Archbishop Spalding vs St. Paul's 4:15pm @Spalding; Crusies light up Cavs 17-10
Boys' Latin vs Severn 4:15pm @Boys’ Latin; Lakeshow sinks Admirals 13-5
St. Mary's vs John Carroll 7:00pm @St. Mary’s; Saints cruise over Pats 16-4
Peter Brown

Re: MIAA A Conference

Post by Peter Brown »

mliz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:15 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:53 am
mliz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 pm It's important to note that MIAA teams typically play most or all of their out of conference games at or near the very beginning of their spring season when they're not anywhere near even being in mid-season form. MIAA teams also have plenty of multi-sport athletes which means that all of our players don't only play lacrosse year round. (If I'm not mistaken, the post grads lacrosse players at Hill only play lacrosse year round) With these two points in mind, I'm gonna argue that it's not half bad to either beat or lose by a goal to teams like Culver or Hill in the spring. It's almost like winning when you lose by a goal or two to a team of 19yos who play nothing but lacrosse year round. I would also point out that Culver didn't make it into the NHSLS playoff bracket last summer when MIAA team players were coming out of their spring season and into summer club season in peak form.

Other private high school leagues I've noticed over the years use this same excuse to diminish OOC play or early season losses as if they're nothing: we aren't in mid-season form.

Let's be straight: of any league in the country that has less reason to excuse/lose any early-season games, it's the MIAA where kids play as much as they can (or used to anyway) from the age of 1 onward. I never thought I'd see the day when MIAA parents make this excuse; I expect it from leagues where parents didn't play the sport, or where parents or young alum didn't grow up around a lacrosse stick, but the MIAA? C'mon, man.

The MIAA loses to Culver and Hill for many reasons:

1. Culver and Hill look at the Baltimore/DC weeks as their season; they are amped beyond belief
2. The MIAA teams invariably make some really bone=headed mistake at exactly the wrong time
3. The weather is often poor; know which team doesn't focus on weather? the team with more energy
4. FO's have historically been against the MIAA; that changed this year, especially McDonogh versus Culver
5. And uh not to be too obvious, Hill and Culver are simply better

In all my years, the area of the country where I never hear this excuse of 'poor early season form' is from Nassau and Suffolk County. I don't know if the parents and kids are just tougher there, but I swear I have never heard a parent or kid from that part of the country ever complain if Garden City or Chaminade lose to an MIAA team on their first day outside...they're more angry with themselves.
So you think that kids who play nothing but lacrosse year round (don't play football, soccer, hockey, or basketball in the fall and winter) should not beat kids who do play those other sports in the seasons leading up to spring? I'd say it's fairly weak that they are only winning against MIAA teams by a goal or two. I don't consider that a huge win when they're playing against kids who likely haven't touched their sticks between late summer and February.

I’m one of those ‘kids who played three sports in the MIAA’. But I guess I’m not one of those ‘kids who didn’t touch a stick between late summer and spring’ because like everyone else I knew who prized lacrosse, I played off season in the gym, in the school hallways, in my parents basement, and on vacation. Basically every chance I got. I had five sticks and they traveled where I traveled. Which is why my mother always screamed at me to pick up a book (which I’m hindsight I probably should’ve done).

Your analysis is what you’d normally hear from northeast private’s. And like I said, you’d never hear it from Long Island where they come ready to play no matter which game. Kids in Maryland have far more opportunities to play lacrosse (if they choose) than other parts of the country and Canada, and excuses aren’t attractive. Hill and Culver are causing the MIAA to up their game and it’s a good thing because we need it; excepting CHC and McDonogh, we’ve gotten progressively soft and somewhat less skilled relative to other leagues. I’m hoping that changes.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Kids all over the country are playing multiple sports but still manage to have a lacrosse stick in their hand in the off-season. Not because they have to, but because they love the game. Stickwork is a given (although it sounds like it was a little rough the other night). Athleticism, teamwork, tough gb's, shooting, defense, desire--those seem to be the differentiators when we are talking about the top teams. Maybe the MIAA is down this year, but also, just maybe, everyone else has caught up and the MIAA is finally realizing it.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

excepting CHC and McDonogh, we’ve gotten progressively soft
You haven’t seen McD lately. A shell of its early-season, former self.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Public/Private Challenges in Anne Arundel County:

John Carroll beats Chesapeake AA 17-8.
Spalding beats Severna Park 13-6
Broadneck beats Severn 10-9.
Broadneck beats Spalding 9-7
John Carroll beats Northeast AA 16-4.

Severn/Severna Park in OT...
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Severna Park beats Severn in OT
Broadneck beat Spalding

Not a good day for the MIAA A division.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Turnandrake wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:36 pm Severna Park beats Severn in OT
Broadneck beat Spalding

Not a good day for the MIAA A division.
Really?
We're going to think that a good local public team shouldn't beat the bottom rung of the MIAA in any given year?

Since when hasn't that been the case?
Are we so arrogant to think kids don't play the sport well at publics???

All this gnashing of teeth about the MIAA is kinda embarrassing to an old guy like me, three generations in the local scene.

Sure, the top 2-3 or so teams, whoever they are in any given year, have always been competitive with pretty much anyone nationally, including whoever happens to be the very best from the Island or wherever else.

And sure the next 3-4 teams can pretty much knock off the top 3 on any given day, but since when did we expect to be better than the very best teams nationally, all the time?

