Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:45 am It's not hard to stick an iphone in front of a 20 year old or coaches face for 5 minutes and ask them how practice went.
You're right, it's not that hard, so why are so many other teams — including those in the Big Ten — not doing it? Could it be because they don't really care about lacrosse that much? Or that all there many more AD employees you obsess over don't actually have much or anything to do with lacrosse operations? That can't be true can it?
flalax22 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:03 am
NElaxtalent wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:19 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:38 pm Georgetown is out recruiting just about everyone these days.

I don’t see a Jack Myers or an Owen Grant on Hopkins’ roster,
though lets see what happens with this incoming class.
But Owen Murphy WAS on Hopkins roster and he now has a Championship ring on a team he was a key part of.

Just sayin'...
Still a hard one to figure out. I suspect PM was instituting a culture change and Murphy who by all accounts infractions were minor was the sacrificial lamb. Subsequently many other players have been kept on for much worse including racial incidents. At least he didn’t go to the Jays rival, score a huge goal point to his Maryland jersey and mock the Jays bench. At least that didn’t happen right?
Obviously wish the Murphy situation went down differently but let's not act like he's in the same stratosphere as a player like Jack Myers. That initial post was clearly trolling/baiting for a reaction.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:28 am
jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:45 am It's not hard to stick an iphone in front of a 20 year old or coaches face for 5 minutes and ask them how practice went.
You're right, it's not that hard, so why are so many other teams — including those in the Big Ten — not doing it? Could it be because they don't really care about lacrosse that much? Or that all there many more AD employees you obsess over don't actually have much or anything to do with lacrosse operations? That can't be true can it?
flalax22 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:03 am
NElaxtalent wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:19 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:38 pm Georgetown is out recruiting just about everyone these days.

I don’t see a Jack Myers or an Owen Grant on Hopkins’ roster,
though lets see what happens with this incoming class.
But Owen Murphy WAS on Hopkins roster and he now has a Championship ring on a team he was a key part of.

Just sayin'...
Still a hard one to figure out. I suspect PM was instituting a culture change and Murphy who by all accounts infractions were minor was the sacrificial lamb. Subsequently many other players have been kept on for much worse including racial incidents. At least he didn’t go to the Jays rival, score a huge goal point to his Maryland jersey and mock the Jays bench. At least that didn’t happen right?
Obviously wish the Murphy situation went down differently but let's not act like he's in the same stratosphere as a player like Jack Myers. That initial post was clearly trolling/baiting for a reaction.
as far as murphy goes the standards are different at homewood

https://dailycollegian.com/2002/04/18-a ... land-riot/
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://laxallstars.com/important-divis ... -matchups/

quint has North Carolina as the key February matchup for us.

We didn't play any tuesday games last year. I don't know what UNC's record is on tuesday road games w/their current staff.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:03 am Still a hard one to figure out. I suspect PM was instituting a culture change and Murphy who by all accounts infractions were minor was the sacrificial lamb. Subsequently many other players have been kept on for much worse including racial incidents. At least he didn’t go to the Jays rival, score a huge goal point to his Maryland jersey and mock the Jays bench. At least that didn’t happen right?
Haha, I was in the opposing coaching box when he did something very similar after scoring in OT...

That brash/colorful "celebration" was always part of him. Always seemed to lack the humble gene.

Caveat emptor indeed.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:57 am https://laxallstars.com/important-divis ... -matchups/

quint has North Carolina as the key February matchup for us.

We didn't play any tuesday games last year. I don't know what UNC's record is on tuesday road games w/their current staff.
Don't think he's wrong with that analysis. UNC is probably the weakest of the blue bloods that Hop plays this year (figure they'd be picked fifth in the ACC? UVa, ND, Duke, 'Cuse, UNC seems right to me). And a win is probably needed for a realistic shot at a tourney bid (assuming the other games go largely as expected).
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I recently came across the 1998 UMD @ JHU game on youtube.

Is that afan uploading these?

It was fun to watch some of these guys. I started to really get into playing lacrosse a little after this time and watching tapes of the midfielders of this time made me really interested in shooting on the run. That seemed like such a cool skill. A.J. Haugen and Brian Zeller were two that I watched. Haugen did things that nobody else did.

