Bourbon

General Chatter
Kismet

Re: Bourbon

Post by Kismet »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/06/dini ... &smtyp=cur

"That $1,000 Bourbon You Bought May Be a Phony
Counterfeiting — filling luxury bottles with cheap liquor — has hit American whiskey hard as sky-high prices raise the payoff for scammers."
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

If you cannot taste the difference, maybe you should think twice before paying for it.

And on a lighter note, I bumped into this:
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:37 am If you cannot taste the difference, maybe you should think twice before paying for it.

And on a lighter note, I bumped into this:
My wife and I found this place in The Warehouse, an old feed and seed store in Simpsonville. The food is decent, but the bourbon menu has a regular and reserve page as well as flights served with fudge. The Warehouse is like an adult food court, with seafood/raw bar, a tap counter with 40 taps, pizza, Hawaiian food, made to order donuts and a taco stand.

https://www.zmenu.com/bourbon-street-bu ... line-menu/
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

get it to x wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:17 pm My wife and I found this place in The Warehouse, an old feed and seed store in Simpsonville. The food is decent, but the bourbon menu has a regular and reserve page as well as flights served with fudge. The Warehouse is like an adult food court, with seafood/raw bar, a tap counter with 40 taps, pizza, Hawaiian food, made to order donuts and a taco stand.

There is a nice local bourbon distillery there in greenville called Six ad Twenty. I've had their 5-grain, which includes a rice grain, I enjoyed it. They have some unique offerings in their whiskey line. Neat back story on their name.

I noticed when I visited their website there is an employee with the last name Minnick, I wondered if she is related to Fred Minnick....the ascot wearing bourbon 'aficionado' :lol: .
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 am
get it to x wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:17 pm My wife and I found this place in The Warehouse, an old feed and seed store in Simpsonville. The food is decent, but the bourbon menu has a regular and reserve page as well as flights served with fudge. The Warehouse is like an adult food court, with seafood/raw bar, a tap counter with 40 taps, pizza, Hawaiian food, made to order donuts and a taco stand.

There is a nice local bourbon distillery there in greenville called Six ad Twenty. I've had their 5-grain, which includes a rice grain, I enjoyed it. They have some unique offerings in their whiskey line. Neat back story on their name.

I noticed when I visited their website there is an employee with the last name Minnick, I wondered if she is related to Fred Minnick....the ascot wearing bourbon 'aficionado' :lol: .
I have their "Carolina Cream" in my fridge. Fred may be the worst dressed person to ever wear an ascot, if that makes sense.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/06/dini ... urbon.html

“ That $1,000 Bourbon You Bought May Be a Phony
Counterfeiting — filling luxury bottles with cheap liquor — has hit American whiskey hard as sky-high prices raise the payoff for scammers
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Don Julio Tequila Maker Diageo Is Running Low on Booze That Takes Years to Make

Owner of Crown Royal whisky faces shortages resulting from high demand during the pandemic

By Updated Jan. 27, 2022 12:59 pm ET

Diageo said it is raising prices in some countries, including the U.S.
Photo: Andrew Milligan/Zuma Press
LONDON—The world’s largest spirits maker is running low on some of its products.

Diageo PLC said soaring pandemic demand is depleting stocks of Crown Royal whisky, Lagavulin Scotch and Don Julio tequila. These bestselling brands can take months or years to age before hitting liquor-store shelves, making it hard to quickly increase production.

Diageo said it also hasn’t had enough bottles to package up Bulleit bourbon to meet demand. It is separately grappling with higher costs for aluminum and cereals that go into the booze-making process. Shipping and energy bills have climbed.

To make up, Diageo is raising prices in some markets, including the U.S., and boosting ad spending for lines that are still in plentiful supply, like Johnnie Walker.

“The constraint is simply on being able to meet very high demand,” said Chief Financial Officer Lavanya Chandrashekar, on a call with reporters after releasing half-year results that showed higher sales and profits. Amid the windfall, the company—whose brands also include Tanqueray gin, Smirnoff vodka and Guinness stout—said Thursday it was accelerating a share buyback program of £4.5 billion, equivalent to around $6 billion.

Chief Executive Ivan Menezes said Diageo has increased its inventory of maturing alcohol.
Photo: Jason Alden/Bloomberg News
Diageo shares gained more than 2% in London, despite the supply-line hurdles. Manufacturers across industries and regions have faced similar constraints. Pandemic-induced shortages and price jumps have occurred at times for basic commodities like toilet paper and lumber and for bigger ticket items like hot tubs and used cars.

