Keene St., etc. Maybe Lynchburg is on the way to the trash heap along with Cabrini. Union, last year's runner up (who beat Tufts last year), is on the schedule. Maybe Gburg gets back on next year.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:08 pm Definitely looking forward to see what Midd can do with Tufts. Union win is very impressive. Game with St. Lawrence should be great too. If Bowdoin put up 15, Tufts will score in buckets but Midd should too. Certainly could see another 25-22 type game.
Middlebury played a lot of zone D, and Union could not crack it.

Also, loved the Texan broadcasters. Funny how a little rain messed the up the broadcast. Would have been hilarious to have them do the Tufts/Lynchburg game with sideways sleet.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Good test for Hamilton today with MIT. Is MIT overrated? If not and the Continentals play close or win that would jam up the middle of the NESCAC in terms of capable teams moving into heavy conference play.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

Tough watching my cavs get dismantled like that but Tufts is so fun to watch. Push the ball every opportunity and every player on the field from Close D to Attack has the green light to go to goal.
warriorslax17

Post by warriorslax17 »

Great win for Middlebury. Seems like them Tufts and Amherst are going to make it a fun April and May.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Not Suitable wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:11 am Tough watching my cavs get dismantled like that but Tufts is so fun to watch. Push the ball every opportunity and every player on the field from Close D to Attack has the green light to go to goal.
Felt that NS. Tufts plays such an entertaining brand of ball. Love the attacking mentality. Felt a little like that 2014 Cabrini side with Elmer, Sobieski, DiSanzo, etc. Just rolling it out and running. Green lights.

Just so impressed with the Tufts side. Congrats on the road win and enjoy the rest of the season! NESCAC looks insane this year.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”