Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by youthathletics »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:13 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:32 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:12 pm Mayo is gross unless in tuna so I’ll let you guys have that one all day.

Question for the cooks here. Marinating the heck out of a couple of whole chicken leg quarters. Don’t have a butchers knife and frankly all my knives suck. Should I try to cut before or after cooking between the leg and thigh?
Should be a quite easy cut if you search for that knuckle...ain't much there. flip it over skin side down and slowly swing them apart.....just enough to find that knuckle even a cheap steak knife should ease through it.
After cooking is fine then? Last time I struggled but it had a vinegar based bbq sauce bruised on and I nearly took one of my own knuckles off.

Trying spieidie sauce on a 4.5 day marinade. Should be able to burn the heck out of it and still have it be moist and juicy

Good video about marinades. Not a big fan of them myself. I'd rather drizzle something on at the last second, like a vinaigrette or pesto or something with a lot of flavor. Marinades' flavors are muted by the cooking. Also, if you're cooking anything besides boneless skinless chicken breasts, your chicken should stay moist while grilling/cooking.
I never marinade, only brine turkey and pork...typically overnight for large cuts. I also cook damned near everything in cast iron, which provides it's own flavonoids for lack of a better word. I tend to sear or reverse sear most proteins, and an often forgotten but very crucial part is to allow protein to adequately rest.

Chicken is often over cooked if you follow what the meat thermometer says which is often 180, I pull chicken out @165 if cooking fast...but if you can hold it at 145-150 for about 8 minutes, it does the same thing as 165...talk about juicy.

This is my current favorite dish.....and so very easy to make. https://jandatri.com/recipe/one-skillet-chicken/

I often do not use the green onions (just don't keep them as a staple), I also only use one large breast and beat it down to about 1/2....great portion for just the wife and I. I also like Havarti Cheese in place of the mozz...but both are still yummy. I have also substituted pork for chicken.

Enjoy.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:13 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:13 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:32 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:12 pm Mayo is gross unless in tuna so I’ll let you guys have that one all day.

Question for the cooks here. Marinating the heck out of a couple of whole chicken leg quarters. Don’t have a butchers knife and frankly all my knives suck. Should I try to cut before or after cooking between the leg and thigh?
Should be a quite easy cut if you search for that knuckle...ain't much there. flip it over skin side down and slowly swing them apart.....just enough to find that knuckle even a cheap steak knife should ease through it.
After cooking is fine then? Last time I struggled but it had a vinegar based bbq sauce bruised on and I nearly took one of my own knuckles off.

Trying spieidie sauce on a 4.5 day marinade. Should be able to burn the heck out of it and still have it be moist and juicy

Good video about marinades. Not a big fan of them myself. I'd rather drizzle something on at the last second, like a vinaigrette or pesto or something with a lot of flavor. Marinades' flavors are muted by the cooking. Also, if you're cooking anything besides boneless skinless chicken breasts, your chicken should stay moist while grilling/cooking.
I never marinade, only brine turkey and pork...typically overnight for large cuts. I also cook damned near everything in cast iron, which provides it's own flavonoids for lack of a better word. I tend to sear or reverse sear most proteins, and an often forgotten but very crucial part is to allow protein to adequately rest.

Chicken is often over cooked if you follow what the meat thermometer says which is often 180, I pull chicken out @165 if cooking fast...but if you can hold it at 145-150 for about 8 minutes, it does the same thing as 165...talk about juicy.

This is my current favorite dish.....and so very easy to make. https://jandatri.com/recipe/one-skillet-chicken/

I often do not use the green onions (just don't keep them as a staple), I also only use one large breast and beat it down to about 1/2....great portion for just the wife and I. I also like Havarti Cheese in place of the mozz...but both are still yummy. I have also substituted pork for chicken.

Enjoy.
I’m going to try this thanks
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

Best marinade out there hands down, works on everything.
Your taste buds will thank you. :mrgreen:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

DMac wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:01 pm Best marinade out there hands down, works on everything.
"You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:01 pm Best marinade out there hands down, works on everything.
I don’t think there’s enough of the herbs…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:18 am
DMac wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:58 am A ll you ever need to know about cutting chicken quarters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1wrDnLbMHM
Thanks!

Now I need a science/medicine expert to explain why I’m eating bran flake cereal and putting MCT oils in my morning coffee and taking one painful, pill popper type dumps lately. Don’t supposed you stayed at a holiday inn express lately and can do doctor for me? I should probably check with Hop72.
Never mind…
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:00 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:13 am

Enjoy.
I’m going to try this thanks
Made it last night....

