Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:18 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:15 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:21 pm Why should Musk give his service away when the US wants to support Ukraine?

The US is writing checks monthly. $15-16B of taxpayer money so far? Going to what?
... as I recall Musk offered this system and terminals for free, making a big deal of it publicly at the time. Also didn't place any limits on the offer publicly. A real hero. :roll:
Lime the other narcissist, he, too, has a fragile ego. Cannot handle Ukrainians tell him to eff off after he announced his Putin peace plan which requires them to basically capitulate.

The world is awash in these morons
... since Trump, they are certainly coming out of the woodwork. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This is hilarious and the ending is even better...assuming you know all these people. :lol: :lol:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:21 pm Why should Musk give his service away when the US wants to support Ukraine?

The US is writing checks monthly. $15-16B of taxpayer money so far? Going to what?
... as I recall Musk offered this system and terminals for free, making a big deal of it publicly at the time. Also didn't place any limits on the offer publicly. A real hero. :roll:
Again, times change. Perspectives change.
When no one was helping Ukraine, it was a benevolent thing to do.
And it wasn’t a blank check, forever. Ukraine has more than enough help now.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Now Musk has changed his mind and apparently is going to continue the deal as is. It's not like he is doing it for free. He is making money. His greed gland got the better of him, trying to upcharge for the service by a factor of 10. :roll:
Last edited by jhu72 on Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Afghanistan was $52 Billion per year AFTER we got OBL. Not a single complaint from you chaps. Oh, I forgot.....you started complaining when Biden cut that spigot off, and got us the F out of there, and stopped us from spending there for no freaking reason. Edit to add...because of billions in Vet care, the meter for Afghanistan will be running for, oh, about another 50 years. But sure, Ukraine is wasteful spending. :roll:

You guys sure pick funny times to pretend to care about money.

And there isn't a poster here who doesn't know that every Republican on the board would be calling Biden weak if he put his checkbook away, and let Putin do whatever he wanted.
Last edited by a fan on Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:35 am
Kismet wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:18 am

Lime the other narcissist, he, too, has a fragile ego. Cannot handle Ukrainians tell him to eff off after he announced his Putin peace plan which requires them to basically capitulate.

The world is awash in these morons
... since Trump, they are certainly coming out of the woodwork. :lol:
Look in my eyes….what do you see??

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Biden is meeting with Musk to discuss putting Starlink technology in place to provide communications for the Iranian people currently resisting their government.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Get deeper in so they can’t touch you? High risk if govts don’t like it? Not being invited to a dinner party at the WH won’t be his problem. Remaining solvent will be the issue then given how much eh sucks off the teat of taxpayers and retail investors who are supposed to be protected from people like this - free riders. (Same w Thiel and his AI business that pretended to be more successful than they were by hooking into the DOD and other govt entities-this is a derivative of the Carlyle Group model from the late 1980s and 1990s)

Elon the self-employed diplomat

Billionaire businessman Elon Musk is wielding significant geopolitical power with his global internet Starlink satellites.

Why it matters: Private space companies are meeting — and often exceeding — the capabilities of governments, giving not just technological but also geopolitical power to those who operate them.

"It's not just states in space making these decisions anymore," Kaitlyn Johnson, a space policy expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), tells Axios.
Driving the news: Musk this month suggested on Twitter that the U.S. government should start footing the multimillion-dollar bill for the private Starlink service he initiated in Ukraine after Russia cut off internet service. He then pulled back and said the company would continue to cover the cost.

Days before, Musk offered his thoughts on how to de-escalate the conflict in Ukraine and Taiwan, drawing criticism in Washington.
The impact: Musk's moves related to Ukraine show just how much global influence he now wields.

Activating Starlink in Ukraine was "a policy decision that the U.S. government didn't make," Johnson says.
Starlink is being used by Ukrainian forces for situational awareness on the battlefield and, as Secure World Foundation's Brian Weeden puts it bluntly, is "helping kill a lot of Russians."
SpaceX was "trying to strong arm the U.S. government into paying for this service that they chose to send there in the first place," Johnson says.
The Pentagon is reportedly considering paying for Starlink's service.
SpaceX did not respond to a request for comment.

Between the lines: Years of U.S. policy accelerating and supporting private space companies have led to this moment, where these companies are starting to exceed the government in their capabilities.

As a result, the U.S. government has become increasingly reliant on Musk and SpaceX to launch people to the International Space Station and satellites to orbit that underpin military communications and intelligence gathering.
"Over time, the list of space activities that only the U.S. government does or that primarily serve the government has really shrunk, and the list of things the commercial sector is doing has grown," says Gregory Allen, a senior fellow in the Strategic Technologies Program at CSIS said. "SpaceX is at the forefront of the trend but by no means is the only one."
Space companies are increasingly providing satellite remote sensing and high-bandwidth satellite communications.
The big picture: With more than 3,000 satellites in orbit, Starlink's service stretches around the globe. But there are areas where it is noticeably absent, including Russia, China and Iran.