Liquor companies like Diageo are in a particularly difficult bind since many of their brands rely on barrel aging—a process used to mature spirits like whiskey and some types of tequila before they can be sold. That makes it hard to meet sudden surges in demand, like the ones that liquor makers have faced amid the pandemic. While bars and restaurants have been closed off and on for the last two years, in the U.S. spirit sales at groceries, liquor stores and online have ballooned.

The pandemic has whipsawed the drinks industry in other ways, triggering changes in drinkers’ behavior and regulations over how alcohol is sold. Home drinking increased, driving consumers to buy their booze at groceries and liquor stores, which were deemed essential services in many locales. Some states loosened laws on takeout booze orders from restaurants and online alcohol sales.

Many drinkers also started splurging on more expensive brands. Executives have said consumers who couldn’t spend on concerts, travel or watching live sports instead bought upscale spirits to drink at home. Tequila has been a big seller—with Americans experimenting drinking it at home in more ways, including on the rocks, with soda and in cocktails apart from margaritas.

Despite the supply-chain constraints, U.S. sales of Crown Royal rose 12% in the second half of last year, compared with a year earlier, Diageo said, while its tequila sales jumped 61%. Overall, Diageo’s net spirits sales in the U.S. grew 15% on an organic basis, which strips out currency movements.

In its tequila lineup, the Don Julio 1942 line is aged for a minimum of 2½ years, while the Anejo line is barrel-aged for 18 months. The Anejo line of Diageo’s Casamigos-branded tequila takes 14 months.

Diageo makes Crown Royal whisky by blending various whiskies aged in new or reused charred oak barrels. The shortage of aged Crown Royal has eaten into Diageo’s leading market-share position in the Canadian whisky category over the last six months.

Diageo, the world’s biggest distiller of scotch, said U.S. single-malt scotch sales fell 5% in the half, compared with a year earlier, because of a lack of enough aged Lagavulin, a bestselling brand. Overall U.S. scotch sales rose 11%.

Diageo Chief Executive Ivan Menezes said the company has increased its inventory of maturing alcohol to meet forecasts for future demand.

“We continuously evaluate what level of liquid to be laying down across the portfolio on scotch, on Canadian whisky, on American whiskey and now on the aged variant of tequila,” he said.

The Don Julio 1942 line of tequila is aged for a minimum of 2½ years.
Photo: Chris Pizzello/Associated Press
Meanwhile, Diageo is allocating more of its marketing dollars to brands that aren’t suffering from similar constraints, like Johnnie Walker blended scotch. The ad spending is an attempt to “shape demand and move consumers to where we have less or no constraints on aged liquid,” Ms. Chandrashekar said. Diageo recently launched a new TV and online “Keep Walking” ad campaign for its biggest scotch brand.

The shortage of bespoke glass bottles to package Bulleit bourbon hit Diageo’s market share of the U.S. whiskey category. Bulleit’s U.S. organic net sales dropped 19% in the period. Ms. Chandrashekar said she thinks the issue is temporary and that Diageo has already brought on board new suppliers in North America, to secure supply for other brands, increasing glass capacity by almost 25%.

Diageo said net profit rose to £1.97 billion for the six months to Dec. 31 from £1.58 billion a year earlier. Net sales rose 20% on an organic basis to £7.96 billion.

The aging requirements for many of its products aren’t all bad in the current climate, Ms. Chandrashekar said. It can provide a “natural hedge” in times of high inflation. A barrel of liquor ready today might have aged for years, which means Diageo already absorbed or passed on much of the cost over several years and doesn’t have to pass on current higher costs to customers right away.

“A large percentage of what we’re selling today, we actually laid down the liquid seven years ago, more than a decade ago, in many cases,” said Ms. Chandrashekar, citing Johnnie Walker as an example.

Diageo said it has also been mitigating the impact of inflation by raising prices on some brands in the U.S., Nigeria and Turkey.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

man down.... :lol:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Bart wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:59 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:12 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm Drink to your tastes, not the label.

Trust your tastebuds!

There is a lot of good stuff out there. And for the good or bad, much reputation is marketing.
This, x 100!

That's the wonderful thing....if you're into whiskey? There are many, many beautiful whiskies out there that are criminally underrated, inexpensive, and delicious on the American market. It's about what YOU like
Care to educate the less educated here?
Not that I know a lot about bourbon, but you would be missing a lot of good bourbon if you just went by label. For example, I just bought a bottle of Chattanooga 91 proof. They just started making their own distillate and for two year old whiskey it is quite good, even compared to other established labels in the $40 range. That being said, I can say I like everything I've had from Wild Turkey and most of it is widely available.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

get it to x wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:02 pm Not that I know a lot about bourbon, but you would be missing a lot of good bourbon if you just went by label. For example, I just bought a bottle of Chattanooga 91 proof. They just started making their own distillate and for two year old whiskey it is quite good, even compared to other established labels in the $40 range. That being said, I can say I like everything I've had from Wild Turkey and most of it is widely available.
That Chattanooga Islay sounds quite appealing, considering I enjoy Laphroaig and Ardbeg Scotch. Stinks no retailers in DC, MD, or VA.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:54 am man down.... :lol:

:lol: I JUST bought my brother a Boos Block as one of his wedding gifts.

