Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
VAMomGlax2019

Re: Recruiting

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Its clear there are three factions arguing for UMD, BC and UNC. All three great programs. I grew up a MD fan, but have family that want to BC, so will root for both.

These programs aside does anyone have thoughts or insights to share on some of these schools who have jumped out of the gate quickly with their 2024 recruiting class? Are these top recruits or just players who knew where they wanted to go? Some programs have 8-12 commits already.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:58 am Stanford. Now they just have to win big games:

https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/wome ... t-stanford
Stanford is a .500 team in the ACC and is getting smoked by UNC and BC by 10+ everytime. Sounds like they're looking for quick way to the top. doesn't work that way. Gotta have the culture and coaching to go with everything.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:47 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:58 am Stanford. Now they just have to win big games:

https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/wome ... t-stanford
Stanford is a .500 team in the ACC and is getting smoked by UNC and BC by 10+ everytime. Sounds like they're looking for quick way to the top. doesn't work that way. Gotta have the culture and coaching to go with everything.
Don’t know the details about culture and coaching, but as far as recruits they seem to be getting some decent ones. There are a lot of attractive things about the university but nothing recruits can’t find closer to home (besides the weather) if that’s what’s important to them.

Not really relevant, more tangential, but I’m still trying to wrap my head around USC & UCLA joining the B1G
Carolinagrad

Post by Carolinagrad »

I am really glad to see Carolina have a tremendous recruiting class this year. To get the top two players in the country, and six five stars is an impressive feat. Carolina definitely took their national championship momentum to the recruiting trail.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I will be just as glad to see UNC take a big step back in the rankings this year. I don't see them as a final four team. Just lost too many great players.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:13 pm I will be just as glad to see UNC take a big step back in the rankings this year. I don't see them as a final four team. Just lost too many great players.
Compelling take. I wouldn't mind seeing that. Who do you envision filling the four slots at the end?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Top 5 Teams IMO
MD
BC
SB
CUSE
NW

BC and MD favored to make finals
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:33 pm Top 5 Teams IMO
MD
BC
SB
CUSE
NW

Interesting. I'm not sure UNC bumps out of the top five. It lost a ton to graduation, but the remaining parts are the envy of a lot of teams. I think, when the dust settles, it'll be

MD
BC
UNC
SYRACUSE
NU

But I admit: graduation of a lot of players will make this year very interesting. NU rebuilds a defense that was already porous, right? BC loses a generational player. Cuse still looking at getting everyone healthy and building a defense and goalkeeping. SBU always aiming higher.

And no one thinks Florida will be in the top five?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:11 am
I dont
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

I can see FL cracking the top 5.
OuttaNowhereWregget

MD
BC
SB
CUSE
NW

Interesting. I'm not sure UNC bumps out of the top five. It lost a ton to graduation, but the remaining parts are the envy of a lot of teams. I think, when the dust settles, it'll be

MD
BC
UNC
SYRACUSE
NU

But I admit: graduation of a lot of players will make this year very interesting. NU rebuilds a defense that was already porous, right? BC loses a generational player. Cuse still looking at getting everyone healthy and building a defense and goalkeeping. SBU always aiming higher.

I give Florida and Stony Brook an equal chance of being there. I’m not fully convinced of UNC or Syracuse. NU isn’t a sure thing either. There’s no clear favorite from where I’m looking. It will be very interesting to see what each of the seven teams look like as the NCAA playoffs unfold. Will some teams (Stony Brook and Florida) break character and take the next step? Will a surprising upset occur? We shall see.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:54 am
MD
BC
SB
CUSE
NW

MD
BC
UNC
SYRACUSE
NU

I give Florida and Stony Brook an equal chance of being there. I’m not fully convinced of UNC or Syracuse. NU isn’t a sure thing either. There’s no clear favorite from where I’m looking. It will be very interesting to see what each of the seven teams look like as the NCAA playoffs unfold. Will some teams (Stony Brook and Florida) break character and take the next step? Will a surprising upset occur? We shall see.
Yes, it'll make for an interesting year. Last year, for me anyway, was a case of "Will UNC hold serve the whole way"? This year, although I think Maryland will be good and should reach the Weekend, there is no one that I am especially sure of winning game in and game out. It should be a case of who improves the most; who stays clear of injuries; whose coaching staff helps the kids win; and who fortune favors. Should be a lotta fun.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:50 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:54 am
MD
BC
SB
CUSE
NW

MD
BC
UNC
SYRACUSE
NU

Yes, it'll make for an interesting year. Last year, for me anyway, was a case of "Will UNC hold serve the whole way"? This year, although I think Maryland will be good and should reach the Weekend, there is no one that I am especially sure of winning game in and game out. It should be a case of who improves the most; who stays clear of injuries; whose coaching staff helps the kids win; and who fortune favors. Should be a lotta fun.
Agreed on all.
harflax

