North Carolina 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: North Carolina 2023

Post by Finster »

lilax wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:54 pm For a long time I have felt that UNC usually recruits one of the best classes year after year, but those pieces have rarely fit together. They bring in high profile guys, but they never seem to never have the right combination or balance of dodgers and finshers on offense, and on ball and off ball players on defense.

This ultimately falls on coaches to figure out.

Again, I’d point out the lack of hustle by their attack getting to the end line first. That’s almost always an indication of a broader culture problem
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:25 pm
Lewisfrederick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:27 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:06 am How many of the "move on from Breschi" posters are UNC alums, versus trolls?

Personally, I'd be surprised if Breschi isn't renewed.

I'd also be surprised if UNC isn't top 10 within the next two years again.
I’m a UNC alumni. Why would a troll want Breschi gone?
I don't know, other than their posts, why some Hopkins alums wanted Petro gone and some wanted him to stay, no matter what the results. Same for Starsia.

I only have my own opinions.

But I think people who are not fans of a particular program should be viewed with more suspicion than those who have no such allegiance.

Controversy tends to advantage everyone else but the program being discussed, so my view is beware the trolls.

Of course, that's just my opinion, from my own cheap seats,, not some commandment from on high as the troll finster wants to suggest.

Can you take your patronizing down a notch or five? You’re like that meme where your BS gets called out and you retreat into the bushes hoping no one notices. Unlike what Joe Willie said, yiur lacrosse posts aren’t informative but they are highly judgmental.

You parachuted onto the UNC thread (did you attend, MDLAX? If not, shouldn’t you have shut up, according to your rules?). You told others that unless the poster attended Carolina, they were “trolls”, whatever tf that means.

I went to Syracuse. I played against teams, schools, and coaches that I have opinions about. I don’t think I’ve ever read a post here at Fanlax and wondered what college the poster attended. But for some reason, you do. It’s a pedantic insecure desire to control dialogue.

If you’re not down with discussion, why don’t you stick to your politics thread and leave us alone? Seems fair.
Sheesh, no I certainly didn't say that someone posting an opinion is a troll simply because they didn't attend that school.

But I do think that if someone didn't attend the school or have some other positive affiliation, eg had a family member play there, is a current parent, etc, then a little more discretion about being offensive to those who are is called for...that's just my POV, apparently one you don't share, as you do have a pattern of making offensive statements on other schools' threads.

But that doesn't mean a non-fan shouldn't post, shouldn't contribute, just that the reader should be allowed to understand where the poster is coming from, examine whether there are motivations behind it that aren't actually in that program's interest.

By all means I'd be interested, and I'd assume others would as well, in your views about your time at Syracuse, the coaches you played for, the coaches and teams you played against...share away! (you don't need my approval, of course)

But dumping on opponents as an anonymous poster can easily become troll-like. My opinion, freely shared in return.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:07 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:06 am How many of the "move on from Breschi" posters are UNC alums, versus trolls?

I don't know, other than their posts, why some Hopkins alums wanted Petro gone and some wanted him to stay, no matter what the results. Same for Starsia.

But I think people who are not fans of a particular program should be viewed with more suspicion than those who have no such allegiance.

Controversy tends to advantage everyone else but the program being discussed, so my view is beware the trolls.

Of course, that's just my opinion, from my own cheap seats,, not some commandment from on high as the troll finster wants to suggest.

Can you take your patronizing down a notch or five? You’re like that meme where your BS gets called out and you retreat into the bushes hoping no one notices. Unlike what Joe Willie said, yiur lacrosse posts aren’t informative but they are highly judgmental.

You parachuted onto the UNC thread (did you attend, MDLAX? If not, shouldn’t you have shut up, according to your rules?). You told others that unless the poster attended Carolina, they were “trolls”, whatever tf that means.

I went to Syracuse. I played against teams, schools, and coaches that I have opinions about. I don’t think I’ve ever read a post here at Fanlax and wondered what college the poster attended. But for some reason, you do. It’s a pedantic insecure desire to control dialogue.

If you’re not down with discussion, why don’t you stick to your politics thread and leave us alone? Seems fair.
Sheesh, no I certainly didn't say that someone posting an opinion is a troll simply because they didn't attend that school.

