D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Recruiting, the exact science

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:33 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:23 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:57 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:33 pm I am not a fan of re-classifying hold back but every family has to make the decision that is best for their kid. As far as PG'ing after HS and after they commit can be done for a few reasons, scholastics, physical maturity or straight up just about lacrosse, I know a number of kids that were told that they would have to PG if they wanted to commit to XYZ college and that was coming directly form the coach.

The one point that I think has been overlooked in all this has been the covid year, virtually everyone was given a red shirt and now there is five years worth of players fitting into a four year college career. I think when this finally plays itself out you might see some less PG's although you will still have hold backs and re-classifies.
Covid pushed a lot of kids down. I personally know a 2022 that’s now a 2024 and no seat yet.
is that because the '23s pg'd?
Partly. Parents started scrambling with COVID-19. Some hoping to avoid the grad transfer bubble.
maybe instead that aspirations are too high. there are 3 strikes for a reason, can't have one batter up there all day like cricket.

you should tell them that all the freshman 2020 year guys come off the books in 2024. could be a sign.
I took your question to be generally. In this players case, you are probably right. Going to call his dad now.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
henryben

Post by henryben »

jersey shore lax wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:33 pm I am not a fan of re-classifying hold back but every family has to make the decision that is best for their kid. As far as PG'ing after HS and after they commit can be done for a few reasons, scholastics, physical maturity or straight up just about lacrosse, I know a number of kids that were told that they would have to PG if they wanted to commit to XYZ college and that was coming directly form the coach.

The one point that I think has been overlooked in all this has been the covid year, virtually everyone was given a red shirt and now there is five years worth of players fitting into a four year college career. I think when this finally plays itself out you might see some less PG's although you will still have hold backs and re-classifies.
Covid pushed a lot of kids down. I personally know a 2022 that’s now a 2024 and no seat yet.
That kid would probably be a good player at a D3 school?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:35 pm gaps are the new pg's:
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/15 ... sDncA&s=19
I actually think many kids could benefit from a gap year before college. I feel like at least that's better than playing a 5th year at a prep school which is ridiculous...at least he isn't costing his parents 70k in tuition or whatever!
Typical Lax Dad

henryben wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:12 pm

I was thinking the same thing.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:45 pm

He would be a good fit for D3. But most parents don't realize there are at least 30 D3 programs that are better coached, run, and supported by their school than many of the bottom 20 D1 schools. And that's not even considering academics.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

I know Inside Lacrosse gets a lot of flak on here, but this is the breakdown of their top 100 by schools. If they have 5 star recruits, it's listed in parentheses.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/60319
The breakdown:
10-Syracuse (5)
7-Duke (1)
6-Virginia (4), Harvard, Princeton
5-Notre Dame (1), Maryland (2), Navy
4-Georgetown, Rutgers, Yale, Michigan
3-North Carolina (2), Cornell (1), Johns Hopkins, Ohio State, Denver, Brown
2-Penn (1), Loyola (1), Penn State (1), Lehigh, Richmond
1-Towson (1), Villanova, Bucknell, Drexel, Vermont
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:37 am

He would be a good fit for D3. But most parents don't realize there are at least 30 D3 programs that are better coached, run, and supported by their school than many of the bottom 20 D1 schools. And that's not even considering academics.
Spoke with the dad. It’s on the table. Won’t decline a highly selective D3 school with desired major for a mid tier D1 school.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:05 pm

Spoke with the dad. It’s on the table. Won’t decline a highly selective D3 school with desired major for a mid tier D1 school.
Dad speaking from experience on this subject. My son had several offers from D1 schools, chose a D1 close to home that offered the Major he was looking for, and he knew some kids on the team. He played in more then 1/2 the games, the team wasn't very good, and the school was in a very restrictive area.(not a good area) He decided to leave at the end of the year and went to a mid level D3 and loves it.
Typical Lax Dad

laxdad1434 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:18 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:05 pm

