NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
nehslaxfan

Re: NESCAC

Post by nehslaxfan »

Couldn't agree more with Ramsfan. This isn't youth lacrosse, it is college lacrosse. Trinity played 3 goalies in the game, none of which was their starter, starters were out early 2nd half and the box score shows that 47 players got in the game for Trinity, with 16 different players scoring goals. It is very difficult to get 47 players into a lacrosse game. I think the anti Trinity vibe on this site is over the top personally.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

RamsFan wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:51 am
SunocoCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:18 pm Trinity tops Wentworth 25-4 in Boston. They scored in the first five seconds and pumped in three goals in the final 1:15 of the game (with a 18 goal lead) and took another shot at the buzzer the sailed wide. Not a great look for the coaching staff that allows that to happen. Even Tufts calls off the dogs in the final minutes in their blowouts. Yes - Trinity pulled the starters in the fourth quarter, and this will be one of the last opportunities for those kids to play. But coaches should have run out the clock.
100% agree if they still had the starters in call off the dogs (and no way should they still even be on field at that point). But to tell a kid who busts his ass every day at practice, supports his teammates who do get playing time, but is 2nd or 3rd line and therefore will go weeks or more at a time without setting foot on a field on game day (and not to mention whose family pays $80k/yr to that school, in part because he wants to be part of the lax program) .........that just because they are up big and they dont want to hurt the other teams feelings, in your few minutes of playing time this month, dont actual play and compete like a real game, just toss the ball around...................well thats a frikking joke. Go the goal johnny, and play until the last whistle, if the other guys can't stop you, then maybe they should have spent less time drinking beer at the frat house instead of in the gym during the fall.

We aren't in youth league any more. This is college sports, and everyone is there to win. F-their feelings. If you dont want to lose by 15, get better. Hell, when i was coaching youth, there were a few situations over the years we were losing by enough that (by CONNY rules) we could elect to take the ball rather than face off. But unless we were losing every draw where my kids weren't even getting to touch the ball on O, I would reject the "charity" and keep on facing off. And the kids were glad....they felt like taking the free possession was conceding and giving up.

AN JUST TO BE CLEAR, if it was the starters still pumping in goals (even early) in the 4th quarter up by 15, then I agree 100% that is complete BS. Both uncool to the opponent as well as to the kids further down the bench.
This post is brought to you by the Friends of Trinity Lacrosse!
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

NNELax wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:12 pm
SunocoCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:18 pm Trinity tops Wentworth 25-4 in Boston. They scored in the first five seconds and pumped in three goals in the final 1:15 of the game (with a 18 goal lead) and took another shot at the buzzer the sailed wide. Not a great look for the coaching staff that allows that to happen. Even Tufts calls off the dogs in the final minutes in their blowouts. Yes - Trinity pulled the starters in the fourth quarter, and this will be one of the last opportunities for those kids to play. But coaches should have run out the clock.
100% agree if they still had the starters in call off the dogs (and no way should they still even be on field at that point). But to tell a kid who busts his ass every day at practice, supports his teammates who do get playing time, but is 2nd or 3rd line and therefore will go weeks or more at a time without setting foot on a field on game day (and not to mention whose family pays $80k/yr to that school, in part because he wants to be part of the lax program) .........that just because they are up big and they dont want to hurt the other teams feelings, in your few minutes of playing time this month, dont actual play and compete like a real game, just toss the ball around...................well thats a frikking joke. Go the goal johnny, and play until the last whistle, if the other guys can't stop you, then maybe they should have spent less time drinking beer at the frat house instead of in the gym during the fall.

We aren't in youth league any more. This is college sports, and everyone is there to win. F-their feelings. If you dont want to lose by 15, get better. Hell, when i was coaching youth, there were a few situations over the years we were losing by enough that (by CONNY rules) we could elect to take the ball rather than face off. But unless we were losing every draw where my kids weren't even getting to touch the ball on O, I would reject the "charity" and keep on facing off. And the kids were glad....they felt like taking the free possession was conceding and giving up.

