Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:17 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:01 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:52 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:51 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:02 pm you guys are all talking like ivy ai spots will be around in 5 years.
Ivy AI spots ( hurdles) are always changing.....Let’s see how many convert their varsity sports to club. I bet they all do.....these people are wasting money.

https://facilities.princeton.edu/projec ... ts-stadium
are they, though? the point was raised. maybe, just maybe, it's gotten really, really competitive for an ivy spot... so how many and how long are spots reserved for folks whose specialty is sports? has covid emphasized that morph and emboldened stakeholders that will wrestle with boosters? it's a legitimate question.

you may disagree and see it as far fetched. only those in a very tight circle know which way the wind is blowing.

and after all, everything i've read... they're students first. everyone's happy.
Not sure. Yale has increased enrollment capacity and Princeton has as well as a result of building new residential colleges. I believe Princeton has more economic diversity than most of its peers. In Princeton’s case, those new slots won’t be for Fairfield County, Westchester County, Montgomery County, Louden County lax types.

Anything is possible. I will believe Ivy League schools will drop varsity sports when I see it. NESCAC drop varsity sports yet? I wonder how many AI slots Williams gets?
what's williams' endowment?
Close to $3B I believe.
2.6 to 2.7. charitably, less than 10% of hyp. hyp doesn't "need" the money.
does williams?
hyp is in the home stretch. we got what we need. what do we want to be? do we want to unequivocally be the best?

stanford. dartmouth. winds of change.

caltech and mit survive and thrive.

it's all conjecture at this point. but still.
Could have been conjecture 5, 10, 20 years ago and may be conjecture 5, 10, 20 years from now. When I see those schools eliminate varsity sports, I will be convinced then that those schools are anti inter-collegiate sports.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:38 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:02 pm you guys are all talking like ivy ai spots will be around in 5 years.
Ivy AI spots ( hurdles) are always changing.....Let’s see how many convert their varsity sports to club. I bet they all do.....these people are wasting money.

are they, though? the point was raised. maybe, just maybe, it's gotten really, really competitive for an ivy spot... so how many and how long are spots reserved for folks whose specialty is sports? has covid emphasized that morph and emboldened stakeholders that will wrestle with boosters? it's a legitimate question.

you may disagree and see it as far fetched. only those in a very tight circle know which way the wind is blowing.

and after all, everything i've read... they're students first. everyone's happy.
Not sure. Yale has increased enrollment capacity and Princeton has as well as a result of building new residential colleges. I believe Princeton has more economic diversity than most of its peers. In Princeton’s case, those new slots won’t be for Fairfield County, Westchester County, Montgomery County, Louden County lax types.

Anything is possible. I will believe Ivy League schools will drop varsity sports when I see it. NESCAC drop varsity sports yet? I wonder how many AI slots Williams gets?
Close to $3B I believe.
does williams?
hyp is in the home stretch. we got what we need. what do we want to be? do we want to unequivocally be the best?

Could have been conjecture 5, 10, 20 years ago and may be conjecture 5, 10, 20 years from now. When I see those schools eliminate varsity sports, I will be convinced then that those schools are anti inter-collegiate sports.
did dartmouth propose dropping multiple sports 10 or 20 years ago?
has stanford ever dropped even a singular sport?
maybe they have. asking for 11? something's going on.

and if the ai gets dropped, it's rowing and squash.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:44 pm

Close to $3B I believe.
does williams?

Not sure if there was any conjecture back then but not acted on. You know otherwise? I don’t. How many colleges have dropped track over the past 25 years?

https://education.stateuniversity.com/p ... ITIES.html
Typical Lax Dad

These schools dropped sports for sure:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... cent-years
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:48 pm

Close to $3B I believe.
does williams?

