JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
njbill

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by njbill »

Khamenei tweets to Trump “you can’t do anything” and Trump responds with an assassination. Unbelievably dumb and incredibly reckless and dangerous.

And, no, this isn’t even remotely comparable to Yamamoto. He was killed 16 months after the U.S. had entered the biggest war the world has ever seen. Is that where we are headed now?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

No nation on Earth has more expertise in terrorism than Iran.

Trump properties are soft targets. If you live, work, or play in a Trump property, you may have good reason to worry.

This action was impulsive and reckless, just like the president who ordered it.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
old salt

Post by old salt »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:34 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:31 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:48 pm .:shock:. Soleimani was the IRGC's HMFIC. Game on.

Another leader of the Baghdad protests was a guest in the Obama WH.
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/oba ... ite-house/
He was duly elected...it’s not illegal
This is a Huge deal. (not unlike the downing of Yamamoto's aircraft).
Soleimani is responsible for killing & maiming hundreds, maybe thousands, of US troops.
I wondered if he was in Iran or Iraq & if we'd try to target him.
I didn't think we'd aim this high, or that he'd expose himself.
That's some remarkable intel & targeting.
Thanks for your usual stupid trolling, you add so much to the discussion.
Gives you a boner I bet. :roll: Will see if you keep you boner when a ton of American servicemen die in retaliation. You got the war you've been aching for.
What is truly disgusting is that so many of Trump’s avid supporters here are old ... and it will be the young who die when (not if) Iran exacts its revenge.

DocBarrister
I don't see how any of the info I posted could be interpreted as celebratory. More like surprise.

What gives me a boner is watching you bed wetters lash out with your childish personal attacks.

There will not be a war with Iran unless Iran wants a war.
If so, it will be fought on our terms, from the air & sea.

Mourn for Soleimani.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/02/trump-j ... imani.html
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:57 am
old salt wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:48 pm .:shock:. Soleimani was the IRGC's HMFIC. Game on.

Soleimani is responsible for killing & maiming hundreds, maybe thousands, of US troops.
Gives you a boner I bet. :roll: Will see if you keep you boner when a ton of American servicemen die in retaliation. You got the war you've been aching for.
What is truly disgusting is that so many of Trump’s avid supporters here are old ... and it will be the young who die when (not if) Iran exacts its revenge.

DocBarrister
I don't see how any of the info I posted could be interpreted as celebratory. More like surprise.

What gives me a boner is watching you bed wetters lash out with your childish personal attacks.

Mourn for Soleimani.
It’s amazing how much you don’t understand. Killing Soleimani was an act of war against Iran. Trump just turned a simmering proxy war (exacerbated by Trump’s reckless “maximum pressure” campaign) into a direct one.

And asymmetric wars, which this certainly will be, are NEVER fought on our terms.

It’s worth wondering whether this impulsive, reckless act of war against Iran explains the recent spate of resignations at the Pentagon.

Five top Pentagon officials have resigned in the last week. Should we, um, be worried?

While much of the nation has been focused on impeachment, Team Trump’s capacity for bungling absolutely everything else remains undiminished. The last week has seen five new high-level resignations inside the Department of Defense: The latest is senior adviser for international cooperation Tina Kaidanow, who left on Monday. Other departures include top Asia policy chief Randall Schriver and Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence Kari Bingen.

What's going on? It's not clear, other than the usual: Under Trump, being an expert in policy, intelligence, or anything else means holding a tenuous position at best, and being in the federal government as a gaggle of possibly criminal idiots (see: Giuliani, Rudy) wreck much of what you've been working on over the course of your career has got to be soul-crushing from week one—let alone how bad it has to be in year three.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2019/12/ ... be-worried

This dangerous act of war could certainly explain the recent resignations. These officials may have learned of the plan to initiate a direct war with Iran and didn’t want to sully their hands with the blood of the U.S. troops put at risk by Trump’s stupidity and arrogance.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

[/quote]
This is a Huge deal. (not unlike the downing of Yamamoto's aircraft).[/quote]

[/quote]I don't see how any of the info I posted could be interpreted as celebratory. More like surprise.

