THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by HopFan16 »

Hearing we dropped UMBC from the schedule this year
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Yep. Mount St. Mary's replaces UMBC.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/RAgko0f7LVYof/

Anyone know why the Big Ten changed the alternating home/away pattern? We're at Michigan and Penn State for the second straight year, while we get Ohio State at home again. Early homecoming this year against Rutgers on April 6.

4 of the first 5 games are away from Homewood. But then 3 in a row and 5 of the next 6 are at Homewood. Ending the season with trips to PSU and UMD. Second straight year of only 2 conference games at home.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

According to Chris Jastrzembski of College Crosse twitter:

But if one thing’s for sure, we’re gonna have Rutgers-PSU, Hopkins-Maryland, and Ohio State-Michigsn on the final weekend of Big Ten regular season play. Rivalry Week is here.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Lax Fidelis wrote:
Bluejayfan2 wrote:Seems he and Dwan could donate a few lbs to the middle age healthy back cause.
Having lost 50 pounds within the last ~three months, I have a method for shedding weight that I do NOT recommend.
Hope you are OK. That sounds ominous and I hope it’s not C.

You and One L have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

I’m in fricking NJ doing something railroad related.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

5 minutes left - Jays up by 28 on Frostburg I'm going to think that is pretty safe and offer up congrats to Coach Margraff.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

We're on to RPI which was unranked but, beat #4 Brockport! Should be a hell of a game! cya1
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Drcthru wrote:We're on to RPI which was unranked but, beat #4 Brockport! Should be a hell of a game! cya1
Kickoff at noon, Saturday, 1 DEC. AT HOMEWOOD!!!

2nd ever trip to the quarterfinals. Time to break on through to the other side!

W

Hey, drc, you need to spell success correctly in your signature, especially when quoting Patton.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote:
Lax Fidelis wrote:
Bluejayfan2 wrote:Seems he and Dwan could donate a few lbs to the middle age healthy back cause.
Having lost 50 pounds within the last ~three months, I have a method for shedding weight that I do NOT recommend.
Hope you are OK. That sounds ominous and I hope it’s not C.

You and One L have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

I’m in fricking NJ doing something railroad related.
Crickets, as expected.

Dad has entered a phase of his life when he is revealing all of his secrets.

I now know his very successful pick up lines.

Thanks, Dad, you know, you could have shared these 40 years ago...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoping that this weekend's football game is just the first of the Jays' trips to the semi-finals. Maybe Margraff and Petro have a little friendly wager going—if football makes it, men's lax has to as well. The Jays should be favored at home on Saturday against RPI. Very winnable game.

On the IL podcast a few weeks ago they mentioned that many D1 coaches are very high on us this year, most likely because we return a pretty strong defensive core to build on. Though a lot still hinges on getting decent goalie play. And winning faceoffs.

All games with the exception of the mid-week Tuesday game vs. the Mount are on Saturdays. No Sunday night Big Ten games for us this year. As a TV viewer, I'm going to miss those. I know they can sometimes be difficult for fans/family to travel to.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

You look at the schedule and you look at what we graduated and I think you start here in trying to gauge matchups w Woodall and Schwenk as the only top returning f/o guys we see before the b1g schedule.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... vidual/410
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

HopFan16 wrote:Hoping that this weekend's football game is just the first of the Jays' trips to the semi-finals. Maybe Margraff and Petro have a little friendly wager going—if football makes it, men's lax has to as well. The Jays should be favored at home on Saturday against RPI. Very winnable game.

On the IL podcast a few weeks ago they mentioned that many D1 coaches are very high on us this year, most likely because we return a pretty strong defensive core to build on. Though a lot still hinges on getting decent goalie play. And winning faceoffs.

All games with the exception of the mid-week Tuesday game vs. the Mount are on Saturdays. No Sunday night Big Ten games for us this year. As a TV viewer, I'm going to miss those. I know they can sometimes be difficult for fans/family to travel to.
Man, I’m seeing a lot of rain in the forecast.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote:Hoping that this weekend's football game is just the first of the Jays' trips to the semi-finals. Maybe Margraff and Petro have a little friendly wager going—if football makes it, men's lax has to as well. The Jays should be favored at home on Saturday against RPI. Very winnable game.

Ran across this today. Of course, I thought about you: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11 ... intestines
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Typical Lax Dad wrote:

Ran across this today. Of course, I thought about you: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11 ... intestines
That’s how I try to post too. My messages are little cubes.

Some people like the cubes.

Some people like to squish, crush or edit them.

W
viper

Post by viper »

Anybody have any idea about the status of Liam Darragh (https://www.calverthall.com/page/news-detail?pk=966359). I don't see him on the current JHU roster.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I would imagine it's a lot harder to get an elite d3 school football team together than it is a d1 lacrosse program. No scholarship $, more kids to find, more coaches, probably less juice w admissions, and still obviously a private school cost+ cost of living in an east coast city when compared to some of these places most of us have never heard of. On the other hand, it's not like Margraff is competing against bucolic settings like Charlottesville, the Princeton network, or kids who've seen cameron indoor and carrier dome on their tee vees since they learned to walk. I don't know the sports admissions game like some of you, but it's interesting that schools like Williams, Amherst, Hopkins, and MIT-which competes in more sports than any other school in the nation put care into doing well.

