NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
smoova

Re: NESCAC

Post by smoova »

SaltCounty wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:57 am Also think Bowdoin is going to be very good & agree with InsiderRoll
I don't think they take a step backwards - maybe laterally.
They will hang around long enough at the top to be in position to win in the next few years
Bowdoin is an interesting case - Mason has proven to be a great coach, but the the timing of his hiring resulted in a very lean 2022 recruiting class. I worry about that impacting the team's success in the 2025 and 2026 seasons. One of my best friends has a kid on the team, so I am rooting for them.
nelaxman

Post by nelaxman »

Wesleyan
Tufts
Bowdoin
Amherst
Midd
Williams
Hamilton
Conn
Trinity
Colby
Bates
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Surprised more people aren't pumping up Middlebury?...All we heard last year was that Frosh class was the second coming...
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Tufts
Wesleyan
Midd
Williams
Hamilton
Amherst
Bowdoin
Conn
Trinity
Colby
Bates
RamsFan

Post by RamsFan »

Tufts
Wesleyan
Midd
Bowdoin
Hamilton
Williams
Amherst
Conn
Trinity
Colby
Bates
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

When does Middlebury move on from Dave Campbell? They’ve only had 5 winning seasons in the last decade. 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 1 of which was a 3-0 COVID year that they played a weak schedule. What’s the real problem up there? Recruiting seems to be doing just fine. culture, school issue, coaching?
smoova

Post by smoova »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:55 pm When does Middlebury move on from Dave Campbell? They’ve only had 5 winning seasons in the last decade. 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 1 of which was a 3-0 COVID year that they played a weak schedule. What’s the real problem up there? Recruiting seems to be doing just fine. culture, school issue, coaching?
First, a disclosure: I like Coach Campbell and have a personal interest in his success.

I think you're assuming that one of Middlebury's top priorities for Campbell is assembling a team that consistently dominates the NESCAC. I'm not convinced that is correct.

Consider that the Midd administration recently watched (i) Amherst men's lacrosse play in the national championship game and then immediately trigger an avalanche of negative press for the institution, which resulted in 2+ years of administrative flailing and at least one lawsuit, and (ii) a captain of the Bowdoin team pen an extremely unflattering piece about race and team culture, which also caused a coaching change and a very lean recruiting class during a period where many NESCACs were stocking up on full-pay, DI-level players because of the pandemic/extended DI dead period.

I have no idea how much Amherst/Bowdoin alumni angst was caused by those episodes, but I'm fairly certain that former players weren't quietly chewing their nails while their coaches were getting run out of town on a rail. So, add some angry phone calls from large/potentially large donors to the administrative nightmare.

Fortunately, both Amherst and Bowdoin appear to have emerged in pretty good places, but I'm betting those administrations would have gladly accepted a decade of sub-0.500 ball to avoid those fiascos.

All the while, Midd teams win a few and lose a few, players graduate, get good jobs, perhaps donate to the school and (touch wood) there's not a peep of bad press as a result of the Middlebury team. All things considered, ol' Dave probably looks a lot less shabby to the Midd administration than he does to many folks on the LP forum (even without the win against Tufts last spring).
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

smoova wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:05 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:55 pm When does Middlebury move on from Dave Campbell? They’ve only had 5 winning seasons in the last decade. 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 1 of which was a 3-0 COVID year that they played a weak schedule. What’s the real problem up there? Recruiting seems to be doing just fine. culture, school issue, coaching?
First, a disclosure: I like Coach Campbell and have a personal interest in his success.

I think you're assuming that one of Middlebury's top priorities for Campbell is assembling a team that consistently dominates the NESCAC. I'm not convinced that is correct.

Consider that the Midd administration recently watched (i) Amherst men's lacrosse play in the national championship game and then immediately trigger an avalanche of negative press for the institution, which resulted in 2+ years of administrative flailing and at least one lawsuit, and (ii) a captain of the Bowdoin team pen an extremely unflattering piece about race and team culture, which also caused a coaching change and a very lean recruiting class during a period where many NESCACs were stocking up on full-pay, DI-level players because of the pandemic/extended DI dead period.

I have no idea how much Amherst/Bowdoin alumni angst was caused by those episodes, but I'm fairly certain that former players weren't quietly chewing their nails while their coaches were getting run out of town on a rail. So, add some angry phone calls from large/potentially large donors to the administrative nightmare.

Fortunately, both Amherst and Bowdoin appear to have emerged in pretty good places, but I'm betting those administrations would have gladly accepted a decade of sub-0.500 ball to avoid those fiascos.

