Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by oldbartman »

To echo Ketch, a win is a win. That said, fugly defense. I am still not sold on Sotiropoulos, even though Ted B. commented that he has the starting job. His performance was far from convincing. 3 maybe 4 difficult saves . The rest were not real threats, 2 or 3 should have been saved. There is too much jumping and flopping in the crease. Shea's injury is the most concerning, especially with Sisselberger at Lehigh next Saturday.

Positives... Datellas, Shea pre injury, and some some early aggressive play by the starting D. 2 regular midfield lines. Wish Bach would have continued his early aggressive style .Davis's quiet contributions were nice uptick for the O.

Negatives.... week effort past mid Q3. Defense looked porous in Q 4. Penalties will kill us against stronger foes if our man-down teamdoesn't get it together fast.

Congrats to Delaney and Peterkin for their 1st goals. A wooden H is headed your way I believe.

Very concerning are the in-game injuries as well as the large amount of players who didn't see the field in what should have been a complete blowout. Are they injured as well? It's going to be long week of practice.
Last edited by oldbartman on Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I watched two of our future opponents play today, Bobby Mo and St. Joe’s. Both looked great in their victories. Could not help but notice our diminutive size in comparison to both of those teams. We are too small to be competitive against teams like that on a steady basis…
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

So, someone said Lehigh lost last weekend, but they smoked Fairfield, 20-10 actually.

https://lehighsports.com/news/2023/2/11 ... pener.aspx

Sisselberger went 19-30 at the X, which is no surprise. Looks like they have a lot of options on offense. Bart's D will need to be way sharper Saturday to have a chance at a rare road win.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FL-GO wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:40 am So, someone said Lehigh lost last weekend, but they smoked Fairfield, 20-10 actually.

https://lehighsports.com/news/2023/2/11 ... pener.aspx

Sisselberger went 19-30 at the X, which is no surprise. Looks like they have a lot of options on offense. Bart's D will need to be way sharper Saturday to have a chance at a rare road win.
That was probably me, IL had a bunch of screwed up stats last Sat. 4-5 games that were upside down.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Ketch wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:54 pm I watched two of our future opponents play today, Bobby Mo and St. Joe’s. Both looked great in their victories. Could not help but notice our diminutive size in comparison to both of those teams. We are too small to be competitive against teams like that on a steady basis…
Been beating that drum for years, Ketch. Don't understand why we seem to keep getting smaller??
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Gee maybe we should go back to D3..... do they have smaller players?
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

SMAIN wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:12 pm Gee maybe we should go back to D3..... do they have smaller players?
I'm sure that this is tongue in cheek...

For as long as I can remember we have favored smaller, quicker players. We're now playing in a league that favors larger and stronger. We really need to beef up. Currently we have SSDMs that are running in the 160 lbs.-170 lbs. range. Imagine what's going to happen when we play St. Joe's with their 185 lbs. to 195 lbs. (and sometimes larger) middies. Even their attackmen are huge. I'm not down on our players at all. We do have a lot of talent, I believe. But we do need to start recruiting some size to go along with the small and quick.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

SMAIN wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:12 pm Gee maybe we should go back to D3..... do they have smaller players?
To state the blatantly obvious: YES, D3 teams are much smaller...lacrosse is similar to football in that regard. D1 is bigger, faster & stronger.
smoova

Post by smoova »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:01 pm
To state the blatantly obvious: YES, D3 teams are much smaller...lacrosse is similar to football in that regard. D1 is bigger, faster & stronger.
You may want to take a spin through the rosters of the top 20-25 D3 schools ...
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

smoova wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:20 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:01 pm
You may want to take a spin through the rosters of the top 20-25 D3 schools ...
I recently took a spin through the Cortland roster. They do have decent size, certainly comparable to Hobart. They don't have comparable quicks and speed though, from what I've seen. I'm more concerned with looking at the mammoth size of our current competition. Take a spin through the St. Joe's roster.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:39 pm
I'm sure that this is tongue in cheek...

For as long as I can remember we have favored smaller, quicker players. We're now playing in a league that favors larger and stronger. We really need to beef up. Currently we have SSDMs that are running in the 160 lbs.-170 lbs. range. Imagine what's going to happen when we play St. Joe's with their 185 lbs. to 195 lbs. (and sometimes larger) middies. Even their attackmen are huge. I'm not down on our players at all. We do have a lot of talent, I believe. But we do need to start recruiting some size to go along with the small and quick.
The bigger kids have either been offensive players or not out in those roles-Henry Mann, David Biegler, Tanner John, etc. Matt Smalley, Sean Cunningham and Stanny Gilbertson weren’t that big. They could play physical beyond their size of course:

Stu Greenspon couldn’t get in the field for us at 6’3” 195 and transferred to W&L and had a strong career.

