Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by AreaLax »

Terps are young on defense so Grill and Ubriaco will be a good additions. Not surprised by a fourth goalie being added. Just who it was. Have to wonder why Brandau left GT
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:59 pm Tillman is busier rearranging his roster than Yankees Cashman.

Close defenseman Nick Grill formerly of Marquette is transferring into Maryland for his senior go. Good player , nice replacement for Corley . Third transfer this postseason for Maryland, Ubriaco and Brandau being others, conveniently plugging or reinforcing holes on the defensive side.

Meanwhile two former Terps named Hinton and Wichens who were highly ranked recruits in recent past have relocated themselves at Jacksonville and LIU

Realguy's script
That is quite a bit of news all at once for the Terps.
I don't know that Hinton really fits Realguy's model, as he was getting a little playing time for the Terps as a freshman, then suddenly dropped off the team in the middle of the season.
Good luck to Hinton and Wichelns at their new schools. It's nice to see that LIU is going D1 in 2020.

Grill seems like just the sort of transfer the Terps can use.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I'm wondering if Grill won't play at the LSM spot. Size wise, he doesn't fit the typical mold of a Maryland close defenseman. But his ground ball and caused turnover stats at Marquette make me think he'd be a really good LSM for the Terps. There's so much size at attack for B1G programs. Hate to say that size matters...but...
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Grill is a little shorter than most UMd defensemen at 5'7", but he weighs 185, which indicates that he is rather stocky - and thus might do a good job holding his position around the goal.
Live Free or Die!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

He'll be UM best close defender. He's just like his bro BJ who plays in PLL, just taller and bigger.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:10 pm He'll be UM best close defender. He's just like his bro BJ who plays in PLL, just taller and bigger.
Brett Makar will be 1st Team All-B1G.
Realguy

Post by Realguy »

At the end of 2019 there were 46 Terps on the roster and 10 were graduating seniors. If my math is correct that is 36 returning under classman plus the 15 players listed on IL as being 2019 commits and add on the 3 transfers for now. With a 54 player roster entering fall ball some guys are getting cut or transferring, I say between 6-10 to make room for some over the xmas break additions. Thoughts ? And if a kid is a scholarship athlete and he theoretically can't have his money taken away because of the BIG 10 commitment how do you think Cashman/Tills goes about getting that money back. Do you think he will ask nicely and politely or perhaps ride the kid and make him miserable to the point where he either quits or transfers. Remember there are only 12.6 athletic $$$$ and those undesirables could be the difference between attracting a transfer or not. Either way the Maryland Yankees will do just fine, can we start calling the Terps "The Evil Empire" and Tills Darth Vader.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:10 pm He'll be UM best close defender. He's just like his bro BJ who plays in PLL, just taller and bigger.
Huge get for the Terps...people on Charles Street can't be pleased by this transfer...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

oldjayfan wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:06 pm
Huge get for the Terps...people on Charles Street can't be pleased by this transfer...
Because it improves a rival or because we should have gotten him instead? I'm pretty sure Hopkins does not accept transfers into its senior class. Sophomores and juniors only.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Realguy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:33 am At the end of 2019 there were 46 Terps on the roster and 10 were graduating seniors. If my math is correct that is 36 returning under classman plus the 15 players listed on IL as being 2019 commits and add on the 3 transfers for now. With a 54 player roster entering fall ball some guys are getting cut or transferring, I say between 6-10 to make room for some over the xmas break additions. Thoughts ? And if a kid is a scholarship athlete and he theoretically can't have his money taken away because of the BIG 10 commitment how do you think Cashman/Tills goes about getting that money back. Do you think he will ask nicely and politely or perhaps ride the kid and make him miserable to the point where he either quits or transfers. Remember there are only 12.6 athletic $$$$ and those undesirables could be the difference between attracting a transfer or not. Either way the Maryland Yankees will do just fine, can we start calling the Terps "The Evil Empire" and Tills Darth Vader.
I think you might take a long, hard look at the demographics of the remaining 36 on the current roster, especially players that will be Juniors. Not much playing time, and most likely, equal scholarship money. As in little to none. Best friends from Philly suburbs are rooming together. Both are out of state full pay, accept the non lacrosse player from Philly suburb is paying LESS than scholarhip lacrosse player. How can this be?
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:22 pm
Because it improves a rival or because we should have gotten him instead? I'm pretty sure Hopkins does not accept transfers into its senior class. Sophomores and juniors only.
How many transfer to Hopkins from the local community colleges? Lacrosse player or not.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:51 pm
How many transfer to Hopkins from the local community colleges? Lacrosse player or not.
I have no idea, that information may not even be public. What does it have to do with anything?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:34 pm
I have no idea, that information may not even be public. What does it have to do with anything?

Hop is like a maximum security prison: everybody wants out, no one wants in.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Realguy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:33 am At the end of 2019 there were 46 Terps on the roster and 10 were graduating seniors. If my math is correct that is 36 returning under classman plus the 15 players listed on IL as being 2019 commits and add on the 3 transfers for now. With a 54 player roster entering fall ball some guys are getting cut or transferring, I say between 6-10 to make room for some over the xmas break additions. Thoughts ? And if a kid is a scholarship athlete and he theoretically can't have his money taken away because of the BIG 10 commitment how do you think Cashman/Tills goes about getting that money back. Do you think he will ask nicely and politely or perhaps ride the kid and make him miserable to the point where he either quits or transfers. Remember there are only 12.6 athletic $$$$ and those undesirables could be the difference between attracting a transfer or not. Either way the Maryland Yankees will do just fine, can we start calling the Terps "The Evil Empire" and Tills Darth Vader.
hmmm...
some nice hypotheticals and strawman fallacies here....
a) has this happened to you, realguy? were you a maryland player, and were you run thru the moreland smith wringer?
b) if a), then what were several examples of things you went thru that others didn't?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:39 pm

Your best returning player from last year just said "nah actually I'm good" and BAILED because he wanted nothing to do with the program.

Hop receives about three times as many applications per year as Loyola does.

Anyway, this is the Maryland thread, so, I think Terp fans will be pleased with Grill. For my money he's a better defender than Corley was.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:50 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:39 pm

Your best returning player from last year just said "nah actually I'm good" and BAILED because he wanted nothing to do with the program.

Hop receives about three times as many applications per year as Loyola does.

All it takes is one game at the RAC and every lacrosse fan switches allegiance. What Wagnerian opera and an AC/DC concert respectively are to music, is what Hopkins and Loyola are to lacrosse. I mean, two different universes of fun, talent, and style; at Loyola, we never want the games to end; at Hopkins, everyone wants the game to end before it even begins. Dismal.

Leaving a few tix at the RAC will-call for you before it's too late. We're only a few blocks north on Charles Street. Uber up, hopfan16.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

what does information regarding transfers have to do with transfers, you ask ? :roll: :roll: :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I don't know that one can be confident that all 36 players on UMd's roster that could return will return. It could be possible that 1-3 of them have moved on, and Tillman is aware of this.

While sometimes Tillman adds a star in December like Justin Shockey, a lot of the time December additions appear to be filling in the manpower needs of the roster. That is, not enough players made it through the fall, and Tillman has to add a player or 2 to keep the roster full.
Live Free or Die!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Maybe Tillman is puppeteering the in and out movement as Realguy has suggested.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tim Rotanz Joins LIU Post coaching staff. Has been hired at new Division I program LIU Post, according to sources for IL.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”