***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
Creasedive

Re: ***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

Post by Creasedive »

Using Loyola as a glowing example is probably not your best option. Google it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Creasedive wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:15 am Using Loyola as a glowing example is probably not your best option. Google it.
Why not provide the links if you are so sure they make your point, whatever that may be?

(Addressing Kram's question too)

I dunno about Loyola versus any other school, but there was a radical difference in the magnitude of what St. Francis was doing versus any other school...in a sport where the difference in aggregate size and speed was creating a spate of injuries unlike when playing other schools. We discussed at the time the number of 300 lb players, the number of 225 lb running backs, etc compared to any other school in the MIAA...huge difference. My alma mater kept playing them, but injuries were a serious issue...especially at a time where our awareness of head injuries was finally coming to the fore...

Was there any element of race playing into the fear parents had for their kids...maybe with some parents, but I don't think that was the case for most parents, much less competitive coaches and administrators.

St. Francis went way, way beyond the practices at any other school in an overt way...and it was known that they were using the MIAA merely as a temporary way station for their goal of a national schedule.

The MIAA expulsion simply accelerated them to a "national" schedule. I thought their whining about it was unfortunate and unbecoming, but they wanted the PR...IMO.

I've been a pretty tough critic of the underlying trend toward heavier and more expansive recruitment, financial incentives beyond actual "need", etc, as I don't think they contribute to the at least previously stated mission of the MIAA as an education-first athletic organization. I've also been critical of the management of the MIAA being so lax, indeed sort of 'what organization?'. These schools have always recruited student-athletes and they've always had some need-based financial aid and these students have typically contributed terrifically well to their communities, but the arms race issue can lead to some practices I think we'd be better off curtailing...but that's a minority opinion at some schools. And yes, there's been an escalation in lax.

Note, I was quite critical of my own alma mater's participation in these trends in football when they grew in scale post 2012 and it increasingly became clear that many of the attracted athletes were there for football first and for some really only...which was made super evident when they followed the coaching staff to St. Francis. At St. Francis there were no such frictions with administrators, alumni and parents, no restrictions on pursuing their national goals. And they went all-in.

On the other hand, I'm not so critical of any school like St. Francis deciding that they want to pursue a different path...outside of the local athletic association. We've had sports academies of one sort or another for decades...they are what they are. In sports where the physicality is less dangerous, I'm all for competing with them if one has a program capable of doing so, win or lose...eg IMG, Hill...or in my day Wroxeter. Football is another matter.

I'm not aware, but could be persuaded by better information, that Spalding was doing anything more aggressive in lax than say Calvert Hall, Boy's Latin, McDonogh right now...were they? If so, what specifically?
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

News flash - St. Francis wasn’t expelled from the MIAA. They created a special single team league for them. Patently absurd on so many levels.

https://miaasports.net/football/
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Not sure that's a new "league" just for St. Francis, rather a method the conference is using to show the records of an "independent" (otherwise) MIAA school.

Spalding wasn't doing anything more aggressive than others. They were just a new kid on the block doing it. And it got a lot of Baltimore dads up in arms for having the nerve to compete with the old guard, at their own game.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:42 pm Not sure that's a new "league" just for St. Francis, rather a method the conference is using to show the records of an "independent" (otherwise) MIAA school.

Spalding wasn't doing anything more aggressive than others. They were just a new kid on the block doing it. And it got a lot of Baltimore dads up in arms for having the nerve to compete with the old guard, at their own game.
Not me.

And agreed, it was face saving for everyone, just a way for the football team in specific to be removed from league play. Removed, expelled, they aren't in the football conference any more.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Spring is here!
7 conference teams in action today.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:06 pm Spring is here!
7 conference teams in action today.
Lawrenceville 16 Calvert Hall 9
Severn 17 Collegiate 6
St. Mary's 12 LaSalle 4
Mt. St. Joe 13 St. Andrew's Episcopal 4
Academy of the New Church 10 St Paul's 9
Hill Academy 10 Loyola 8
John Carroll 14 Archbishop Curley 8
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:03 am
Creasedive wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:15 am Using Loyola as a glowing example is probably not your best option. Google it.
Why not provide the links if you are so sure they make your point, whatever that may be?

(Addressing Kram's question too)

I dunno about Loyola versus any other school, but there was a radical difference in the magnitude of what St. Francis was doing versus any other school...in a sport where the difference in aggregate size and speed was creating a spate of injuries unlike when playing other schools. We discussed at the time the number of 300 lb players, the number of 225 lb running backs, etc compared to any other school in the MIAA...huge difference. My alma mater kept playing them, but injuries were a serious issue...especially at a time where our awareness of head injuries was finally coming to the fore...

Was there any element of race playing into the fear parents had for their kids...maybe with some parents, but I don't think that was the case for most parents, much less competitive coaches and administrators.

