Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by oldbartman »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:12 pm
RumorMill wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:08 pm To add some diversity to this thread, where does Gallagher go? Is there a top ten/twenty non-ivy team that needs/wants a top ten fogo? And makes sense for him.
Rumor is Michigan
Rumor is true.. Gallagher is going to Michigan for graduate school and lacrosse.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:27 pm The chance to play with his brother for three years and pay in-state tuition when going from a four to five-year plan, along with the fact that it was once his top choice, makes Maryland look like the favorite imo.
That's a fair opinion. But it's just an opinion. His dad was a Terp legend when he committed to Yale and when his brother committed to Yale. It seems more like the kids are free to make their decisions independently. As a Terp fan, it would be great to see both brothers there, but I dont see how anyone can say all signs point to BJ going there when he hasn't indicated anything, at least publicly.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:11 pm Very good piece. I can't look into the list much because the stupid page continually refreshes
Yeah, that part is super annoying. Makes an otherwise excellent project really cumbersome to use.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:11 pm was going to look at C- and below, Jax is in that group and basically all of DII. And of course this was written prior to the current situation which I would assume will notch everyone down one or more "grades"
Here's a listing of all the schools graded C- or D that have NCAA men's lacrosse programs. I can't guarantee I didn't miss anybody, and it looks like some schools weren't included in the ranking for whatever reason. Bear in mind again that this is only the private schools.

C-minus

D1: St. Bonaventure, Merrimack, Drexel, Hartford, Siena

D2: Molloy, Lynn, St. Michael's, Roberts Wesleyan, Emmanuel (Ga.), Barton, Seton Hill, NYIT, Mars Hill, Indianapolis, Chowan, Dominican (NY)

D3: Ferrum, Hartwick, Virginia Wesleyan, Baldwin Wallace, Elmhurst, Emmanuel (Mass.), North Central (Minn.), Arcadia, Cabrini, Guilford, Aurora, New England College, Husson, Albright, Capital, Hood, Stevenson, Johnson & Wales (RI), Wilmington (Ohio), Alvernia, RPI, Wilkes, Bethany, William Peace, Fontbonne, Clarkson

D

D1: Canisius, Detroit Mercy, Bellarmine, Robert Morris, Mount St. Mary's

D2: St. Leo, Pace, Felician, Franklin Pierce, Mercyhurst, Tusculum, Mount Olive, Newberry, American International, Shorter, St. Rose, Alderson Broaddus, Chestnut Hill, Florida Tech

D3: Nichols, Birmingham-Southern, La Roche, Medaille, Huntingdon, Manhattanville, Mount St. Vincent, Keystone, Delaware Valley, Methodist, Becker, Centenary, Western New England, Cazenovia, Eastern, Averett, Immaculata, Thomas, Anna Maria, Thiel, Hilbert, Brevard, Drew, Concordia-Chicago, Chatham, St. Joseph's (NY), St. Joseph's (Me.), Marywood, Regis (Mass.), Keuka, Benedictine (Il.), Pfeiffer

Sub-1.0 (also D, but I'm breaking these out separately)

D1: Jacksonville

D2: Rockhurst, Lake Erie, Lenoir-Rhyne, Belmont Abbey, Wheeling

D3: Utica, Wesley, Widener, Elmira, Adrian
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Homer wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:58 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:11 pm Very good piece. I can't look into the list much because the stupid page continually refreshes
Yeah, that part is super annoying. Makes an otherwise excellent project really cumbersome to use.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:11 pm was going to look at C- and below, Jax is in that group and basically all of DII. And of course this was written prior to the current situation which I would assume will notch everyone down one or more "grades"
Here's a listing of all the schools graded C- or D that have NCAA men's lacrosse programs. I can't guarantee I didn't miss anybody, and it looks like some schools weren't included in the ranking for whatever reason. Bear in mind again that this is only the private schools.

C-minus

D2: Molloy, Lynn, St. Michael's, Roberts Wesleyan, Emmanuel (Ga.), Barton, Seton Hill, NYIT, Mars Hill, Indianapolis, Chowan, Dominican (NY)

D3: Ferrum, Hartwick, Virginia Wesleyan, Baldwin Wallace, Elmhurst, Emmanuel (Mass.), North Central (Minn.), Arcadia, Cabrini, Guilford, Aurora, New England College, Husson, Albright, Capital, Hood, Stevenson, Johnson & Wales (RI), Wilmington (Ohio), Alvernia, RPI, Wilkes, Bethany, William Peace, Fontbonne, Clarkson

