Holy Cross

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HCDC

Re: Holy Cross

Post by HCDC »

No. Like I said above, he was widely respected.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bison137 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:44 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:10 pm There was no reason to force Morrisey out. That 7-7 team was his kids.

There was a huge reason to fire Morrissey. HC had no choice.
I trust you’re right and stand corrected. Only know him superficially personally but was a big fan in general and thought he had potential to be a high level D1 HC at some point. Too bad.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sllaxdad wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:05 pm Great discussion. From personal knowledge and experience, as a parent of a player who played at HC for coach Burke, he is a terrific person, coach and mentor -- same as Coach Lat -- who unfortunately ran into a tough stretch while he was trying to elevate the program.

The kids performed well in the classroom (most qualified for all PL academic which requires an in season gpa of 3.2 -- which is not an easy target at HC), volunteered in the community (top one or two lax teams in the COUNTRY), graduated, donated (2nd highest on campus giving in terms of $ and % of participation) and were true men for others. they were having success on the field both in terms of wins within the PL and against the peer schools in New England (regularly beating Harvard/Brown and right behind PC). For a program that is not fully funded and plays a majority of the outdoor season in less than optimal weather conditions, the Coaches are attracting talented players and this past year had multiple MLL and PLL draft picks (whatever that means) and a long poll who will be an All American candidate.

By any measure, Coach Burke had the program moving in the right direction, properly and within the standards of the College. He will land on his feet and when he does, that school will have gained. HC truly has lost a good person.

Cheers.
I don’t see this as an indictment of Burke from a output and effort perspective. Many are piqued by the limited info presented in the IL piece because we’re all inherently bloodthirsty heathens (myself included). Hopefully there’s an innocent explanation behind that but it leaves room for the imagination.

But most here it seems, including myself, are wondering about the ath dept and institutional commitment to the program given the relatively high HC turnover for a while for what it seems like in general (Morrisey potential just cause aside) is no reason here.

You had Pascal from 05-11, then Morrisey from 11-14 (mid season, replacement Hager is a bart grad), then Lattimore from 15-18 then Burke last two years and now he’s gone. That’s a lot
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Terry Foy twitter of IL

In the wake of last Friday’s news, I’m told that athletic administrators for @HCrossMLAX have spoken to at least four current DI MLAX assistant coaches, suggesting that they may hire a new head coach prior to the 2021 season.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I hope they hire Coach Lynch.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

Thompson from AC should of chilled around
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

isaacwright22 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:18 pm Thompson from AC should of chilled around
Assuming you mean Jon Thompson. Too much baggage after how his exit from AC went. I'm surprise AF hired him as their OC with that and after the scandal they had just a few years ago. Not to mention they are a service academy.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

The Thompson situation was very strange. If you ever heard him speak about creating his culture at Amherst (Listen to the Jamie Munro podcast if you can stomach the arrogance) you would think he created the ultimate team atmosphere. I guess perception was more important than reality...but if you speak to his players and parents they really respected him and what he built. I'm sure the truth is in the middle somewhere..
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:50 pm The Thompson situation was very strange. If you ever heard him speak about creating his culture at Amherst (Listen to the Jamie Munro podcast if you can stomach the arrogance) you would think he created the ultimate team atmosphere. I guess perception was more important than reality...but if you speak to his players and parents they really respected him and what he built. I'm sure the truth is in the middle somewhere..
Pressure from school admins and campus which ultimately did it. Biddy wanted to maintain it's "pc" image and firing i guess was the only option in her mind. It's happened at multiple schools but the coach gets thrown under the bus when the team messes up.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:50 pm The Thompson situation was very strange. If you ever heard him speak about creating his culture at Amherst (Listen to the Jamie Munro podcast if you can stomach the arrogance) you would think he created the ultimate team atmosphere. I guess perception was more important than reality...but if you speak to his players and parents they really respected him and what he built. I'm sure the truth is in the middle somewhere..
Never heard a bad things about him and know people who played under him. But after that situation and the one that preceded it, schools will be hesitant to hire for HC.
Flyersfan

Post by Flyersfan »

Sllaxdad wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:05 pm Great discussion. From personal knowledge and experience, as a parent of a player who played at HC for coach Burke, he is a terrific person, coach and mentor -- same as Coach Lat -- who unfortunately ran into a tough stretch while he was trying to elevate the program.

