CAA 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Shadow

Re: CAA 2024

Post by The Shadow »

Was it "lame brained" to change various disrespectful nicknames of colleges and professional teams? I do not believe so. This is very hurtful to a large population of American Citizens. Certain names cause pain with the associations that are attached to them. I do not understand any opposition to these corrections. You are dealing with educational institutions that should have the best interests for all their students, parents, alumni, faculty, staff, surrounding community, and states they may represent.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I don’t know 10stones reasoning but a bunch of colleges and all they could come up with, after all of this time they could’ve done something, is “hey guys let’s just change the C and call it a day” is pretty dumb for a host of institutions of higher education. The redskins didn’t change to the “Randy boys” and the Indians didn’t change to the “indigenous baseball players”. So in that regard it’s pretty lame and lazy. And it’s only been around since the mid 80s. Not like they made the prior name up in the 50s or 60s.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
westlax

Re: Colonial Athletic Association 2024

Post by westlax »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:00 pm Does anyone see Monmouth being improved in 2024?
Monmouth has hit the portal in a big way and not just "one and done" grad transfers. One of the transfers in was a top 100 recruit. They just picked up a pole from Denver who started for Culver in high school and was key in Culver's win against the USA U19 team in 2019. I would expect they will improve in 2024.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mark Bieda goes back to Delaware, assistant coach,

https://bluehens.com/news/2023/8/3/mens ... m=iframely

Looking like Drew Lenkaitis back for Grad year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Austin Ducommun and Max Semple reach the Minto Cup,

they close out the BC Jr A side of things, 4 to 1.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:49 pm

because the 13 Colonies contained slave states
Lame-Brained x 1,000
Lame Brained x another 1,000 the coast contained slaves too
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Neither makes sense.

Colonial is relating to being under other (British typically) rule or the nature of being rebellious against colonist rule. Coastal is simply geography-George page is don't have slaves, people do. Couple strikeouts here so far.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:45 am Neither makes sense.

Colonial is relating to being under other (British typically) rule or the nature of being rebellious against colonist rule. Coastal is simply geography-George page is don't have slaves, people do. Couple strikeouts here so far.
So anything that mentions Colonies or Colonial needs to be canceled? I respectfully disagree. Your second point is confusing I don't understand geography-George page? I even googled it to make sure I wasn't missing something, so I'm not sure about that. If we are talking about people who owned slaves, Colonial, Coastal, Patriot, Atlantic, Metro, Old Dominion, Commonwealth, and Southern are all names of College Conferences that could describe people who owned slaves. Where does it end? Base hit here.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

let's just say that "colonial" is by far not the most egregious name or mascot, etc, to ever come under question.

On the other hand, all sorts of names are flat out offensive to numerous fellow Americans and needn't be maintained just because they've been around awhile.

Vermont was the first of the American colonies to actually abolish slavery, but not until 1777. So...yeah, if you're tuned into colonial history from that perspective, certainly not a plus..."coastal" doesn't have that association. Maybe it's milk toast or "lame" but ok.

Interesting bit of history:

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/stories/v ... an%20males.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hens with a solid solid late 2023 addition, a decommit from Navy,

JOHN MCCURRY #2
Wall Boys Lacrosse
POS: A
Career Stats
Season G A P GB
2020-2021 62 18 80 23
2021-2022 59 51 110 42
2022-2023 76 64 140 37
Career Totals: 197 133 330
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment

_________
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:42 pm

So anything that mentions Colonies or Colonial needs to be canceled? I respectfully disagree. Your second point is confusing I don't understand geography-George page? I even googled it to make sure I wasn't missing something, so I'm not sure about that. If we are talking about people who owned slaves, Colonial, Coastal, Patriot, Atlantic, Metro, Old Dominion, Commonwealth, and Southern are all names of College Conferences that could describe people who owned slaves. Where does it end? Base hit here.
Yep you’re right to be expressing so much anger over it. Should set up a substack to express all your thoughts on this topic.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:08 pm

Yep you’re right to be expressing so much anger over it. Should set up a substack to express all your thoughts on this topic.
I know you are never wrong but I am not angry at all just frustrated with the insanity that is now the norm in society and how all the sheep just go along. Colony/Colonial is somehow linked to slavery? Really?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:44 pm

I know you are never wrong but I am not angry at all just frustrated with the insanity that is now the norm in society and how all the sheep just go along. Colony/Colonial is somehow linked to slavery? Really?
Projection can be a nasty thing. It takes effort to complain on this platform about that and you seem frustrated a lot. It doesn’t even have to be slavery though that would fit but it’s entire definition is about the lack of self sovereignty and being rules by others. It’s anachronistic any way you slice it. But because you played the 8 mile game so very well as to gaslight me I guess you’re right and I’m wrong.

“Frustrated and insanity” - your words.