All the while, Midd teams win a few and lose a few, players graduate, get good jobs, perhaps donate to the school and (touch wood) there's not a peep of bad press as a result of the Middlebury team. All things considered, ol' Dave probably looks a lot less shabby to the Midd administration than he does to many folks on the LP forum (even without the win against Tufts last spring).
All fair points. And there’s something to be said for that. Lacrosse is a lot more fun when Middlebury is consistently good. However the reality is Tufts, Williams, Amherst, Wesleyan, Bowdoin, and maybe even Bates have put together more impressive single seasons than Middlebury has in over a decade.

I’m glad Dave is doing a good job of leading a clean program. But we all know at these liberal arts colleges it just takes one pissed off They/Them SJW to take down an otherwise healthy program and culture. Middlebury is far from an exception.
NewEnglandNative

Post by NewEnglandNative »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:25 pm
smoova wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:05 pm

All fair points. And there’s something to be said for that. Lacrosse is a lot more fun when Middlebury is consistently good. However the reality is Tufts, Williams, Amherst, Wesleyan, Bowdoin, and maybe even Bates have put together more impressive single seasons than Middlebury has in over a decade.

I’m glad Dave is doing a good job of leading a clean program. But we all know at these liberal arts colleges it just takes one ticked off They/Them SJW to take down an otherwise healthy program and culture. Middlebury is far from an exception.
It's interesting because it always seems that Middlebury had the talent to make a push but, hasn't recently IMO, I could be wrong because I don't follow the program as closely as others. I think he stays around though until he doesn't want to. They are always in the hunt/ conversation. In terms of NESCA school/admin priorities always seem to be strong students, good press, and donors. He produces all these so, don't see them parting ways anytime soon.
UpperCorner22

Post by UpperCorner22 »

Wasn't Midd 7 goals away from going 9-1? I think there's a few teams out there in NESCAC land with good players that would gladly take that result... at least they're in the hunt!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

UpperCorner22 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:33 am Wasn't Midd 7 goals away from going 9-1? I think there's a few teams out there in NESCAC land with good players that would gladly take that result... at least they're in the hunt!
7 goals away from going 9-1? They lost 8 games by a combined 31 goals in 2022.
bighoss74

Post by bighoss74 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:02 am
UpperCorner22 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:33 am Wasn't Midd 7 goals away from going 9-1? I think there's a few teams out there in NESCAC land with good players that would gladly take that result... at least they're in the hunt!
I think it's referencing that they were only a few goals away from swinging 6-4 to 9-1 in NESCAC play. 1 goal losses to Bowdoin and Wesleyan, 2 goal loss to Hamilton
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

bighoss74 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:22 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:02 am
I think it's referencing that they were only a few goals away from swinging 6-4 to 9-1 in NESCAC play. 1 goal losses to Bowdoin and Wesleyan, 2 goal loss to Hamilton
My how the culture of Middlebury lacrosse has shifted if that’s an accomplishment. I guess that’s the problem.
smoova

Post by smoova »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:28 pm My how the culture of Middlebury lacrosse has shifted if that’s an accomplishment. I guess that’s the problem.
We know you think Campbell should go, but you’re really reaching here.
RamsFan

Post by RamsFan »

As the snow starts to fly in many parts of the ‘CAC, I thought I would give a first shot at a pre-season All-NESCAC list. Note that I have not made any assumptions about last years seniors that may be returning for a 5th year, unless I have seen confirmation they are returning....of which i'm sure there are a few at least. And I’m sure I missed some deserved players, but here’s what I have, with a some added commentary about some of the guys I got to see play last year.

Attack (listed in order of 2022 season pts):
Player/Team/Class Yr in 2023 season/2022 Pts/Comments

Jack Boyden/Tufts/Sr/133/Crafty one-handed Canadian who flew somewhat under the radar playing as second fiddle to Bredahl last year….but still set the all time Tufts goal record for a season.

Will Byrne/Bowdoin/Jr/101/Another “2022 second fiddle” guy, who from the games I saw often seemed at times to be just as much (sometimes more?) of a threat than the dearly-departed Mullane.

Justin Hazard/Wesleyan/Sr/89/High IQ guy, who is not flashy or imposing but puts up big #s both dishing and finishing; had an impressive .541 shooting % last year.

Tommy Swank/Tufts/Sr/69/Probably the best pure shooter in the league (all of D3?) who put up big #s in second half of the season after he moved from M to his natural position at A.

Brock Gonzales/Amherst/Sr/68/Big body finisher who showed many flashes of brilliance last year. Creates tough match ups, and when he gets hot sometimes looks unstoppable; can he take the mammoths to the next level this year?

Billy Curtis/Middlebury/So/55/Newcomer who put up impressive numbers as a frosh last year. The lanky pre-school product put up 8 pts in the panthers upset of the jumbos.