Mourn for Soleimani.[/quote]

C'mon. No one is "mourning Soleimani." Stay focused on the fact that the rest of us are, like you, Americans, and we are permitted to worry and criticize what appears, to many of us, to be a very dramatic act of war with no discernible plan. NJBill is right; the removal of Yamamoto was over a year into the War, and was part of a command strategy to reduce tactical excellence at the top of the military order of our adversary in the Pacific. The parallels are small, and Trump is neither Roosevelt nor Nimitz -- and you know it. So cut that sh*t out.

You also stoop to a violation of your oft-broken rule about denigrating folks on a personal basis -- bed wetters? Again, c'mon. You gonna call folks who express concern about the strategic direction of an assassination of a chief military and government figure of a long-time foe here "soy boys" in the future?

The real concern here, from the perspective of a citizenry that cannot but leave these sorts of military matters to the professionals -- intelligence, command strategy, planning for goals and worst-case scenarios, and the operational critical path and authorization ending with this President -- is that the citizenry and our allies cannot trust the President because of his propensity for falsehood, dissembling and campaigning at all costs. Democracies at war need popular support, and this President has spent his political lifetime dividing us. It's a big, big problem.
Last edited by seacoaster on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:57 am

DocBarrister

Mourn for Soleimani.
Yeehaw!
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Yammamoto was killed in April 1943, a year and a half after FDR declared war on Japan. No comparison whatsoever to this situation IMHO. No idea why anyone brought it up in the first place. It is certainly not relevant to the current situation.

What do we do if the government of Iraq orders all American and coalition forces out of the country? What effect does this have on forces deployed to Syria to deal with what is left of ISIS which are supported by forces in Northern and Central Iraq? A precipitous withdrawal of forces would certainly adversely effect how ISIS remnants are dealt with going forward, no? What happened to the "we are going to get out of the Middle East" deal? Looks like more of the ready-fire aim BS from Trumpty Dumpty administration. State is now telling US citizens in Iraq AFTER the strike to leave the country posthaste. All are likely targets for retaliation by Iran and its proxy forces in the region.

Incredible that we have people here seemingly welcoming a war in the air and at sea in the Middle East.

Lastly, would suggest to some of the alleged "adults" around here to take the admin's advice and, if they must, attack posts and not post-ers. Can the bedwetters and boner references which not helpful to any discussion. One Bandito is enough around here (when he is not on sanctioned vacation).
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

If the end-goal and prayers of the world by most people are for peace, then why would Iran and their military leaders try and shake down our embassy and those inside the green zone?

It seems we are more tolerant to give grace to the bad guys than our own country.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:23 am Yammamoto was killed in April 1943, a year and a half after FDR declared war on Japan. No comparison whatsoever to this situation IMHO. No idea why anyone brought it up in the first place. It is certainly not relevant to the current situation.

What do we do if the government of Iraq orders all American and coalition forces out of the country? What effect does this have on forces deployed to Syria to deal with what is left of ISIS which are supported by forces in Northern and Central Iraq? A precipitous withdrawal of forces would certainly adversely effect how ISIS remnants are dealt with going forward, no? What happened to the "we are going to get out of the Middle East" deal? Looks like more of the ready-fire aim BS from Trumpty Dumpty administration. State is now telling US citizens in Iraq AFTER the strike to leave the country posthaste. All are likely targets for retaliation by Iran and its proxy forces in the region.

Incredible that we have people here seemingly welcoming a war in the air and at sea in the Middle East.

Lastly, would suggest to some of the alleged "adults" around here to take the admin's advice and, if they must, attack posts and not post-ers. Can the bedwetters and boner references which not helpful to any discussion. One Bandito is enough around here (when he is not on sanctioned vacation).
Not to mention personal attacks, I would just add that everyone needs to see how this plays out and tone down all the speculation.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:56 am
Kismet wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:23 am Yammamoto was killed in April 1943, a year and a half after FDR declared war on Japan. No comparison whatsoever to this situation IMHO. No idea why anyone brought it up in the first place. It is certainly not relevant to the current situation.

Not to mention personal attacks, I would just add that everyone needs to see how this plays out and tone down all the speculation.
So we should wait before we speculate as to this being an “act of war”?
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:12 am

“act of war”?...perhaps.

The Revolutionary Guard and Quds Force are on the list of terrorist organizations, Soleimani is the leader of those organizations, seems as though he was fair game.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:19 am

“act of war”?...perhaps.