Not sure if there was any conjecture back then but not acted on. You know otherwise? I don’t. How many colleges have dropped track over the past 25 years?

i know stanford has never announced trying to eliminate 11 sports? and having made the decision to do so.

same with dartmouth.

are you saying it's nuts to think there might be smoke with both that and the arms race on usnwr and humblebrags on acceptance rates?
the ivies bailed on competing in football and hoops long ago. to guess other non-revenue sports might follow suit given everything doesn't seem like a major stretch.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:05 pm

Close to $3B I believe.
does williams?

i know stanford has never announced trying to eliminate 11 sports? and having made the decision to do so.

same with dartmouth.

are you saying it's nuts to think there might be smoke with both that and the arms race on usnwr and humblebrags on acceptance rates?
the ivies bailed on competing in football and hoops long ago. to guess other non-revenue sports might follow suit given everything doesn't seem like a major stretch.
They don’t play football and hoops in the Ivy League anymore?
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/ ... er-report/

COVID-19 Not as bad as some anticipated may explain some of the reversals.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:10 pm

Close to $3B I believe.
does williams?

same with dartmouth.

the points grew from a thesis of ivy athletics potentially no longer getting preferred seats and thus no longer being competitive at or near the top of a sport.

so relatively speaking, yeah, similar to deciding they won't be competing for gridiron or hoops champs. bill bradley is gone.

stanford has tens of billions of dollars. you can read the reversals any way you wish. sports were not eliminated because they were putting stanford in the poorhouse. any inference of that from authorities is condescending.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:40 pm

Close to $3B I believe.
does williams?

same with dartmouth.

the points grew from a thesis of ivy athletics potentially no longer getting preferred seats and thus no longer being competitive at or near the top of a sport.

so relatively speaking, yeah, similar to deciding they won't be competing for gridiron or hoops champs. bill bradley is gone.

stanford has tens of billions of dollars. you can read the reversals any way you wish. sports were not eliminated because they were putting stanford in the poorhouse. any inference of that from authorities is condescending.
Wait, it wasn’t about the Ivy League dropping sports? As for Stanford, maybe all of their money was tied up in cash?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

they should move to bitcoin.
hey, everything could be exactly the same in 5 or 10 years. they could freeze or limit enrollment a la amherst and have a 10 year growth plan outside of jocks.

or.... a domino or 2 could fall. one or several people in a position to move things. and then a cascade. it's far from just a non-zero possibility now. imo as a tarot card reader.

plus think of the new dorms and health policy center that could be built on the stadium site.

to the ivies. it was a time.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Close to $3B I believe.
does williams?

same with dartmouth.

Condescending? There are some reasons to get rid of the sports.
- Putting Stanford in the poorhouse? First, most (all?) of the targeted sports were among the least expensive to support, even on net. But, far more telling in Stanford's case was their original announcement that NO AMOUNT of dedicated funding could save those programs. In light of that announcement, if the implication that those sports were sending Stanford to the poor house was intentional, then you can replace condescending with "deliberate lie".
- Poor on-field performance? I know for a fact that many colleges like to sponsor 'Olympic' sports. At Stanford,Olympic sports athletes actually become Olympians
- Extra-curricular embarrassment? I have heard of zero incidents, but I could be corrected. I cannot believe that the targeted sports have more incidents than those not targeted. The only reasonable exception would have been the Sailing team (where the coach did not pocket the bribes, but invested in gear, as I recall). Still, firing the coach or even killing the Sailing team might make sense. The rest do not.
- Academic embarrassment? Are you serious? I bet the targeted sports had among the highest numbers in the athletic department using Stanford's version of the AI, and a couple of them might have had higher numbers than the average Stanford student (starting with women's squash).
- Hate groups within the faculty or administration wanted to target the demographic. After you eliminate the impossible, what remains?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:59 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:00 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:13 pm
Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:52 pm
livelovelax wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:28 am Have helped a few kids get to IVY schools over the last 2-3 years and the players and parents are angry and if they had the chance to do over, they would have gone anywhere but the IVY.
That makes no sense. When my son was being recruited 10-11 years ago, the Ivy coaches (and others) stated that you are a college student that plays lacrosse and not a lacrosse player that attends college. They emphasized that a student should choose a college for the college and not for lacrosse or the coach. There is no guaranteed playing time and coaches leave, but you still need to attend and get your degree. Of the 40-60 players on a D1 roster (10-15 recruits a year), more than half do not play regularly. About 18 players see time in a game. The rest dress and watch on the bench or don't dress and are practice players. When you choose a college, you have to consider that you might get injured, or you might not be one of those 18 who play, or you may not like the coach after all. And when you graduate, the chances of making lacrosse a career are minuscule, but your degree stays with you for the rest of your life. So if a high school student who plays lacrosse is considering an Ivy school, my advice (and that of almost any other reasonable intelligent adult) would be "hell yes - consider it" and if that school is the best fit, by all means enroll. Any other advice is myopic. The Ivies will be fine.
True for the last 45 years since I enrolled at an Ivy, true when my son enrolled at another Ivy in the last decade...still true today and will be true tomorrow. There's a trade-off when you decide to 'go Ivy'.