But I do think that if someone didn't attend the school or have some other positive affiliation, eg had a family member play there, is a current parent, etc, then a little more discretion about being offensive to those who are is called for...that's just my POV, apparently one you don't share, as you do have a pattern of making offensive statements on other schools' threads.

But that doesn't mean a non-fan shouldn't post, shouldn't contribute, just that the reader should be allowed to understand where the poster is coming from, examine whether there are motivations behind it that aren't actually in that program's interest.

By all means I'd be interested, and I'd assume others would as well, in your views about your time at Syracuse, the coaches you played for, the coaches and teams you played against...share away! (you don't need my approval, of course)

But dumping on opponents as an anonymous poster can easily become troll-like. My opinion, freely shared in return.
I think your original post came across as trollish. I can see why he reacted negatively.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

10 10 2 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:13 pm

I think your original post came across as trollish. I can see why he reacted negatively.
:D Note, it wasn't directed at him...did you think it was directed at you?

Are you a UNC fan...calling for firing of Breschi?
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:15 pm
I think you have a bad habit of calling people who you might disagree with as acting in bad faith (i.e. trolls). Plenty of actual fans, and yes even alums, aren't happy with Breschi. Maybe try toning down the rhetoric.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

10 10 2 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:19 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:15 pm
I think you have a bad habit of calling people who you might disagree with as acting in bad faith (i.e. trolls). Plenty of actual fans, and yes even alums, aren't happy with Breschi. Maybe try toning down the rhetoric.
Nope, if you read my posts above, I think it's perfectly reasonable for those who care deeply about a program to criticize a current coaching regime, want change, want "better". Totally respect that motivation.

Are you a UNC fan, alum, parent,...calling for firing of Breschi?

I just think that understanding where someone is coming from matters.

Note, some posters don't have a positive motivation...IMO, that's trolling.

Which is all part of smack talk, just want to know what color the jersey is...
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:23 pm
Yes. Don't call me a troll for it. I want the program to succeed and don't see that happening with Breschi. Other people who maybe aren't fans, but are giving their honest opinion of the direction of the program and whether a coaching change would help, aren't trolls either. Don't be surprised when people react negatively when you accuse them of acting in bad faith when they're not.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

10 10 2 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:32 pm
Yes. Don't call me a troll for it. I want the program to succeed and don't see that happening with Breschi. Other people who maybe aren't fans, but are giving their honest opinion of the direction of the program and whether a coaching change would help, aren't trolls either. Don't be surprised when people react negatively when you accuse them of acting in bad faith when they're not.
guy has leaned into trolling as it was advocated for on the site. my guess, he had more friends than enemies, and was ok with folks getting censored, etc. i used to like debates with him at times, tho we disagreed more than once. good luck.
Finster

Post by Finster »

You really are insufferable. I’m sure I’m not the only Fanlax poster who feels that way.

What ‘offensive statements’ have I made about other schools? On their threads? That I saw Carolina lose three possessions because their attack got outhustled by Virginia’s defense on out of bounds shots? Do you think that’s ‘offensive’?

And not to be outdone, it’s a ‘pattern’. Cheese and crackers, dude. In-freaking-sufferable. I’d say more but I realize it’s not tolerated.

Try to talk lacrosse, MD. Stick to the topic. All were discussing is can/should Joe hold on to the job. I like Joe, I know him. I also see a team in search of identity. Discuss that.
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:40 pm
guy has leaned into trolling as it was advocated for on the site. my guess, he had more friends than enemies, and was ok with folks getting censored, etc. i used to like debates with him at times, tho we disagreed more than once. good luck.

On UNC lacrosse, I see that Breschi got the commitment of Owen Duffy from St. Anthony’s, who many consider the top recruit next year. That’s going to weigh in Joe’s favor, tbh.

When you get #1 though, expectations rise. Double edged sword.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:20 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:40 pm

On UNC lacrosse, I see that Breschi got the commitment of Owen Duffy from St. Anthony’s, who many consider the top recruit next year. That’s going to weigh in Joe’s favor, tbh.

