VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

Post by Cooter »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:54 am For what it is worth, Shellenberger is red shirting this year.
It seems a little peculiar to have the #1 recruit red-shirting.
Virginia's window for right-handed attackmen opens up 2 seasons down the road when Moore and Laviano graduate, so red-shirting might give Shellenberger 3 years as a starter on attack as opposed to 2.
Live Free or Die!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:10 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:54 am For what it is worth, Shellenberger is red shirting this year.
Lars does not pay me for my advice (to be honest, I wouldn't trust the advice of a Hopkins fan either ;) ) but I think this would be a pretty big mistake. It feels like tempting fate to me. If your championship window is right now—who knows what the team or the landscape looks like in 3 years—then I don't see why you keep a kid like that off the field even if the offense is crowded. You find a spot for him, get him meaningful reps, and he will be a better player for it in the future having played in actual games with Atiken and Kraus. Plus, the kid might say he's cool with this now but things can change. Having to sit out an entire year when you're hurt is one thing, but when you're healthy and know you can be contributing—that can take its toll. I'm sure the situation is not the same as it was for Wisnauskas at Syracuse but any time you tell a kid like that that he won't play this year, you at least run the risk of a negative outcome. It just seems a little too cute. Yeah, your offense is already quite good—why not make it better? The assumption would be that it's ultimately in the best interest of the player and the team, and I'm not sure I'd agree with either.

Anyway, please beat Loyola this weekend!
not a lot i love about this as an outsider, including the window, but for now i'll keep most thoughts as more info comes out. if this is accurate, it'll probably be discussed plenty. however, no way of knowing who's pulling the trigger on it at this point.
also -- your emotions re: wanting pb to take a bath may be getting the better of you. with virginia dropped from the schedule, you want loyola. margins are thin on the bubble, and if the jays happen to be there outcomes like this could tilt it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:18 pm Joe Robertson injured and red shirting, Connor Shellenberger red shirting, Connor Croll awaiting trial (google it), not a good year for STAB HS lacrosse grads. It can only look up from here.
2 out of 3, maybe. i don't love the move for a number of reasons, but not sure how a player redshirting is on any kind of similar plane to contributing to "not a good year".
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:50 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:18 pm Joe Robertson injured and red shirting, Connor Shellenberger red shirting, Connor Croll awaiting trial (google it), not a good year for STAB HS lacrosse grads. It can only look up from here.
2 out of 3, maybe. i don't love the move for a number of reasons, but not sure how a player redshirting is on any kind of similar plane to contributing to "not a good year".
With Shellenberger, my fantasy team is now in “Trust the Process” mode.
“I wish you would!”
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Wow. Did you mean to take such a cheap shot like that at STAB? A bit of schadenfreude it seems?
Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:05 am My youngest went straight public, never played for the hour away club, plays DI and has started since being a freshman. Also for full disclosure, the new club did develop the IL #1 recruit for a very recent class. The private HS this year sent players to UVA, ND, Fairfield and various high level DIII schools. My son was the only public HS player to go DI in the area.
Good thing that you sent your youngest kid to public school in Charlottesville (Ablemarle?) and not STAB. I think that you stated that he is already is starting as a freshman at a D-I school. Which school? Hope that he does all right.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
molo

Post by molo »

Maybe he wants to have a shot at starting at attack for four years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 pm Maybe he wants to have a shot at starting at attack for four years.
If that's the case, he should have stayed committed to his original school. :D
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:16 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:10 pm
Lars does not pay me for my advice (to be honest, I wouldn't trust the advice of a Hopkins fan either ;) ) but I think this would be a pretty big mistake. It feels like tempting fate to me. If your championship window is right now—who knows what the team or the landscape looks like in 3 years—then I don't see why you keep a kid like that off the field even if the offense is crowded. You find a spot for him, get him meaningful reps, and he will be a better player for it in the future having played in actual games with Atiken and Kraus. Plus, the kid might say he's cool with this now but things can change. Having to sit out an entire year when you're hurt is one thing, but when you're healthy and know you can be contributing—that can take its toll. I'm sure the situation is not the same as it was for Wisnauskas at Syracuse but any time you tell a kid like that that he won't play this year, you at least run the risk of a negative outcome. It just seems a little too cute. Yeah, your offense is already quite good—why not make it better? The assumption would be that it's ultimately in the best interest of the player and the team, and I'm not sure I'd agree with either.

