New England West-1 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
ctlaxfan99

Re: New England West-1 2019

Post by ctlaxfan99 »

pcowlax wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:35 pm My wife went there and that is news to me. I can’t imagine you could get away with more at, say, Choate than Westminster.
Westy is a lot more strict with their punishments than most other West-1 schools. I know absolutely nothing about the true numbers, but what I have heard from parents and students is that there has been a significant increase in students expelled every year in the last 5-10 years or so. In most cases, these students would have been given second chances at other West-1 schools.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

pcowlax wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:57 pm Prime time, are you suggesting there were Westy lax player dismissed from the team this year for disciplinary reasons? Or that this happens regularly there compared to other league schools? If so, you must know something that the many WEST-1 folks who have been posting for 10-15 years on LP and then here don’t know.
I’m saying that the reputation for discipline depresses applications and interest. Yes
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

ctlaxfan99 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:18 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:35 pm My wife went there and that is news to me. I can’t imagine you could get away with more at, say, Choate than Westminster.
Westy is a lot more strict with their punishments than most other West-1 schools. I know absolutely nothing about the true numbers, but what I have heard from parents and students is that there has been a significant increase in students expelled every year in the last 5-10 years or so. In most cases, these students would have been given second chances at other West-1 schools.
Caught w a Juul at Brunswick or Bury probably nothing happens. At worst they take the Juul and give you a detention. At Westy serious consequences
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

No one would argue with Bury, that isn’t really the bar for comparison for strictness of discipline.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

pcowlax wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:51 pm No one would argue with Bury, that isn’t really the bar for comparison for strictness of discipline.
Ouch pcowlax- Way to root for NE West teams when it’s convenient and then say their success is based on lower standards.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Huh? This whole discussion (started by someone else with wink wink insinuations) has been about what schools have more severe or lenient tolerances for discipline. See above for a ripping of Choate. Salisbury’s success is based on their players, Westy wouldn’t be competitive with them no matter what their policies are, it is absurd to think a significant cohort of top players would have gone there but chose not to because of concerns about getting kicked out. What does any of this have to do with rooting for West-1?
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

My apologies pcowlax I had you confused with primetime. I didn’t think that was your position.

There should be a rule that you can’t quote more than two responses at a time.
MartletDadlet

Post by MartletDadlet »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:25 pm
Caught w a Juul at Brunswick or Bury probably nothing happens. At worst they take the Juul and give you a detention. At Westy serious consequences

I don't know how it compares to other programs, but Westy has seen, in the last couple of years, the leading scorer, the starting FOGO, the best prospect in the class all removed from the team. I mention the positions not to identify young men who have made poor decisions (and paid dearly) but to concur that regardless of the importance to the team, Westy has punished poor behavior. Not sure if it is school related or coach related, but, yes, Westy LAX has a well deserved reputation of high expectations and rather painful consequences.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

MartletDadlet, were any of those dismissals under the current coaching regime? I know the current HC is somewhat new and seems like he is dedicated to developing the program.

Anyhow, back to NE West 1 lacrosse. Salisbury looks like a force to be reckoned with! I watched the Wick game vs BL and wasn't impressed with the competition but they still managed an 8 goal win, and then put up an impressive win vs DA (which I didn't see any of). AOF is 2-0 with wins vs MAPS and Gov's. Throw Taft in there and things are shaping up nicely for some good competition at the top. Love seeing Wick and Bury heading down south and representing NEW1!
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

Each school has a different disciplinary process. Schools such as westy or Hotchkiss are one strike whereas many other schools are two strike. So at a school like westy a kid who gets caught drinking or doing drugs is kicked no questions asked instead of just a suspension as is the case in the majority of schools. Not excusing the poor decision making by these kids, but if every school had a similar system, players leaving before the season would become more commonplace.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

MartletDadlet wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:00 pm
PrimeTime21 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:25 pm

I don't know how it compares to other programs, but Westy has seen, in the last couple of years, the leading scorer, the starting FOGO, the best prospect in the class all removed from the team. I mention the positions not to identify young men who have made poor decisions (and paid dearly) but to concur that regardless of the importance to the team, Westy has punished poor behavior. Not sure if it is school related or coach related, but, yes, Westy LAX has a well deserved reputation of high expectations and rather painful consequences.
Thank you.

I'm not a hater. I want Westy to do well. But as we all know too well, lax is a very small community. Word gets around.

If the parent does their due diligence, If I have a very talented kid who isn't an Eagle Scout, I'm sure as hell not about to spend $60k clean dollars a year for a potentially traumatic outcome. At many other schools, they let the boys be boys as long as their heart is in the right place and police are not involved.

As long as Westy is as strict/draconian/whatever you want to call it, they have a very real ceiling on success.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Westy didn't seem to have a problem recruiting and retaining talent under the previous head coach, and I don't think the administration's views of transgressions have changed since then.

