D1 Mens Lacrosse
harflax

Re: Towson 2023

Post by harflax »

Yes, Long was outstanding
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

harflax wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:03 pm Hope!! 8 of the 11 goals were scored by freshman, faceoffs (sophomore) won 18 of 22. Good win.
Yes, that was nice along with Long's play. The turnovers (23 by Towson) are just outrageous by both teams (22 by Fairfield). Difficult game to watch but hopefully that win gets them going.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

https://stonybrookathletics.com/sidearm ... s;period=F

Long was not outstanding today (7 saves), while Jamison MacLachlan was (17) for Stony Brook. Have to win a game where you have 54 shots to 35 and win 20 of 29 face-offs. Schrier with 3 goals with his first start on attack and DeMaio with 2 goals and 2 assists. But he also had two costly turnovers late in the game. We're struggling to find somebody behind the goal in that X role. I don't think DeMaio is that guy. Hmmm. Is there another lefty who has that ability to feed guys? First name Mike? Still need to finish better and Jamison obviously got in their heads, yet they couldn't get any stops in the second half when they needed to. Anderson just abused everyone who defended him in the fourth quarter. If they don't beat Hofstra next week, they will be playing for pride (not Hofstra Pride).
harflax

Post by harflax »

Agree about X, defense and goalie play gets an F- grade for the game. Awful communication miscues, got beat down the ally, got beat topside, Long continually got beat off stick side high. Brutal loss
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Hate to be negative. But, throughout the past few years, have the Tigers had serious issues in one-goal games?
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:30 pm Hate to be negative. But, throughout the past few years, have the Tigers had serious issues in one-goal games?
Yes, can't remember the last time they won a one goal game. They have to put these ones away, especially when they are winning faceoffs. Shooting was obviously an issue yesterday and they got SB's goalie hot early with some easy saves. It is encouraging to see the freshmen play well though. I actually don't think they should put Mikey at X - he did not play that position in HS and they have been successful with him initiating from the midfield. I do agree that he should have had the ball in his stick at the end of the game though. They will have to win at least 3 more CAA games to make the conference tournament this year
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

sc lax wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:02 am
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:30 pm Hate to be negative. But, throughout the past few years, have the Tigers had serious issues in one-goal games?
Yes, can't remember the last time they won a one goal game. They have to put these ones away, especially when they are winning faceoffs. Shooting was obviously an issue yesterday and they got SB's goalie hot early with some easy saves. It is encouraging to see the freshmen play well though. I actually don't think they should put Mikey at X - he did not play that position in HS and they have been successful with him initiating from the midfield. I do agree that he should have had the ball in his stick at the end of the game though. They will have to win at least 3 more CAA games to make the conference tournament this year
I think the problem is that we're trying to force DeMaio and Berkley do more than what they are capable of and that's initiates the offense. We don't really have a creator, which is why I keep pushing for Mikey at the X. Even if it's at midfield, put him behind the cage and do the same thing with Webber at times and Bender when he comes in on the second unit. DeMaio is a sniper and Berkley can dodge some, but always sees 2 and 3 poles in traffic and that's when he gets into trouble. I like Schrier and Villagomez as well, but you need somebody who can get them the ball. But having said all that, if we get one or two stops in the fourth quarter, we're not griping about another close loss.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

So, since one-goal losses was brought up, let's take a look at the last 15 one-goal games.

Loyola 11-12ot loss
Drexel 11-12ot loss
Stony Brook 12-13 loss

Richmond 15-16 (3ot) loss
UMBC 11-10 WIN
Drexel 13-12 WIN
Delaware 10-11 loss
Hofstra 14-15 loss

St. Joseph's 8-7ot Win
Richmond 10-11 loss
Delaware 12-13ot loss
Loyola 7-6ot Win
Hofstra 7-8 loss
Fairfield 12-11 Win
Drexel 11-12 loss

So 5-10 last 15 and 2-4 last 6 overtime games or 2-5 if you go back to the Maryland playoff loss in 2019.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Obviously, with all the losses certain stats stick out. But, most glaring is simply not shooting the ball with any consistency. In the last five losses: Richmond , Loyola UMBC, Drexel, Stoneybrook their shooting percentage is 22%, the opponents save % is 59%. This is ugly.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadca ... TMuMC4wLjA.

