NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
boredatwork

Re: NESCAC

Post by boredatwork »

https://rpiathletics.com/sports/2013/9 ... 34828.aspx

At 1:51:00 of the film the face off and timeout happen. If the refs check sticks on their own then they check one from each team. Looks like the ref near the RPI bench walked over and grabbed the stick of middlebury face off guy and all 3 officials congregated for it…can’t see what led to it but seems like a coach initiated challenge.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

boredatwork wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:30 pm https://rpiathletics.com/sports/2013/9 ... 34828.aspx

At 1:51:00 of the film the face off and timeout happen. If the refs check sticks on their own then they check one from each team. Looks like the ref near the RPI bench walked over and grabbed the stick of middlebury face off guy and all 3 officials congregated for it…can’t see what led to it but seems like a coach initiated challenge.
So RPI coach called for it?

If it is a playoff game, or even a league game with seeding on the line, I am ok with it. In an early season game between nonconference opponents it is a dbag move and karma has a funny way of working out.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:55 pm
boredatwork wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:30 pm https://rpiathletics.com/sports/2013/9 ... 34828.aspx

So RPI coach called for it?

If it is a playoff game, or even a league game with seeding on the line, I am ok with it. In an early season game between nonconference opponents it is a dbag move and karma has a funny way of working out.
Here’s a crazy idea, don’t play with an illegal stick maybe? (I realize the irony given my handle)
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
smoova

Post by smoova »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:43 pm Here’s a crazy idea, don’t play with an illegal stick maybe? (I realize the irony given my handle)
Tell me you're not familiar with the modern game without telling me you're not familiar with the modern game ...
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

smoova wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:47 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:43 pm Here’s a crazy idea, don’t play with an illegal stick maybe? (I realize the irony given my handle)
Tell me you're not familiar with the modern game without telling me you're not familiar with the modern game ...
…. Was there a penalty?
smoova

Post by smoova »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:48 pm
smoova wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:47 pm
…. Was there a penalty?
Every FOGO head is illegal immediately after a contested faceoff. It's entirely legal for a coach to call for a check on a FOGO and widely understood to be weak sauce. As @Unknown Participant noted, the Karma Express pulled into Troy, NY right on time.
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

Too bad that MIT and Conn was postponed would have been a good barometer for both teams. Conn has played well and MIT is considered the favorite in the NEWMAC and coming off a nice win against RPI. Hopefully Tufts and Lynchburg can get their game in later today. Rest of the mid week games are not very exciting, though Hamilton and RPI could be interesting. I understand why the Maine schools play some of the non-con games that they do but for the life of me have no idea why Trinity would play Wentworth or Wesleyan Salve Regina. Are they that desperate for a win? Do those games make you better. Really disappointing.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

lynchburg getting clobbered by Tufts. Unreal
UpperCorner22

Post by UpperCorner22 »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:30 pm Too bad that MIT and Conn was postponed would have been a good barometer for both teams. Conn has played well and MIT is considered the favorite in the NEWMAC and coming off a nice win against RPI. Hopefully Tufts and Lynchburg can get their game in later today. Rest of the mid week games are not very exciting, though Hamilton and RPI could be interesting. I understand why the Maine schools play some of the non-con games that they do but for the life of me have no idea why Trinity would play Wentworth or Wesleyan Salve Regina. Are they that desperate for a win? Do those games make you better. Really disappointing.
Sometimes coaches need some W's to keep their job - and after these games W's may be hard to come by.
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

UpperCorner22 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:32 am
JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:30 pm Too bad that MIT and Conn was postponed would have been a good barometer for both teams. Conn has played well and MIT is considered the favorite in the NEWMAC and coming off a nice win against RPI. Hopefully Tufts and Lynchburg can get their game in later today. Rest of the mid week games are not very exciting, though Hamilton and RPI could be interesting. I understand why the Maine schools play some of the non-con games that they do but for the life of me have no idea why Trinity would play Wentworth or Wesleyan Salve Regina. Are they that desperate for a win? Do those games make you better. Really disappointing.
Sometimes coaches need some W's to keep their job - and after these games W's may be hard to come by.
Yes, but lose to them, and it could cost you your job whereas if you go out and play a tough LL team or Centennial team if you lose, not that big of a deal, if you win great momentum builder plus the added benefit of getting your kids ready for a tough league schedule. The only possible benefit I can see in any of these games is getting other kids playing time. But what I have noticed across both D3 and D1 is that coaches very rarely play more than 18-24 kids regardless of the circumstances. Gone are the days of 3 middie lines or rotating attack and poles. Starters are seem to be going the distance no matter the score. Kind of a head scratcher considering how much rosters have ballooned over the past decade.
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

