Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Looks like Rosa and Bach were strong early and throughout from a scoring perspective. What that update thread shows, and everyone can read it but for the super lazy or those that try to minimize their social media exposure:

17-7, was closer early, 6-4 in Q1, 6-5 then all of the sudden 17-5 - Go Brundage!

Bart killed a two (2) man down at 0-1 then Alex Rosa got the first goal of this scrimmage for Bart. Then

Bach and Grooms - 3 to 1

3 - 3

Bach, James Greene & Considine w/1 Bingo goal to 6 -4 end of Q1, Bing to 6 - 5 then Rosa 7 - 5, 8-5, they thought Rosa but not sure

Considine, Simas & Delano to 11 - 5 at half (gues Considine ran w 1st team mid a bit)

Rosa again, then Barthelme from Ward (6'7" from 6'5", wont have a lot of that height two man offfense in D1 this year) to 13 - 5

Ward then Adam Davis from Cardinalli 15 - 5

Baltzer and Begina with the last two and then Bing put in two at the end for 17 - 7

Have to assume the D played well. Nothing mentioned about D, FO, clearing or goalie play

Binghamton may not be elite comp but have to love the outcome.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I saw most of it. The bright spots were a 25 minute scoreless period for the D, including some man down kills and decent slides. Clears looked good, but couldn't tell if that was us being good or Bingo sloppy. On offense, James Greene looks hot. Alex Rosa was real good inside. Sam Ward looking good and has nice feeder potential. Delano is so small it is actually to his advantage ... he is super quick. Mids who stood out included Bach, not surprisingly. Delaney had lots of playing time and was super solid. IMHO, he can grow into an important piece of the puzzle. Good to see Wimer out there ... he'll also be a good asset. The problem areas? SSDM ... We just look small. But as I said, we shut them down. Is Bingo supposed to be good this year?
We outscored them in the end by 8 or so. Our O did not look as dynamic as the last few years, but you can tell they have permission to shoot.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:58 pm I saw most of it. The bright spots were a 25 minute scoreless period for the D, including some man down kills and decent slides. Clears looked good, but couldn't tell if that was us being good or Bingo sloppy. On offense, James Greene looks hot. Alex Rosa was real good inside. Sam Ward looking good and has nice feeder potential. Delano is so small it is actually to his advantage ... he is super quick. Mids who stood out included Bach, not surprisingly. Delaney had lots of playing time and was super solid. IMHO, he can grow into an important piece of the puzzle. Good to see Wimer out there ... he'll also be a good asset. The problem areas? SSDM ... We just look small. But as I said, we shut them down. Is Bingo supposed to be good this year?
We outscored them in the end by 8 or so. Our O did not look as dynamic as the last few years, but you can tell they have permission to shoot.
Thanks,

RE Bing: Aside from the season they had Moore and Waldron as a Sr Bing has been on a downtrend since they effectively ran Stephenson off.

Hoped we'd try Dino and a few guys w size at SSDM.

No mention of Herlihy or Dattellas. Presuming they were held out which if that's the case and we still had 17, even in a scrimmage, is really promising. Especially if the D can play like they did vs Bryant in the NEC playoff game and we have IMO 3 strong FOGOs (I'm high on Shaifer and Schoefield and we know Shea is legit)
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Didn't see Herlihy. Datillas didn't play while I was watching. Quite a few guys on the bench.FO good, no surprise. But the wing play was aggressive, which was a good look. However, it did seem to take a quarter and a half to find the groove.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Latest podcast

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-50/128

Sounds like the goalie position is in play. I know players can develop/improve over time. IMHO Holtby should be our starter , even though Sotiropoulas started v Binghamton. I can't get that 1st game v Bryant last year out of my head. Not much said about the personnel on the 1st attack and midfield lines. Though it does sound like we have at least 2 solid midfield lines which would be great. Holtby's goals against avg. had him ranked 34th. His save % was .49, ranking him #50. With our new D coach, I hope the D limits some of the layups scored against us last season. Hopefully he gets theD to close the back door that has been open for too long.
man:down

Post by man:down »

I agree on the goalie situation. Calm and confidence seems to be so critical between the pipes so I'd hate to see that go away for Holtby because he is worried about his spot. That's my uneducated non-coach opinion. I suppose the other side of that is - lets just see who plays best and can deal with all the variables of the position.

