Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 12:00 PM

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 12:00 PM

Post by molo »

That attack comparison is not close, and I’m a UVA and Baltimore guy.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:09 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:00 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:55 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:44 pm
Finster wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:37 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:37 pm Top 5 team of all time!

Does that make Georgetown the best 6-ranked team ever?

Any team that loses a game goes to the back of the bus. The list starts and ends with undefeated teams.

ND is a great team but not in the conversation.
Watching you pick against the Irish all year has been glorious. I know this one chaps your ass 😂

This team would go neck and neck with ‘22 Maryland any day of the week and my money would be on the Irish. Show me any other team in history that got consistent midfield production from their 3rd line. Most don’t even get it from their 2’s.
This Notre Dame team was great and one of the best champions in recent memory for sure

Here was their production from non-starting midfielders: 51 goals, 24 assists

Here was Maryland’s production from non starting-midfielders in 2022: 77 goals, 22 assists

Maryland had more goals from their 2nd midfield onwards in 2022 than Notre Dame had points total

Maryland also had 32 goals from short sticks, faceoff, and long poles. Notre Dame had 9 such goals

Again, amazing team. Their depth was very strong throughout the tournament and a key piece of their run. It also got a little more play than probably necessary because there simply ran out of things to talk about with this ND team.

The 22 Terps were even deeper.
Terps also played 2 more games and had I believe a lesser strength of schedule than ND this year, who had the best tournament resume ever. Not taking anything away from a phenomenal ‘22 maryland team, I just don’t think this ND team is far from that at all.
2 more games doesn't make up for 26 more goals and 24 more points. The two teams also played virtually identical tournament paths; play-in game in R1, ND played 8 seed this year but UVA for MD in 22 was really the 8th seed (if not better), 5 seed in the Quarterfinals, 7 seed in the Final Four. Notre Dame was more dominant on championship weekend; Maryland more dominant prior.

You're claim at first wasn't that ND isn't far at all, but that you'd take them to win, citing how no one has the depth this team did. Maryland did have more depth, substantially so.

This ND team again, is amazing. Out of 10 games, they'd absolutely take a couple from Maryland. But as dominant as they were, Maryland was, in fact, more dominant
We’ll never know. My main point was that to completely dismiss this team from the conversation is laughable. He is a salty cuse fan though, so I guess I was wasting my time.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:13 pm The question,

who beats ND next year,
I don’t see anyone.
Navy 8-)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The thing about this Notre Dame team … this team truly played as a TEAM. Sometimes I would see the Irish make a jaw dropping play, only to find out that the guy who scored the goal had a whopping 8 goals (or 2 goals today). Everyone got involved. I think that was the true greatness of the Kavanaughs … they got everyone involved.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They lose their 2nd leading scorer/main initiator on offense in Pat Kav, their top 2 scorers from the midfield in Dobson and McClane, and about 50% of their scoring production in total

They also lose 2 starters at close defense + multiple short sticks

And of course they lose Entenmann in the cage

That's more than half the starting lineup. Will they still be good? Certainly; you got elite talent still there, plus a decent chunk returning. But losing all that plus as we've seen going for 3 in a row is incredibly, incredibly taxing means it'd be presumptuous to assume no one can stop them next year
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

ND loses a lot like many others, but also returns a lot. Angrick is coming off an injury year and has the potential to be great. Busenkill came on strong at the end of the year. There’s no one in the country who’s a better athlete than Faison. I agree they are not the team to beat, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them championship weekend again.

Cornell in my mind is returning the most of anyone. Kirst is my tewaaraton favorite for ‘25
publaxguy

Post by publaxguy »

Thoughts from the ship :

notre dame gets defacto fans out of Catholics, gingers and just generally pale people. Terps fanbase draws exclusively dumb Marylanders. Green shirts outnumbered red at least 3-1. Great to see the game continuing to grow

ND seems to have adopted the rangers goal song because they love Chris so much. Wonder if the Indianans know they sing a *gasp* New York City fight song? Yes I know the Ks origin don’t @ me

Terps had not a single favorable matchup today except at the faceoff. Spanos looked like a sick dog out there, needed Erksa back in the attack lineup to provide a burst. Timeout wasted 2 minutes left in the fourth? No urgency or game plan from the terps on offense. McNaney didn’t take a single shot to warm up after the rain delay or at halftime ??? What we doing coach T?

ND ‘24 one of the greatest lacrosse teams of all time. Extremely complete roster. Absolutely mauled MD today. Hats off
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

publaxguy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:41 pm Thoughts from the ship :
McNaney didn’t take a single shot to warm up after the rain delay or at halftime ??? What we doing coach T?
I saw him warming up both times?
blx9

Post by blx9 »

molo wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:15 pm That attack comparison is not close, and I’m a UVA and Baltimore guy.
I do think the L.I. brothers get the nod. But I think it’s definitely closer than it appears today. 6 great attackmen
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

publaxguy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:41 pm Thoughts from the ship :

notre dame gets defacto fans out of Catholics, gingers and just generally pale people. Terps fanbase draws exclusively dumb Marylanders. Green shirts outnumbered red at least 3-1. Great to see the game continuing to grow

ND seems to have adopted the rangers goal song because they love Chris so much. Wonder if the Indianans know they sing a *gasp* New York City fight song? Yes I know the Ks origin don’t @ me

Terps had not a single favorable matchup today except at the faceoff. Spanos looked like a sick dog out there, needed Erksa back in the attack lineup to provide a burst. Timeout wasted 2 minutes left in the fourth? No urgency or game plan from the terps on offense. McNaney didn’t take a single shot to warm up after the rain delay or at halftime ??? What we doing coach T?

