Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BigTom5

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by BigTom5 »

keno in reno wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:38 pm Correct, neither you or I know the story. The difference is you are making one or more stories up.

Even if he didn't enjoy the past year, who cares? It's his career and family. Do you have a conspiracy theory for Cassese quitting a D1 job to be an assistant?
Conspiracy theory! Conspiracy theory! Love people quick to throw that out when presented with logical inferences that just so happen to go against what they want to believe. Good to see we as a country have an open mind for multiple viewpoints!

And yes, I have an idea for why Cassese took the UVA job, which is shared with many people I’ve spoken too. After plateauing at Lehigh and being passed over for open jobs he actively interviewed for (Harvard and Hopkins amongst others), he realized that if he wanted a top tier D1 job (maybe like the one that could open up at his alma mater in a couple years) he needed to try something different, and UVA gives him a chance to win a few NCs and build his name up to a higher stratosphere.

But that’s probably just a conspiracy theory, not just a logical observation.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

And maybe Jake liked his time in new England and this was a great opportunity to get back there and be a head coach. What a crazy inference!
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:39 am
Laxguy703 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:11 am
keno in reno wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:07 pm [quote=Wheels post_id=496826 time=1697335799 user_id=1339

Really hoping that Erksa doesnt have the usual Maryland lacrosse October quadruple knee injury; he's Shellenberger without the name and history.
That’s a very very very hot take.

Don’t get me wrong, Erksa’s great, but Shelly?
a little hyperbole by a Terp fan on a Terps forum, not a hot take or a big deal. Shellenberger is great.
Just a little conjecture from a lacrosse fan on a lacrosse forum, not a hot take or a big deal. No need to get all worked up big guy.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per the press release from Maryland

I am very excited for Jake and his family," head coach John Tillman said. "They are really looking forward to returning to the New England area and being closer to family.
To me it sounds like the wife is from NE and she would like to be closer to them. This happens all the time
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Does Jared succeed his brother or does Tils look for a coach with experience?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Seahawk wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:04 pm Does Jared succeed his brother or does Tils look for a coach with experience?
Would be surprised by that.
There is the volunteer coach O’Branski. He spent two years as offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator at Mercer University
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:15 pm Per the press release from Maryland

I am very excited for Jake and his family," head coach John Tillman said. "They are really looking forward to returning to the New England area and being closer to family.
To me it sounds like the wife is from NE and she would like to be closer to them. This happens all the time
It’s nice up there. May like the idea of coaching and mentoring at this level…

“I wish you would!”
jff97

Post by jff97 »

I was going to wait until the team posted the schedule to wonder what the first John Tillman conspiracy theory of the season would be, but looks we got there a few months early.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jff97 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:13 pm I was going to wait until the team posted the schedule to wonder what the first John Tillman conspiracy theory of the season would be, but looks we got there a few months early.
What's interesting about the early...let's be generous and call them "inferences" that some have drawn...is that their assumptions all flow from Tillman outward. It could be that this was only about Jake.

One of the things I wondered about when Jake replaced Bobby was if having too many Bernhardt on a staff would create too much intensity. All of the Bernhardts are intense, but they all don't express that intensity in the same way.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

I don’t see a conspiracy. Jake was looking for HC job and it sounds like his wife would like to be closer to Maine where I understand she is from. She been coaching in field hockey and who knows maybe there is an opportunity for her in the area.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Maybe you are right. Maybe his wife wanted to be closer to her family. Maybe he really really loves New England. But given:
1. The destination: again this isn’t a D1 or high level D3 opening. And let’s not pretend like Colby backed up the Brinks truck.
2. The brevity of his stay at UMD: it’s not like they won an NC last year and he had reach his peak as an assistant.

…maybe there is something more to it. Or maybe it’s a little bit of all these factors combined. You don’t know for sure. I don’t know for sure.

But to stick your head in the ground and refuse to consider anything besides your convenient narrative is naive.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

BigTom5 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:14 pm Maybe you are right. Maybe his wife wanted to be closer to her family. Maybe he really really loves New England. But given:
1. The destination: again this isn’t a D1 or high level D3 opening. And let’s not pretend like Colby backed up the Brinks truck.
2. The brevity of his stay at UMD: it’s not like they won an NC last year and he had reach his peak as an assistant.

…maybe there is something more to it. Or maybe it’s a little bit of all these factors combined. You don’t know for sure. I don’t know for sure.