Attack seemed to be an experiment and open tryout for middies in the fall and while 2 true attack (Rosa and Delano) started on Saturday along with Green (a middie), they'll have Datelas and Herlihy back so I wouldn't be surprised to see them start an all (former) middie attack - as frustrating as that might be for the attackmen. I think Herlihy should be coming out of the box - no question (maybe Green too) - which puts an experienced attackman like Rosa / Delano (dodgers/cutters), Ward (feeder) or Barthelme (either) on the field.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

If Holtby is "worried about his spot" then let's find someone else. Competition for each position is what every coach wants/needs. Practices should be intense and competitive, otherwise, little improvement...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m very high on Wilson as well as the two commits coming in next year. Depth at goalie for years now but Holtby has shows game or stretches of brilliance where if he can be consistent as his third year starting now and 22-23yrs old he could backstop a strong half of field.

One the starting attack being converted middies, aside from that I feel like Datellas is a natural attack, we sort off had huge inverse a few years back with 4-5 A would play at a time. The staff must feel strongly about some of the younger and less experiences midfielders. Who’s the shooter(s)? Bach? I expect him to step up but not a pure step down shooter. Simas for sure but we need 1-2 others. Real optimistic possibility…last year on offense was like 2018 with a transition then exploded in 2019. We just need a couple of kids to blossom like Holden and Scott but 2018 was Frank Brown, Aslanian & Holden. Holden shot 19% too. If 2 of a group you kids make a leap or a FR is like a Scott, Aslanian, Knox, Archer immediate contributor we have the experience and depth I think.

The continued lack of size/physicality+speeed at SSDM is a blind spot.
man:down

Post by man:down »

I agree on SSDM. Tons of heart and muscle on that squad but less size than they will see running at them. Herlihy is the the shooter from up for sure. Simas too. Bach can do it too but fortunately he seems a bit more comfortable this year running north-south to the net without veering off and passing. He has the size to just lean in to his defender and get the shot off.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

man:down wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:20 pm I agree on SSDM. Tons of heart and muscle on that squad but less size than they will see running at them. Herlihy is the the shooter from up for sure. Simas too. Bach can do it too but fortunately he seems a bit more comfortable this year running north-south to the net without veering off and passing. He has the size to just lean in to his defender and get the shot off.
I’m all in on Bach but then again I keep waiting for us to have that 6’2”+, 200lb+ north south horse dodger shooter. Henry Mann, Tanner John, Cade Dino next up but none have become quite that. John closest but had issues w injuries and maybe personal stuff in his life as well that were distractions. Bach is that level athlete, may be small area but he was doing what D1 football players do in HS in small areas. I too thought he should have more confidence and not just run to gle and feed behind the cage. If he has that confidence like he did vs SHU, I’m putting better odds on a monster season from him.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