They're not professional journalists, but w/IL's cutbacks a few years ago, these guys have been the only consistent daily d1 writing on the sport.
https://www.collegecrosse.com/

It's run by an Orange alum, so take it with a grain of salt, but I enjoy their work and respect their hustle. They've been doing schedule breakdowns as we sort of wait for the preseason previews to get fully caught up on things. I was hoping the athletic, a new subscription based website which has invested in stuff like hockey would add some d1 lacrosse coverage since it seems like a space ripe for more coverage but I guess we'll have to see in the spring.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: They're not professional journalists, but w/IL's cutbacks a few years ago, these guys have been the only consistent daily d1 writing on the sport.

It's run by an Orange alum, so take it with a grain of salt, but I enjoy their work and respect their hustle. They've been doing schedule breakdowns as we sort of wait for the preseason previews to get fully caught up on things. I was hoping the athletic, a new subscription based website which has invested in stuff like hockey would add some d1 lacrosse coverage since it seems like a space ripe for more coverage but I guess we'll have to see in the spring.
It's actually co-run by a Hopkins grad and a Cuse grad.
viper wrote:Anybody have any idea about the status of Liam Darragh (https://www.calverthall.com/page/news-detail?pk=966359). I don't see him on the current JHU roster.
Awhile back Xanders mentioned on Twitter that he was at JHU as a student, but not on the lacrosse team. Unclear if that's permanent or if he'll join the roster at some point. But that's the last I heard.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:

That’s how I try to post too. My messages are little cubes.

Some people like the cubes.

Some people like to squish, crush or edit them.

W
That is the funniest thing I have read this week!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

jhu06 wrote:I would imagine it's a lot harder to get an elite d3 school football team together than it is a d1 lacrosse program. No scholarship $, more kids to find, more coaches, probably less juice w admissions, and still obviously a private school cost+ cost of living in an east coast city when compared to some of these places most of us have never heard of. On the other hand, it's not like Margraff is competing against bucolic settings like Charlottesville, the Princeton network, or kids who've seen cameron indoor and carrier dome on their tee vees since they learned to walk. I don't know the sports admissions game like some of you, but it's interesting that schools like Williams, Amherst, Hopkins, and MIT-which competes in more sports than any other school in the nation put care into doing well.

They're not professional journalists, but w/IL's cutbacks a few years ago, these guys have been the only consistent daily d1 writing on the sport.

The difficult part is admissions (like no one knew that!). The money aspect is actually easier since D3 sports use need-based aid (like the Ivies do in D1) with no number limit and most, probably including JHU, work it through the Financial Aid office with the rest of the student body. With Bloomberg's most recent gift, there will be fewer loans and more outright grants given to all students. The money aspect gives the Ivies a leg up on the B1G, ACC, Big East, etc., in lacrosse. It's hard to imagine there are many players at an Ivy whose family's finances don't put them into a situation where the Ivy's need-based aid exceeds the partial that the grant-in-aid conferences hand out. The only ones that readily come to my mind are the two Rockefeller brothers who played football for Princeton.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

HopFan16 wrote:
jhu06 wrote: They're not professional journalists, but w/IL's cutbacks a few years ago, these guys have been the only consistent daily d1 writing on the sport.

It's actually co-run by a Hopkins grad and a Cuse grad.
viper wrote:Anybody have any idea about the status of Liam Darragh (https://www.calverthall.com/page/news-detail?pk=966359). I don't see him on the current JHU roster.
Awhile back Xanders mentioned on Twitter that he was at JHU as a student, but not on the lacrosse team. Unclear if that's permanent or if he'll join the roster at some point. But that's the last I heard.
I wasn’t sure when I’d ever use the creative photo below, but since the Orange have been mentioned:
076B3F0C-7A38-4F6E-887C-DA11FE9D2ED1.jpeg
076B3F0C-7A38-4F6E-887C-DA11FE9D2ED1.jpeg (46.44 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
Speaking of Oranges, anyone remember the huge Orange Bombardment at Homewood in the mid-1980s?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

HowieT3 wrote:...The money aspect is actually easier since D3 sports use need-based aid (like the Ivies do in D1) with no number limit and most, probably including JHU, work it through the Financial Aid office with the rest of the student body. With Bloomberg's most recent gift, there will be fewer loans and more outright grants given to all students. The money aspect gives the Ivies a leg up on the B1G, ACC, Big East, etc., in lacrosse. It's hard to imagine there are many players at an Ivy whose family's finances don't put them into a situation where the Ivy's need-based aid exceeds the partial that the grant-in-aid conferences hand out. The only ones that readily come to my mind are the two Rockefeller brothers who played football for Princeton.
Hmmm, well, need-based aid can work very well for students coming from relatively low-income areas, like up-state and western New York State. However, Long Island is an expensive place to live; parents from there who earn a decent salary for the area (that would be a high salary elsewhere in the country) often find that Ivy need-based aid doesn't cover the bulk of tuition. So there often are students loans, financial belt-tightening, etc. for Long Island lacrosse families whose children go Ivy. Of course, another aspect is that after graduation Yale lacrosse players (like JHU lax players, I'd suppose) have a lot of doors open to them for lucrative jobs and careers that facilitate re-paying student loans.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”