Dad speaking from experience on this subject. My son had several offers from D1 schools, chose a D1 close to home that offered the Major he was looking for, and he knew some kids on the team. He played in more then 1/2 the games, the team wasn't very good, and the school was in a very restrictive area.(not a good area) He decided to leave at the end of the year and went to a mid level D3 and loves it.
👍
smoova

Post by smoova »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:05 pm Spoke with the dad. It’s on the table. Won’t decline a highly selective D3 school with desired major for a mid tier D1 school.
Another bit of unsolicited input on this: many HS players/parents think they can easily pivot to a top-D3 if/when their DI aspirations are not fulfilled. This is not generally accurate, especially when it comes to high-academic D3s; there are very few spots in those recruiting classes, the majority of the spots fill up very quickly after July 1 every year and those coaches are very keen to recruit players who have expressed a strong interest in the program for many months/years.
Typical Lax Dad

smoova wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:05 pm Spoke with the dad. It’s on the table. Won’t decline a highly selective D3 school with desired major for a mid tier D1 school.
Another bit of unsolicited input on this: many HS players/parents think they can easily pivot to a top-D3 if/when their DI aspirations are not fulfilled. This is not generally accurate, especially when it comes to high-academic D3s; there are very few spots in those recruiting classes, the majority of the spots fill up very quickly after July 1 every year and those coaches are very keen to recruit players who have expressed a strong interest in the program for many months/years.
Yes. 2-3 NESCACs in a holding pattern. You are right about the slots available also.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

The Transfer portal has changed that. My son had over 40 inquires when he hit the portal, some D1, D2, but most were D3's, including NESCAC, Centennial, NCAC schools. It also depends on position, GPA, character of the student athlete. Find/choose a place the student is comfortable with.
smoova

Post by smoova »

laxdad1434 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:30 pm
The Transfer portal has changed that. My son had over 40 inquires when he hit the portal, some D1, D2, but most were D3's, including NESCAC, Centennial, NCAC schools. It also depends on position, GPA, character of the student athlete. Find/choose a place the student is comfortable with.
Interesting - I was under the impression that the most selective NESCACs (Williams, Amherst, Midd, Bowdoin, Tufts) did not accepted transfer student athletes (at least for lacrosse). I've actually heard two of those coaches tell a PSA that they do not accept transfers, but that was over a year ago, so times may have changed.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

smoova wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:48 pm
Interesting - I was under the impression that the most selective NESCACs (Williams, Amherst, Midd, Bowdoin, Tufts) did not accepted transfer student athletes (at least for lacrosse). I've actually heard two of those coaches tell a PSA that they do not accept transfers, but that was over a year ago, so times may have changed.
It wasn't any of the schools you listed, but Tufts did take a kid from Denver.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Delete.
Last edited by smoova on Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

smoova wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:48 pm
You are correct about the majority of those NESCAC schools. Tufts has committed to athletics on a different level and is now able to pursue some transfers. They are pouring D1 level money into almost all of their athletics programs. They also have a much larger student population than other NESCACs, there are a large number of NESCAC coaches across different sports that are beginning to believe that Tufts is no longer in line with the “spirit of the NESCAC”.

In regards to the portal, I think that between NIL money and the portal there more D1 to D1 transfers then their used to be.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

An item not mentioned directly but very relevant to the COVID year is the availability of a one year MA/MS degree at the school whether it be DI/2/3. Lots of variables in play (GPA, GRE, what does/does not transfer, financial aid, etc.) but for some players lacrosse is only one of the variables.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Which makes the D3 option darn attractive.
Less cocktail bragging for mom and dad, but potentially way better experience.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:35 pm

Which makes the D3 option darn attractive.
Less cocktail bragging for mom and dad, but potentially way better experience.
I don’t know, with all due respect to institutions are you talking up that partial to Bellarmine or Mercer when a NESCAC or W&L was an easy and affordable option? That would be silly.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”