Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Drcthru

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Drcthru »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:33 pm looks like 69 was retired for WOMBAT. Nice gesture. Pure class there.

am I wrong or was 43 a number for defensemen.
I don't think jersey numbers are relevant to position. It's like baseball, not like football.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I think - especially as long as JGJR is around - Hopkins will have some attraction for Canadian attackmen. It would be nice, however, if the program also had some attraction for at least one of the 3 or 4 ((at least) extremely talented American attackmen everyone is talking about - recognizing that Dom Petro will almost assuredly not be "matriculating down the field" at Homewood.

Hopkins appeared to almost be trying to start a #43 thing with defensemen as an homage to their head coach at the time but I am fairly happy it fizzled out. If #22 is Syracuse's thing and #1 is Maryland's thing (though #21 should be Maryland's thing) I think it's also fine that no number is really sacred for player performance at Hopkins.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:19 pm I think - especially as long as JGJR is around - Hopkins will have some attraction for Canadian attackmen. It would be nice, however, if the program also had some attraction for at least one of the 3 or 4 ((at least) extremely talented American attackmen everyone is talking about - recognizing that Dom Petro will almost assuredly not be "matriculating down the field" at Homewood.

Hopkins appeared to almost be trying to start a #43 thing with defensemen as an homage to their head coach at the time but I am fairly happy it fizzled out. If #22 is Syracuse's thing and #1 is Maryland's thing (though #21 should be Maryland's thing) I think it's also fine that no number is really sacred for player performance at Hopkins.
No reason for Dom Petro not to consider Hopkins, and no reason for Hopkins not to consider Dom.

His dad had a great quarter century at Johns Hopkins, and Coach Pietramala is one of the greatest figures in the history of Johns Hopkins lacrosse.

Dom will have his choice of schools. Best wishes to the kid.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:13 pm No reason for Dom Petro not to consider Hopkins
Yeah - no reason except for the part where they fired his dad - one competitive and proud SOB- might put a little asterisk next to Hopkins on the list of Dom's schools as he looks them up and down
While both sides have stayed beyond classy in the divorce - if you think this was all sunshine and roses you are sorely mistaken
And I still say the word on the street was he wasn't really considering Hopkins even if Pops had held on

Hopkins only hope would appear to be that Dom is somehow a JGJR fanatic and would love to play for him beyond all others and I believe that is wishful thinking
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

By now the word is out that Dom is not going to Hopkins. Don't blame him at all. Let the kid go his own path. From what I've heard he's not really looking at any of the elite academic institutions. I would not be surprised to see him go play for Uncle Tierney at Denver. Maybe a Penn State—Tambroni and Petro are very close friends.

Sunderland, however, is very much still a realistic target though like Dom he's going to have his share of suitors on Sept. 1.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Sunderland I like.

Some Edge Club Canada players, if the thinking is
Grant Jr. can draw these players, Matthew Collison a 2022, Finlay Thomson a 2021 who may be reclassifying to 2022 as he hasn’t committed yet.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:00 pm By now the word is out that Dom is not going to Hopkins. Don't blame him at all. Let the kid go his own path. From what I've heard he's not really looking at any of the elite academic institutions. I would not be surprised to see him go play for Uncle Tierney at Denver. Maybe a Penn State—Tambroni and Petro are very close friends.

Sunderland, however, is very much still a realistic target though like Dom he's going to have his share of suitors on Sept. 1.
I’ve heard that PSU is the front runner which was it surprising at all
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

We added a 2021 goalie: Jack Webb from Loyola Blakefield. Made the Baltimore Under Armour AA underclass team this summer. (Meanwhile, Chris Wong made the Philly team and Nick Kaufman made DC.)

Recruiting starting to pick back up a bit. Looks like Milliman wants to get the '21 class sorted before he's allowed to start talking to '22s in September
Last edited by HopFan16 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:24 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:00 pm By now the word is out that Dom is not going to Hopkins. Don't blame him at all. Let the kid go his own path. From what I've heard he's not really looking at any of the elite academic institutions. I would not be surprised to see him go play for Uncle Tierney at Denver. Maybe a Penn State—Tambroni and Petro are very close friends.

I’ve heard that PSU is the front runner which was it surprising at all
Maybe Army?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:36 amJack Webb
Wonder how many times the poor kid has heard "Just the facts m'am" which apparently the Jack Webb version of Joe Friday never actually said on Dragnet
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Probably not too many times these days. Not a reference anyone under a certain advanced age would get I don't think.

His highlight tape is up on youtube. Looks like he has potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcysZg_ywXM
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Catbird wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:43 pm Probably not too many times these days. Not a reference anyone under a certain advanced age would get I don't think.

He and LB were on ESPNU earlier today playing McDonogh in the national high school lax showcase. LB lost but I thought Webb looked pretty good. I haven't seen him play before this but I'm mildly surprised the starting goalie for LB hadn't already committed somewhere.

Cody Ince played for McDonogh—they're letting a few rising college freshmen play in this event because their senior high school seasons were cut short. He took virtually every shift at SSDM and was tough for dodgers to run by separate from. Quick, solid feet and plays stronger than his size. McDonogh plays again vs. Taft at 4pm today if you want a look at a potential shortie for us.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Catbird wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:43 pm Probably not too many times these days. Not a reference anyone under a certain advanced age would get I don't think.