D

D2: St. Leo, Pace, Felician, Franklin Pierce, Mercyhurst, Tusculum, Mount Olive, Newberry, American International, Shorter, St. Rose, Alderson Broaddus, Chestnut Hill, Florida Tech

D3: Nichols, Birmingham-Southern, La Roche, Medaille, Huntingdon, Manhattanville, Mount St. Vincent, Keystone, Delaware Valley, Methodist, Becker, Centenary, Western New England, Cazenovia, Eastern, Averett, Immaculata, Thomas, Anna Maria, Thiel, Hilbert, Brevard, Drew, Concordia-Chicago, Chatham, St. Joseph's (NY), St. Joseph's (Me.), Marywood, Regis (Mass.), Keuka, Benedictine (Il.), Pfeiffer

Drexel has more than enough in their endowment, they were a few years away from $1 billion before this market FUBAR, to survive any consolidation, financial distress.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thanks for that, appreciate the efforts.

So I hope not, but would it be shocking if 2-3 of the group is DI there’s from C- down start dropping sports or worse even close their doors? My concern would start obviously w Jax and have been to Bellarmine and that’s a commuter college, wouldn’t be surprised there. Potentially 1-2 more. Kind of surprised that Drexel is on the list but don’t pretend to know Jack about the institution behind we did well w one transfwr, Mark Williamson, among w Raymond’s ties there
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Homer

Post by Homer »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:42 am Thanks for that, appreciate the efforts.
No problem.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:42 am So I hope not, but would it be shocking if 2-3 of the group is DI there’s from C- down start dropping sports or worse even close their doors?
It would not be shocking at all. I don't get the sense people are really grasping what the magnitude of the fallout from this is likely to be.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:42 am Kind of surprised that Drexel is on the list but don’t pretend to know Jack about the institution
So this is a reply to both you and 10Stone5:
10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:31 am Drexel has more than enough in their endowment, they were a few years away from $1 billion before this market FUBAR, to survive any consolidation, financial distress.
Endowment is only 15% of the formula used in the Forbes study. Everything else is some variation on, or input to, cash flow. If you're looking mainly at colleges with large endowments, that's crazy. If your goal is looking at the tier of schools where endowment size rounds down to "not enough" and figuring out which ones have sustainable cash flow and which ones don't, it makes sense.

One of the things Forbes puts a heavy weight on, given that context, is yield (i.e., % of admitted students who choose your school). That's 10% of the formula. Yield matters because if it's low, that's a strong sign that the school is in the position of having to massively discount their sticker price to get people to enroll. Forbes in their article explaining their methodology specifically identifies Drexel as a school in a bad position on this metric.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Homer wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:20 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:42 am Thanks for that, appreciate the efforts.
No problem.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:42 am So I hope not, but would it be shocking if 2-3 of the group is DI there’s from C- down start dropping sports or worse even close their doors?
It would not be shocking at all. I don't get the sense people are really grasping what the magnitude of the fallout from this is likely to be.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:42 am Kind of surprised that Drexel is on the list but don’t pretend to know Jack about the institution

So this is a reply to both you and 10Stone5:

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:31 am Drexel has more than enough in their endowment, they were a few years away from $1 billion before this market FUBAR, to survive any consolidation, financial distress.

Endowment is only 15% of the formula used in the Forbes study. Everything else is some variation on, or input to, cash flow. If you're looking mainly at colleges with large endowments, that's crazy. If your goal is looking at the tier of schools where endowment size rounds down to "not enough" and figuring out which ones have sustainable cash flow and which ones don't, it makes sense.

One of the things Forbes puts a heavy weight on, given that context, is yield (i.e., % of admitted students who choose your school). That's 10% of the formula. Yield matters because if it's low, that's a strong sign that the school is in the position of having to massively discount their sticker price to get people to enroll. Forbes in their article explaining their methodology specifically identifies Drexel as a school in a bad position on this metric.
No.
I’m not suggesting that.
Still, it is an important piece for this particular exercise.
Drexel has already been down this road.
The early to mid-80s, came close, to shutting down, to a severe downsizing, hard to say for sure.
The main reason, lack of a sizable endowment, no fallback, so that what they’ve concentrated on, building endowment(s).
Top heavy, administratively, sure.
Offer one to many majors, yes, same as just about any other school on that list.
They’ll use this as an opportunity to consolidate some operations, which is fine.
Are they in financial dire straits ?
I don’t think so.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:29 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:27 pm The chance to play with his brother for three years and pay in-state tuition when going from a four to five-year plan, along with the fact that it was once his top choice, makes Maryland look like the favorite imo.
That's a fair opinion. But it's just an opinion. His dad was a Terp legend when he committed to Yale and when his brother committed to Yale. It seems more like the kids are free to make their decisions independently. As a Terp fan, it would be great to see both brothers there, but I dont see how anyone can say all signs point to BJ going there when he hasn't indicated anything, at least publicly.
Yeah, I'm just spitballin and having playing amateur detective while there's nothing to do. He could be transferring to Gettysburg for all I know. MD just seemed to make sense, whereas other ivies and Duke (already loaded with poles in his class) don't. Though I just checked out his senior highlights and he kind of looks perfect for UVA, so...
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