Towson 10-Hofstra 8. Tigers score an empty net goal late by Josh Webber so not technically a one-goal win, but this was a close game all the way. Wasn't pretty, but we'll take it. Freshman Ryan Schrier impresses again with three goals on six shots. One from Villagomez late in the game was huge. DeMaio with a career-high six assists (I'm just guessing. No way he had more than 3 before). I guess he can play the X role or the feeder role, even though he didn't score. But Long was the story with 20 saves. He was fantastic in net.

Neither team was very smooth on offense and 21 turnovers for Towson. It just can't happen against good teams and Hofstra, well, not very good. Neither is Towson but if they can sneak in the CAA Tournament, now in fourth place, you never know.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Math1234 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:09 pm https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadca ... TMuMC4wLjA.

Towson 10-Hofstra 8. Tigers score an empty net goal late by Josh Webber so not technically a one-goal win, but this was a close game all the way. Wasn't pretty, but we'll take it. Freshman Ryan Schrier impresses again with three goals on six shots. One from Villagomez late in the game was huge. DeMaio with a career-high six assists (I'm just guessing. No way he had more than 3 before). I guess he can play the X role or the feeder role, even though he didn't score. But Long was the story with 20 saves. He was fantastic in net.

Neither team was very smooth on offense and 21 turnovers for Towson. It just can't happen against good teams and Hofstra, well, not very good. Neither is Towson but if they can sneak in the CAA Tournament, now in fourth place, you never know.
It was a tough start for the Tigers, going down 4-0 very quickly. It was encouraging to see them battle back and eventually get the win. But you hit the nail on the head, if they start like that and play like that against Delaware it will be a long day. This team was some talent, they just need to limit the mistakes.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Last year DeMaio led the nation is shots. Credit to DeMaio for his unselfish play and embracing his role as playmaker. Six assists was impressive. A couple of them were thread the needle passes.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

harflax wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:59 am Last year DeMaio led the nation is shots. Credit to DeMaio for his unselfish play and embracing his role as playmaker. Six assists was impressive. A couple of them were thread the needle passes.
Yeah, we know he can shoot, but they really needed him to feed the ball and he did a great job.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Having an Attackman behind who feeds improves shooting percentage. You are making it more difficult on the goalie & defensive matchups ball side. Dodging up top all day leads to lowered shot percentage. You are right Demaio stepping up is big.

Denver @ Towson Thursday night Bill Tierneys last game in Baltimore. Nice matchup. Warm weather.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Constantinides is going to be key,
it looks like they clobbered Villanova at face off, then turned that advantage into a slow-down possession game - hopefully Tigers don’t fall for that, don’t let Denver dictate the style of play - and push it when the opportunities are there.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

It would be classic, for sure, if Towson, who has had major issues in one-goal games more often than not recently, defeats Bill Tierney, the best ever in such games, by one goal this evening!
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

PUBLIC WARNING: If anyone is planning on watching the Towson v Denver game tonight and you live anywhere near Baltimore, my advice to you is get to Johnny U Stadium. The game is being "broadcast" by LacrosseTV tonight. So that means anyone watching from home should expect several technical glitches throughout the game.

A LacrosseTV game is deemed successful if more than 60% of the game is actually viewable on your phone, computer or tablet. My $.02.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:34 pm It would be classic, for sure, if Towson, who has had major issues in one-goal games more often than not recently, defeats Bill Tierney, the best ever in such games, by one goal this evening!

I don't think this is going to be a one-goal game so we won't have to worry about losing another. :oops:
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Math1234 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:30 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:34 pm It would be classic, for sure, if Towson, who has had major issues in one-goal games more often than not recently, defeats Bill Tierney, the best ever in such games, by one goal this evening!

I don't think this is going to be a one-goal game so we won't have to worry about losing another. :oops:
And it's a one-goal game! :D
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:59 pm PUBLIC WARNING: If anyone is planning on watching the Towson v Denver game tonight and you live anywhere near Baltimore, my advice to you is get to Johnny U Stadium. The game is being "broadcast" by LacrosseTV tonight. So that means anyone watching from home should expect several technical glitches throughout the game.

A LacrosseTV game is deemed successful if more than 60% of the game is actually viewable on your phone, computer or tablet. My $.02.
Just tried to watch online and the video would not start. That sucks because it’s a 1 goal game in the 3rd period.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”