I've known Jack since he was 9. Super quick hands from very early and very, very intense. Highly competitive.

The only rap when he was younger was that the intensity got in the way of being calm. I understand that he's been working hard with the Gvozdens at Goaliesmith and they've got him staying quieter with his feet and hands, to very good effect. Been playing very well this summer.

Hoping there's a high school season this coming year as it would be very good for him to get a starting season in the MIAA under his belt.

To the head scratcher, let's just say that he likely would have been the starter under the former head coach. Of course, having two good goalies in the same class is always a challenge.

My understanding was that he was very close at Brown, but when the Hopkins commit jumped, the shuffle occurred.

It's a huge plus for his family, single mom and triplet younger siblings, who live in Charles Village a stone's throw away. Bloomberg $ make Hopkins' aid competitive with Ivy. Brown would have been wonderful, but logistics for the family will be very helpful at Hopkins.

Lucky kid!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:55 pm
I've known Jack since he was 9. Super quick hands from very early and very, very intense. Highly competitive.

The only rap when he was younger was that the intensity got in the way of being calm. I understand that he's been working hard with the Gvozdens at Goaliesmith and they've got him staying quieter with his feet and hands, to very good effect. Been playing very well this summer.

Hoping there's a high school season this coming year as it would be very good for him to get a starting season in the MIAA under his belt.

To the head scratcher, let's just say that he likely would have been the starter under the former head coach. Of course, having two good goalies in the same class is always a challenge.

My understanding was that he was very close at Brown, but when the Hopkins commit jumped, the shuffle occurred.

It's a huge plus for his family, single mom and triplet younger siblings, who live in Charles Village a stone's throw away. Bloomberg $ make Hopkins' aid competitive with Ivy. Brown would have been wonderful, but logistics for the family will be very helpful at Hopkins.

Lucky kid!
Based on what you know about Hop's current goalies on the roster and those in the pipeline, who would you project as our most likely starters over the next five years?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Great to hear that Webb's a good kid and really happy for the family. It's a great story. That said, I watched the McD/Loyola game on ESPN and was pretty underwhelmed. He made a couple of nice saves, but seemed just OK to me. Obviously, it's just one fairly sloppy summer game but it seems to me like Brown won that trade (Demopolous vs. St. Anthony's made quite an impression on me, convinced he's going to be a star). Maybe it's been the last two years, but I'm also kinda down on undersized goalies. Hope I'm wrong and will definitely be rooting for the kid.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:44 am Great to hear that Webb's a good kid and really happy for the family. It's a great story. That said, I watched the McD/Loyola game on ESPN and was pretty underwhelmed. He made a couple of nice saves, but seemed just OK to me. Obviously, it's just one fairly sloppy summer game but it seems to me like Brown won that trade (Demopolous vs. St. Anthony's made quite an impression on me, convinced he's going to be a star). Maybe it's been the last two years, but I'm also kinda down on undersized goalies. Hope I'm wrong and will definitely be rooting for the kid.
If I was to put a couple bucks on it I would say Kirson starts and is pushed by Giacalone. With the coaching change I think we will see a different Giacalone.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I don't think there's any question it's Kirson to start the season. If he's terrible (which I think is unlikely), I have no idea who'd be next up, but I wouldn't think it would be Giacolone with his one year of eligibility. Would expect it to be one of the younger guys. All speculation though.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

nyjay wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm I don't think there's any question it's Kirson to start the season. If he's terrible (which I think is unlikely), I have no idea who'd be next up, but I wouldn't think it would be Giacolone with his one year of eligibility. Would expect it to be one of the younger guys. All speculation though.
i understand your thinking about developing younger goalies but, if Giacolone is clearly the best why would one year of eligibility preclude using him?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Actually think Giacalone has 2 years of eligibility. He was not on the team in 2018 and he gets 2020 back. So he used '17 amd '19 as eligible years
That's how i interpret his bio.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:44 am Great to hear that Webb's a good kid and really happy for the family. It's a great story. That said, I watched the McD/Loyola game on ESPN and was pretty underwhelmed. He made a couple of nice saves, but seemed just OK to me. Obviously, it's just one fairly sloppy summer game but it seems to me like Brown won that trade (Demopolous vs. St. Anthony's made quite an impression on me, convinced he's going to be a star). Maybe it's been the last two years, but I'm also kinda down on undersized goalies. Hope I'm wrong and will definitely be rooting for the kid.
Kinda tough to evaluate a kid based on a single game, especially under these circumstances. Main thing for me is that he was tracking shots well, even the ones he didn't save. He was "on" basically everything. His defense didn't do him too many favors. Appears to have the requisite hand speed and footwork to be a successful college goalie—that's what I'm interested in seeing at this point in his development.

The Gvozdens had some pretty high praise for the kid: https://twitter.com/GoaliesmithLax/stat ... 0278517761

At the end of the day this is exactly what people were asking for. Goalies who committed super early have not panned out for us as we've talked about here ad nauseam—but Webb on the other hand is pretty much the definition of a late bloomer.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”