Midfield (listed in order of 2022 season pts)
Tanyr Krummenacher/Amherst/Sr/57/Huge pts total for a middie (especially one not playing in a cards or jumbos offense), and didn’t even make 2nd team last year? Give this kid some love.

CK Giancola/Wesleyan/Jr/47/Lanky middie was an integral part of the cards high powered offense last year and put up big #s as a soph.

DJ Dixon /Wesleyan/Jr/45/Lot of points in his sophomore effort, an important cog in the card’s impressive offense machine. Tough decision on who gets the pole….CK or DJ

Jack Sheehan /Middlebury/Sr/42/Returning 1st teamer, he will be one of the keys to determine if the panthers can take it to the next level in ’23.

Bayard DeMaillie/Amherst/Sr/42/1st team all-NESCAC’22, and clearly all-name-team as well.

Tim Sommer/Hamilton/Sr/23/Hoss of a Middie who helped bring Hamilton to the brink of a break though last season.

Defense (listed in order of GB+CTO, for lack of anything better)
Player/Team/Class Yr in 2023 season/’22 GB/’22 CTO/Comments
Kyle Adelman/Tufts/Sr/91/50/ 2nd team ’22, crazy # of GBs for any not a fogo

Nolan Collins/Wesleyan/Sr/60/35/2nd team ’22, anchor of the cards defense

Joey Waldbaum/Tufts/Soph/71/23/another big body from the Waldbaum family, tons of GBs

Jack Venurelli/ConnCollege/Sr/59/29/1st team in ‘22

Luke Simpson/Middlebury/Sr/48/29/2nd team ’22, will be anchor of midd defense

Ryan Rahbany/Amherst/Jr/39/18/had an impressive sophomore year for the mammoths

LSM:
Player/Team/Class Yr in 2023 season/’22 GB/’22 CTO

Peter Kennerson/Bowdoin/Sr/57/15/workhorse for the Pbears, also 10pts on the year

Jayme Wilde/Hamilton/So/36/16/Impressive was to start career; 2nd team as frosh in ‘22

SSDM:
Player/Team/Class Yr in 2023 season/G/A/GB/CTO
Zach Goorno/Bowdoin/11/9/72/8/1st team ‘22
Brodie Rayment/Amherst/2/9/55/12/2nd team ‘22

Goalie:
Seamus Fagan/Hamilton/Sr/.632 save%/Impressive year standing n his head in the hills of Utica; 1st team as Jr in ‘22
Robert Hobbs/Bowdoin/Soph/.531 save%/2nd team, impressive showing for a Frosh

FOGO:
Ethan Barnard/Bowdoin/.621 win%/1st team ‘22; created a ton of transition offense for the bears in'22

Nick Kopp/Amherst/.579 win%/2nd team ‘22

I'm sure I missed some very deserving players, and in some cases where i went by stats only (if i didnt know the players) may have been off one way or the other. But thought this would at minimum spur some good discussion :)

PS: sorry i didnt get too creative on a bunch of "new" names but there were a ton of returning players that proved themselves over the past year or two. Plus I started to run out of gas digging through the stats data and team/game summaries as i moved down thru the categories........
ah23

Post by ah23 »

RamsFan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:13 pm interesting that pretty much every one of the Jumbos tough games are on the road.........
Feels like good out-of-region teams almost never come up to play at Tufts, and they always go on the road. They always play/played at Stevens, at Stevenson, were scheduled to play Gettysburg away in 2020 with no home game, etc. Only real home-and-home series I can remember is Cortland a few years ago. Really annoying if you live in the area and want to see the country's top non-NESCAC programs playing against the best the NESCAC has to offer - hope the Lynchburg and Union series are more the norm moving forwards. Would be cool to have Cabrini come north in 2024.
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

RamsFan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:25 pm As the snow starts to fly in many parts of the ‘CAC, I thought I would give a first shot at a pre-season All-NESCAC list. Note that I have not made any assumptions about last years seniors that may be returning for a 5th year, unless I have seen confirmation they are returning....of which i'm sure there are a few at least. And I’m sure I missed some deserved players, but here’s what I have, with a some added commentary about some of the guys I got to see play last year.

Jack Boyden/Tufts/Sr/133/Crafty one-handed Canadian who flew somewhat under the radar playing as second fiddle to Bredahl last year….but still set the all time Tufts goal record for a season.

Will Byrne/Bowdoin/Jr/101/Another “2022 second fiddle” guy, who from the games I saw often seemed at times to be just as much (sometimes more?) of a threat than the dearly-departed Mullane.

