COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:31 am
8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:35 am We have been playing club lacrosse all summer here in PA, attending tournaments in NJ, PA, MD and have not had 1 single issue.
I’m glad your experience has been good.

I am aware, however, of quite a number of issues. Kids, even coaches, getting the virus, teams (not entire clubs) having to pull out of tournaments or play days due to the virus. Teams (again, not entire clubs) having to quarantine.

Lots of tournaments were canceled. Lots of clubs pulled out of tourneys. Reschedulings across the board.

I don’t know this for a fact, but it seems that New York clubs’ travel has been restricted.

The tryouts for the Underclass LI and Upstate UA teams have been postponed, apparently indefinitely. The underclass tournament itself, has been broken into four regional events, one of which has yet to be scheduled.
NJ, am curious as to the severity of the symptoms - where any of the kids/coaches hospitalized? where any of the kids/coaches asymptomatic where they didn't know they were infected until they got back test results?

Three of my daughter's friends have had the virus - not from lacrosse - and had symptoms that honestly were milder than a cold and lasted 2 or 3 days.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:55 am NY times? :roll: :roll:

Johns Hopkins just went online - Univ of MD still on schedule for in person
The Times story is just reporting, and about high schools. These are considerably more controlled. I don’t have any skin in the game. It just sounds like a lot of risk.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Carroll81 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:14 pm 6. We know that younger people are as susceptible, but do not have the same fatality that older people do.
It's also worth noting that collegiate athletes are, in general, significantly healthier than the average person and even than their peers. For as much as we're told to wear masks, wash hands, and socially distance (all good advice), the best defense against illness (both infection and significant adverse effects) is still being healthy to begin with. The following conditions are known to increase risk of severe illness from Covid: cancer, chronic kidney disease, COPD, obesity, serious heart conditions (heart failure, cardiomyopathy, etc.), type 2 diabetes, sickle cell. You don't see too many college athletes running around with those conditions, with the possible exception of sickle cell. People with severe asthma and type 1 diabetes may be at higher risk, and some athletes do fall into those categories, and their risk in particular should be mitigated. My point is that these kids are the healthiest they can possibly be, and the healthiest they will ever be for the rest of their lives. The statistics that apply to the general population or even others in their age range do not apply to them. That's not to say they're 100% completely safe, but they are the safest people in our population, with the exception of young children.
njbill

Post by njbill »

What you say is largely true, but it is only part of the story.

Most fundamentally, infected athletes are carriers. They can infect anyone they come in contact with, which includes family, friends, employees at the college they attend, people in the community, etc. This is a significant issue, as I think everybody knows (or at least should know) because the coronavirus is much, much more contagious than, say, the flu.

While for many people, the disease is mild, that is not true in all cases. Some percentage have a really rough battle. And, of course, some must be hospitalized. And then most tragically, some die. So while the college athlete is quite unlikely to have a seriously adverse experience, the odds are much greater that someone they infect may.

The other issue is long-term effects. This article from the Washington Post discusses potential heart problems for athletes. While the disease is very new, there have been lots of disturbing reports about possible long-term, serious damage to the lungs, heart, kidneys, and perhaps other organs. We simply don’t yet know the nature and extent of the possible long-term ratifications. The common flu doesn’t have these types of serious adverse effects.

What I would say to you is be patient. The country will get through this in a year or two. You are focusing on the short term consequences which, to be sure, seem serious to many people and, indeed, are serious to quite a number.

The people that need to be making the decisions for college athletes are the college administrators on advice of scientists and medical doctors. That is what is happening. We all need to respect their decisions which, I think, are being made with the best interests of the athletes, their schools, and their surrounding communities.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... -dhp-feeds
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:37 pm What you say is largely true, but it is only part of the story.

Most fundamentally, infected athletes are carriers. They can infect anyone they come in contact with, which includes family, friends, employees at the college they attend, people in the community, etc. This is a significant issue, as I think everybody knows (or at least should know) because the coronavirus is much, much more contagious than, say, the flu.

While for many people, the disease is mild, that is not true in all cases. Some percentage have a really rough battle. And, of course, some must be hospitalized. And then most tragically, some die. So while the college athlete is quite unlikely to have a seriously adverse experience, the odds are much greater that someone they infect may.