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Looks excellent

Is that just cheese oils or what are you using as lubricant?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:17 am Looks excellent

Combination of the butter, chicken juices, and stock from deglazing the pan after sautéing the shrooms.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:23 am

Combination of the butter, chicken juices, and stock from deglazing the pan after sautéing the shrooms.
That’s the one thing I noticed and don’t like. Shrooms.

If they ain’t loaded with psilocybin, I ain’t buyin.

But otherwise I like it and will mess around with it next week see what happens
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:34 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:23 am

That’s the one thing I noticed and don’t like. Shrooms.

If they ain’t loaded with psilocybin, I ain’t buyin.

But otherwise I like it and will mess around with it next week see what happens
I've made it without shrooms and its just as tasty.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

My wife has been trying to cut down on carbs. She is on this new kick about using chaffles instead of bread. We bought a waffle maker and made a batch this weekend. They are damn good. You are exchanging bread for grated motz and eggs but they are very tasty.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:56 am My wife has been trying to cut down on carbs. She is on this new kick about using chaffles instead of bread. We bought a waffle maker and made a batch this weekend. They are damn good. You are exchanging bread for grated motz and eggs but they are very tasty.
Sounds tasty.

I did a Keto spell for about 4 months, lost about 10 pounds and felt really great....but I think that was primarily from eating better and just more active. I've always had a tough time balancing calories in vs calories out. So I chose this as a kickstarter.

It was a nice change to kick start a healthier way of eating. Really started enjoying more veggies and trying new things. Be mindful, that you can go into keto flu and get dehydrated rather quickly, and just drinking more water is also not the answer...as this can make it worse. keto flu is a real thing...headacahes, muscle cramps/spasms in the middle of the night. Some people get this bad breath odor as well. I still kept my carb intake to about 20-30g a day. Another major contributor is sugar...especially soda. For those quit their daily softdrinks, you can see lbs drop rather quickly.

Then the holidays arrived and it all went to hell in about 30 days. :lol: :lol: I know its time to trim up when pants get a bit snug.....been wearing the same size 34 for 20 plus years, when they get snug, its time to trim back up.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:10 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:56 am My wife has been trying to cut down on carbs. She is on this new kick about using chaffles instead of bread. We bought a waffle maker and made a batch this weekend. They are damn good. You are exchanging bread for grated motz and eggs but they are very tasty.
Sounds tasty.

I did a Keto spell for about 4 months, lost about 10 pounds and felt really great....but I think that was primarily from eating better and just more active. I've always had a tough time balancing calories in vs calories out. So I chose this as a kickstarter.

It was a nice change to kick start a healthier way of eating. Really started enjoying more veggies and trying new things. Be mindful, that you can go into keto flu and get dehydrated rather quickly, and just drinking more water is also not the answer...as this can make it worse. keto flu is a real thing...headacahes, muscle cramps/spasms in the middle of the night. Some people get this bad breath odor as well. I still kept my carb intake to about 20-30g a day. Another major contributor is sugar...especially soda. For those quit their daily softdrinks, you can see lbs drop rather quickly.

Then the holidays arrived and it all went to hell in about 30 days. :lol: :lol: I know its time to trim up when pants get a bit snug.....been wearing the same size 34 for 20 plus years, when they get snug, its time to trim back up.
I still get my carb fix. Two or three times a week I have a single lonesome blueberry pancake for breakfast. My wife is Italian so one meal a week is pasta. Tonight is rigatoni with sauce and meatballs. Sauce and meatballs are both my wifes home made.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:15 am
Sounds tasty.

I still get my carb fix. Two or three times a week I have a single lonesome blueberry pancake for breakfast. My wife is Italian so one meal a week is pasta. Tonight is rigatoni with sauce and meatballs. Sauce and meatballs are both my wifes home made.
And you should...the goal is not enjoy what you yet, portions matter. Have another meatball and slice of mozz with some olive oil and basil, rather than another cup/40grams of pasta.

Enjoy!!
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:20 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:15 am
Sounds tasty.

And you should...the goal is not enjoy what you yet, portions matter. Have another meatball and slice of mozz with some olive oil and basil, rather than another cup/40grams of pasta.

Enjoy!!
Will do.. my wife enjoys her pork hocks. You give me a meatball and a sausage and I am good to go. I learned awhile back the key to eating anything is small bites and eat slow. When you feel your getting full it is time to pull away from the plate. My weakness is those ice cream sammiches at 9pm before I go to bed.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

You’re so predictable.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Was that chicken and shrimp on clearance?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Five finger discount
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:19 pm Was that chicken and shrimp on clearance?
Wings were marked down to $2.59/lb, 2 days out from use by date at Wegman's...were very tasty.
Shrimp not marked down but on sale, tomatoes, pepper, and herbs all homegrown in the garden.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”