It’s obviously more nuanced than size vs speed is my only point.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

I think that size and valuing a player based on how big they are is a very outdated way of thinking. Kyle Driscoll is one of the best D mids in the A10 and he’s sub 170. Strength is deceptive… Coach Gray has these guys ready to go in terms of strength. The roster is better than this thread acknowledges. Offensively speaking, the collective style that’s being implemented this year is fun to watch. Once these young guys get comfortable, this team will be much better than last years in my mind. Peterkin is a special talent and I’d say the same about Delano. Delano is very similar to a young Ryan Archer for sure stylistically. I see Hobart beating Lehigh this weekend and that’s the momentum they’ll need to prove many wrong over the course of the season. If I know these guys at all, being doubted and seen as the underdog is exactly what they’re looking for.
fatherof2

Post by fatherof2 »

Well, you could have a coach recruit 6-4 defensive lugs and then yell at them to "play like they're 5-10."
Famous line of Marks and Miyashita
True story
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Size is one thing....TALENTED size is another. I went to Cortland State's practice last spring, and their D is BIG; doesn't mean they can play. We can all point out guys that are smaller in stature and have made major impacts. As BJ O'hara would say: "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane"! All you have to do is look at top teams, size wins. Sure, teams have their skeeter-bug types, but size wins.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

fatherof2 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:37 am Well, you could have a coach recruit 6-4 defensive lugs and then yell at them to "play like they're 5-10."
True story
Should’ve sent the younger brother to Bart!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:56 am
fatherof2 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:37 am Well, you could have a coach recruit 6-4 defensive lugs and then yell at them to "play like they're 5-10."
True story
Should’ve sent the younger brother to Bart!
Don't know many coaches recruiting 6-4 "lugs"...
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

We have some size. Barthelme, Bach, Delany, Wimer ... and smaller guys like Simas and Sampson are bigger now after several years of lifting. But in the end, if Delano beats out Barthelme for a starting attack role, I guess size didn't matter. I agree with Bighoss, esp with regards to Kyle Driscoll ... who has always been underrated for us. The coaches are just playing the guys who win the role and fit the system. It's not like they are purposely recruiting small players.
Lehigh will be a big test. We have the skills and plenty of size. But do we have the mindset for 4 full quarters? We'll find out.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:57 pm We have some size. Barthelme, Bach, Delany, Wimer ... and smaller guys like Simas and Sampson are bigger now after several years of lifting. But in the end, if Delano beats out Barthelme for a starting attack role, I guess size didn't matter. I agree with Bighoss, esp with regards to Kyle Driscoll ... who has always been underrated for us. The coaches are just playing the guys who win the role and fit the system. It's not like they are purposely recruiting small players.
Lehigh will be a big test. We have the skills and plenty of size. But do we have the mindset for 4 full quarters? We'll find out.
I hate to say this but, I've watched Bart for a long time and I'd say they played a full 4 quarters about 20% of the time. When they do, they win or have very close games.

The $64,000 question for the Lehigh game is Shea going to be able to go? If not, it could be a tough day. No offense to Schofield, who really settled in after his first few faceoffs. The defense will HAVE to play much tighter. Allowing Canisius to drop 7 on us in a quarter, reserves in or not, is just plain bad. An additional worry is in goal. I didn't see a great job in goal last game. Does Holtby get the nod?
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Randomly looking at Hobart roster, 61 players, wow, how do you keep all those guys happy.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:57 pm We have some size. Barthelme, Bach, Delany, Wimer ... and smaller guys like Simas and Sampson are bigger now after several years of lifting. But in the end, if Delano beats out Barthelme for a starting attack role, I guess size didn't matter. I agree with Bighoss, esp with regards to Kyle Driscoll ... who has always been underrated for us. The coaches are just playing the guys who win the role and fit the system. It's not like they are purposely recruiting small players.
I agree fully. I think Shea is quite literally the “X factor” this season. Possession is 75 percent of the game, unless you don’t have it, then it’s 100 percent. I think Bart has the ability to beat them and in my opinion that would spark a good run as younger groups feeling a sense of confidence after a big win is a formula for success.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”