Starlink could technically broadcast to the ground in those counties, but it must be licensed to operate in a country and ground terminals are required to receive the satellite signals.
The intrigue: It’s not clear whether SpaceX hopes to eventually set up Starlink service in China, though experts say there is a clear incentive to do so. "Every time Starlink is going over China, unless they have authority to broadcast, it is not making money," Allen says.

Musk told the Financial Times Beijing has asked him for assurances he wouldn't provide internet access in China as he has Ukraine. The FT did not say if he agreed.
The Biden administration is exploring setting up Starlink's service in Iran to support protesters there, CNN reported last week, though questions remain about if and how the service could be set up in a country where the government doesn't explicitly authorize it and whether people could then safely use it.
What to watch: As commercial satellites take on more national security and military importance, what could be considered a military target in space is also shifting.

The fact that Starlink satellites are being used in wartime could also make the privately operated spacecraft targets for enemy forces, and they're already being targeted with cyberattacks, according to Musk.
A Russian official also opened the door to the idea, saying private satellites used for military purposes could be a "legitimate target for retaliation" during a recent UN working group.
"If Elon is providing Starlink on his own dime and not reimbursed by the Pentagon, what does it mean for Russia to attack those assets?" Allen added. "If it is paid for by the Pentagon, is attacking [the satellites] equivalent to attacking the U.S.? There are norms of practice developed over the history of the Cold War, but there are areas where norms are being written right now."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Elon making a statement…..”let that sink in”, clever.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/158 ... 4_peb33-ow
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:00 pm Elon making a statement…..”let that sink in”, clever.

He does make a lot of statements... Likes being the center of attention. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow and the day after with the deadline coming up on the trial.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:41 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:00 pm Elon making a statement…..”let that sink in”, clever.

He does make a lot of statements... Likes being the center of attention. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow and the day after with the deadline coming up on the trial.
... he is not the only one. RepubliCON leaders like being the center of attention. The thug faction of the party is the same way. There is no organization big enough to contain all the egos. Musk fits right in. He is far less ideological than his lovers believe. Like Trump and DeSantis, his true ideology is himself. I am beginning to think the chick in Arizona, Lake has them all beat when it comes to being an attention whore.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:48 am

... he is not the only one. RepubliCON leaders like being the center of attention. The thug faction of the party is the same way. There is no organization big enough to contain all the egos. Musk fits right in. He is far less ideological than his lovers believe. Like Trump and DeSantis, his true ideology is himself. I am beginning to think the chick in Arizona, Lake has them all beat when it comes to being an attention whore.
Envy? The man has taken us to space for far less costs, built an robust EV company, has launched satellites that we rely on globally, and you are fussing about his ego.

Friendly reminder.....Trump is a democrat/RINO.
~Livy

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:37 am

Envy? The man has taken us to space for far less costs, built an robust EV company, has launched satellites that we rely on globally, and you are fussing about his ego.

“Robust”? Maybe but I’m not sure it’s Reslilient, which is the greater accomplishment, absent heavy govt support and continuing to allow him to play fast and loose with rules around being public and taking retail shareholder money. (His buying of his brothers solar company was something that gets forgotten but should never have happened, the SEC should’ve put teeth on their enforcement of public company communications - Reg FD as examples.). Tesla is going to have operational problems when Musk is both distracted by Twitter and when his personal net worth feels the pain of markets + loss of capital thrown at Twitter. He did PayPal when things were awesome and he did this when things were easy. He’s generally bailed or had massive handouts when the cycle turns down. Let’s see him run his game through this cycle without govt support.

Fat people are “robust”, especially after a marathon session at Old Country Buffett or Shoneys. The goal should be resilient. Pedantic but a massive difference if you think about it.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:09 am

Mmmm-“robust”? I’m not sure it’s resilient absent heavy govt support and continuing to allow him to play fast and loose with rules around being public and taking retail shareholder money. (His buying of his brothers solar company was something that gets forgotten but should never have happened, the SEC should’ve put teeth on their enforcement of public company communications - Reg FD as examples.). Tesla is going to have operational problems when Musk is both distracted by Twitter and when his personal net worth feels the pain of markets + loss of capital thrown at Twitter. He did PayPal when things were awesome and he did this when things were easy. He’s generally bailed or had massive handouts when the cycle turns down. Let’s see him run his game through this cycle without govt support.
So now we have two people with envy. ;)
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:11 am