The12lov3 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:47 pm lynchburg getting clobbered by Tufts. Unreal
Did not feel like paying too watch the Jumbos (am I doing something wrong or are the only team in D3 you have to pay to watch), but a really impressive win. Lynchburg is a really good team!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:49 am
The12lov3 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:47 pm lynchburg getting clobbered by Tufts. Unreal
Did not feel like paying too watch the Jumbos (am I doing something wrong or are the only team in D3 you have to pay to watch), but a really impressive win. Lynchburg is a really good team!
Stream was free on jumbos’ YouTube. But weather / conditions made unwatchable for me. I was hoping for a great game coming in, but judging by the comments I didn’t miss much.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:49 am
Tufts has never charged for webcasts, their games are streamed on YouTube (or the Pack Network, which is still free). Rhodes of all places charges for games…can’t imagine paying.
SunocoCharlie

Post by SunocoCharlie »

Trinity tops Wentworth 25-4 in Boston. They scored in the first five seconds and pumped in three goals in the final 1:15 of the game (with a 18 goal lead) and took another shot at the buzzer the sailed wide. Not a great look for the coaching staff that allows that to happen. Even Tufts calls off the dogs in the final minutes in their blowouts. Yes - Trinity pulled the starters in the fourth quarter, and this will be one of the last opportunities for those kids to play. But coaches should have run out the clock. I'm not sure how that will prepare them at 3-0 Middlebury on Saturday. But Midd is coming off two - one goal wins so this will be a chance for Trinity to show if they are ready for primetime.

In the other midweek game, Wesleyan tops Salve 19-7. Not much to gain from that game. Wes has Colby then Coast Guard before getting into the bulk their league schedule. These games won't reveal much either. Perhaps it's a misprint or there is more to the story, but Coast Guard fell to SUNY Maritime 10-7 tonight.
smoova

Post by smoova »

SunocoCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:18 pmI'm not sure how that will prepare them at 3-0 Middlebury on Saturday. But Midd is coming off two - one goal wins so this will be a chance for Trinity to show if they are ready for primetime.
I started this season bullish on Midd, but have cooled a little after watching all three of their games. Following a slew of unsettled goals against Bowdoin, the Conn/RPI games showcased a settled offense and man up (0 for 8 @ RPI) plagued by poor shot selection/accuracy and dropped passes in critical moments. 

There are several young men playing outside of their rostered positions, so the OC may have been doing/permitting some experimenting, but I'm hoping the Conn/RPI games motivated some corrective tweaks. Kern can't stand on his head in every game and 10 goals isn't going to cut it against Union, Wesleyan, Amherst, Tufts, Hamilton, Williams ... and maybe even Trinity.
Last edited by smoova on Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
UpperCorner22

Post by UpperCorner22 »

SunocoCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:18 pm Trinity tops Wentworth 25-4 in Boston. They scored in the first five seconds and pumped in three goals in the final 1:15 of the game (with a 18 goal lead) and took another shot at the buzzer the sailed wide. Not a great look for the coaching staff that allows that to happen. Even Tufts calls off the dogs in the final minutes in their blowouts. Yes - Trinity pulled the starters in the fourth quarter, and this will be one of the last opportunities for those kids to play. But coaches should have run out the clock. I'm not sure how that will prepare them at 3-0 Middlebury on Saturday. But Midd is coming off two - one goal wins so this will be a chance for Trinity to show if they are ready for primetime.