The Revolutionary Guard and Quds Force are on the list of terrorist organizations, Soleimani is the leader of those organizations, seems as though he was fair game.
Iran can place our Navy SEALs on a terrorist list..... Simple minded.
“I wish you would!”
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Speculation is pretty much all we have:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -quds-iran

"Some will characterise the killings as a huge blow to Iran’s proxy capabilities and wider policy in the region. But such an approach ignores how the Iranian system is structured.

Suleimani’s successor as Quds force leader – his long-time deputy Esmail Qaani – was announced within 12 hours of his death. And while Suleimani was charismatic and played a personal role in cultivating many of Iran’s relationships in the region, those ties do not rely on him alone. Rather they are the product of extensive and deep bonds that often go back decades and, in many instances, involve family ties.

Suleimani was well aware of the dangers of the job: as was his singular boss, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who in years past deemed him a “living martyr”. So succession planning was never far from his mind. Indeed, 62-year-old Suleimani gave his younger lieutenants considerable operational authority. In practice, this has meant the elevation of a new generation of Quds force operatives, some of whom Suleimani had already begun positioning in vital posts: a case in point is Iraj Masjedi, the current Iranian ambassador to Iraq.

So what comes next? Predictably, the Iranian authorities have promised “severe retaliation”. How that unfolds in practice is anyone’s guess. There is certainly no shortage of US targets in the region. But Suleimani may have, with his death, already have achieved the greatest revenge of all, and without firing a single bullet: namely, his ultimate objective of ending the US military presence in Iraq.

If he was indeed behind the attack on the US military base that ultimately precipitated his own assassination, then he has likely succeeded in trapping the US into initiating its own ejection from Iraq. So far, most Iraqi decision-makers – from the caretaker prime minister to the country’s highest spiritual authority – have condemned in no uncertain terms the violation of sovereignty that the assassination entailed.

As for Trump, he is stuck with the same problem he faced before Friday’s strike.

Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis: Iraqi killed in US strike was key militia figure
Read more
The United States is no closer to the much-touted “new deal” with Iran, which the president boasted would eclipse that negotiated by his predecessor. Whatever diplomatic off-ramps remained are rapidly crumbling. Meanwhile, at a time when his unprecedented sanctions had stirred unrest inside Iran, the political elite has just been handed a rallying cry. The strike on Suleimani, whose status approached that of national icon, will harden popular sentiment against the US while simultaneously shoring up the regime.

For all his crowing about the decisive blow dealt to an insolent enemy, Trump may be about to discover that the problem with martyrs is that they live forever."
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:21 am

“act of war”?...perhaps.

Thanks TLD, that's your stellar opinion of course.

Fine, if the SEALSs are on a terrorist list and they and the world knows it (which is the point of the list in the first place), it's probably a badge of honor.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:31 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:21 am

“act of war”?...perhaps.

Thanks TLD, that's your stellar opinion of course.

Fine, if the SEALSs are on a terrorist list and they and the world knows it (which is the point of the list in the first place), it's probably a badge of honor.
It’s simple minded. Put them on a list and then justify the action. When exactly was the Revolutionary Guard determined to be a ”terrorist organization”. I will wait for your answer.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:43 am If the end-goal and prayers of the world by most people are for peace, then why would Iran and their military leaders try and shake down our embassy and those inside the green zone?

It seems we are more tolerant to give grace to the bad guys than our own country.
What BS. :roll: Trump has been spoiling for this since he took office. Now he has got it. He just injected steroids into Bush's mistake!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Well bust my buttons....

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/08/71098739 ... ganization

See they are on the list so it must be so!
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:57 am Well bust my buttons....

Like it makes any difference to anything. It was a political assassination of a foreign leader on the soil of a third nation. Trump administration is now trying to put lipstick on this pig.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:11 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:57 am Well bust my buttons....

Like it makes any difference to anything. It was a political assassination of a foreign leader on the soil of a third nation. Trump administration is now trying to put lipstick on this pig.
Sheep.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:39 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:43 am If the end-goal and prayers of the world by most people are for peace, then why would Iran and their military leaders try and shake down our embassy and those inside the green zone?

What BS. :roll: Trump has been spoiling for this since he took office. Now he has got it. He just injected steroids into Bush's mistake!
What did Trump's Admin retaliation of Iran storming our embassy have to do with your take that he wanted this all along. Are you implying he staged Iran and their military leader to attack our embassy? I asked a serious question, and you played partisan politics.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “POLITICS”