But more about lacrosse. I have to say I was impressed with DA's defense on Saturday. Big, fast and aggressive. Their goalie and fogo are also very good. That's a pretty good combination. If they can figure out how to out the ball in the net just a little more they will be dangerous.
grelch

Post by grelch »

I watched a chunk of the Wick v DA game and it did seem like DA were profligate with their shooting. Lots of clean shots off target. And Brunswick did a good job of controlling the ball. Their game management seemed very good. Having said that, I didn’t get the impression that it was a particularly intense game relative to their usual contests.
Last edited by grelch on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

If predictions for High School Lax are looked down upon please let me know and I'll delete this... until further notice:

Salisbury 15 V Haverford 7
Until they give me a reason to doubt them, 'Bury will be the favorite. Took GP to town, Haverford lost to CA 11-8, I think Salisbury is better.

Brunswick 15 V Kent 2
No Comment

Deerfield 10 V Berkshire 7
Berkshire is untested. Put up 18 vs NMH, but that's not much of a benchmark. DA lost pretty big to 'Wick... which I think sets them up well for a win vs Berk.

AOF 12 V Belmont Hill 8
Interesting start for AOF. Two good wins, we'll see if they can keep their momentum.

Taft 10 vs MAPS 9
No idea here. After AOF beat MAPS, I think Taft can as well... but MAPS might be motivated to prove different. I think this will be a good opening test for Taft.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

TP plays Loomis on Wednesday also. I think that could be a very good game. Loomis seems to be on the rise, hoping Nasty can give us on site color. I’ll go with TP by 3, 11-8.

As for the comment earlier, from the sidelines, the intensity of the DA Brunswick game still felt pretty high. But maybe the fact that Brunswick has won the last two (now three) in a row means that there is less build up. I hope not, has been such a great rivalry.

Yes DA missed the cage a few times but I thought they were very patient in their shooting. They didn’t take a lot of bad outside shots, but rather waited for higher percentage shots from inside.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RumorMill wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:17 pm If predictions for High School Lax are looked down upon please let me know and I'll delete this... until further notice:

Until they give me a reason to doubt them, 'Bury will be the favorite. Took GP to town, Haverford lost to CA 11-8, I think Salisbury is better.

Brunswick 15 V Kent 2
No Comment

Berkshire is untested. Put up 18 vs NMH, but that's not much of a benchmark. DA lost pretty big to 'Wick... which I think sets them up well for a win vs Berk.

AOF 12 V Belmont Hill 8
Interesting start for AOF. Two good wins, we'll see if they can keep their momentum.

Taft 10 vs MAPS 9
No idea here. After AOF beat MAPS, I think Taft can as well... but MAPS might be motivated to prove different. I think this will be a good opening test for Taft.

I think predictions are always welcome; it gives us something to debate, and after the games, applaud or ridicule! I don't know enough about NEWest 1 to add much substance to your calls. I'll be interested to see the score of Salisbury and Haverford.

Just when I think I know something, I realize I don't know jack. I did not know St. Paul's MD would beat McDonogh for example. These early HS lax games are difficult to forecast....the variables are almost endless at the high school level...the motivations, the energy level, senior leadership, injuries, etc... At season's end, the records show who is who.

Good luck to your teams.
QuickStick1

Post by QuickStick1 »

ctbagataway wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:56 am TP plays Loomis on Wednesday also. I think that could be a very good game. Loomis seems to be on the rise, hoping Nasty can give us on site color. I’ll go with TP by 3, 11-8.
I hoping Loomis can do well but they had an injury to one of their best midfielders in the Nobles game, had to leave in an ambulance. Not sure how long or the severity of the injury but this could explain the weaker than expected score in the Millbrook game. Depth could be an issue for the Pelicans. If he recovers I take Loomis in the TP game by 1 or 2.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

RumorMill wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:17 pm If predictions for High School Lax are looked down upon please let me know and I'll delete this... until further notice:

Brunswick 15 V Kent 2
No Comment

AOF 12 V Belmont Hill 8

Taft 10 vs MAPS 9
Predictions are very welcome. Even with the changes in gambling laws, they haven't yet set up a sports book at Mohegan to take action on high school lax games so fire away!
Ox77

Post by Ox77 »

So, where's a lax dad supposed to get NE West scores these days? Twitter? Is there anything like the old site that was close to real-time? It's killing me!
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

It really is brutal, Ox. Inside lacrosse has some scores posted but nowhere close to real time and not all scores are posted. Twitter is your best bet. We might need a NE West 1 twitter handle to repost the score updates from the individual school accounts. The MIAA has this. Hmmm. What if a few of us shared the account and followed a handful of schools each? Wouldn't be much of a burden. Anyone in with me? @newest1lax here we come.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”