Brian Carcaterra played great in this game, from what I watched. He shows a ton of skill outside the cage and makes a lot of difficult passes along with a lot of saves.
a fan

Post by a fan »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:59 pm I recently came across the 1998 UMD @ JHU game on youtube.

Yessir. Finally got a VCR tape converter and have moved into old tapes I have on hand after uploading all the DVD's Time Warner made for me.

Trying to salvage some pretty great lacrosse history.

I've said it before, but one of you connected Hop alums need to do this for the Hopkins archives before they turn to dust. I can only imagine some of the game film in there.....can picture games from the 60's and 70's just sitting there, disintegrating.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

My only exposure to JHU from this era is a tape I had of the 1999 semi vs. UVA and the 2000 semi vs. Syracuse. Maybe since those are John Haus teams you might separate them from the Tony Seaman teams, but there were a lot of the same players from this 1998 game and the 1999 semifinal. Rob Doerr played great on Andrew Whipple in this game.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

On the recruiting rankings front - Hopkins had two 4* in the just released Top 50 for the class of '23 - Gabe Sorichetti - previously not assigned any stars lept up to #31 while Jimmy Ayers is at #34.
In terms of BIG rivals (I easily could have missed one or two)
Maryland has one 5* and two 4*
Ohio State has one 5*
Penn State has one 5*
Rutgers has one 4*
Michigan has three 4*
Tons of Ivy and ACC love (Princeton has 5 of the first 25 and if not for the OSU and PSU recruit and 2 Georgetown recruits - every 5* is either ACC or Ivy)

Edit - to be clear all of those programs most assuredly have more than that number of 4*s above - that's only in the Top 50
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:02 am On the recruiting rankings front - Hopkins had two 4* in the just released Top 50 for the class of '23 - Gabe Sorichetti - previously not assigned any stars lept up to #31 while Jimmy Ayers is at #34.
Ohio State has one 5*
Penn State has one 5*
Rutgers has one 4*
Michigan has three 4*
Tons of Ivy and ACC love (Princeton has 5 of the first 25 and if not for the OSU and PSU recruit and 2 Georgetown recruits - every 5* is either ACC or Ivy)
At this point I wonder if we could look at a cross analysis of transfer portal (for graduate students really as the portal has been around before Covid driven 5th years) and see if we could see any relationship between commitments and usage of the portal under the Covid era extra year regime. Just wondering. Would obviously have to account for having MD being a reigning champ as that’s like a magnet for recruits.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:59 pm I recently came across the 1998 UMD @ JHU game on youtube.

It was fun to watch some of these guys. I started to really get into playing lacrosse a little after this time and watching tapes of the midfielders of this time made me really interested in shooting on the run. That seemed like such a cool skill. A.J. Haugen and Brian Zeller were two that I watched. Haugen did things that nobody else did.

Brian Carcaterra played great in this game, from what I watched. He shows a ton of skill outside the cage and makes a lot of difficult passes along with a lot of saves.
Man, what a blast from the past. This was the real start of lax on TV with Garceau and Mills opening up the broadcast. Thanks for digging that one up.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:16 am
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:02 am On the recruiting rankings front - Hopkins had two 4* in the just released Top 50 for the class of '23 - Gabe Sorichetti - previously not assigned any stars lept up to #31 while Jimmy Ayers is at #34.
Ohio State has one 5*
Penn State has one 5*
Rutgers has one 4*
Michigan has three 4*
At this point I wonder if we could look at a cross analysis of transfer portal (for graduate students really as the portal has been around before Covid driven 5th years) and see if we could see any relationship between commitments and usage of the portal under the Covid era extra year regime. Just wondering. Would obviously have to account for having MD being a reigning champ as that’s like a magnet for recruits.
Might also make sense for incoming recruits to be disproportionately be going Ivy because the Ivies don't have bloated rosters with 5 years of players on them. More opportunity to play. Just a theory.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ohio State has one 5*
Penn State has one 5*
Rutgers has one 4*
Michigan has three 4*

Edit - to be clear all of those programs most assuredly have more than that number of 4*s above - that's only in the Top 50
The ivies have academics, the state schools have coeds and the bro campus life, the mid majors have bucolic campuses and flocks of Patagonia clad cuties, and this generation of recruits has no living memory of watching Hopkins compete for national titles. PM, JC and JK have their work cut out.