+100
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:25 pm I don't know, other than their posts, why some Hopkins alums wanted Petro gone and some wanted him to stay, no matter what the results. Same for Starsia.

There are always people who fan the flames and relish in other teams' controversies but when it comes to coaching changes in particular I'm not sure fans' opinions are a whole lot more valuable than those of an outsider. Fans of a team are often too close to the situation to have an objective view. You'll often have guys who will stand by a coach no matter what because there may or may not be an actual personal relationship or history there. And then you'll have guys at the other end of the spectrum who irrationally want to fire the coach every five seconds. Most recently you saw that during the Hopkins and Syracuse coaching changes of course but it happens for pretty much every team in every sport, doesn't it? I don't think there's any reason to be more skeptical of an outsider's view unless you know that person already has a reputation for trolling. Granted, maybe that's the case here?

I don't really care what UNC does. Makes no difference to me. No dog in the fight. But if they miss the postseason again this year I think they'd be within their right to move in a new direction. His contract is up, the team is generally seems to be on a downward trajectory and bringing up the rear in the conference...maybe you part ways. It's that simple. Is it like totally clear cut and it'd be a travesty if they keep him? Don't think that's the case either. But coaches get let go all the time for less. They know what they're signing up for.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

As I said, I totally respect a sincere fan of a program being critical.
I'm not so sure of those who aren't fans, and what their intentions may be.
Call me skeptical.

But don't get me wrong, I too have made critical comments about players, coaches, programs, whatever on school threads where I don't have any allegiance, but I do try to be clear about where I'm coming from and I try to be respectful of those who see it the other way and could be offended.

It's a bit like being in the stands with my dad who would be very sharply critical of some player and I would nudge him and say, 'Pop, you don't know whether his mother is sitting in front of you...". It's a matter of tone. And note, his comments were as a very loyal fan...

Much worse is doing that in the other team's cheering section and making a real a-s of oneself for jollies...that's what I would call trolling in this context.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Watched a couple streams of St. Anthony's this season against Culver and Chaminade. Duffy definitely looks like the real deal. A future attack line of Matan, Pietremala, and Duffy sounds like it would be a ton of fun to watch.

You mentioned in an earlier post it looked like the Carolina players didn't want to be there. Not sure I agree. Effort-wise they looked better or even with Syracuse for most of the game. What was striking to me was the complete lack of discipline throughout the game. Low angle and ill-advised shots, completely unnecessary penalties, poor positioning on shot runouts and on face-off wings, unforced turnovers and poor passing on offense, ball watching on defense. Syracuse is a younger team and looked more disciplined than UNC. That's a bad sign.

It was striking to me when, during the broadcast, Quint said Breschi told him that they needed to work on ground balls after the UVA game. Ground balls and ground ball drills are something you harp on throughout the entire season when you're a coach. It shouldn't take getting worked over by the best teams to address that your team is woefully deficient at something as basic as 50-50 ground balls. Duke and UVA are both really good because their coaches are stressing the fundamentals from Day 1 and proactively maintaining them throughout the season. I think Carolina may have actually regressed since they played Syracuse in February.
Finster

Post by Finster »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:43 pm

Watched a couple streams of St. Anthony's this season against Culver and Chaminade. Duffy definitely looks like the real deal. A future attack line of Matan, Pietremala, and Duffy sounds like it would be a ton of fun to watch.

You mentioned in an earlier post it looked like the Carolina players didn't want to be there. Not sure I agree. Effort-wise they looked better or even with Syracuse for most of the game. What was striking to me was the complete lack of discipline throughout the game. Low angle and ill-advised shots, completely unnecessary penalties, poor positioning on shot runouts and on face-off wings, unforced turnovers and poor passing on offense, ball watching on defense. Syracuse is a younger team and looked more disciplined than UNC. That's a bad sign.

It was striking to me when, during the broadcast, Quint said Breschi told him that they needed to work on ground balls after the UVA game. Ground balls and ground ball drills are something you harp on throughout the entire season when you're a coach. It shouldn't take getting worked over by the best teams to address that your team is woefully deficient at something as basic as 50-50 ground balls. Duke and UVA are both really good because their coaches are stressing the fundamentals from Day 1 and proactively maintaining them throughout the season. I think Carolina may have actually regressed since they played Syracuse in February.