Justin Hazard/Wesleyan/Sr/89/High IQ guy, who is not flashy or imposing but puts up big #s both dishing and finishing; had an impressive .541 shooting % last year.

Tommy Swank/Tufts/Sr/69/Probably the best pure shooter in the league (all of D3?) who put up big #s in second half of the season after he moved from M to his natural position at A.

Brock Gonzales/Amherst/Sr/68/Big body finisher who showed many flashes of brilliance last year. Creates tough match ups, and when he gets hot sometimes looks unstoppable; can he take the mammoths to the next level this year?

Billy Curtis/Middlebury/So/55/Newcomer who put up impressive numbers as a frosh last year. The lanky pre-school product put up 8 pts in the panthers upset of the jumbos.

Tanyr Krummenacher/Amherst/Sr/57/Huge pts total for a middie (especially one not playing in a cards or jumbos offense), and didn’t even make 2nd team last year? Give this kid some love.

CK Giancola/Wesleyan/Jr/47/Lanky middie was an integral part of the cards high powered offense last year and put up big #s as a soph.

DJ Dixon /Wesleyan/Jr/45/Lot of points in his sophomore effort, an important cog in the card’s impressive offense machine. Tough decision on who gets the pole….CK or DJ

Jack Sheehan /Middlebury/Sr/42/Returning 1st teamer, he will be one of the keys to determine if the panthers can take it to the next level in ’23.

Bayard DeMaillie/Amherst/Sr/42/1st team all-NESCAC’22, and clearly all-name-team as well.

Tim Sommer/Hamilton/Sr/23/Hoss of a Middie who helped bring Hamilton to the brink of a break though last season.

Joey Waldbaum/Tufts/Soph/71/23/another big body from the Waldbaum family, tons of GBs

LSM:

Peter Kennerson/Bowdoin/Sr/57/15/workhorse for the Pbears, also 10pts on the year

Jayme Wilde/Hamilton/So/36/16/Impressive was to start career; 2nd team as frosh in ‘22

SSDM:

Goalie:
Seamus Fagan/Hamilton/Sr/.632 save%/Impressive year standing n his head in the hills of Utica; 1st team as Jr in ‘22

FOGO:
Ethan Barnard/Bowdoin/.621 win%/1st team ‘22; created a ton of transition offense for the bears in'22

I'm sure I missed some very deserving players, and in some cases where i went by stats only (if i didnt know the players) may have been off one way or the other. But thought this would at minimum spur some good discussion :)

PS: sorry i didnt get too creative on a bunch of "new" names but there were a ton of returning players that proved themselves over the past year or two. Plus I started to run out of gas digging through the stats data and team/game summaries as i moved down thru the categories........
Nice write up. He's not on your list, as he missed most of the season due to injury, but Kurt Bruun from Tufts would have put up serious numbers if he'd played the whole season. Assuming he stays healthy, he should be a 1st teamer. Jumbos also have a talented and deep pool at FO. I would imagine one of them will garner all conference recognition by year end.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JumboFan4 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:18 am
RamsFan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:25 pm As the snow starts to fly in many parts of the ‘CAC, I thought I would give a first shot at a pre-season All-NESCAC list. Note that I have not made any assumptions about last years seniors that may be returning for a 5th year, unless I have seen confirmation they are returning....of which i'm sure there are a few at least. And I’m sure I missed some deserved players, but here’s what I have, with a some added commentary about some of the guys I got to see play last year.

LSM:

SSDM:

Goalie:

FOGO:

Nice write up. He's not on your list, as he missed most of the season due to injury, but Kurt Bruun from Tufts would have put up serious numbers if he'd played the whole season. Assuming he stays healthy, he should be a 1st teamer. Jumbos also have a talented and deep pool at FO. I would imagine one of them will garner all conference recognition by year end.
Ditto that comment. Bruun is physically imposing and had 16pts in 3 games prior to his injury. Merrill is a strong FO man for Tufts as well.
UpperCorner22

Post by UpperCorner22 »

JumboFan4 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:18 am

LSM:

SSDM:

Goalie:

FOGO:

I presume you did not look at or consider any of the players on teams on the lower end of the win/loss ratios (outside of one Conn Coll player)... which I get - it's easier to consider the top teams when doing this data mining for fun (they generally do for all-Americans as well). I think some of the lower teams have some defensive players that are very good that don't get highlighted. Especially when you consider those defensive players are playing a lot more than 50% of the game. Not that I'm gonna do the work to data mine it as well (maybe I will) - and you did a nice job - just pointing it out.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Noah Robb, D, Bowdoin is close to a sure thing for All NESCAC honors next spring. A couple of highlights from last season:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cdqz9vRD ... MTA2M2Y%3D

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdW_COyj ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”