So I hope not, but would it be shocking if 2-3 of the group is DI there’s from C- down start dropping sports or worse even close their doors? My concern would start obviously w Jax and have been to Bellarmine and that’s a commuter college, wouldn’t be surprised there. Potentially 1-2 more. Kind of surprised that Drexel is on the list but don’t pretend to know Jack about the institution behind we did well w one transfwr, Mark Williamson, among w Raymond’s ties there
Jacksonville will be worth monitoring. In December, they cited costs when they dropped their non scholarship Pioneer League football program. The lacrosse programs get great booster support, having just completed a $1.8M lacrosse-only facility. But obviously that’s irrelevant if the institution‘s viability as a whole is in jeopardy.
laxknight

Post by laxknight »

Have any other ivy seniors entered the portal? (i.e Teat, Ierlan, Morrill, Goss, Fletcher, Goldner)
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

redfoxalum wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:01 am

Jacksonville will be worth monitoring. In December, they cited costs when they dropped their non scholarship Pioneer League football program. The lacrosse programs get great booster support, having just completed a $1.8M lacrosse-only facility. But obviously that’s irrelevant if the institution‘s viability as a whole is in jeopardy.
One of Jacksonville's biggest issues with Florida parents is they are not considered top-tier academically. That might not be fair but that's the perception of parents.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

laxknight wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:48 pm Have any other ivy seniors entered the portal? (i.e Teat, Ierlan, Morrill, Goss, Fletcher, Goldner)
Goldner has an option to return. I have not heard anything about Brown and Cornell Spring athletes.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

laxknight wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:48 pm Have any other ivy seniors entered the portal? (i.e Teat, Ierlan, Morrill, Goss, Fletcher, Goldner)
I read somewhere that Irelan has said if he ever plays college lacrosse again, it would only be for Yale. Don't think he's looking to play that 5th year.
smoova

Post by smoova »

LRoggy wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:17 pm One of Jacksonville's biggest issues with Florida parents is they are not considered top-tier academically. That might not be fair but that's the perception of parents.
It's not just Florida parents ...
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Homer wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:58 pm

C-minus

D

Last year's DII and DIII National Champs both have C- grades, also saw former fairly recent DIII national champ Stevenson on that list.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That’s what I was wondering w respect to Gallagher or any others who were already on a second school. Their decision but how good of it is an idea to go to a third place. Someone will argue that for some it will be for a second degree which adds value but it’s a still a third school in 3-4yrs in a different place with a different culture and the #1 reason for it would be here lacrosse and masters degree secondary (which is better than making a lacrosse decision for undergrad over place, but maybe not as easy as we discuss it here)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
harflax

Post by harflax »

LRoggy wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:17 pm
redfoxalum wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:01 am

One of Jacksonville's biggest issues with Florida parents is they are not considered top-tier academically. That might not be fair but that's the perception of parents.
With all due respect Jacksonville has nice weather but in regards to aesthetics may be the worst college campus I have ever been on. I know there lacrosse programs have done well but the campus is downright depressing.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

I wonder if there is a deep pocket donor out there who could convince players to take their extra year at a Florida school in 2021?

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/202 ... peed-bump/
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:12 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:57 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:48 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:20 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:15 pm BJ Burlace in the portal?
Wondering if that is a legit transfer request or just shopping. He didn't see any time at Yale this year.
His younger brother was a commit to Yale but decommitted the next day
Brother flipped to Maryland and he was a Maryland commit at first as well. Plus their dad was a Terp great. All signs point to that being where he’s going to wind up too.
No disrespect, but what signs are you talking about? He de-committed from Maryland 2 years ago.
He goes into the portal, and then two days later his brother decommits from Yale and flips to Maryland, the same school he at one point planned on attending and their dad played at? That seems to me to be a good indication that's where he's going. Just because he de-committed once doesn't mean he won't go there now.
TX Twitter

Former @YaleLacrosse LSM and @ILPreps' No. 6 freshman BJ Burlace tells me that he'll be transferring to in-state @TerpsMLax for next season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”