Edumacation. The conference should be more concerned if you are an alumnus rep…

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colony

And the extra bonus Wiki:

Colony: A colony is a territory subject to a form of foreign rule.[1][2] Though dominated by the foreign colonizers, the rule remains separate to the original country of the colonizers, the metropolitan state (or "mother country"), within the shared imperialist administration. This colonial administrative separation, though often blurred,[2] makes colonies neither annexed or incorporated territories nor client states. Colonies contemporarily are identified and organized as not sufficiently self-governed dependent territories. Other past colonies have become either sufficiently incorporated and self-governed, or independent, with some to a varying degree dominated by remaining colonial settler societies or neocolonialism.

Chart of current non-self-governing territories (as of June 2012)
The term colony originates from the ancient Roman colonia, a type of Roman settlement. Derived from colon-us (farmer, cultivator, planter, or settler), it carries with it the sense of 'farm' and 'landed estate'.[3] Furthermore the term was used to refer to the older Greek apoikia (Ancient Greek: ἀποικία, lit. 'home away from home'), which were overseas settlements by ancient Greek city-states. The city that founded such a settlement became known as its metropolis ("mother-city"). Since early-modern times, historians, administrators, and political scientists have generally used the term "colony" to refer mainly to the many different overseas territories of particularly European states between the 15th and 20th centuries CE, with colonialism and decolonization as corresponding phenomena.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:44 pm

I am sure there is a certain segment of the population that would consider "Minuteman" offensive.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Don’t give them any ideas.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It just doesn't matter. Doesn't change recruiting or the effort/quality of play by the kids on the field. Whether it's too much or not enough can be debated but it's hardly worth worrying about. Worry more about the mascots. If you saw the ridiculous one Hobart created around 20yrs ago you'd understand. Looks like someone you don't want coaching your son in little league if you catch my drift.

https://www.wishmascot.com/Hobart-State ... mascots405

Theres russian and chinese ships near alaska, a lithium crunch, record weather and we're going to start to see the results of +500bps interest rate hike in a 12mo period along with the end of rental eviction moratoriums and student loan payment resumption and this is what folks are gnashing their teeth about?
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:14 am It just doesn't matter. Doesn't change recruiting or the effort/quality of play by the kids on the field. Whether it's too much or not enough can be debated but it's hardly worth worrying about. Worry more about the mascots. If you saw the ridiculous one Hobart created around 20yrs ago you'd understand. Looks like someone you don't want coaching your son in little league if you catch my drift.

Theres russian and chinese ships near alaska, a lithium crunch, record weather and we're going to start to see the results of +500bps interest rate hike in a 12mo period along with the end of rental eviction moratoriums and student loan payment resumption and this is what folks are gnashing their teeth about?
Because this is a lacrosse forum and a sub forum covering the CAA. It is not the cesspool that is the politics forum or some other site you know-it-all.

Not sure how true it is as I haven't done the research, but at least one native american group appears to be petitioning to wft to bring back "redskins."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Unknown Participant wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:29 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:14 am It just doesn't matter. Doesn't change recruiting or the effort/quality of play by the kids on the field. Whether it's too much or not enough can be debated but it's hardly worth worrying about. Worry more about the mascots. If you saw the ridiculous one Hobart created around 20yrs ago you'd understand. Looks like someone you don't want coaching your son in little league if you catch my drift.

Because this is a lacrosse forum and a sub forum covering the CAA. It is not the cesspool that is the politics forum or some other site you know-it-all.

Not sure how true it is as I haven't done the research, but at least one native american group appears to be petitioning to wft to bring back "redskins."
The griping comes from a cultural/political perspective it was quite clear. Broader complaint that specific to this change. Otherwise “know it all” is actually just following a string of messages back to its origin you know nothing.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:23 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:29 pm

The griping comes from a cultural/political perspective it was quite clear. Broader complaint that specific to this change. Otherwise “know it all” is actually just following a string of messages back to its origin you know nothing.
I didn't write this fwad:

Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

The Shadow wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:46 pm Was it "lame brained" to change various disrespectful nicknames of colleges and professional teams? I do not believe so. This is very hurtful to a large population of American Citizens. Certain names cause pain with the associations that are attached to them. I do not understand any opposition to these corrections. You are dealing with educational institutions that should have the best interests for all their students, parents, alumni, faculty, staff, surrounding community, and states they may represent.
Yes, changing names, such as the “Colonials” is as “lame-brained” as it gets. The “colonials” who founded this country were actually fought AGAINST England’s continued efforts to exploit the natural resources and people from another land. As such, the Colonials stood up to what was then one of the most powerful monarchies in the world in order to safeguard and protect the inalienable, God-given right of individuals to be free from the tyranny of a king. Why any educated person or institution would think that naming a school’s mascot or a league after those brave men and women is hurtful is clearly “lame-brained”.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”