The other issue is long-term effects. This article from the Washington Post discusses potential heart problems for athletes. While the disease is very new, there have been lots of disturbing reports about possible long-term, serious damage to the lungs, heart, kidneys, and perhaps other organs. We simply don’t yet know the nature and extent of the possible long-term ratifications. The common flu doesn’t have these types of serious adverse effects.

What I would say to you is be patient. The country will get through this in a year or two. You are focusing on the short term consequences which, to be sure, seem serious to many people and, indeed, are serious to quite a number.

The people that need to be making the decisions for college athletes are the college administrators on advice of scientists and medical doctors. That is what is happening. We all need to respect their decisions which, I think, are being made with the best interests of the athletes, their schools, and their surrounding communities.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... -dhp-feeds
NJ, I usually agree with 90%+ of what you write, but have a different opinion here. The absolute last people who should be making decisions for college athletes are college administrators = let the kids make the decision on whether to opt in or opt out. If they opt in, sign a waiver. Almost 100% of pediatricians agree that sending kids back to school is the best way to proceed - we should all study what happened in Sweden.

It never get's as much press as the "total number of cases" but the recovery rate is 99.96% or said another way - the mortality rate is .03%! And as pointed out by a previous poster - it's literally 0% for this specific population.

We've had club lacrosse, baseball, basketball, golf, tennis all summer long without an issue.

You don't lock down 99.96% of the population to protect the .03% of the population who is at risk - it's absolutely backwards.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yes, we differ here, at least to an extent. That could well be because our situations are different.

Maybe the kids (in consultation with their parents) should be permitted to opt out, but I don’t think they should be the ones to decide whether college sports should proceed. It has to be the adults responsible for the colleges who make those decisions. Similar to the pros where the athletes can opt in or out, but the leagues make the decisions about whether the league will play or not.

Also, even if the athletes may not, themselves, get seriously sick, they can infect others who can.

Also, I think the mortality rate is around 3% give or take, not, .03%.

Also, check your PMs. I responded to your post from yesterday.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

njbill wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:06 pm Yes, we differ here, at least to an extent. That could well be because our situations are different.

Maybe the kids (in consultation with their parents) should be permitted to opt out, but I don’t think they should be the ones to decide whether college sports should proceed. It has to be the adults responsible for the colleges who make those decisions. Similar to the pros where the athletes can opt in or out, but the leagues make the decisions about whether the league will play or not.

Also, even if the athletes may not, themselves, get seriously sick, they can infect others who can.

Also, I think the mortality rate is around 3% give or take, not, .03%.

Also, check your PMs. I responded to your post from yesterday.

You are spot on with the 3% if you are using the numbers of confirmed cases (5 million) and the number of COVID deaths (160K).

But, the actual of cases in the US is at least a factor of 10 according to most scientist. Also, the number of confirmed COVID deaths is subjective as well. IT may nit be as high.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Agreed that most experts estimate the number of actual cases to be much higher. I think that speculation is probably accurate.

Don’t agree that the actual number of deaths are lower. That one is tougher to get a handle on right now. I think it could easily be much higher. We will see down the road I suspect.

In any event, 3% is the mortality rate based on actual current numbers.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

njbill wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:18 am Agreed that most experts estimate the number of actual cases to be much higher. I think that speculation is probably accurate.

Don’t agree that the actual number of deaths are lower. That one is tougher to get a handle on right now. I think it could easily be much higher. We will see down the road I suspect.

In any event, 3% is the mortality rate based on actual current numbers.
I am glad you were able to decipher my typo filled comment :D Guess it is to early in the morning for me to be typing, or maybe even thinking.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Every doctor and nurse I have spoken to in the last several months says the coding of deaths is making the mortality rate much higher than it really is. Co morbity, people with underlying health issues, cancer, obesity, diabetes, etc are all being labeled Covid-19. It is a shame and a sham to get more money for the struggling hospitals……..and as we all know it is incredibly political. Anyone who does not see this is in the tank for one side or does not read the data that we have been told to follow.
njbill

Post by njbill »

If the individual had underlying health conditions such as those you mention, those, too, are included on the death certificate if they contributed to the death. However, if the coronavirus was a cause of death, it is properly listed on the death certificate and properly included in the coronavirus death statistics.