St. Francis went way, way beyond the practices at any other school in an overt way...and it was known that they were using the MIAA merely as a temporary way station for their goal of a national schedule.

The MIAA expulsion simply accelerated them to a "national" schedule. I thought their whining about it was unfortunate and unbecoming, but they wanted the PR...IMO.

I've been a pretty tough critic of the underlying trend toward heavier and more expansive recruitment, financial incentives beyond actual "need", etc, as I don't think they contribute to the at least previously stated mission of the MIAA as an education-first athletic organization. I've also been critical of the management of the MIAA being so lax, indeed sort of 'what organization?'. These schools have always recruited student-athletes and they've always had some need-based financial aid and these students have typically contributed terrifically well to their communities, but the arms race issue can lead to some practices I think we'd be better off curtailing...but that's a minority opinion at some schools. And yes, there's been an escalation in lax.

Note, I was quite critical of my own alma mater's participation in these trends in football when they grew in scale post 2012 and it increasingly became clear that many of the attracted athletes were there for football first and for some really only...which was made super evident when they followed the coaching staff to St. Francis. At St. Francis there were no such frictions with administrators, alumni and parents, no restrictions on pursuing their national goals. And they went all-in.

On the other hand, I'm not so critical of any school like St. Francis deciding that they want to pursue a different path...outside of the local athletic association. We've had sports academies of one sort or another for decades...they are what they are. In sports where the physicality is less dangerous, I'm all for competing with them if one has a program capable of doing so, win or lose...eg IMG, Hill...or in my day Wroxeter. Football is another matter.

I'm not aware, but could be persuaded by better information, that Spalding was doing anything more aggressive in lax than say Calvert Hall, Boy's Latin, McDonogh right now...were they? If so, what specifically?
"Money
It's a crime
Share it fairly, but don't take a slice of my pie
Money
So they say
Is the root of all evil today" -- Same as it ever was...

Humans are so predictable. Pathetic, really.

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

get it to x wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:53 am ...Lawrenceville 16 Calvert Hall 9...
Apparently, L'ville is legit. Curious to see what they do against BL today...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:22 am
get it to x wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:53 am ...Lawrenceville 16 Calvert Hall 9...
Apparently, L'ville is legit. Curious to see what they do against BL today...
Hall was up 7-2 at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQnn5b22sMk
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:22 am Apparently, L'ville is legit. Curious to see what they do against BL today...
Apparently BL is even more legit...
Caddy Day
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

Top 2: McDonogh/Boys' Latin
Next 2: Calvert Hall/St. Mary's
Next 2: Loyola/Severn
The Rest: St. Paul's/John Carroll/Spalding/Gilman/Mt. St. Joseph
Good luck to all!!!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

5 league teams in action today. All should be good games.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:31 am 5 league teams in action today. All should be good games.
Game of the day being Haverford @ McDonogh...

Hill Academy (ON)
4 - 0
@
4:00p
St Pauls
0 - 3

Western Reserve Academy Prep (OH)
4 - 0
@
4:15p
Loyola-Blakefield
2 - 3

Haverford School (PA)
2 - 0
@
4:30p
McDonogh
4 - 0

Mount St Joseph
3 - 1
@
Archbishop Curley
0 - 2

Fallston
0 - 0
@
John Carroll
1 - 0
Caddy Day
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

StP by 6
Loyola by 2
:? Game of the day and hard to say this early in the season, Haverford by 1 but total toss up
MSJ by 7
JC by 5

Edited due to wrong Hill for first attempt, thanks Slim.
Last edited by pcowlax on Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Sp plays Hill School from PA not Hill Academy from CAN.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Western Reserve Academy Prep (OH)
4 - 0
@
4:15p
Loyola-Blakefield
2 - 3
I saw this game - 10-9 in triple overtime LB.
Some serious home cooking from the refs in this game.
Else, two very even teams.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

#1 Mcdonogh beats Haverford (PA) 11-5.
#4 Severn beat Catholic HS (VA) 18-6.
#6 Loyola beats Western Reserve (OH) 11-10 (3OT).
#7 St Paul's beats Hill School (PA) 11-4.
John Carroll Beats #12 Fallston 8-7 (OT).
Mt St Joe beats Curley 21-5.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:23 am #1 Mcdonogh beats Haverford (PA) 11-5.
#4 Severn beat Catholic HS (VA) 18-6.
#6 Loyola beats Western Reserve (OH) 11-10 (3OT).
#7 St Paul's beats Hill School (PA) 11-4.
John Carroll Beats #12 Fallston 8-7 (OT).
Mt St Joe beats Curley 21-5.
Is Mcdonogh still playing without McCabe Millon? That's a pretty impressive win over Haverford if so.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

blue angels wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:34 pm Is Mcdonogh still playing without McCabe Millon? That's a pretty impressive win over Haverford if so.
I'm curious about this, too. As well as the BL-Culver score...
Caddy Day

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”