Post by harflax »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:45 am I can see FL cracking the top 5.
I watched Florida playing their starters 80% of the game, lose to Towson last week in fall ball. Granted Towson has a strong senior class, but I was not impressed with Florida. Maryland will beat them by 15 goals.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

harflax wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:42 pm
I watched Florida playing their starters 80% of the game, lose to Towson last week in fall ball. Granted Towson has a strong senior class, but I was not impressed with Florida. Maryland will beat them by 15 goals.
[/quot

I saw Florida up close and personal in 2020. Ugly and noticeable animosity between the kids on the field and the kids and the coaching staff. It’s possible that this is in the past, but if not, no way Florida takes the cheese.
OuttaNowhereWregget

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:36 pm
harflax wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:42 pm
I saw Florida up close and personal in 2020. Ugly and noticeable animosity between the kids on the field and the kids and the coaching staff. It’s possible that this is in the past, but if not, no way Florida takes the cheese.
I don't think fall ball counts toward much of anything. I wouldn't make too much of what is seen 4-5 months before the season begins. Florida has some talented players. They always do. They beat good teams during the regular season. They've made a little noise in the Tournament before. I don't give Florida even the remotest chance of winning a national title next year, but I wouldn't look past them if I were any team facing them.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

MD
BC
SB
CUSE
NW

MD
BC
UNC
SYRACUSE
NU

Agreed. Emily Nalls and Brooklyn Walker-Welsh are really good. They'll anchor that defense just fine. Wurz is still there. Dirks, Hillman still there too. Good freshman class. They'll come down from last year but still very dangerous. Florida goes through cycles of being bad and being ok. Last year was the year to be ok. They'll be bad next year. Syracuse has shown me alot in being able to still be a good team in spite of inuries and bad goalie play. Does the Goalie play and defense get better? that's the question. They are no short of attacking talent. BC is interesting..they've been riding a high of several streaks. back to back championships, multiple years of final four appearances. They'll come down to earth at some point. They expanded alot of energy last year and i think losing North will hurt more than most think. Belle Smith is great..but she's not a pure scorer. BC will play better team ball but there were time last year CN willed them to victories on her own. They also have some unproven talent similar to UNC. MD will be favored. I really like what i saw from NW last year in the second half of the season. Losing Gilbert will hurt but i think they have enough pieces to still be really good. My top 5 is as follows

1. MD
2. NW
3. Cuse
4. BC
5. UNC
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:59 pm
MD
BC
SB
CUSE
NW

MD
BC
UNC
SYRACUSE
NU

Agreed. Emily Nalls and Brooklyn Walker-Welsh are really good. They'll anchor that defense just fine. Wurz is still there. Dirks, Hillman still there too. Good freshman class. They'll come down from last year but still very dangerous. Florida goes through cycles of being bad and being ok. Last year was the year to be ok. They'll be bad next year. Syracuse has shown me alot in being able to still be a good team in spite of inuries and bad goalie play. Does the Goalie play and defense get better? that's the question. They are no short of attacking talent. BC is interesting..they've been riding a high of several streaks. back to back championships, multiple years of final four appearances. They'll come down to earth at some point. They expanded alot of energy last year and i think losing North will hurt more than most think. Belle Smith is great..but she's not a pure scorer. BC will play better team ball but there were time last year CN willed them to victories on her own. They also have some unproven talent similar to UNC. MD will be favored. I really like what i saw from NW last year in the second half of the season. Losing Gilbert will hurt but i think they have enough pieces to still be really good. My top 5 is as follows

1. MD
2. NW
3. Cuse
4. BC
5. UNC
Also need to account for how much a program can improve during the course of the season, not just how they’re projected to start! Anyone can get hot at anytime.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

With it being a month since contact could start for the class of 2024, I decided to look at the 5-star distribution for not just them but also the class of 2023. ILWomen has 20 listed five stars for '23 and 25 for '24. And before Kleizaster comes in here to scream about it, yes UNC has cleaned up in both years. Now that we've gotten that out of the way..
2023:
4-North Carolina
3-Boston College
2-Clemson, Dartmouth, Maryland
1-Duke, Florida, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Stanford, Syracuse, Virginia Tech

2024:
6-North Carolina
3-Boston College, Michigan, Syracuse
2-Maryland, Stanford
1-Duke, Harvard, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt

23/25 Five Stars in 2024 have committed so far.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

jff97 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:32 pm With it being a month since contact could start for the class of 2024, I decided to look at the 5-star distribution for not just them but also the class of 2023. ILWomen has 20 listed five stars for '23 and 25 for '24. And before Kleizaster comes in here to scream about it, yes UNC has cleaned up in both years. Now that we've gotten that out of the way..
2023:
4-North Carolina
3-Boston College
2-Clemson, Dartmouth, Maryland
1-Duke, Florida, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Stanford, Syracuse, Virginia Tech

2024:
6-North Carolina
3-Boston College, Michigan, Syracuse
2-Maryland, Stanford
1-Duke, Harvard, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt

23/25 Five Stars in 2024 have committed so far.
Just curious, who is the Vanderbilt 2024 recruit? I don’t follow them that closely anymore, but it is interesting they have a commitment from such a highly ranked recruit. Thanks

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”