It is too early to know whether actual deaths are higher or lower than those currently being reported. This is something, however, that should be left to the physicians who prepare death certificates, not politicians.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/covid19/coding ... orting.htm
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

Big 10 and Pac 12 expected to announce that football season is cancelled no later than tomorrow. SEC, Big 12 and ACC are on the fence. Barring a medical miracle, that should pretty much do it for sports this academic year.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Call me crazy. I don't get it. No one under the age of 25 dies from this disease. Yes, positive tests have gone up but again, you are 8 times more likely to die from the seasonal flu at the college age and younger. Not my stats, look it up. November 4th, there will be a miracle and January, wow, it will be like nothing happened. Kinda like in 2018 when 81,000 died from the seasonal flu and no one said anything. We are sheep following the alarmists. Our parents and grandparents are rolling over in their graves truly embarrassed.
HVGuy

Post by HVGuy »

You are right. You do not get it. A few might die - tough on them. Do you care about who they come in contact with? Professors, dining hall workers, other students, referees, coaches - and then who they come in contact with? THIS IS NOT THE FLU!!! If you stop listening to the idiots who are just worried about the f*(&^%$g election and start listening to medical professionals, you MIGHT learn something. This thing spreads like nothing before and has unpredictable - perhaps permanent - consequences. Other countries have done so much better than the USA in dealing with this because they are letting the medical professionals lead, not arguing with them, minimizing them, or hiding them. We are all shut down until a vaccine, reliable treatment, or a combination of the two emerges because the USA in general does not have the will power to adhere to the requirements to organically curtail the virus proliferation.
HVGuy

Post by HVGuy »

Also, as of August 10, we are over 160,000 dead in less than 6 months and over 5,000,000 infected for a mortality rate of infection of over 3%. The more it spreads, the more it will kill. How big do you think the college community is in the USA?
Turtles Lax

Doomers are prevailing it seems.

Post by Turtles Lax »

But look at the bright side.

The beervirus has cured flu, pneumonia, Alzheimer’s, and multiple other diseases.

At least nobody seems to die of those ailments nowadays. :roll:

Peace, out.

TL
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

HVGuy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:49 pm You are right. You do not get it. A few might die - tough on them. Do you care about who they come in contact with? Professors, dining hall workers, other students, referees, coaches - and then who they come in contact with? THIS IS NOT THE FLU!!! If you stop listening to the idiots who are just worried about the f*(&^%$g election and start listening to medical professionals, you MIGHT learn something. This thing spreads like nothing before and has unpredictable - perhaps permanent - consequences. Other countries have done so much better than the USA in dealing with this because they are letting the medical professionals lead, not arguing with them, minimizing them, or hiding them. We are all shut down until a vaccine, reliable treatment, or a combination of the two emerges because the USA in general does not have the will power to adhere to the requirements to organically curtail the virus proliferation.
In an effort to appear more informed, you show a lot of ignorance. Team Apocalypse has really done a number on you.

I hope, for your sake, that you are willing to reengage with society before an effective vaccine is widely available.
Shellax

Post by Shellax »

HVGuy I'm with you.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

ProudPapa wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:58 pm
HVGuy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:49 pm You are right. You do not get it. A few might die - tough on them. Do you care about who they come in contact with? Professors, dining hall workers, other students, referees, coaches - and then who they come in contact with? THIS IS NOT THE FLU!!! If you stop listening to the idiots who are just worried about the f*(&^%$g election and start listening to medical professionals, you MIGHT learn something. This thing spreads like nothing before and has unpredictable - perhaps permanent - consequences. Other countries have done so much better than the USA in dealing with this because they are letting the medical professionals lead, not arguing with them, minimizing them, or hiding them. We are all shut down until a vaccine, reliable treatment, or a combination of the two emerges because the USA in general does not have the will power to adhere to the requirements to organically curtail the virus proliferation.
In an effort to appear more informed, you show a lot of ignorance. Team Apocalypse has really done a number on you.

I hope, for your sake, that you are willing to reengage with society before an effective vaccine is widely available.
+1

Go Twins,
JoeMauer89!
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Dear HV guy,

Every doctor and nurse I have spoken to agrees with me. Don't you find it concerning that the media, Facebook, google, youtube and the like are silencing doctors who have similar opinions, one that do not allign with yours/theirs. We are killing ourselves and it ain't the virus. The long terms effect of anxiety, depression, suicide, drugs, alcohol and abuse will make this virus look like a joke . It is the chaos that the left wants and the wackos are buying into it. At some point, we have to learn to live with risk and build herd immunity. The average age of death is 75 and many have immune deficiencies and other ailments that are killing them.
So next year, do we keep college sports shut down again if we don't find a cure? do we keep the economy shut down? Yikes!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”