THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I just wanted to post a photo of some tin foil hats...

... which required a bit of a lead-in story.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Quick question ... when was the last time Hopkins beat Maryland twice in a single season?

DocBarrister :?:
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:25 pm Quick question ... when was the last time Hopkins beat Maryland twice in a single season?

Think they did it in '81 and '82. The '87 team lost to Maryland in the regular season. The loser of the regular season game tends to win the NCAA rematch, at least in this rivalry.

The next time will be on Thursday, May 2nd, 2019.

;)
Hopkins34

Post by Hopkins34 »

74,77,78,79,81 and 82. Since the series started. Like to see it happen again.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

It’s now possible to beat them three times in a year too.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Thanks, everyone.

So, the Blue Jays have the chance to achieve something that hasn’t been done since 1982. That should be more than enough to charge this Hopkins team to another victory!

As for the unprecedented trifecta, we’ll see if they can earn that chance.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Don’t go full koolaid. Never go full koolaid.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:17 am 3:17am
Are you an actual bat?
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:59 am As for the unprecedented trifecta, we’ll see if they can earn that chance.
More like if Maryland makes it far enough to play Hopkins again, amiright?
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Hawkeye wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:16 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:17 am 3:17am
Are you an actual bat?
I think so. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the Bat Signal though.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:35 am I think I'm usually right there in the reasonableness foxhole with you steelhop but I am going to take a couple of the other sides to your thoughts. I fail to see how Maryland shrank their game plan. They looked pretty efficient and up for the game when they scored on their first five shots and looked close to running Hopkins out of the building. Maybe at that point some overconfidence seeped in and they thought Hopkins might roll up and surrender but the difference after the first quarter was possession time. Maryland's game plan has to be - get the ball more and do what we do. And while I made the exact same point as you on turnovers - Darby has certainly played better than a 15% save percentage so those two issues MIGHT cancel each other out. If Darby repeats his Week-end performance Hopkins will almost certainly lose as I agree - 14 turnovers and some of those turnovers are not very likely to repeat themselves. But if he was at 45% on Saturday that's 4 more possessions.
Sorry. I didn't quite convey what I meant. I'm sure Tillman put a game plan in place for last week's game with certain players taking other players and offensive schemes in how they want to attack Hopkins defense. My argument is that he likely didn't reach into the full game plan - particularly on defense. I didn't see a ton of defensive adjustments by MD in the 2nd half. I don't think he altered his match-ups (again I watched the game on a flight on small screen in the back of the seat in front of me on the plane). As you noted, they will likely switch them up some.

They tried to play zone...but did it pretty poorly. Zinn ally dodge and driving to the middle of the field drive weren't big parts of the Hopkins offense until Saturday. I'd imagine Tillman will be ready for that. I'd also wager, they won't get hung up leaving Epstein alone undefended behind goal. though, I'll be honest, I think the two times that happened MD was playing zone. If I was him, I'd be pretty happy about the offensive output just need to tighten up a couple of bad passes otherwise the Hopkins defense didn't slow MD's offense down in the least.

But, overall, my point is that they left some tactics in the bag for Thursday's game. I think Tillman was content to play a very basic game on Saturday. Doesn't mean he didn't want to win or that he didn't have specific ideas on what he wanted Md to do in the game just that he kept the plan relatively vanilla. I'd imagine he will work to try to get dubick more in the offense, especially guarded by a shortie. I'd imagine he did some things on offense, saw that they worked and probably put those back in the bag for Thursday's game.

I also think it is easier to get up for a game when your backs are against the wall. I give the Hopkins' players a ton of credit. To have their backs against the wall,likely be sky high to start the game,start off down 5-1 and come back and win that is unbelievable. Shows great fortitude. Many times teams in that situation will collapse.

As for Darby, he needs to step it up. There is no question. The tough part is that he hasn't played very well since the SU game. In B!G play he is saving at .405% rate. His save rate against the other 3 teams in the conference tournament is .369%. I am sure he would agree that is not getting the job done. There are just too many saveable shots that are getting past him. He needs to step up his game. The entire defense needs to do the same. Too many guys are running free or getting wide open (which has been typical the last decade). The team won on Saturday but the defense didn't play well at all and was helped out by some intangibles like by bad penalties by MD (can't count on that), poor unforced turn overs by MD (can't count on that) and a strong performance at the face-off and GB game (you hope these repeat).
viper

