North Carolina 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: North Carolina 2023

Post by Finster »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:18 pm
Finster wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:59 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:49 pm If he’s re-signed he’s not going to be on the hot seat. They have the chance to move on right now, free of cost. They’re not going to pay to get rid of him and pay to hire a new coach next year. Either he’s gone this year or he’s at UNC for the long haul.

If he’s let go, what then becomes of Duffy? I assume he’s free to look around at that stage. Carolina’s AD will take it all in consideration. But maybe they offer Joe a one year extension? Or a two year deal, instead of five?

Notre Dame will have a lot to say about Joes future. I’m somewhat surprised the coaches poll has Carolina at 14.
Fin, what position did you play at Syracuse? From most of your expert analysis, I would guess either LSM, or SSDM given your attention to small things (that are big) like GB's, wing play and turnovers.
I hope you don't take my inquiry as prodding or personal, as it's just simply curiosity.
I played (rarely) attack in HS on Long Island and I stunk but loved to play.
Gobigred
Joewillie78

Actually, it’s pretty much only the ‘little things’ that I tend to look at in any game. Running to the end line first for control of ball is something that shows you which team came to play, or alternately, which team didn’t. From a bigger picture, those little things can tell you about a team’s culture, and whether I’d personally be psyched to be part of, or not. I played attack. And this weekend I get my first chance to see in person both Spallina and Thomson, so really looking forward to that.
Finster

Post by Finster »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:52 am
jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:49 pm If he’s re-signed he’s not going to be on the hot seat. They have the chance to move on right now, free of cost. They’re not going to pay to get rid of him and pay to hire a new coach next year. Either he’s gone this year or he’s at UNC for the long haul.

If he’s let go, what then becomes of Duffy? I assume he’s free to look around at that stage. Carolina’s AD will take it all in consideration. But maybe they offer Joe a one year extension? Or a two year deal, instead of five?

Notre Dame will have a lot to say about Joes future. I’m somewhat surprised the coaches poll has Carolina at 14.
Carolina gets top recruits every year. Their current freshmen class right now had two Top 10 recruits, both attackmen; Dom Petro was ranked higher in his class per IL than Duffy is. The class before that had 5 Top 20 recruits, all 5-stars. 1 recruit isn’t a consideration.

I’d agree with that, one exception. I don’t know what it is, but those two Long Island Catholics, Chaminade and St Anthony’s, when they produce a top-10 high school lacrosse player, they tend to transition quite well to the college game. I’m posting quite a bit here on Carolina’s thread (mostly because I just went to a game there) but I can’t really say I know the players all that well, so I can’t speak to the young Pietremela. How do you think he has he done so far? Injured? Red shirt? Fall ball performance?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Finster wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:40 am
joewillie78 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:18 pm

Fin, what position did you play at Syracuse? From most of your expert analysis, I would guess either LSM, or SSDM given your attention to small things (that are big) like GB's, wing play and turnovers.
I hope you don't take my inquiry as prodding or personal, as it's just simply curiosity.
I played (rarely) attack in HS on Long Island and I stunk but loved to play.
Gobigred
Joewillie78

Actually, it’s pretty much only the ‘little things’ that I tend to look at in any game. Running to the end line first for control of ball is something that shows you which team came to play, or alternately, which team didn’t. From a bigger picture, those little things can tell you about a team’s culture, and whether I’d personally be psyched to be part of, or not. I played attack. And this weekend I get my first chance to see in person both Spallina and Thomson, so really looking forward to that.
That young Syracuse team has got talent everywhere and they are starting to gell as a team. Gait and Petro have done a great job as I think they are ahead of schedule.
Spallina has scary stick skills and can score from anywhere and Thompson is super shifty.
Enjoy the game.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Lewisfrederick

Post by Lewisfrederick »

Heard changes were going to be made, announced later this week. Anyone have any insight?
thegman

Post by thegman »

Someone on the UNC fan board posted "news on Weds at 11." Take that for what it's worth

https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... 3/?page=10
molo

Post by molo »

Apparently not a lot. It’s 11:35.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Looks like Breschi will be staying as HC. Details of the contract will be announced "soon".
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Good,

give him a couple more years, maybe some assistant changes.
Lewisfrederick

Post by Lewisfrederick »

10 10 2 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:41 pm Looks like Breschi will be staying as HC. Details of the contract will be announced "soon".
Wow…. What a disastrous decision. We will be the doormat of the ACC and likely not make another tournament.