The kids performed well in the classroom (most qualified for all PL academic which requires an in season gpa of 3.2 -- which is not an easy target at HC), volunteered in the community (top one or two lax teams in the COUNTRY), graduated, donated (2nd highest on campus giving in terms of $ and % of participation) and were true men for others. they were having success on the field both in terms of wins within the PL and against the peer schools in New England (regularly beating Harvard/Brown and right behind PC). For a program that is not fully funded and plays a majority of the outdoor season in less than optimal weather conditions, the Coaches are attracting talented players and this past year had multiple MLL and PLL draft picks (whatever that means) and a long poll who will be an All American candidate.

By any measure, Coach Burke had the program moving in the right direction, properly and within the standards of the College. He will land on his feet and when he does, that school will have gained. HC truly has lost a good person.

Cheers.
As a parent of a recent player / graduate I am truly upset at losing Coach Burke . I know both him and his family and they/ him are the kind of people we want our players around . While the current coaching staff is very good ; I just think we took a giant step backwards. Coach Burke had the team going the right way ; winning; team morale was never higher, (not so much previously) ; academics was good ; First ever First Team Patriot League player ; playoffs ; Hopefully they will get some consistency up on the Hill
lilax

Post by lilax »

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RT @Inside_Lacrosse: Breaking @TerpsMLax Assistant @CoachRepp To Be @HCrossMLAX Next Head Coach (via @TerenceFoy) https://t.co/jhV169sXPU
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HCDC

Post by HCDC »

That was fast.

Seems like a great hire.

https://goholycross.com/news/2021/1/22/ ... coach.aspx
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

HCDC wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:27 pm That was fast.

Seems like a great hire.

https://goholycross.com/news/2021/1/22/ ... coach.aspx
+1
Certainly was fast (wasted no time putting his bio on the 2021 team roster / coaches page) and is a great hire indeed! Kudos to Coach Reppert and to Holy Cross' leadership landing him - well done.
https://goholycross.com/sports/mens-lac ... ppert/1032

J.L. Reppert is in his first season as the head men’s lacrosse coach at the College of the Holy Cross in 2021. He joined the Crusaders after spending the previous six years as an assistant coach and offensive coordinator at the University of Maryland.

Over the last six seasons, Reppert helped lead the Terrapins to four NCAA Final Fours, four Big Ten regular season titles, two Big Ten Tournament championships and three appearances in the NCAA championship game, including the 2017 national championship. He turned Maryland’s offense into one of the top units in the nation, ranking in the top 20 in the country in scoring offense in each of the last four years.

During his time at Maryland, Reppert developed 16 All-Americans and nine Major League Lacrosse draft selections, while coaching Maryland’s first-ever Tewaaraton Award winner in Matt Rambo (2017). Reppert also helped guide the careers of two other Tewaaraton finalists in Connor Kelly (2018) and Jared Bernhardt (2019).

In 2020, Reppert’s offense ranked fourth in the nation in assists per game (10.0), ninth in points per game (25.7) and 10th in scoring (15.7), while three of his players, Bernhardt, Logan Wisnauskas and Anthony DeMaio, earned All-America honors. The Terrapins posted a 5-1 overall record and were ranked No. 4 in the nation before the season ended prematurely due to COVID-19.

During the 2019 campaign, Bernhardt and Wisnauskas became the first Terrapin duo to both score over 70 points in the same season under Reppert’s tutelage. The Terrapins also had one of the nation’s most efficient offenses, ranking third in shooting percentage (35.1%). Maryland finished the season with an overall mark of 12-5 and advanced to the NCAA quarterfinals.

In 2018, Reppert’s offense scored 210 total goals, the ninth-most in school history, led by Kelly with 82 total points. The Terrapins went 14-4 overall, won the Big Ten regular season title and advanced to the NCAA Final Four.