Congrats to Wes Moore. Great story for Hopkins athletics and the university.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:16 am
Ohio State has one 5*
Penn State has one 5*
Rutgers has one 4*
Michigan has three 4*
This is a case study of one school but the portal impacted Rutgers recruiting IMO and negated what should have been momentum on that front. Coming off quarterfinals and Final Four appearances in 2021 and 2022, they should have absolutely killed it with top recruits on the recruiting trail for the two classes that committed the following Septembers (HS classes '23 and '24). But it was more of the same. Only two 4-stars in those classes combined and the lone ranked player is the brother of a current player. They had another one but he flipped to Syracuse, not exactly an upgrade. Zero 4-stars in the class of '24 coming off the program's first ever FF appearance. If getting to the Final Four doesn't help recruiting at all (in fact, it's going in the wrong direction — their '22 class was better than the two that followed), you have to wonder if something else is going on. Their fans will claim Brecht doesn't go after the highly ranked players to make themselves feel better about not getting many of them but I assure you that is not true. He wants them just like every other coach.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Deion flipped a five star.

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_foot ... 2_38373403

This is what we need. A coach who can flip five stars. It's been done to us enough times.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:38 am Deion flipped a five star.

This is what we need. A coach who can flip five stars. It's been done to us enough times.
deion flips the #1 cb and got the last one to go to jackson state. hire petro?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

we tried the raise the banners thing before the games are played 10+ years ago and it failed repeatedly. It's an approach Gait is employing right now at cuse and we'll see how their fan base reacts in a social media age if they're not alpha dogs immediately. If PM has success this year the kids will follow.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:15 am

deion flips the #1 cb and got the last one to go to jackson state. hire petro?
Nah. Let's just hire Prime Time. I'm sure if the esteemed members of this message board put financial resources together, we can lure him away from Boulder. Let's make it happen!
smoova

Post by smoova »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:48 am This is a case study of one school but the portal impacted Rutgers recruiting IMO and negated what should have been momentum on that front. Coming off quarterfinals and Final Four appearances in 2021 and 2022, they should have absolutely killed it with top recruits on the recruiting trail for the two classes that committed the following Septembers (HS classes '23 and '24). But it was more of the same. Only two 4-stars in those classes combined and the lone ranked player is the brother of a current player. They had another one but he flipped to Syracuse, not exactly an upgrade. Zero 4-stars in the class of '24 coming off the program's first ever FF appearance. If getting to the Final Four doesn't help recruiting at all (in fact, it's going in the wrong direction — their '22 class was better than the two that followed), you have to wonder if something else is going on. Their fans will claim Brecht doesn't go after the highly ranked players to make themselves feel better about not getting many of them but I assure you that is not true. He wants them just like every other coach.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - high schoolers are watching how coaches use the transfer portal. Fanlax posters can prattle away about "the best players want to compete against the best" but highly-ranked recruits have no interest in squaring off with 27 year-old transfers for playing time ... even in scenic Piscataway.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

smoova wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:25 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:48 am This is a case study of one school but the portal impacted Rutgers recruiting IMO and negated what should have been momentum on that front. Coming off quarterfinals and Final Four appearances in 2021 and 2022, they should have absolutely killed it with top recruits on the recruiting trail for the two classes that committed the following Septembers (HS classes '23 and '24). But it was more of the same. Only two 4-stars in those classes combined and the lone ranked player is the brother of a current player. They had another one but he flipped to Syracuse, not exactly an upgrade. Zero 4-stars in the class of '24 coming off the program's first ever FF appearance. If getting to the Final Four doesn't help recruiting at all (in fact, it's going in the wrong direction — their '22 class was better than the two that followed), you have to wonder if something else is going on. Their fans will claim Brecht doesn't go after the highly ranked players to make themselves feel better about not getting many of them but I assure you that is not true. He wants them just like every other coach.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - high schoolers are watching how coaches use the transfer portal. Fanlax posters can prattle away about "the best players want to compete against the best" but highly-ranked recruits have no interest in squaring off with 27 year-old transfers for playing time ... even in scenic Piscataway.
you don't think maryland's gonna get recruits? duke? unc? notre dame? g'town? tosu? where are they all gonna go?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”