Post by viper »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 am As for Darby, he needs to step it up. There is no question. The tough part is that he hasn't played very well since the SU game. In B!G play he is saving at .405% rate. His save rate against the other 3 teams in the conference tournament is .369%. I am sure he would agree that is not getting the job done. There are just too many saveable shots that are getting past him. He needs to step up his game. The entire defense needs to do the same. Too many guys are running free or getting wide open (which has been typical the last decade). The team won on Saturday but the defense didn't play well at all and was helped out by some intangibles like by bad penalties by MD (can't count on that), poor unforced turn overs by MD (can't count on that) and a strong performance at the face-off and GB game (you hope these repeat).
Another aspect that is not getting much acclaim from last week's game was the energy level that Hopkins played at. I have not seen that from this team all year. Lot's of instances of players leaving it all out on the field.

My one question, and I realize it's a bit late to even do anything about it, is about Darby. His numbers as you quote them, don't bear out those of a successful starting goalie in D1. In most situations those numbers would result in backup status. Having said that, is there nobody else on the roster who can better those numbers? Giacalone came in with great acclaim and yet he sits on the sidelines behind a GK with lower than 50% save percentage. Last week's game statistics (15% save pct) for Darby usually result in time on the sideline for most other teams.

I also heard a rumor that the 2018 CHC GK (Liam Darragh) quit the team the day he arrived on campus last fall? Can anyone confirm or deny that?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

viper wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:46 am
steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 am As for Darby, he needs to step it up. There is no question. The tough part is that he hasn't played very well since the SU game. In B!G play he is saving at .405% rate. His save rate against the other 3 teams in the conference tournament is .369%. I am sure he would agree that is not getting the job done. There are just too many saveable shots that are getting past him. He needs to step up his game. The entire defense needs to do the same. Too many guys are running free or getting wide open (which has been typical the last decade). The team won on Saturday but the defense didn't play well at all and was helped out by some intangibles like by bad penalties by MD (can't count on that), poor unforced turn overs by MD (can't count on that) and a strong performance at the face-off and GB game (you hope these repeat).
Another aspect that is not getting much acclaim from last week's game was the energy level that Hopkins played at. I have not seen that from this team all year. Lot's of instances of players leaving it all out on the field.

My one question, and I realize it's a bit late to even do anything about it, is about Darby. His numbers as you quote them, don't bear out those of a successful starting goalie in D1. In most situations those numbers would result in backup status. Having said that, is there nobody else on the roster who can better those numbers? Giacalone came in with great acclaim and yet he sits on the sidelines behind a GK with lower than 50% save percentage. Last week's game statistics (15% save pct) for Darby usually result in time on the sideline for most other teams.

I also heard a rumor that the 2018 CHC GK (Liam Darragh) quit the team the day he arrived on campus last fall? Can anyone confirm or deny that?
I am not 100% sure but I think Darragh decided last summer, before he got to campus, to attend Hopkins but not play lacrosse.

We all know that the defense has done Darby no favors this year, and he's demonstrated an ability to make some nice saves in tight (especially down low), but 46% or whatever he's at right now is not going to cut it. Has to be better than that no matter what the defense is. For whatever reason he has not been great at tracking mid-to-long range shots and is slow getting to his offstick side.

Schneider and Turnbaugh both improved (somewhat) in their careers after similar starts in their first years as the starter. So maybe he'll settle in and play better as he's more comfortable with the defense and can just focus more on stopping the ball instead of what the defense is doing. (I don't know if that's what is happening now, but it's a theory). But the mediocre goaltending on this team has become an extremely concerning trend. I'm not sure exactly what LQ does but whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be working very well. Statistics-wise we are well past the point of considering a change but after the Logan-Turnbaugh flip-flopping I wonder if Petro is now worried about doing the whole revolving door thing.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:17 am Don’t go full koolaid. Never go full koolaid.
It’s far too late for that, old friend ... far too late.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:09 am

I am not 100% sure but I think Darragh decided last summer, before he got to campus, to attend Hopkins but not play lacrosse.

We all know that the defense has done Darby no favors this year, and he's demonstrated an ability to make some nice saves in tight (especially down low), but 46% or whatever he's at right now is not going to cut it. Has to be better than that no matter what the defense is. For whatever reason he has not been great at tracking mid-to-long range shots and is slow getting to his offstick side.