Mmmm-“robust”? I’m not sure it’s resilient absent heavy govt support and continuing to allow him to play fast and loose with rules around being public and taking retail shareholder money. (His buying of his brothers solar company was something that gets forgotten but should never have happened, the SEC should’ve put teeth on their enforcement of public company communications - Reg FD as examples.). Tesla is going to have operational problems when Musk is both distracted by Twitter and when his personal net worth feels the pain of markets + loss of capital thrown at Twitter. He did PayPal when things were awesome and he did this when things were easy. He’s generally bailed or had massive handouts when the cycle turns down. Let’s see him run his game through this cycle without govt support.
I certainly envy his business success...not his family strife, nor his personality, ego, etc. He's a jerk...some, not all, of that is from on the spectrum stuff, but still a jerk.

I don't wish him ill in his business ventures around EV and space, but I do with Twitter unless he completely reforms the bot/algorithm and mass dissemination of provably false, damaging information. Problem is that he thinks the mass misinformation is a feature, not a bug....and he wants to better monetize it...and, use it to foster his own ambitions and ego.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Nope, I’m not a tool and have no interest in worrying about having 9-10 acknowledged children plus the deathbed burden he’s going to have to account for.

Every chick he’s been with has run away. I got one I can’t get rid of. Big difference.

The rest is technical stuff. I was balls deep in Ford, Dana and Dura credit risk middle of the 2000s among other things. I think industrial and manufacturing businesses need to build resiliency not robustness.

https://medium.com/@hissain.khan/distin ... 09e87bcc49

Distinguishing System Robustness, Resilience, Stability, Flexibility and Performance
This article elucidates the differences amongst some of the basic software quality attributes through an analogy applied for inverted pendulum controller.
Some of the fundamental terms when expressing software quality are robustness, resilience, stability, flexibility and performance. Mid level or even senior engineers sometimes seem to be confused when answering the questions like,
Is your application robust and resilient enough?
Is your module flexible?
Is your system stable now?
The purpose of this short article is to give an abstract idea through an analogy with an inverted pendulum control system to understand how the software robustness, resilience, stability, flexibility and performance differ and relate.
Let’s say, an inverted pendulum controller is developed, which keeps the pendulum always vertically aligned by generating inertial force towards the falling direction. Refer to the following figure,

From the figure, we can understand how it may work. Now let’s find out some of the software quality attributes of that inverted pendulum controller system.
Robustness — How much can you take before you fall down
Lets say, the system is taken to the outdoor, where there are some wind flowing to a random direction. Then, robustness of the controller is how much of the wind-flow it can take before it fails to keep the pendulum vertically aligned.
Other robustness quality of the controller can be measured by how much deviation in pendulum’s mass and length it can accept before falling. Let’s say, the controller is developed for an ideal pendulum of 1 kilogram mass and 1 meter length. Can the controller still avoid falling, if the pendulum is set 1.1 kilograms in mass or 1.1 meters in length by mistake?

Figure: X (collected from wikipedia.com)
Stability — How long can you perform before you fall down
Stability of the controller can be measured by, whether the controller keeps avoiding falling down the pendulum. If yes, its stable otherwise it’s not or less stable. The stability is not always a true/false, rather it can also be fuzzy (i.e. how long the controller can hold the pendulum from falling down).
Resilience — How long you take to stand up after you fall down
Resilience of the controller can be measured by what degree of deviation in angle of the pendulum, the controller can recover from. Let’s say, the controller is developed in such a way that even if the pendulum falls (i.e. due to some exceptions) from its initial vertical position to angle θ (in Figure: X), controller can still make a quick movement, so that the pendulum can come back to its initial expected position. The bigger the angle it can support, the more resilient it is.
Flexibility — How much do you need, for changing your strategy
The flexibility of the controller can be measured by the effort it takes to redevelop/configure the controller to support different types of pendulum. Let’s say, current controller is developed to support a pendulum of mass 1 kilogram and of length 1 meter. Can the controller be reconfigured for supporting a pendulum of 2.0 kilograms mass and/or 2.0 meters length within a minimal effort. The less amount of effort (time and labor) it takes the more flexible it is.
Performance — How much do you need, to keep performing
One of the performance measures of the controller is how quickly the controller can bring the pendulum back to its initial position.
Another performance measure is how much energy the controller uses to bring the pendulum back to its initial position for a period of time.
Throughput — How much you perform in a fixed unit of time
Throughput of the controller can be measured with the amount of energy it spends over a unit of time to keep the pendulum stable and performing well.
Before finishing up this article, I want to share two images which might help us to visually remember the differences amongst robustness, resilience and flexibility of a system.

collected from slideshare.com

collected from researchgate.net
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

More simple definition

As adjectives the difference between robust and resilient is that robust is evincing strength; indicating vigorous health; strong; sinewy; muscular; vigorous; sound; as, a robust body; robust youth; robust health while resilient is able to endure tribulation without cracking.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I read that earlier.

