2019 Bracketology Thread

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dunker

Re: 2019 Bracketology Thread

Post by Dunker »

Yale may be a #5 seed, but every team would prefer to be on the other side of Yale's bracket.. Ierlan is the pre-tournament choice for the most impactful player award.
Last season's Ierlan-Baptiste battle was like Ali-Frazier, The Thrilla in Manila
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Dunker wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:32 pm Yale may be a #5 seed, but every team would prefer to be on the other side of Yale's bracket.. Ierlan is the pre-tournament choice for the most impactful player award.
Last season's Ierlan-Baptiste battle was like Ali-Frazier, The Thrilla in Manila
Agreed. Yale is my championship pick.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
DocBarrister

Urgent Question

Post by DocBarrister »

So ...

... I happen to be working from home this afternoon and decided to tune in to the Patriot League semifinals between Army and Loyola, a game that can directly impact the NCAA tournament hopes of many teams, including Hopkins.

But while surfing the channels for the game, I stumbled onto the Women’s College Beach Volleyball Championships, a sport that I didn’t even realize existed at the college level. :shock: :o

I decided to watch the women’s college beach volleyball game.

Question: Does that make me a bad person? :ugeek:

DocBarrister :oops:
@DocBarrister
Hawkeye

Re: Urgent Question

Post by Hawkeye »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:39 pm decided to tune in to the Patriot League semifinals between Army and Loyola, a game that can directly impact the NCAA tournament hopes of many teams, including Hopkins.
I hope everything breaks wrong for Hopkins the rest of this weekend, so they still get in.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Depends who you ask. Doc, we want to encourage you to be you. Even if your you is awful.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:39 pm So ...

... I happen to be working from home this afternoon and decided to tune in to the Patriot League semifinals between Army and Loyola, a game that can directly impact the NCAA tournament hopes of many teams, including Hopkins.

But while surfing the channels for the game, I stumbled onto the Women’s College Beach Volleyball Championships, a sport that I didn’t even realize existed at the college level. :shock: :o

Umm, depends on what your wifey thinks..... :twisted:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

admin wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:45 pm Depends who you ask. Doc, we want to encourage you to be you. Even if your you is awful.

This comment is oddly reassuring.

LSU vs. Stetson.

Women’s College Beach Volleyball.

Who knew?

Let me know how Army vs. Loyola turns out.

DocBarrister ;)

P.S. Update ... now the McNamara twins, blond UCLA women’s college beach volleyball players, taking on FSU. Sport gets better by the minute. :shock: :o :shock:
@DocBarrister
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:58 pm P.S. Update ... now the McNamara twins, blond UCLA women’s college beach volleyball players, taking on FSU. Sport gets better by the minute. :shock: :o :shock:
Yeah, it's freaking great. ESPNU is not showing the lacrosse game that their scheduled to be showing because of this. TV windows don't matter.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:39 pm So ...

DocBarrister :oops:
Not at all.Army up 4-2 with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd Q.The "uniforms" worn be the beach volleyball players ;) are a bit different and arguably more attractive than Army's or Loyola's. :roll:

Vive la différence!
old salt

Post by old salt »

Check out the At Large Prob column. Highly predictive, based on past years performance.

http://www.laxbytes.com/2019/binmenstats/ncaapb01.php
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Loyola doing their best to cause chaos.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:52 pm Loyola doing their best to cause chaos.
If Loyola loses this game, the presumptive at-larges become:
4 ACC
PSU/JHU loser
Yale/Penn loser
Loyola
Maryland (probably)

Towson 100% becomes AQ or bust, and Cornell has to beat Yale tonight to stay in the conversation.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

What a foul odor on Cold Spring Lane! Congrats to Army. Validates the Naval Academy? Yes? The National Club scene is large .
Nyhoo

Post by Nyhoo »