AN JUST TO BE CLEAR, if it was the starters still pumping in goals (even early) in the 4th quarter up by 15, then I agree 100% that is complete BS. Both uncool to the opponent as well as to the kids further down the bench.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ergit

Post by ergit »

With my son’s coach, up by 15, no one is scoring in the last 5 minutes, including against Tufts…
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

nehslaxfan wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:00 pm Couldn't agree more with Ramsfan. This isn't youth lacrosse, it is college lacrosse. Trinity played 3 goalies in the game, none of which was their starter, starters were out early 2nd half and the box score shows that 47 players got in the game for Trinity, with 16 different players scoring goals. It is very difficult to get 47 players into a lacrosse game. I think the anti Trinity vibe on this site is over the top personally.
This post is also brought to you by the Friends of Trinity Lacrosse!
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

I have no connection to any of the teams mentioned. I agree. If this was starters, or kids that usually get playing time (2nd mid line), I would be upset. But most of these teams have kids that never play, and will stand on the sidelines in 35 degree games while wearing shorts. This might be one of the few chances to score a college goal. I say go for it. If the other team didn’t want any more goals scores, they can call the game. Most likely, both teams are clearing the bench at this point and the score is irrelevant. Coaches are wanting to see some of the bench on the field.
RamsFan

Post by RamsFan »

No, just brought to you by someone who didn't hand out participations trophies to 15 yr old athletes, or offer trigger warnings to both parents and kids before I (as the coach) yelled at a kid to get his butt back on defense rather than turn his palms to the air and and look for the hole in his mesh after a turn over.
RamsFan

Post by RamsFan »

ergit wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:28 pm

With my son’s coach, up by 15, no one is scoring in the last 5 minutes, including against Tufts…
I would hazard to guess if your son hadn't sniffed the field for five games, and was put in on attack with 5:30 left in the game, your tune might change.

Plus, I dont think anyone, other than maybe ND or UVa, would be up 15 on tufts with 5 min left......
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

RamsFan wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:28 pm

No, just brought to you by someone who didn't hand out participations trophies to 15 yr old athletes, or offer trigger warnings to both parents and kids before I (as the coach) yelled at a kid to get his butt back on defense rather than turn his palms to the air and and look for the hole in his mesh after a turn over.
Ahhh the participation trophy angle..."Wasn't like that in my day...had to earn EVERYTHING!" Colby does the same thing...beat up on bad teams and pump their chest...LAME
SunocoCharlie

Post by SunocoCharlie »

AbeFroeman wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:25 pm I have no connection to any of the teams mentioned. I agree. If this was starters, or kids that usually get playing time (2nd mid line), I would be upset. But most of these teams have kids that never play, and will stand on the sidelines in 35 degree games while wearing shorts. This might be one of the few chances to score a college goal. I say go for it. If the other team didn’t want any more goals scores, they can call the game. Most likely, both teams are clearing the bench at this point and the score is irrelevant. Coaches are wanting to see some of the bench on the field.
I hear the arguments and it sounds like we have all been the before. Being on either side of a blowout is no fun for anyone. But there is a difference between "letting the kids play" and embarrassing another team. I can (somewhat) ignore the goal with 1:18 remaining to make it 23-4. Perhaps it came late in the shot clock. But scoring twice in the final :28 seconds of the game is entirely unnecessary, especially when the shot clock is off. Football is played in cold weather too. When the backups come in, they still run an offense without throwing for the endzone on every play. Basketball can work the clock and not to go the hoop in the first 8 seconds. And if you score in the waning seconds of a hockey blowout, you will have a brawl on the ice. Lacrosse doesn't have to be different and coaches can manage these games. Tell your offense they are up by two with a minute left and need to possess the ball - you will likely need that later in the season even if you are on the scout team. Let the D press out and the offense can still play hard in a real scenario. You can also run your offense and just miss the net.

Coaches wanting to see the reserves play? No way. Coaches have two thoughts in these games - 1) It's way too cold out here and I want this game to end and 2) I want to go home with no injuries. I was watching the stream but I suspect that the Trinity players faced much better competition on their high school field than against the end of the Wentworth bench. It's awesome to get that first college goal but maybe get it in your sophomore year against Middlebury. That would probably mean more to the player.

Oh yeah - the player that scored the 25th goal - he's the second FOGO that has played in 3 of the first 4 games. That's not the 47th player on the bench. I'm sure he wanted a goal, and I have seen plenty of FOGOS take it down the middle and score only to be helped off the field. Cue the Friday Night LIghts soundtrack. Sure - maybe Trinity only brought 2 FOGOs to the game. But did they not have a backup LSM with tape on his stick to take a draw in an emergency? Why not send that unit out to practice it. You will probably need it at some point in the season and if you don't have one, that's poor preparation. To my point #2 above - that's a better option than coming home with only 1 FOGO as your season is ramping up.