Twitter ain’t critical to s**t in society and he’s going to ride his investment to zero. Just a question as to whether this drags the rest of his empire down with it the way he’s commingled his interests so incestuously and levered personally.

Mr. Musk sends borrowing notice, kicking off process to complete the $44 billion deal

By Laura CooperFollow
, Alexander SaeedyFollow
and Cara LombardoFollow
Updated Oct. 26, 2022 7:29 pm ET

Mr. Musk late Tuesday sent a so-called borrowing notice to the banks that agreed to provide him with the debt for the purchase, one of the people said. That kicked off a process that is currently under way by which banks will deposit funds they are on the hook for into an escrow account after hammering out final details of the debt contracts, the people said.

Once final closing conditions are met, the funds will be made available for Mr. Musk to execute the transaction by the Friday deadline.

It indicates the deal is on track to close, after Mr. Musk visited Twitter’s San Francisco office Wednesday. “Entering Twitter HQ – let that sink in!” Mr. Musk tweeted, along with a video of himself walking into Twitter’s headquarters carrying a white basin.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

Advertisement

Scroll to continue with content

Twitter told employees in an internal message that they would hear directly from Mr. Musk on Friday, according to an internal note reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The billionaire also changed the bio description on his Twitter profile to “Chief Twit” and added his location as “Twitter HQ.”

Funding notices are typically sent three to five days in advance of when the money is needed. In normal circumstances, such documents are part of the mundane deal-closing procedures handled by back-office staffers that receive little to no mention. But after Mr. Musk spent months trying to back out of the deal to buy Twitter before flip-flopping and agreeing to go through with it earlier this month, Wall Street and Silicon Valley alike have been on high alert for evidence that he will actually follow through.

If Mr. Musk proceeds to close the deal as the signs currently suggest, it would bring to an end a six-month-long corporate drama and Twitter would cease to be publicly traded, with its current shareholders receiving $54.20 a share. The outspoken billionaire entrepreneur is expected to take the influential platform in a new direction, having floated ideas for changing Twitter, including by limiting content moderation and ushering in a new business model.

As recently as earlier this month, Mr. Musk was slated to face Twitter in a Delaware court over the stalled deal. He had argued the company misled him about its business including the amount of spam on its platform. Twitter countered that he was looking for an out after a market downturn gave him cold feet.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

Twitter has been at the center of a six-month-long corporate drama that appears to be close to an end.Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
Then, in the days before he was to sit for a deposition, Mr. Musk changed his position again and proposed closing the deal at the original price. The judge presiding over the legal clash postponed a trial scheduled to start Oct. 17 and gave Mr. Musk until Oct. 28 to close the deal.

Chancellor Kathaleen McCormick said if the deal doesn’t close by that date, the parties should contact her to schedule a November trial.

The closing of the deal won’t be the end of the story for the banks that agreed to help fund it, including Morgan Stanley MS -0.27%, Bank of America Corp. BAC 0.48% and Barclays PLC. BCS -0.14% They are likely to hold on to the debt rather than sell it to third-party investors, as is the norm in such deals, until the new year or later, people familiar with the matter have said. Those lenders could face upward of $500 million in losses if they tried to sell Twitter’s debt at current market levels, as many investors are worried about a recession and curbing new exposure to risky bonds and loans.

Twitter will become a private company if Elon Musk’s $44 billion takeover bid is approved. The move would allow Musk to make changes to the site. WSJ’s Dan Gallagher explains Musk’s proposed changes and the challenges he might face enacting them. Illustration: Jordan Kranse
—Alexa Corse and Lauren Thomas contributed to this article.

Write to Laura Cooper at [email protected], Alexander Saeedy at [email protected] and Cara Lombardo at [email protected]
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:37 pm
I read that earlier.

Twitter ain’t critical to s**t in society and he’s going to ride his investment to zero. Just a question as to whether this drags the rest of his empire down with it the way he’s commingled his interests so incestuously and levered personally.
Twitter was on life support prior to the 2016 Trump campaign.

These sites made so much money off that clown show, then after he got kicked to the curb again and fomented the Jan 6 coup, they were like "guess we gotta close the barn doors."

Then everyone starts screeching about a private company's policies and Free Speech when flat out lies are finally called out. I'm sure there are a few false positives and a few legitimate complaints among the millions of lies, but that's what happens on a platform of that size.

Musk has stood on the shoulders of giants for much of his career. Done some things himself too.

Return to “POLITICS”