Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Navy 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:22 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:18 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:21 am Looks like Xavier Arline is Navy's #1 QB for the foreseeable future. Given his need to develop his passing, I'd expect him to play spring FB in '23.
Hope he can pick up his lax stick in the spring of '24 for his senior season. There's a good chance he'll lead Navy to a win over Army this year & given Navy's AAC sched next year, lead the Mids to a winning FB season in '23.
uni watch
army

navy
I’ve chatted with at least 6 MIDS and each are in agreement the NASA theme missed the mark.
Army looks like JV oregon
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:22 am Go Navy
Beat Army !
What say you?
As posted on another thread "My heart says Navy, but head says Army. I'll go 20-17 Army".
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

You think Coach Ken's job is saved for at least another year regardless of what happens against Army today?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:30 pm You think Coach Ken's job is saved for at least another year regardless of what happens against Army today?
That's a great question.

I think the AD firing Jasper last year after getting smoked by AF, then bringing him back days later, was a shot across the bow, in an attempt to rattle the program. To date, not much has changed and Navy still struggles in damned near each game. Tyey are averaging ~100 less yards/gm since the Reynolds years and their passing is yards is not getting better. Why they can't find a damned qb that can pass first, then run the TO is astonishing.

Short answer no, why? Because, they are who they are...a mediocre at best team, that does a decent job, with a deep history. Coupled with a Coach that is damned near cutout for a SA, that truly gets it; it a healthy balance for the men of Ken. #FTC
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:35 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:22 am Go Navy
Beat Army !
What say you?
As posted on another thread "My heart says Navy, but head says Army. I'll go 20-17 Army".
I ran into an old Mid a few weeks back at a class reunion,
he clued me in on what is going on,

I think the team is coalescing around Arline and his Triple Option
play — I’ll guess that they can control the clock like they
did their last game - it’ll be close though, but Mids a slight
advantage.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ugly - 181 combined yards through nearly 2.5 quarters of offense
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:56 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:30 pm You think Coach Ken's job is saved for at least another year regardless of what happens against Army today?
That's a great question.

I think the AD firing Jasper last year after getting smoked by AF, then bringing him back days later, was a shot across the bow, in an attempt to rattle the program. To date, not much has changed and Navy still struggles in damned near each game. Tyey are averaging ~100 less yards/gm since the Reynolds years and their passing is yards is not getting better. Why they can't find a damned qb that can pass first, then run the TO is astonishing.

Short answer no, why? Because, they are who they are...a mediocre at best team, that does a decent job, with a deep history. Coupled with a Coach that is damned near cutout for a SA, that truly gets it; it a healthy balance for the men of Ken. #FTC
from the coaches or because airline is who he is, there's so little threat from the air they can't get anywhere. even picking the right hole is unlikely with 8 or 9 up in the box.

as airline scrambled for 6 or 7 seconds right, never even a thought to look downfield. and he had a guy and a window to throw it.
smoova

Post by smoova »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ugly,

but still, the best football game of the year.

A lot of unpredictable plays.
Fumble right at the goal line, too bad Mids,
onto next year and lacrosse.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Where the offense used to be precision and showed timing and teamwork, this showed none of the above. Maybe injuries, maybe lack of talent, maybe many things but this product was embarrassing. I do not question the effort or the true meaning of the game but neither side should be content with what they put on the field.

Navy’s offense used to be able to pick from thousands of applicants who ran the triple option in HS but were not high D1 material many times for size reasons. Those days are gone. Now it is RPO but Navy has neglected the P.

Time to rethink the system.
Last edited by Dip&Dunk on Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

9:05, XA calming the seas of emotion and supporting Anton after the fumble. Class act.

~Livy

HGK

Post by HGK »

This is my favorite game to watch every year. It’s not about executing the RPO or any other football specific issue. It’s about young men who are giving everything for their academies to beat the other on the field but will then go on to embrace those on the other side to serve and protect our nation together. Doesn’t get better than that.
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

As is often said and repeated "Most football games are lost than won." Navy lost the game due to unacceptable amount of penalties and two disastrous plays: blocked kick and goal line fumble. I still maintain, as a complete outsider to the Navy program, that there must be a QB out of the 6 or 7 on the roster that can run the TO AND pass the football. Seemingly not, so it's time to do some serious recruiting....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

NoLeft wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:32 am that there must be a QB out of the 6 or 7 on the roster that can run the TO AND pass the football. Seemingly not, so it's time to do some serious recruiting....
I believe it also cuts another layer deeper, one that is often overlooked. SA players can roll out before their junior year in order to avoid the backend commitment of serving post graduation. Meaning the staff also has to keep players engaged in "the system" to which they where recruited.

It's a tough job...but I agree with you entirely No left. It is very unfortunate that so little investment is applied to passing and receivers. With a combined total 18 WR's and TE's, that damned near never see the ball all year. Which also means the entire secondary has limited reps covering routes that would otherwise be 'real' options.

As wgdsr noted below, XA missed 'multiple' opportunities while scrambling, with receivers coming back towards him and sitting wide open as secondary crashed down towards him. I suppose they realize that turnovers are so damned pivotal b/c they play against the clock, that a pass attempt can happen when specified.
~Livy

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

USNA just announced head football coach Ken Niumatalolo will not return next season. Defensive coordinator Brian Newberry is the interim head coach.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:57 pm USNA just announced head football coach Ken Niumatalolo will not return next season. Defensive coordinator Brian Newberry is the interim head coach.
Thanks, the tweet came out same time I posted. After reading it, I wonder if it is written in such vagueness as to make it sound like a "mutually agreed time to leave"?

https://twitter.com/navyathletics/statu ... NvI6Yf4irw
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

I just hope Brian Newberry's not already gone & he gets the job.

The press release announced Newberry as Interim HC & didn't say anything about a national job search.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Yeesh. Pretty cold and clinical announcement for somebody who was there 15 years. I guess there's no gracious way to fire somebody, though. Best of luck to Coach Ken.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

If the runner scores instead of fumbling he imight still br there. Brian was a neighbor for awhile. Nice man and family. Another former neighbor dropped by last night. Teaches at the Academy. Crushing loss.
molo

Post by molo »

The article in the Sun makes it clear that this was not a mutually agreed upon decision.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”