In the other midweek game, Wesleyan tops Salve 19-7. Not much to gain from that game. Wes has Colby then Coast Guard before getting into the bulk their league schedule. These games won't reveal much either. Perhaps it's a misprint or there is more to the story, but Coast Guard fell to SUNY Maritime 10-7 tonight.
Stay classy Trinity.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Always my favorite when Lance and Muffy pump their chests on the superiority of the NESCAC...especially when their kid wins 3-5 games in conference in 4 years (if they make it that long)... :roll:
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

UpperCorner22 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:36 am
SunocoCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:18 pm Trinity tops Wentworth 25-4 in Boston. They scored in the first five seconds and pumped in three goals in the final 1:15 of the game (with a 18 goal lead) and took another shot at the buzzer the sailed wide. Not a great look for the coaching staff that allows that to happen. Even Tufts calls off the dogs in the final minutes in their blowouts. Yes - Trinity pulled the starters in the fourth quarter, and this will be one of the last opportunities for those kids to play. But coaches should have run out the clock. I'm not sure how that will prepare them at 3-0 Middlebury on Saturday. But Midd is coming off two - one goal wins so this will be a chance for Trinity to show if they are ready for primetime.

Stay classy Trinity.
As mentioned, Trinity beating up on WIT is pointless outside of getting some kids who do not see the field some much needed game time experience. Unfortunately for them, I see them on the other side of lopsided scores in the future. I did not see the game but as smoov pointed out, scoring 3 times in the last minute when you are up 18 is a total bush league move and if I were the AD I would have an issue with my coach.

Great win for Hamilton yesterday. RPI is tough and going on the road (not that far of a trip) and beating them is a big boost for the Conts. Will be interesting game this weekend against Conn to see which of these two programs is ready to make the move up to the upper middle of the pack.

Looking forward to the Mustang this weekend!
SunocoCharlie

Post by SunocoCharlie »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:16 am
UpperCorner22 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:36 am

Stay classy Trinity.
As mentioned, Trinity beating up on WIT is pointless outside of getting some kids who do not see the field some much needed game time experience. Unfortunately for them, I see them on the other side of lopsided scores in the future. I did not see the game but as smoov pointed out, scoring 3 times in the last minute when you are up 18 is a total bush league move and if I were the AD I would have an issue with my coach.

Great win for Hamilton yesterday. RPI is tough and going on the road (not that far of a trip) and beating them is a big boost for the Conts. Will be interesting game this weekend against Conn to see which of these two programs is ready to make the move up to the upper middle of the pack.

Looking forward to the Mustang this weekend!

Trinity will beat Emerson next Wednesday and that may be their last win of the season unless they can sneak past Colby at home later in April. The shot they took at the buzzer was right in front of the Trinity bench. No reason the coaches were not telling them to pull it out. I suspect the AD has no idea how they ran up the last few goals and they are sharing coffee and discussing the "big win" this morning.

I wouldn't turn my back on Hamilton. Even with two league losses they hung in both games. Wins against Conn and MIT could give them confidence for the second half of the season and league play.
RamsFan

Post by RamsFan »

SunocoCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:18 pm Trinity tops Wentworth 25-4 in Boston. They scored in the first five seconds and pumped in three goals in the final 1:15 of the game (with a 18 goal lead) and took another shot at the buzzer the sailed wide. Not a great look for the coaching staff that allows that to happen. Even Tufts calls off the dogs in the final minutes in their blowouts. Yes - Trinity pulled the starters in the fourth quarter, and this will be one of the last opportunities for those kids to play. But coaches should have run out the clock.
100% agree if they still had the starters in call off the dogs (and no way should they still even be on field at that point). But to tell a kid who busts his ass every day at practice, supports his teammates who do get playing time, but is 2nd or 3rd line and therefore will go weeks or more at a time without setting foot on a field on game day (and not to mention whose family pays $80k/yr to that school, in part because he wants to be part of the lax program) .........that just because they are up big and they dont want to hurt the other teams feelings, in your few minutes of playing time this month, dont actual play and compete like a real game, just toss the ball around...................well thats a frikking joke. Go the goal johnny, and play until the last whistle, if the other guys can't stop you, then maybe they should have spent less time drinking beer at the frat house instead of in the gym during the fall.

We aren't in youth league any more. This is college sports, and everyone is there to win. F-their feelings. If you dont want to lose by 15, get better. Hell, when i was coaching youth, there were a few situations over the years we were losing by enough that (by CONNY rules) we could elect to take the ball rather than face off. But unless we were losing every draw where my kids weren't even getting to touch the ball on O, I would reject the "charity" and keep on facing off. And the kids were glad....they felt like taking the free possession was conceding and giving up.

AN JUST TO BE CLEAR, if it was the starters still pumping in goals (even early) in the 4th quarter up by 15, then I agree 100% that is complete BS. Both uncool to the opponent as well as to the kids further down the bench.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”