This isn't hating on Trinity and I would feel the same way about Tufts, Tampa, or Towson. I didn't see the end of Tufts putting up 31 to comment on how they played it. I do feel that scoring twice in the final seconds of a game, and one more shot at the buzzer, is to embarrass your opponent. I randomly picked 10 games on Inside Lacrosse with a delta of 16 or more goals. Not a single team with the lead scored in the final minute of the game and most stopped scoring with 4-5 minutes remaining. Sounds like we have all been there before. And you can win a blowout with class .... or you can win it another way.

:D This message was brought to you by Friends of Wentworth Lacrosse :D Gotta love the internet!
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

As enjoyable as the Trinity v. Wentworth Tech talk has been, the Bates bobcats put up a pretty surprising fight with Amherst this morning at the mustang classic. Good battle by coach Annino and the boys. Hopefully he gets his first win soon. May be tough this season though
smoova

Post by smoova »

boredatwork wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:51 pm As enjoyable as the Trinity v. Wentworth Tech talk has been, the Bates bobcats put up a pretty surprising fight with Amherst this morning at the mustang classic. Good battle by coach Annino and the boys. Hopefully he gets his first win soon. May be tough this season though
Agreed. After watching that game, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bates upset Williams, Bowdoin or Midd. It was clear that Annino's staff paid attention to the Tufts/Amherst game as (I think) DeMallie was held without a point today.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Getting mad about backups and third stringers playing hard during what may be one of the only chances they get to step on a college lacrosse field is a joke. Can’t stand that take.
Razor21

Post by Razor21 »

ah23 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:21 pm Getting mad about backups and third stringers playing hard during what may be one of the only chances they get to step on a college lacrosse field is a joke. Can’t stand that take.
+1
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Great win for Amherst over a York team that is much stronger than their record (what an opening schedule for them). Jeffs O looking absolutely dynamic. Ephs up 9-7 so far on Polar Bears, that would be a nice win for them. Hamilton looking impressive vs CC, really nice job building that program over the past few years. Roughly similar type kids their as at other NESCACs but should have a bit of a unique recruiting pool in NY relative to the others, seems it presents an opportunity to pick up some talent without having to recruit directly against a Tufts or Amherst
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I should add Bates hanging very tight with St. Lawrence after they just smacked around Lynchburg, Trinity hanging in with Midd, nice to see them really putting out an effort in what looks to be a tough year.
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

Definitely gonna tune in to todays tufts stream. Their annual trip to jersey should be an interesting one. Tufts by 3.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:43 am Definitely gonna tune in to todays tufts stream. Their annual trip to jersey should be an interesting one. Tufts by 3.
By 3? I'd probably bet that it's a pretty big blow out, Tufts by 10 at least
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

georgeoar394 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:13 am
HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:43 am Definitely gonna tune in to todays tufts stream. Their annual trip to jersey should be an interesting one. Tufts by 3.
By 3? I'd probably bet that it's a pretty big blow out, Tufts by 10 at least
Was a close game at the half. Tufts seems to have made adjustments at the half. Stevens not too sure
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

As far as the reserves and teams running it up, its not about youth lacrosse and participation trophies and to go there is ridiculous and people trying to show that they are tough guys. It is a matter of having some class, and yes if you are up big and the reserves are all and it is the start of the 4th or even 5 minutes left in and they are scoring well then that is the other teams problem, be better and stop them.

I think the point here, is that if there are 20 seconds to go in a game and you are up 18-20 goals and you are still scoring and taking a shot as the final horn is blowing, then that is showing a lack of class and a coach that does not respect the other staff or players. So when Trinity is down 20 or so at Tufts this weekend and they are still running and gunning and they are taunting you remember what comes around.

In terms of what is truly important, some great mid-week games this week. Union v Middlebury, great chance for Midd to test themselves before they play the NESCAC big boys.
Will Cabrini be able to slow down Tufts. Tufts is averaging almost 25 a game
Williams and RPI is another interesting LL-NESCAC game. RPI played Midd and Hamilton very tough, how will they do against Williams who had a big win v Bowdoin this weekend but got handled by Union

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”