Genuine question… between now and the end of Breschi’s new contract who do you think we make the tournament again???

I think the women’s team will have more national championships than the men’s team will have NCAA tournament wins between now and than.
Lewisfrederick

Post by Lewisfrederick »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:55 pm Good,

give him a couple more years, maybe some assistant changes.
We’ve done assistant changes… he is the only constant
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Which assistant are you getting rid of? Metz or Unterstein?
coda

Post by coda »

Lewisfrederick wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:50 pm
10 10 2 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:41 pm Looks like Breschi will be staying as HC. Details of the contract will be announced "soon".
Wow…. What a disastrous decision. We will be the doormat of the ACC and likely not make another tournament.

Genuine question… between now and the end of Breschi’s new contract who do you think we make the tournament again???

I think the women’s team will have more national championships than the men’s team will have NCAA tournament wins between now and than.
Who would you have liked to have seen hired? I am just curious, no dog in this fight
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

there was a time when virtually no one, outside of hopkins, was fired for producing less than stellar or potential results in college lacrosse. dark ages, maybe, and obviously times and circumstances change. but that legacy is still there to a degree, relating it to say... football and basketball.

the hamster wheel that is the big time sports coaching carousel, to me at least, spits out a lot of chasing maveriks. surely a study can or has been done, to me it looks like there's a lot of chasing your tail. new staffs, new ad's, buyouts, turnover on virtually everything to placate and market the shiny new thing. for every success story, there are likely multiples (5x? 10x?) of look backs that are nothing but spinning wheels.

of course, people can get stale and complacent and be bad fits, tho i'm not sure we're not better off in lacrosse than having a constant carousel going. no, it shouldn't be a lifetime appointment. what are the university goals?

if assistants aren't pulling their weight, they're not immune. but if this ultimately is a scapegoat and lipstick thing, that's pretty sad. they typically do as much or more for a lot less.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I haven't seen anything to suggest this is what's happening but it would be pretty lame if Breschi stays and one or more of his assistants are let go. If you're admitting things are bad enough that changes are required, you should just start fresh. I also have no dog in this fight — Breschi seems like a nice guy and he's been through a lot so from a human standpoint I guess I'm glad he gets to keep his job but I hope it doesn't come at the expense of the staff around him.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:46 am there was a time when virtually no one, outside of hopkins, was fired for producing less than stellar or potential results in college lacrosse. dark ages, maybe, and obviously times and circumstances change. but that legacy is still there to a degree, relating it to say... football and basketball.

the hamster wheel that is the big time sports coaching carousel, to me at least, spits out a lot of chasing maveriks. surely a study can or has been done, to me it looks like there's a lot of chasing your tail. new staffs, new ad's, buyouts, turnover on virtually everything to placate and market the shiny new thing. for every success story, there are likely multiples (5x? 10x?) of look backs that are nothing but spinning wheels.

of course, people can get stale and complacent and be bad fits, tho i'm not sure we're not better off in lacrosse than having a constant carousel going. no, it shouldn't be a lifetime appointment. what are the university goals?

if assistants aren't pulling their weight, they're not immune. but if this ultimately is a scapegoat and lipstick thing, that's pretty sad. they typically do as much or more for a lot less.
I think UMD also had a track record of limited patience?

That said, I'd agree that most turnover (not caused by a coach simply moving to a higher paying program) has been when something went awry and the lacrosse program became a problem for the AD that simply doing reasonably well on the field most years didn't overcome.