Loyola is not a good lacrosse team right now....
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

admin wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:09 pm
laxreference wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:34 pmI think SOR is a better way to look at a team's holistic season than RPI).
Is SOR broken-down, game by game or is it calculated cumulatively. e.g. RPI is cumulative. Obviously each game counts but is SOR able to say, Duke received X Points against Syracuse.
You could definitely do that. SOR is basically a measure of how many wins a team has vs how many wins a generic #10 team would be expected to have against the same schedule. So each game either adds or subtracts "excess wins" from the team's total. As a result, you could show what each game contributed.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Cornell vs Maryland seems to be the key question going forward. In simulations where Cornell is not in the field, Maryland gets in 78.9% of the time. When Cornell gets in, the Terps are also in a whopping zero percent of the time.

There are a lot of Bulldog fans in College Park right about now.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

TheBigIguana wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:11 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:19 pm The AQ makes sense but IMO when leagues are not balanced in qty, the measurement in stats can not be balanced.

The PL teams are are at a minimum 1-2 games out of contentions for QW's/QL's due in part to their 9 team league (the largest), which handcuffs them for OOC scheduling, especially when their bye weeks are locked down for 2-3 years straight.

One could argue, if they had more flexibility in scheduling, maybe break the PL into two divisions on a rotational basis, it would allow them all to gather more challenging and different opponents yearly, which in the end builds each teams resume and ability to face opponents that will punch them in mouth.

They could still have the PL tournament in its current structure, top seed teams on each side earns a bye and team 2-3 play in on each side the Tuesday before PL Tourney Friday and Sunday.
The best thing that could happen for the Patriot is American adding men's lax so that the two division league can happen.
A, i have some knowledge of the school having gone to grad school there and I don’t think they’d ever add lacrosse.
B. if they did, watch out Loyola. People forget this is a lacrosse focused site but Loyola’s lacrosse “dominance” of league as an affiliate member who doesn’t add to academics or navy did for Army is more of a problem for them. Conferences don’t like interlopers taking their spots. As a Hobart alum I can speak to this as well.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

TheBigIguana wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:11 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:19 pm The AQ makes sense but IMO when leagues are not balanced in qty, the measurement in stats can not be balanced.

The PL teams are are at a minimum 1-2 games out of contentions for QW's/QL's due in part to their 9 team league (the largest), which handcuffs them for OOC scheduling, especially when their bye weeks are locked down for 2-3 years straight.

One could argue, if they had more flexibility in scheduling, maybe break the PL into two divisions on a rotational basis, it would allow them all to gather more challenging and different opponents yearly, which in the end builds each teams resume and ability to face opponents that will punch them in mouth.

They could still have the PL tournament in its current structure, top seed teams on each side earns a bye and team 2-3 play in on each side the Tuesday before PL Tourney Friday and Sunday.
The best thing that could happen for the Patriot is American adding men's lax so that the two division league can happen.
A, i have some knowledge of the school having gone to grad school there and I don’t think they’d ever add lacrosse.
B. if they did, watch out Loyola. People forget this is a lacrosse focused site but Loyola’s lacrosse “dominance” of league as an affiliate member who doesn’t add to academics or navy did for Army is more of a problem for them. Conferences don’t like interlopers taking their spots. As a Hobart alum I can speak to this as well.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:10 pm B. if they did, watch out Loyola. People forget this is a lacrosse focused site but Loyola’s lacrosse “dominance” of league as an affiliate member who doesn’t add to academics or navy did for Army is more of a problem for them. Conferences don’t like interlopers taking their spots.
Loyola is a full member of the Patriot League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_L ... ll_members
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

laxreference wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:58 pm Cornell vs Maryland seems to be the key question going forward. In simulations where Cornell is not in the field, Maryland gets in 78.9% of the time. When Cornell gets in, the Terps are also in a whopping zero percent of the time.

There are a lot of Bulldog fans in College Park right about now.
Are your projections showing Towson still getting in with a loss to Drexel tomorrow?

Edit: Just checked it. It looks like we are in agreement that Towson is almost certainly AQ or bust.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”