Which doesn't mean that some parents and kids don't whine about the various ways Ivies aren't like "BigLaxU". The vast majority do not, but some do. It's true that there are a whole bunch of ways that the Ivy experience is different.

Sounds like livelovelax has been involved with a few such whiners.

That said, I do think the Ivies will 'suffer' a bit initially relative to "BigLaxU" schools due to the Covid dilemma creating extra eligibility years unlikely to be used at an Ivy...on the other hand, if my son today was being recruited, the prospect of early playing time at an Ivy might well be unusually high relative to another good school. Late bloomers, in particular, may benefit. But it would have little to do with the decision, regardless.
Yep ... pick the school first. Then if the lacrosse is a good fit, too ... terrific.

DocBarrister :)
To be fair, for most of the better players, the lacrosse aspect is essential just to have the option to pick an Ivy...otherwise, few would get through the door. Huge #'s of extremely qualified academically applicants get turned away every year.

Just like any other hopeful applicant to an Ivy, they need to have something that separates them substantially from the other 'qualified' candidates...for lacrosse players, it's almost always the lacrosse.

So, what happens is that if you're good enough to be on an Ivy coach's short list, (or multiple such) and your academic #'s support you as 'admissible', even better if your academic #'s contribute positively to the team AI, the coach lets you know...and then you can actually consider that choice among others.

And then yes, fit first, lax second, is good advice.
For instance, if you are considering Ivy, are you ok with being treated with no special preference as an athlete, no special tutors available to you, expecting professors to be annoyed if you miss classes due to trips for sports, etc? Are you ok with competing academically with super-bright students, having most of your classmates extremely well-prepared for the courses, having taken extra AP classes, math camps, etc in HS while you were grinding on the field or weight room?

Can't manage that?
Probably shouldn't 'go Ivy'.
There are plenty of lax players who excelled academically in HS and on the lax field and spent time both studying and practicing. Many of the non-Ivies are extremely competitive as well - including UVA, Duke, Georgetown, Hopkins, Villanova and many more.

Still, some questions need to asked for those who decide to attend college/lax U primarily for lax? Are you ok if "coach wonderful" who told you you were his favorite recruit leaves for another job? Are you ok staying 4 years if you are not good enough to play because there are 40 kids on the roster as good or better than you or because next year coach wonderful recruited a top 10 recruit at your position? If you blow out your knee on day 1 are you ok staying at Lax U for four years and getting your degree in X major upon graduation? What if you don't like your major and want to switch- does Lax U have other majors that are a fit for you? Will you enjoy your 4 years at Lax U if you are no longer on the team and your social life does not revolve around the lax team? If the answer is no to any of these questions, you are not choosing the right school (not that an Ivy would be better - but you have to pick a college where you will be happy without lax because there are no 4 year lax guarantees and no jobs in lacrosse after college - lacrosse is not your major).
I certainly agree, both with choosing a school that is the best fit and that lots of talented academically and athletically players go to terrific schools that are not Ivies.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Close to $3B I believe.
does williams?

well...My alma mater, Dartmouth, did try to drop a couple of sports this past year, then reversed the decision, fired the AD over the mismanagement of that decision.