What the F are the odds on that??

Oh, and cheers! Hope you enjoyed it!
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:52 pm
get it to x wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:02 pm Not that I know a lot about bourbon, but you would be missing a lot of good bourbon if you just went by label. For example, I just bought a bottle of Chattanooga 91 proof. They just started making their own distillate and for two year old whiskey it is quite good, even compared to other established labels in the $40 range. That being said, I can say I like everything I've had from Wild Turkey and most of it is widely available.
That Chattanooga Islay sounds quite appealing, considering I enjoy Laphroaig and Ardbeg Scotch. Stinks no retailers in DC, MD, or VA.
You can't go wrong with either distillery.

Wild Turkey, imho, is THE most overlooked mass produced Bourbon. I'll never understand what makes stuff go viral, and what doesn't.....
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

a fan wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:02 pm

Wild Turkey, imho, is THE most overlooked mass produced Bourbon. I'll never understand what makes stuff go viral, and what doesn't.....
After Fred Minnick named the Russell's Reserve 13 Year Old the "Best Whiskey of 2021" it is now anywhere between $300-$1,000 on the secondary market. MSRP was $70. Hopefully it doesn't bleed down into the rest of the Wild Turkey line. I like the 10 year old, 90 proof Russell's as my #1 sipper/nightcap.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

get it to x wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:13 am
a fan wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:02 pm

After Fred Minnick named the Russell's Reserve 13 Year Old the "Best Whiskey of 2021" it is now anywhere between $300-$1,000 on the secondary market. MSRP was $70. Hopefully it doesn't bleed down into the rest of the Wild Turkey line. I like the 10 year old, 90 proof Russell's as my #1 sipper/nightcap.
It definitely has gone up. I was getting it in the upper 20’s for quite some time, even low 20’s at the NEX, now you can’t seem to find it for under $36 ish.

Even something like Johnny Drum has crept up in the low 30’s.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Buddy gave me a couple dram sample of JD Coy Hill. I believe it’s roughly ~140 proof. Quite sweet and not as hot as I’d had expected, little burn. Very similar to the SiB Barrel proof.
~Livy
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:41 pm Buddy gave me a couple dram sample of JD Coy Hill. I believe it’s roughly ~140 proof. Quite sweet and not as hot as I’d had expected, little burn. Very similar to the SiB Barrel proof.
The JD products above Old No 7 are getting good reviews. Brown Forman is on my bad list because they got rid of Early Times BIB. Not sure what kind of whisky Sazerac is putting in there but it went from a decent, modestly priced sipper to cocktail only. I will not be buying any more after this bottle. If you can find the good ET, it has a black plastic cap.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

get it to x wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:05 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:41 pm Buddy gave me a couple dram sample of JD Coy Hill. I believe it’s roughly ~140 proof. Quite sweet and not as hot as I’d had expected, little burn. Very similar to the SiB Barrel proof.
The JD products above Old No 7 are getting good reviews. Brown Forman is on my bad list because they got rid of Early Times BIB. Not sure what kind of whisky Sazerac is putting in there but it went from a decent, modestly priced sipper to cocktail only. I will not be buying any more after this bottle. If you can find the good ET, it has a black plastic cap.
Sazerac is rye whiskey not bourbon, no?
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Kismet wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:16 am
Sazerac is a distiller of many whiskeys, including the Buffalo Trace line. Also Rye, Cognac, Vodka and Southern Comfort.

https://www.sazerac.com/our-brands/sazerac-brands.html
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

get it to x wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:27 am
Kismet wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:16 am
Sazerac is a distiller of many whiskeys, including the Buffalo Trace line. Also Rye, Cognac, Vodka and Southern Comfort.

https://www.sazerac.com/our-brands/sazerac-brands.html
Got it. I have tried their rye and its pretty good
I've tried this bourbon from Memphis. Very good.
https://www.bluenotebourbon.com/our-lineup
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I'm planning on being in the Charlottesville, VA area in April. Are there any whiskey bars or distilleries in that area that are must do's? Or a particular bottle I should bring home?

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”