10 to 16 after 4quarters. They're playing a fifth. Not a good look today. Michigan dominated all aspects of the game.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Coaches are obviously experimenting. Goalie position is up for grabs for sure. IMHO, the fy 54 was the best goalie today. One piece of good news is Wimer 83. Solid big aggressive ssdm. Rosa is the linchpin of the O. But the O lost all rhythm from last week. Looked like pickup ball at times. The speed and precision of passing were down from last week. Face offs solid on the draw, but we lost some on wing play. Mich out hustled us. Clears were terrible. They trapped us on a 10 man ride a few times and it took us too long to figure it out. We need Wiley back. Rides were so so. Most disappointing was close D. The basic problem seemed to be slow slides and, again, letting guys camp inside for close shots. We need to get bodies on bodies faster. No Herlihey. Datillas was out on one man up. Man up was a strength. Very little time for Horton. Not much time for Delany this week. Little time for Hochheimer or Sampson. Little time for Meite. Some interesting play from fy Peterkin. Considine looked ok. Begina had 2 good goals. Rosa, Greene, Delano started attack. They were ok, but the middle play was sloppy. Might be a long year unless they figure this out. This could have been a controlled experiment. I hope so.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ted Baker was nice to post some stats from ydays and the Bingo scrimmages on the Hobart lacrosse Family & Friends page on FB. Between Ted's post's and the ones on this thread, it is very apparent the entire offense is still an experiment, especially with Herlihy and Datellas being held out I was hoping our 1st midfield line of Simas, Bach and Peterkin (my guess) would be the source of our scoring punch. So far, it looks like I'm dead wrong. Last season, I was worried about Simas cranking up too many ill advised shots. So far, he's barely shooting. Bach needs to find his inner Rabil or Myles Jones and start firing on cage. If that doesn't come to be, our attack will be locked off. So where will the scoring come from? Still think Holtby should get the nod in goal. Should be an interesting week in practice.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I completely agree on Bach. He's shown scoring potential before, and just the threat will open the attack. Datillas was well enough to play a man up. Haven't seen Herlihey.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Anyone have any insights on Canisius? Is Frank Brown still there? I don't see him listed as a coach.
This will be an interesting season for us, and I am hoping for some good surprises. Glad the actual season will be starting soon.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Preseason write-up and new podcast are out. Sounds like Herlihy and Datellas will be playing tomorrow. Coach Raymond wouldn't confirm a starting goalie. Though I have a sneaking suspicion they may give Sotiropoulos another chance. If so, I hope he is successful. We know Holtby can do the job. It sounds like they haven't made up their minds who will be the starter in goal for this season and may be week to week. The write-up said the coaches were disappointed in the D last season. With a new D coordinator, it will be a work in progress. An interesting situation is our faceoff guys. Coach talks about Schofield backing up Shea. I have seen photos of Shaifer with a knee brace on, so he may be out for a while.

LG, Frank Brown hasn't been with Canisius since before last season started. Last I heard he was rehabbing his knee so he can return to playing for the Buffalo Bandits in the NLL. Hope to see him on the floor soon. A really good person who gives back to the community as much as possible.

https://express.adobe.com/page/2DyLbGKtY44Lv/

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-52/130
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I thought I saw Shaiffer in sweats on the sideline last week. He took some pulls against Binghamton, so maybe it is a recent injury. Hopefully it is a quick recovery. I love the idea of three strong f/o guys ... plus Duby with the pole.
Should be really interesting tomorrow. Peterkin did look a bit stunned last week :shock: I hope he gets lots of time tomorrow. He could settle into being a really solid player for us. Curious about where Datillas will play and what will happen to the guy he replaces. We need a shooting threat at midfield. Maybe Bach starts firing some. I hope Simas takes some too.
D should be a strong suit, so if the goals against is high, no matter the overall outcome, it'll be a disappointment.
Thanks OBM for the information on Frank. Time flies...I was thinking he just arrived there last year! :lol:
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Glad for the win. Much more lopsided than the final score. But still a work in progress. Datillas is a beast, and some great young guys playing strong, but D is where we will win or lose. And that's where it got ugly in the second half.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:03 pm Glad for the win. Much more lopsided than the final score. But still a work in progress. Datillas is a beast, and some great young guys playing strong, but D is where we will win or lose. And that's where it got ugly in the second half.
I'll take it, but Canisius is such a poor team it's hard to know what to think about this one. My takeaways are the injury to Shea, a nicked up Dattelas, and a porous defense. I don't care who's in there. Giving up 14 goals to Canisius is just downright bad. We're going to need to play a whole lot better next weekend.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

D still needs work and Christiansen got nicked late. But they did give up 7 in Q4 when the game was completely out of hand and had a ton of EMO in the second half against out backups.

Small thing but wine wonders if this is built intentionally:

17/20 goals are form section 3 kids

10 from Rosa and Dattellas from West Genny
4 from Grooms and Delano from Westhill
1 each from Davis (Bville), Bach (Lowville) & Delaney (Onondaga)

Other 3 were from Herlihy and Peterkin

Barthelme looked good. Didn’t see Mason Romm out there, wonder after two season ending knee injuries if he’s down. Don’t love the fact that Herlihy and Simas only put 6/15 shots on cage.

Schoefield settled down and played great for Shea. He still reminds me a lot of Bobby D. If all three can be healthy that’s great.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”