Reppert helped Maryland win the 2017 national championship with an overall record of 16-3, in addition to claiming the Big Ten regular season and tournament titles. The Terrapins’ offense ranked 10th in the nation with an average of 12.5 goals per game, with Rambo winning the Tewaaraton Award.

During the 2016 season, Reppert’s offense featured three 50-point scorers and was particularly potent in the postseason when it averaged 14 goals per game. Maryland went 17-3 overall, won the Big Ten regular season and tournament championships and finished the year as the NCAA runner-up.

In Reppert’s first season with the Terrapins in 2015, the offense ranked second in the nation with just 10.7 turnovers per game. Maryland posted an overall mark of 15-4 and captured the Big Ten regular season title, in addition to advancing to the NCAA championship game.

Prior to his time at Maryland, Reppert served as an assistant coach at Navy for three seasons from 2012-2014. Reppert helped improve Navy’s shooting percentage immensely, jumping from 28th in the nation (.280) to 13th (.311) over the course of his first season in Annapolis.

Under Reppert’s tutelage, Midshipmen Tucker Hull and Sam Jones became only the fourth set of classmates in Navy history to reach 100 points. Jones finished his career with 144 points, while Hull ended his career with 135. The 279 points combined are the most ever for a pair of graduating classmates at Navy.

Before returning to Navy, where he was a four-year starter at attack for the lacrosse team from 1996-1999, Reppert was the senior assistant coach and offensive coordinator at Washington College in 2011. He was also an assistant coach at Harvard during the 2009 season, when the Crimson won eight games for their most victories since 2002, including a 9-6 win at No. 5 Duke to open the season. The Crimson earned five All-Ivy League selections and garnered seven nods to the NEILA All-New England team.

During his senior year at Navy, Reppert helped lead the Midshipmen to a berth in the 1999 NCAA Tournament. He was voted team captain by his peers as a senior and was also the recipient of the Vice Adm. E.C. Waller Award, which is presented to a Navy lacrosse player for spirit, morale and dedication to the program.

Reppert graduated from the Naval Academy with honors in 1999, earning a bachelor’s degree in political science, and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps. He went on to graduate from the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif., in 2004 as a Conrad Scholar, earning his master’s degree in finance.

From 2000-2003, Reppert was stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar as a finance officer. He was promoted to captain in 2004 and began working in the programs and resources department as a congressional liaison. After serving nine years in the Marine Corps and achieving the rank of captain, Reppert left the corps to begin his coaching career.

Along the way, Reppert held high school assistant coaching jobs at St. Albans (D.C.), Episcopal (Va.), Gonzaga (D.C.), Robert Louis Stevenson (Calif.) and Poway (Calif.). He has also served as the manager of Champions Field House in Rockville, Md., and as founder and partner in the Breakout Lacrosse Company, based in Washington, D.C.

Reppert comes from a lacrosse family, with his father, Joseph, being a well-respected high school and college official for 35 years. In addition, his brother, Brad, played at Towson, while his sister, Sarah, played at Auburn.

Reppert and his wife, Jill, have one son (Liam).
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Been lucky to see the MD lacrosse program up close for the past few years now and can tell you that Rep is about as good as they come in every aspect. Great person, players really like him, great coaching chops, and he's learned how to run a program under some of the best in the game. Never heard anything about Rep on the recruiting side of things, but it's hard imagine that he wasn't involved in landing some of the best offensive players in the nation that have come through Maryland during his time there. When you see that list of high schools he worked at while serving in the Marines, those are schools that are not only phenomenal HS programs but also the kinds of schools that fit Holy Cross's academic profile. He's probably coming in with really good relationships with coaches from elite high school and club programs. Great hire for you all.
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

He'll be coming back to visit Navy, where HC has played well lately. Will add to a growing PL rivalry.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Coach Reppert is a great guy. Awesome hire for Holy Cross IMO
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Not sure ever saw this type of content out of HC: https://twitter.com/hcrossmlax/status/1 ... 46497?s=21
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:30 am Coach Reppert is a great guy. Awesome hire for Holy Cross IMO
+1

Love this hire for HC. JL and Coach Lynch are not that far removed from working together when Lynch was at NAPS. The players at HC are extremely fortunate to have these two guys leading and mentoring them.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”