Had they dropped them, they'd have still had double the number of D1 athletes of most "Big LaxU" schools, and maybe 5-10X the percentage of athletes to student body (and highest in Ivy League)...but nah, they don't support sports...

That said, there's discussion of how to shift that percentage a bit...the best way, IMO, are some increases in total student body, enabled by being creative in off campus educational opportunities and hybrid, digital classroom work.
Typical Lax Dad

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:53 am

Close to $3B I believe.
does williams?

same with dartmouth.

- Putting Stanford in the poorhouse? First, most (all?) of the targeted sports were among the least expensive to support, even on net. But, far more telling in Stanford's case was their original announcement that NO AMOUNT of dedicated funding could save those programs. In light of that announcement, if the implication that those sports were sending Stanford to the poor house was intentional, then you can replace condescending with "deliberate lie".
- Poor on-field performance? I know for a fact that many colleges like to sponsor 'Olympic' sports. At Stanford,Olympic sports athletes actually become Olympians
- Extra-curricular embarrassment? I have heard of zero incidents, but I could be corrected. I cannot believe that the targeted sports have more incidents than those not targeted. The only reasonable exception would have been the Sailing team (where the coach did not pocket the bribes, but invested in gear, as I recall). Still, firing the coach or even killing the Sailing team might make sense. The rest do not.
- Academic embarrassment? Are you serious? I bet the targeted sports had among the highest numbers in the athletic department using Stanford's version of the AI, and a couple of them might have had higher numbers than the average Stanford student (starting with women's squash).
- Hate groups within the faculty or administration wanted to target the demographic. After you eliminate the impossible, what remains?
An old article: https://web.stanford.edu/dept/news/stan ... 801sf.html

I didn’t know Stanford operated this way.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:04 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:53 am

Close to $3B I believe.
does williams?

same with dartmouth.

An old article: https://web.stanford.edu/dept/news/stan ... 801sf.html

I didn’t know Stanford operated this way.
Interesting. I'd assumed that Stanford D1 sports received at least some general funds.

The Ivy D1 programs are primarily supported by donations, but not 100%, indeed because they decided to not run commercialized football or basketball programs. They decided (40+ years ago) that would require too great a departure from the academic integration of the student body.

Club teams may receive a tiny bit of support, but are nearly entirely pay to play, with various intramural sports supported out of the general funds. All students have an opportunity to participate in sports and exercise through the intramural programs, etc.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Hmm… perhaps this should have it’s own thread?
And keep this thread to players in the portal
Typical Lax Dad

AreaLax wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:14 am Hmm… perhaps this should have it’s own thread?
The tangent is the portal will be flooded with Ivy players….but I agree.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:27 am
AreaLax wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:14 am Hmm… perhaps this should have it’s own thread?
The tangent is the portal will be flooded with Ivy players….but I agree.
mods, can we move these posts to new thread "transfer portal 2025"?
bananas

Post by bananas »

AGREE

Enjoy the updates on list and seeing were the transfers land. Hope for more insight posted by a coach in know.

Rutgers needs some help on offensive side. Some have been aggressive and others will be adding. Will be part of offseason for a few years at least.

Let's get to work BB !!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

bananas wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:10 pm

AGREE

Enjoy the updates on list and seeing were the transfers land. Hope for more insight posted by a coach in know.

Rutgers

…needs some help on offensive side. Some have been aggressive and others will be adding. Will be part of offseason for a few years at least.

Let's get to work BB !!
Khan !!!!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”