I agree that UNC looks to have regressed since the first Syracuse game.

Regarding this match, when I said it looked like they didn’t want to be there, that was a comment on their FOGO wing positioning. Syracuse’s wings seemed to be moving to every ball, and occasionally got the fast break because the Carolina wing wasn’t positioned to stop any forward movement.

On the completely unnecessary penalties, I actually can’t recall seeing a kid do what the Carolina kid to the Cuse player who was already on the ground! He actually pile drove the Cuse player who was grounded anyway. Who does that?!? Then, compounding mistakes, after Cuse scored the easy 6 on 4 EMO (with Carolina’s defense mindlessly ball watching), Joe inserts back into the game the very same kid who got the unnecessary roughness penalty!! C’mon Joe, you know better. Punish the kid. Bench him. Send a messsge to the rest of the squad there’s accountability for poor decisions. I don’t get it. Joe is a good man and knows better. But that’s the kind of message to a team that is unmistakable: zero accountability, boys, do what you want.

I was at the UVA/UNC game, and the Carolina attack got beaten to the end line three times by not sprinting. I don’t know, it’s not my team, but that’s the kind of stuff that makes you raise your eyebrows. I like to see teams reach their fullest potential, not squander it.

Duffy is the real deal. But like I said, Joe will be on the hot seat next year (assuming he’s re-signed) if the Heels aren’t markedly improved. You get the #1 recruit, you’re expected to win. Bottom line.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

If he’s re-signed he’s not going to be on the hot seat. They have the chance to move on right now, free of cost. They’re not going to pay to get rid of him and pay to hire a new coach next year. Either he’s gone this year or he’s at UNC for the long haul.
Finster

Post by Finster »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:49 pm If he’s re-signed he’s not going to be on the hot seat. They have the chance to move on right now, free of cost. They’re not going to pay to get rid of him and pay to hire a new coach next year. Either he’s gone this year or he’s at UNC for the long haul.

If he’s let go, what then becomes of Duffy? I assume he’s free to look around at that stage. Carolina’s AD will take it all in consideration. But maybe they offer Joe a one year extension? Or a two year deal, instead of five?

Notre Dame will have a lot to say about Joes future. I’m somewhat surprised the coaches poll has Carolina at 14.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Finster wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:59 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:49 pm If he’s re-signed he’s not going to be on the hot seat. They have the chance to move on right now, free of cost. They’re not going to pay to get rid of him and pay to hire a new coach next year. Either he’s gone this year or he’s at UNC for the long haul.

If he’s let go, what then becomes of Duffy? I assume he’s free to look around at that stage. Carolina’s AD will take it all in consideration. But maybe they offer Joe a one year extension? Or a two year deal, instead of five?

Notre Dame will have a lot to say about Joes future. I’m somewhat surprised the coaches poll has Carolina at 14.
Fin, what position did you play at Syracuse? From most of your expert analysis, I would guess either LSM, or SSDM given your attention to small things (that are big) like GB's, wing play and turnovers.
I hope you don't take my inquiry as prodding or personal, as it's just simply curiosity.
I played (rarely) attack in HS on Long Island and I stunk but loved to play.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

I thought a one or two year extension might be a good compromise considering Breschi's good reputation. Giving the guy a chance to fight for his job and right the ship seems fair. I don't really know how much precedent there is for that though; especially for lacrosse coaches.

I'm not an expert on all the recruiting rules but I'm pretty sure Duffy has already signed his NLI to play at UNC. I don't think you can back out of that even if the coach that recruited you leaves. Maybe he would be able to transfer after the fall semester (not sure about that). Who really knows if that's likely to happen though. I would hope anybody currently playing or coming to play for UNC would be excited for the future with a new coaching staff in the event Breschi does get fired, and be more likely to stay.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Carolina gets top recruits every year. Their current freshmen class right now had two Top 10 recruits, both attackmen; Dom Petro was ranked higher in his class per IL than Duffy is. The class before that had 5 Top 20 recruits, all 5-stars. 1 recruit isn’t a consideration.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”