I agree that scapegoating assistants is not good...indeed, usually the question is why they were chosen in the first place, how were they managed and mentored, not that it's necessarily their fault that under performance has been chronic...of course, sometimes there really is a poor fit, or the mix of coaches is 'stale', and a change is necessary.

I've seen that up pretty close with my alma mater and then at my son's program (both arguably in long stretches of 'under performance', now hopefully on the upswing) where good assistants for one reason or another left (usually for higher career opportunities in or out of lax but in one case a tragic death) and were replaced by assistants who were disasters...to me that's on the head coach to select and mentor good people. (note, some of those who choose lax coaching as a career are knuckleheads just like any field...and some of the coaches in lax would perform poorly in a business or professional setting, but were good 'athletes'...these coaches really shouldn't be managing young people in any setting, but they are...).

Seems to me this is really more about economics than anything else. In the non-revenue sports, for most schools the objective is certainly to create a program where excellence is expected and regularly achieved, but that doesn't mean dominance in a league much less nationally is required. Being competitive is required.

And what interrupts a just "competitive" is when something goes awry that makes the program a headache for the AD. Assistants can be part of a bad tone, but usually that means the head coach is allowing that to be the case.

Doesn't feel like that's the case for UNC, but perhaps there will be some turnover encouraged...but that should be up to the HC.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Good luck to Joe B. A truly good guy. Let’s hope he makes the changes he needs to make to get the Heels on track.
Lewisfrederick

Post by Lewisfrederick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:51 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:46 am there was a time when virtually no one, outside of hopkins, was fired for producing less than stellar or potential results in college lacrosse. dark ages, maybe, and obviously times and circumstances change. but that legacy is still there to a degree, relating it to say... football and basketball.

I think UMD also had a track record of limited patience?

That said, I'd agree that most turnover (not caused by a coach simply moving to a higher paying program) has been when something went awry and the lacrosse program became a problem for the AD that simply doing reasonably well on the field most years didn't overcome.

I agree that scapegoating assistants is not good...indeed, usually the question is why they were chosen in the first place, how were they managed and mentored, not that it's necessarily their fault that under performance has been chronic...of course, sometimes there really is a poor fit, or the mix of coaches is 'stale', and a change is necessary.

I've seen that up pretty close with my alma mater and then at my son's program (both arguably in long stretches of 'under performance', now hopefully on the upswing) where good assistants for one reason or another left (usually for higher career opportunities in or out of lax but in one case a tragic death) and were replaced by assistants who were disasters...to me that's on the head coach to select and mentor good people. (note, some of those who choose lax coaching as a career are knuckleheads just like any field...and some of the coaches in lax would perform poorly in a business or professional setting, but were good 'athletes'...these coaches really shouldn't be managing young people in any setting, but they are...).

Seems to me this is really more about economics than anything else. In the non-revenue sports, for most schools the objective is certainly to create a program where excellence is expected and regularly achieved, but that doesn't mean dominance in a league much less nationally is required. Being competitive is required.

And what interrupts a just "competitive" is when something goes awry that makes the program a headache for the AD. Assistants can be part of a bad tone, but usually that means the head coach is allowing that to be the case.

Doesn't feel like that's the case for UNC, but perhaps there will be some turnover encouraged...but that should be up to the HC.
I think what is important to note, no one was asking Bubba to fire JB. His contract is up and we should have hired someone new. We have won 9 of the last 30 conference games! That’s awful. Especially considering all the investment into the program in recent years… why invest so much if you are ok being embarrassed by rivals and missing the tournament consistently.

I know a number of men’s lax donors who aren’t going to be supporting the program going forward. At this point it is unacceptable and donating just encourages this terrible performance.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

that's a distinction without a difference. if there is one, it's worse, as you're cutting the coach off.

sounds like they can't write large enough checks, so it doesn't matter, anyway.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

jrn19 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:16 am Which assistant are you getting rid of? Metz or Unterstein?
My guess is it will be Metzbower. Which sucks. He was a big reason for the success of the 2016 and 2021 teams.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

According to IL the contract is for 3 years

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”