ND ‘24 one of the greatest lacrosse teams of all time. Extremely complete roster. Absolutely mauled MD today. Hats off
Dumb marylanders? I am offended. :lol: I can totally see Conan O'Brien cheering on ND though.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

You can always tell a Harvard man.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:22 pm They lose their 2nd leading scorer/main initiator on offense in Pat Kav, their top 2 scorers from the midfield in Dobson and McClane, and about 50% of their scoring production in total

That's more than half the starting lineup. Will they still be good? Certainly; you got elite talent still there, plus a decent chunk returning. But losing all that plus as we've seen going for 3 in a row is incredibly, incredibly taxing means it'd be presumptuous to assume no one can stop them next year
they lose a bunch, doubt the going narrative is they're even money vs the field.

not for nothing, but the going rate on fanlax was shorting the domers preseason and the g'town game didn't help. lot of tough to repeat fans. at some point, many returned to the bandwagon, but preseason prognostications tend to be bad in general.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:44 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:22 pm They lose their 2nd leading scorer/main initiator on offense in Pat Kav, their top 2 scorers from the midfield in Dobson and McClane, and about 50% of their scoring production in total

they lose a bunch, doubt the going narrative is they're even money vs the field.

not for nothing, but the going rate on fanlax was shorting the domers preseason and the g'town game didn't help. lot of tough to repeat fans. at some point, many returned to the bandwagon, but preseason prognostications tend to be bad in general.
can't speak to what the narrative on here was. I had him 2nd preseason and picked them to make the Final Four

I also picked Duke to win the title so, you know, shows ya what I know
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

They are losing quite a lot -- at least eight impact players ranging from best goalie in the country (Entenmann) to two-time Tewaaraton finalist attackman (Pat Kav) and including Conlin, Burgmaster and Parlette on defense, and three great offensive midfielders in Dobson, McLane, and Gray. But their attack unit should still be elite with Taylor and Chris Kav; they've got one of the country's best FOGOs; still have their top shorty in Ramsey; one of the best close defensemen in Lyght; and a few talented big, strong and fast midfielders.

The biggest question mark will be goalie -- top recruiting ratings don't always translate to success in the net so we'll see. But Notre Dame could be a team that starts off with some flaws and comes together very strongly by the end of the season and makes a deep run/has a chance at a 3-peat depending upon how the goalie situation pans out. And it doesn't seem like there's an obvious "superteam" next year to steamroll everyone so the Irish could be right back in the mix.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

ND is a powerhouse - hate to say it - but they have the resources and academics to lure the top players - think they will be solid natty champs for near future.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

molo wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:46 pm A joke but I get your point. Going undefeated, especially now, is extremely difficult. That a fairly good team could take down a juggernaut like this year’s ND demonstrates how many quality teams are out there.
I also like to see an NC that is clearly the best team, not just a good team that gets hot in May. In college football, a loss can maybe hurt too much. In the NFL, a loss doesn’t hurt as much as maybe it should. I like a happy medium. He’ll, I wanted UVA to win the NC this year, but does a team with five losses deserve the crown? ND was unquestionably the best team thus year and simply used the tournament to put an exclamation point on their obvious superiority.
It’s also impossible to compare this fifth year mess with seasons that don’t
Have the Covid nonsense.

And notwithstanding the Cornell loss before when shut down I still have to
Wonder how 06 is different without involvement from Mike Magnum and Krystal Nifong…(intentional)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:24 pm You can always tell a Harvard man.
You mean man or boy
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Post by 1766 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:24 pm You can always tell a Harvard man.
Do you mean an, "I went to school in Boston" man?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

You couldn't ask for a better start for MD. When ND went up 3-2 but the Terps responded to tie it at 3, I though, "Ok. They responded and this game will settle in." After the game, a couple of us were talking and trying to figure out where the Terps lost hold of the rope. There wasn't a single play that we could recall where we thought "If they'd made that play, they would have gotten back in the game." Yes, you'd love to see Logan make a save or two, but even then, it didn't seem like that would have stemmed the tide. Notre Dame was too deep, too experienced, and too talented. You can watch Tills' press conference, and he pretty much says that.

As for the 2024 ND vs 2022 MD team comparison, from a metric perspective (kudos to LaxRef):

2022 Maryland finished 1st in the nation in opponent adjusted offense, defense, face-off, and goal tending.
2024 Notre Dame finished 1st in the nation in opponent adjusted offense and defense, fourth in adjusted face-off, and second in adjusted goal tending.

I get recency bias, but 2022 wasn't exactly that long ago, people. It's not even like trying to compare the 85 Bears to the 72 Dolphins across two different eras of the NFL.
af.health

Post by af.health »

it's crazy that Albany gave them the toughest game in the tournament.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”