But to stick your head in the ground and refuse to consider anything besides your convenient narrative is naive.
stop
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

More schedule info
Feb 3 rd @ Richmond
Feb 24, home vs Princeton
Mar 9th home vs Brown
Mar 16th home vs Virginia
Apr 20th @ Hopkins

Big Ten Championship
April 27 Saturday - Quarterfinals
May 2 - May 4 - Semifinals and Finals at OSU

Rumor but not confirmed
Feb 17 at Syracuse
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The offense wasn't good last year, that's not all or even really majority on Bernhardt - there was attrition and then injuries and some bad luck - but it wasn't, he's the OC, some folks had questions on lineup construction. On the other hand, this is Tillman's offense. Benson came in and added some of his tweaks and spins, whereas you didn't see as much of that last year. Point being, whoever the OC is, they're going to run largely what Maryland has run for 4 years now. That's the offense Tills wants them to run and he's an offensive guy. Maybe Jake wanted to do it a little differently or that didn't quite work out. EOD, it didn't come together last year. It's possible that caused some tension, as Wheels said, they're all competitive and they all want to win.

Also, him and his wife have family from New England, they had been at Vermont for a while as well, this is a decent opportunity to start as a HC and be closer to that family, which as we saw the inverse when Benson was at Maryland, can be very challenging for coaches. This alleviates that.

There can be multiple reasons, it doesn't have to be a conspiracy. Bernhardt gets a new opportunity, Maryland will go out and get an OC with a very, very good track record to work with a roster with a ton of talent and more experience from last year.

It'll be fine, we all move on.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:12 pm More schedule info
Feb 3 rd @ Richmond
Mar 9th home vs Brown
Apr 20th @ Hopkins

Big Ten Championship
May 2 - May 4 - Semifinals and Finals at OSU

Rumor but not confirmed
Feb 17 at Syracuse
Unless they decide to change it this year; the Big Ten schedule has been almost the same for the last 5 years; Penn State and Michigan to start, then some combo of Ohio State or Rutgers, and then Hopkins.

This year that would be

March 23-25th Penn State (away)
March 29th-March 31st Michigan (away)
April 5th-7th Ohio State/Rutgers (home)
April 12th-14th Ohio State/Rutgers (home)
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

BigTom5 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:14 pm Maybe you are right. Maybe his wife wanted to be closer to her family. Maybe he really really loves New England. But given:

So my naïveté would be based on believing that it's really hard to work for Tills, so he ran off Jake after a year but not Jesse and Jared?

Whose narrative is convenient here? Yours or mine?
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Wheels wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:13 pm

So my naïveté would be based on believing that it's really hard to work for Tills, so he ran off Jake after a year but not Jesse and Jared?

No no no, you have it all wrong. Jake was so unhappy at Maryland and with Tills, but his silly rogue little brother Jared joined the coaching staff 3 months ago.

I mean I know if my sibling was super unhappy at an employer, I'd happily join that employer, right? Not like the brothers would talk about what it's like to join that coaching staff before Jared did. Nope. Jake set his brother up to be miserable because that's just what brothers do, right?
terp talk

Post by terp talk »

Lets look at Tils Coaching tree.
Kevin Warne---Georgetown
Ryan Moran-----UMBC
JL Reppert--Holy Cross
Kevin Conry--Michigan
Bobby Benson--Providence
Jake Bernhardt--Colby

Think Jesse will be a head coach soon? No doubt.

Work for Tils--learn from an outright WINNER

Become a head Coach

Simple formula
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Wheels wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:13 pm

Let’s not be thick. Read carefully, I’ve laid out my point pretty clearly. There are a slew of reasons why he might have made the move:

1. Desperately wanted to be a HC
2. Wife wanted to be closer to his family
3. Wanting more control of the offense than what Tillman was allowing
4. Interpersonal dynamics of the staff (even you brought up previously wondering whether 3 Bernhardts would create too much intensity)

It’s probably a combo of all of these. My whole point from the beginning is that thinking it’s solely 1 and 2 and no other factors are possible is probably being naive. Not that controversial of a statement, but the majority of you terpys get all hot and bothered when there is any insinuation of trouble in paradise, no matter how slight. I agree with everything Jrn said above, particularly that the terps will be fine. No one has a better track record of replacing assistants than they do.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

More schedule info
January 27 | Georgetown (Scrimmage) | Cooper Field
Feb 3 rd @ Richmond
Mar 9th home vs Brown
Apr 20th @ Hopkins

Big Ten Championship