Schneider and Turnbaugh both improved (somewhat) in their careers after similar starts in their first years as the starter. So maybe he'll settle in and play better as he's more comfortable with the defense and can just focus more on stopping the ball instead of what the defense is doing. (I don't know if that's what is happening now, but it's a theory). But the mediocre goaltending on this team has become an extremely concerning trend. I'm not sure exactly what LQ does but whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be working very well. Statistics-wise we are well past the point of considering a change but after the Logan-Turnbaugh flip-flopping I wonder if Petro is now worried about doing the whole revolving door thing.
See that Darragh is enrolled in the School of Education, which is odd. Is this some type of redshirting?

@DocBarrister
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:01 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:09 am

See that Darragh is enrolled in the School of Education, which is odd. Is this some type of redshirting?

Difficult to redshirt if you are not on the team. Could very well be he doesn’t want to play lacrosse...
SocHop72

Post by SocHop72 »

Good afternoon,
I have not posted since laxpower was up, but I wanted to reply to those who posted that the Hop had not beaten Maryland twice in the same season since 1982. 36 years is a long time, but you must remember that during that time, the Jays faced the Terps only once 29 times during a season. They split 6 times, and Maryland won twice in 2012. Hard to win twice? Yes, but it is doable. Here's to a daily double on Thursday. Go Jays!!
swf

Post by swf »

by Jaysjay88 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:50 pm

So now I debate a different question. Does last night prove Petro still has it in him to coach Jays' teams to their potential and should stay, or does it confirm that he hasn't been, can't do it consistently, and therefore must go? I think I come down on the side of going, but anyone change their mind after last night?
The people who really love men’s collegiate lacrosse either;
1) Love the Jays or
2) Love to hate the Jays.

But nobody wants anything bad to happen to the program. Men’s college lacrosse is Johns Hopkins. Petro’s strategy; his wins and losses; his recruiting are all fodder for the loyal cognoscenti but irrelevant to the big picture. For years we’ve been dreading a Woody Hayes or Chris Bates moment during a game or an incident at a practice. At heart the guy’s a bully and my hunch is that the upper-class men are right back in his profane face. But is this what we want for our players?

Anger and Oedipal aggression bubble just below the surface. Watch his face on the video close ups and his mincing gait on the sidelines for those at the stadium. Hopkins student athletes are very intelligent men. Some describe a similar personality in their Psych class and discuss the diagnosis with their teammates.

The question for the Hopkins lacrosse community and administration is why is this psychotic behavior tolerated? It wouldn’t be tolerated from any other professor, lecturer, administrator, security guard or groundskeeper. Imagine checking into the Medical Center and watching your 400lb surgeon scream, curse and threaten one of the nurses.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

swf wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:47 pm Petro’s strategy; his wins and losses; his recruiting are all fodder for the loyal cognoscenti but irrelevant to the big picture. For years we’ve been dreading a Woody Hayes or Chris Bates moment during a game or an incident at a practice. At heart the guy’s a bully and my hunch is that the upper-class men are right back in his profane face. But is this what we want for our players?

Anger and Oedipal aggression bubble just below the surface. Watch his face on the video close ups and his mincing gait on the sidelines for those at the stadium. Hopkins student athletes are very intelligent men. Some describe a similar personality in their Psych class and discuss the diagnosis with their teammates.

The question for the Hopkins lacrosse community and administration is why is this psychotic behavior tolerated? It wouldn’t be tolerated from any other professor, lecturer, administrator, security guard or groundskeeper. Imagine checking into the Medical Center and watching your 400lb surgeon scream, curse and threaten one of the nurses.
This is precious. Have you ever played a team sport?
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

swf wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:47 pm
by Jaysjay88 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:50 pm

So now I debate a different question. Does last night prove Petro still has it in him to coach Jays' teams to their potential and should stay, or does it confirm that he hasn't been, can't do it consistently, and therefore must go? I think I come down on the side of going, but anyone change their mind after last night?
The people who really love men’s collegiate lacrosse either;
1) Love the Jays or
2) Love to hate the Jays.

But nobody wants anything bad to happen to the program. Men’s college lacrosse is Johns Hopkins. Petro’s strategy; his wins and losses; his recruiting are all fodder for the loyal cognoscenti but irrelevant to the big picture. For years we’ve been dreading a Woody Hayes or Chris Bates moment during a game or an incident at a practice. At heart the guy’s a bully and my hunch is that the upper-class men are right back in his profane face. But is this what we want for our players?

Dude just admit it, your son probably just wasn't good enough. You clearly have a personal stake in this and have it out for this guy for some reason.

Your post is more "psychotic" than anything Petro has done. Except maybe sit Zinn for 90% of the year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”