Anyway, please beat Loyola this weekend!
is this for the pleasure of seeing PB and his super hot take get drowned out LOL

Because in my gut, UVA most likely will. In any case, if Loyola somehow someway in the tiniest chance does come away with a Win then i'd be shocked

Let HopFan16 troll our boards.

Hopkins is at best the 4th-best D1 team in the State of Maryland anymore. UMD, Loyola, Towson are looking at Hop in the rear view mirror. When Navy's new coach resurrects that program, Hop will be like the Brooklyn Dodgers, nothing more than a fond memory of athletic excellence.
molo

Post by molo »

Hopkins crossed my mind. Coming off a redshirt year, would be have to sit out a year at another ACC school, or could he play right away?
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

The kid was not going to be forced to red-shirt against his wishes.

why make stuff up?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

molo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:09 pm Hopkins crossed my mind. Coming off a redshirt year, would be have to sit out a year at another ACC school, or could he play right away?
Why would Hopkins cross your mind? :roll:
molo

Post by molo »

Wasn’t he originally slated to go to Hopkins?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I would be shocked if LC wins the game. I don’t much care for red shirting players who aren’t injured but it’s been done before. Cuse has had quite a few in recent years. But Lars is not telling the player he has to red shirt imo. He will lay out the facts and tell him what he wants to do and why and get his reaction then mutually move to a decision.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

molo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:19 pm Wasn’t he originally slated to go to Hopkins?
Yes he was.
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:26 pm
molo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:19 pm Wasn’t he originally slated to go to Hopkins?
Yes he was.
If he wasn’t going to start and get minimal playing time, why not red shirt. There are worse things in the world than to stay an extra year in college.

He is obviously a very good player, but there were people that thought he was a little over ranked. This is not a shot at the young man and he is definitely one of the better players in the class. But he went to a school strong in his position and is not really a surprise that he wasn’t going to get much playing time this year. The year will do him good to improve on some things.
molo

Post by molo »

An indication of how deep the talent pool is here is that one year the number one recruit at his position can compete for his job, lose it, and eventually transfer and the team still wins the NC and that the next year the number one recruit overall sits out and the team still (maybe) will be in contention for the NC.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Sure. But you are implying that he would want to leave because of the RS. Pretty irresponsible post IMO considering you don’t know the details or what went into the decision.
molo

Post by molo »

Not implying at all that he would leave because of the redshirt, simply that the redshirt would allow four years somewhere else instead of one year somewhat wasted. I have no idea of his intention and certainly do not assume that he was told to redshirt.
GSP

Post by GSP »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:37 pm
molo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 pm Maybe he wants to have a shot at starting at attack for four years.
If that's the case, he should have stayed committed to his original school. :D
Well, he also wanted to get past the second round of the NCAA's and win a couple championships so that would have been impossible at his "original school."
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

bam1972 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:27 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:26 pm
Yes he was.
If he wasn’t going to start and get minimal playing time, why not red shirt. There are worse things in the world than to stay an extra year in college.

He is obviously a very good player, but there were people that thought he was a little over ranked. This is not a shot at the young man and he is definitely one of the better players in the class. But he went to a school strong in his position and is not really a surprise that he wasn’t going to get much playing time this year. The year will do him good to improve on some things.
Did he play in fall scrimmages? If so I believe you can’t just red shirt, if true another wonderful rule from the student athlete friendly NCAA. I know nothing about him or his situation, just curious about the rule if someone knows.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”