All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:52 pm Waiting for MD to reply; first that you are wrong, then might be consideration that you are on the right path, but in the end..... nope, he's right. :lol:

sorry to keep you waiting, youth.
I was getting some yard work done...nice day here in Maryland.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:34 pm
Andersen wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:08 pm "This is what happens when a political party spends two decades convincing a huge swath of its base that competent people of superior education, intellect & experience are the enemy and should be vilified as the "elite." We should all want people smarter than us to be in charge."
I've never understood this line of thinking, that one is 'expert' or not, and that we should only listen to 'experts'. Experts are often less expert than advertised.
:lol: Wonderful! So let's have "some guy" design the airplanes you use, and get rid of engineering programs and things like PE stamps. Those stupid "experts" who understand things like "lift". While we're at at it, let's get rid of pilot certification, and just let anyone fly. What could go wrong?

Stupid "experts" ruin everything.

LOVE this idea of yours. When can we start?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:11 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:03 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:54 am
jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:51 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:17 am
jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:07 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:02 am
jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:36 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:24 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:38 pm
Trinity wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:17 pm Moron Trump lover Ron DeSantis has finally closed Florida but Republicans should know he’s sending those hungover Spring Break kids back to every state in the US. My country is so broken.
Don't worry, those spring breakers have left lots of "presents" to be opened later, in Florida.
My mom and son are in Florida.
Sorry to hear it. East coast or west coast?

For the Left or Left-sympathizers on this board, does it ever strike you how expressly intolerant many on the Left are to those whom they do not agree with politically?

Here above, you have Trinity calling a Republican governor a "moron" (a governor supported by a significant % of the Democrats he governs), then JHU72 saying how 'sorry' he is that someone is in Florida (even though Florida has one of the best state economies in the United States and consistently ranks high on 'places to live' lists - out of curiosity, where is Maryland on that list?).

Were Florida to be governed today by Andrew Gillum (D), neither Trinity nor JHU72 would be expressing these sentiments, naturally; this example above merely points out hypocrisy and frankly, intellect (lack thereof). The Left sees most issues no matter how trivial through the prism of politics, which is highly regrettable. This is perhaps the most disturbing large trend in America today, the Left's intolerance of thought and speech, as intolerance historically has led to further intolerance. You wonder why gun rights are such a core right to some?

I've been rightly suspicious of the far Left in America and its embrace of totalitarianism, authoritarianism, and repression; no more so than now. I'd be curious to know how these people interact with average Americans in real life and not behind the safety of a keyboard. I know Ron DeSantis...he's not a weak physical guy. Would Trinity care to call Ron a moron to his face? (I must admit, FDLE would likely restrain if not arrest you as you said it, so Ron might not be free to reply as an average person on the street would should you simply call him a moron)
I thought you were a data driven guy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can dispute the data all day long for all I care. What I heard from your fellow Left travelers here yesterday was this guy was a 'Lincoln Project' founder hence 'I won't read him'. (even though the Lincoln Project is an anti-Trump group...)

I read it; he makes perfectly good sense to me. I am sure, given how much he wrote, some of his data might be incorrect or even interpreted incorrectly. Honestly, that does little to move the needle to me. I am way more focused on intolerance of opinion, such as you constantly evidence here on these boards. I would be curious how you interact with people whose politics you are unaware of. Are you judgmental? Intolerant? Do you demand to know their views before having a discussion?
I said it was an interesting idea and then analyzed it further. It doesn't hold up on further analysis, sorry if that hurts your feelings.

It doesn't hurt my feelings in the least if you disagree with another person's findings. I am more concerned when the Left organizes a targeted (in essence) DNS attack on a post with which it disagrees. Red is cool with that.

Are you sympathetic to that action, btw? Do you support targeted removals of papers, research, clinical studies if they run into your political beliefs? Absolutely not? Not sure why it matters in this discussion.
Man I wish we still had lacrosse games.
+1
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:08 pm
Andersen wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:08 pm "This is what happens when a political party spends two decades convincing a huge swath of its base that competent people of superior education, intellect & experience are the enemy and should be vilified as the "elite." We should all want people smarter than us to be in charge."
I've never understood this line of thinking, that one is 'expert' or not, and that we should only listen to 'experts'. Experts are often less expert than advertised.
:lol: Wonderful! So let's have "some guy" design the airplanes you use, and get rid of engineering programs and things like PE stamps. Those stupid "experts" who understand things like "lift". While we're at at it, let's get rid of pilot certification, and just let anyone fly. What could go wrong?

Everyone's opinion is equal and hunches are as good as knowledge.
Up is down and down is up.
1984 anyone?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Anyone can be a surgeon. I wonder if PB went down to Home Depot and picked up day labor to build his home?
“I wish you would!”
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Not yet.Only week two. Check back in awhile if Cuomos right.

naturally antibacterial and nonporous

https://nypost.com/2020/03/21/naturally ... ronavirus/
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Anyone can be a surgeon. I wonder if PB went down to Home Depot and picked up day labor to build his home?
Knock it off will ya. In context he was referring to POLITICAL "Experts."