Do we really want to be sports academies in order to brag about being the 'best'?

IMO, we're already way out of control with the recruiting for sports in the MIAA. Do we really want to chase schools which recruit nationally?

PS, Peter, I too played 3 sports (Gilman) yet had a stick in my hands much of the year...but very little in the fall or winter. My son and his buddies played more than in my era in the fall/winter, though in between HS seasons and once a week indoor. But to compare that to the process at Hill where kids literally try out for lacrosse or hockey in order to gain admission and then play their sport year round, all the time, as a team...dunno how we can expect kids getting off a basketball court, wrestling mat, squash court, whatever to be as ready as a team...

My suggestion is to lighten up.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

This week's games. Home team first.

2019-04-23
Calvert Hall Mount St. Joseph 4:00 pm
Gilman Loyola Blakefield 4:15 pm
Archbishop Spalding St. Paul's 4:15 pm
Boys' Latin Severn 4:15 pm
St. Mary's John Carroll 7:00 pm

2019-04-26
John Carroll Severn 4:00 pm
McDonogh St. Mary's 4:30 pm
Mount St. Joseph Boys' Latin 4:50 pm

2019-04-27
Gilman Calvert Hall 1:00 pm
Loyola Blakefield Archbishop Spalding 2:00 pm
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Juslaxin16

Post by Juslaxin16 »

McD and St.Marys is the game of the week IMO. If McD drops this one they most likely are out of the playoffs. I can’t wait to see this game!

thatsmell wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:19 am This week's games. Home team first.

2019-04-23

2019-04-26
John Carroll Severn 4:00 pm
McDonogh St. Mary's 4:30 pm
Mount St. Joseph Boys' Latin 4:50 pm

2019-04-27
Gilman Calvert Hall 1:00 pm
Loyola Blakefield Archbishop Spalding 2:00 pm
GymTeacher

Post by GymTeacher »

Assuming SMs beat the Eagles on Friday, I can't remember the last time MCD wasn't in the 6 team playoffs. Has to be at least 10 years. I know they've been in the semis for the past 6 years which is pretty amazing.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

I would not make any assumption about St. Mary's/McDonogh. Their largest league loss was 4 to Calvert Hall, just like St. Mary's. Gilman and Archbishop Spalding are ahead of them. Rest of the way:

Gilman: Calvert Hall, John Carroll, Boy's Latin, McDonogh.

Archbishop Spalding: St. Paul's, Loyola, Boy's Latin, Calvert Hall, John Carroll.

McDonogh: St. Mary's, Mount St. Joseph, Severn, Gilman.

Gilman at McDonogh on 5/7 might be for the last playoff spot.

Also, if St. Mary's should beat McDonogh they are almost a lock for 2nd place. Besides McDonogh they have John Carroll, Severn and Mount St. Joseph.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Going with all the home teams today, including my upset special of Spalding over St. P.
:?:
MPSSAAlaxfan

Post by MPSSAAlaxfan »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:00 pm Calvert Hall Mount St. Joseph 4:00 pm
Going with all the home teams today, including my upset special of Spalding over St. P.
:?:
Agree, but can't see Spalding pulling the upset. SP by 5
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Gilman 14 Loyola 13 (OT).

St. Paul’s beats Spalding 12-5.

BL beats Severn 13-7.

John Carroll scores early in the 3rd q to cut St Mary’s lead to 9-5.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

St Mary’s gets in gear and wins 14-6.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Looking forward to McD Vs. St Mary's and Gilman Vs. CH!
Think both should be great, tight games!
GymTeacher

Post by GymTeacher »

CHC blows Gilman out by 5-6. SM vs MCD: I'm not sure. SM killed the Eagles last year but both teams are quite different. If MCD can dominate the FO X, look for them to compete, if SM goes 50% or better at the X, look for them to win by 4-5.
viper

Post by viper »

GymTeacher wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:07 am CHC blows Gilman out by 5-6. SM vs MCD: I'm not sure. SM killed the Eagles last year but both teams are quite different. If MCD can dominate the FO X, look for them to compete, if SM goes 50% or better at the X, look for them to win by 4-5.
CHC routs Mt St Joe 19-3 on senior day. They seemed to stop attacking the goal with about 8 minutes left in the game. If CHC comes prepared I think they will handle Gilman on Saturday.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

If you only looked at McD's record, you'd think McD is better than every team in the nation and there are several MIAA teams that are better than McD. I.e. The top teams in the nation would all be MIAA teams. But you need to look at McD's, and only McD's, schedule.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

Throwing in 2 cents here... I have now seen almost everyone in person and I have seen everyone on film.

CHC is the clear front-runner. They are well-coached, experienced, and can bring waves of good players into every scenario. This combo will serve them well as it gets warmer and the pressure comes on.

There are a couple of teams just behind CHC who capable of stepping up and knocking off the Cards (certainly SM, probably SP, and maybe someone else (see below)) but to do so those challengers will need to play near flawless lacrosse for the entire game.... CHC will make you pay for any lapses or breakdowns... In other words.... "You come at the king, you best not miss."

Not sure what was going on at McD a couple weeks back but they also can bring waves of talented guys, an elite FOGO, and are extremely well-coached. I expect to see them back solidly in the early May mix. Don't be surprised to see McD in the final four, taking their best shot at CHC in the semis.
Last edited by Lax_04 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”