You know——the bureaucrats that put us 20 Trillion in debt and stole the social security Trust fund.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Rand Paul tested positive.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:21 pm Rand Paul tested positive.
Wonder if he got it from his neighbor.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:21 pm

You know——the bureaucrats that put us 20 Trillion in debt and stole the social security Trust fund.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Yeah, that's what he meant...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Naturally the resident experts can’t understand a simple message. Sure, aviation engineers are expert at engineering. But they aren’t infallible; learning is forever.

They also often fail to grasp some sensible observations which perhaps a non-expert might. Women’s sports bras, now a huge business, was created by a non sports expert theater costume designer.

But go on feeling smarter than others! I’ll keep asking questions.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:18 pm Not yet.Only week two. Check back in awhile if Cuomos right.

naturally antibacterial and nonporous

https://nypost.com/2020/03/21/naturally ... ronavirus/

This product would do well.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

That’s actually not what I meant because politicians aren’t expert at anything. My message is 1) learning is forever, and 2) you should have the humility to always be curious.

Some here (guess their political leaning :lol:) have neither the humility nor the curiosity to understand that.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:23 pmNaturally the resident experts can’t understand a simple message. Sure, aviation engineers are expert at engineering. But they aren’t infallible; learning is forever.
And naturally you can't get the message that was sent to you.

You're like every other partisan. Anytime you complain about people's flaws? You can bet you'll do the exact thing you just complained about in the very next sentence. With zero sense of irony.

To the point: who here said experts are infallible? Go ahead. Show us. But yep, I trust a general practitioner with a PhD from Hopkins over "some guy on the internet". How about you?

You're just twisting everything to fit into your ridiculous "theory" as to how lefties are intolerant, but righties are brilliant, free thinking philosopher kings. :roll:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:48 pm All our comments carry hyperbole such as we’ve seen but I’d hope that people who care about knowledge, I do, also recognize that domain knowledge can and often does lead to blind spots. The challenge is accepting how much is unknown when one has a good grasp of knowledge on a subject and avoiding any hubris or sense of superiority. Unless knowing and internal pride are more important than using or sharing said knowledge with the world. That’s just selfish and useless in a society.

Very good post.
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

No, in the context he was referring to guys like Ginn who claimed his expertise in a disconnected field because it used terms stolen from a medical context could be just as expert as someone who actually studies disease progression and outbreaks. This is what happens when you claim real experts in fields that most everyone out of their fields can never have a complete understanding are downgraded because "they don't understand the real world" or "they never get out of their ivory towers" or some other BS excuse to make "alternate facts" plausible because they are politically expedient.

Trump is a master at telling the lie (and there have been tens of thousands of them documented during his presidency) over and over again and getting a very gullible portion of the population to blindly believe him.

Oh, and by the way, there has never really been any true "trust fund" for Social Security. Just an accounting mechanism for the IOU the government and the taxpayers owe retiring seniors because they used the incoming SS revenue to keep taxes down.
Last edited by RedFromMI on Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“Republicans walked away from negotiations last night, and this morning showed up with:

- no real funding to save hospitals
- no real funding to save states
- slush fund for corporations
- no-strings bailouts for corporations

This is $1.5T. Do it right.”

Sen Chris Murphy
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:22 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:21 pm Rand Paul tested positive.
Wonder if he got it from his neighbor.
:lol: :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

If you want to see what real leadership looks like - watch this video of Angela Merkel (subtitled in English) speaking to the German people about the coronovirus pandemic.

Calm, firm, and hopeful... Also explaining why the decisions that have been made were made.

Amazing contrast to Trump...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLxrxyk_wYo
old salt

Post by old salt »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:46 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:21 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:50 am
Trinity wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:30 am “Russian doctors say Putin's regime is covering up cases.

https://t.co/nZiVYdhXts?amp=1
If Trump pens a letter to Putin asking about this, will he be impeached again? :lol:
Another impeachment would be great. It's proven to be a great distraction from a rapidly spreading pandemic.

If you missed Larry Hogan and Bill de Blasio on MTP today, please watch.

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/ ... _nn_tw_mtp

Larry Hogan seems to be about the most pleasant human being you can find in politics; he spends his time here on MTP seeking answers and productively bringing people together. De Blasio spends the entire time accusing everyone else of failure.

Go to the end of the clip where Chuck Todd (a former Democrat congressman's aide) has to step in and stop De Blasio from embarrassing himself and his party more. This exchange is so illustrative of the differences imo between the two parties.

De Blasio: nothing but blame and partisanship. Hogan: find answers, bring people together.

Do we need to explain the divide in America any further?
DeBlasio continues to engage in preemptive blame shifting.
He knows what's coming & has started a narrative placing blame elsewhere.
He grossly misrepresents the capabilities of the US military, especially military medicine's capacity.

Return to “POLITICS”