Landmark Conference 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Brain

Re: Landmark Conference 2022

Post by Brain »

Elizabethtown will pull the upset on Catholic this weekend. Rumor has it the Catholic squad has been watching Biden press conferences from the White House lawn instead of film all week. A look ahead spot for Catholic. Don’t be surprised if Etown rolls into the nations capital and gives them Catholic boys the ole pastor treatment. Etown by 6. Book it.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Brain......Welcome to the Landmark forum.

Safe to say that whichever team wins the battle in DC today will be the #1 seed in May.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

In a game reminiscent of some of their past classics, Catholic (7-3, 3-0) edged Elizabethtown 14-13 (6-6, 2-1) in a game that was tied six different times. Sean Baudo with 5 goals and an assist led the Cardinals offense. He was supported by Joey Rockovich (3,0 with 5 GBs) and Cameron Dunn (1,2.) Ryan Carroll had 4 assists. Mike McShea was 21 of 29 at faceoff with 10 GBs. Nic Pezone had 23 saves and also added a goal of his own. For the Blue Jays, Rilet Langen, Owen Yake and Micah Ballew had 3 goals each and NickCOst chipped in 4 assists. Brayden Franey had 22 saves in this gane which featured an amazing 110 shots (56 for Catholic and 54 for Elizabethtown.

Scranton (6-5, 1-2) broke open a tie game with 4 unanswered second quarter goals and ran away from Susquehanna (7-6, 1-2) 13-9. Chris Crapanzano had 4 goals and an assist, Matt McAree added two goals and 4 assists, along with 5 GBs and MItchell Kozak notched a hat trick and an assist for the Royals offense. On defense, Colin Pierce gathered up 5 GBs and caused 3 turnovers. Evan Rosa had 12 saves for Scranton. Ryan Prum excelled at faceoff for Susquehanna, winning 18 of 26 with 11 GBs First-year Kieran Thomas led the River Hawks offense with 3 goals and an assist.

In a game that was tied 5-5 entering the fourth quarter, Moravian (6-3, 2-1) put up 7 goals and held Goucher (2-10, 1-2) scoreless in the fourth quarter to take the victory 12-5. Trevor Dzama (3,1) and Connor James (3,0) led the Greyhounds on offense with Steven Salica and Zach Bergeron adding 2 goals each. Ben Walek went 18 of 21 with 11 GBs at faceoff for the winners. For the Gophers, goalie Justin Lugo had 24 saves and defenseman Sean Nolan caused 4 turnovers.

Drew (8-4, 2-1) defeated Juniata (1-9, 0-3) 19-10. Brett Spafford netted 4 goals, Mike DeMayo and Charlie Collins each had a hat trick and Craig Wilkie contributed a goal and 4 assists. At faceoff for the Rangers, GJ Nazziola was 23/27 with 12 GBs. On defense, Jack Tynan had 5 GBs and caused 3 turnovers. For Juniata, goalie Justin Toney had a career-high 26 saves and Jack Loucks had 4 goals.
laxbro1955

Post by laxbro1955 »

Great Game between Cath and Etown. Perzone had his best game of the season. Lucky for him E'town was hitting pipes and not scoring in the first quarter might have gotten out of hand. Etown had their defense back which made the difference from last year. Game could have gone either way. Etown made the 4 quarter their worst for turnovers which caused them the game. The rematch will be for the conference championship in May. Hopefully neither team will have any injuries. Catholic will have the advantage with home field but will be hard to beat the same team 4 times in a row. Should be a good one to watch.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

World class post Brain.

Heck of a game. Pezone and Mcshea were dominant all day and key offensive guys stepped up.

Etown has alot of talent and I am very excited for a potential rematch in DC.
Brain

Post by Brain »

LI_Lax14 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:42 pm World class post Brain.

Heck of a game. Pezone and Mcshea were dominant all day and key offensive guys stepped up.

Etown has alot of talent and I am very excited for a potential rematch in DC.
Happy to be here.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

Was tough to watch that Goucher game. Great through 3 quarters but they fall apart after they get tested.
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

Brain wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:03 pm Elizabethtown will pull the upset on Catholic this weekend. Rumor has it the Catholic squad has been watching Biden press conferences from the White House lawn instead of film all week. A look ahead spot for Catholic. Don’t be surprised if Etown rolls into the nations capital and gives them Catholic boys the ole pastor treatment. Etown by 6. Book it.
Etown by 6. Hmm
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

laxdad30 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:35 pm Was tough to watch that Goucher game. Great through 3 quarters but they fall apart after they get tested.
Yeah, you are right. Goucher hung in and hustled for three quarters but the team looked gassed in the fourth, especially the defense. And Moravian went 8 for 8 on faceoffs, won the ground ball battle 13-4 and outshot the Gophers 18-7 in the last quarter. Goucher had 24 turnovers and did not clear the ball well, especially in the fourth.

Hopefully, a good learning experience for the Gophers. I did notice that Lugo was not part of the senior day. Is he coming back?
laxbro1955

Post by laxbro1955 »

Hope the conference gets back to 4 teams being pretty equal in talent. This is the second year its all about two teams. I guess its the transfer portal and the extra year of eligibility. Don't think either school is in the top 20 in talent even though Catholic has been looked at. Catholic will find that out when they play Salsbury in a couple of weeks. The conference isn't looking that good these past 2 years.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

nevadajoe wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:34 pm
laxdad30 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:35 pm Was tough to watch that Goucher game. Great through 3 quarters but they fall apart after they get tested.
Yeah, you are right. Goucher hung in and hustled for three quarters but the team looked gassed in the fourth, especially the defense. And Moravian went 8 for 8 on faceoffs, won the ground ball battle 13-4 and outshot the Gophers 18-7 in the last quarter. Goucher had 24 turnovers and did not clear the ball well, especially in the fourth.

Hopefully, a good learning experience for the Gophers. I did notice that Lugo was not part of the senior day. Is he coming back?
I think My son said that he took most of the year off last year from school. So yeah I believe he is back with the team for another year.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

laxbro1955 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:57 pm Hope the conference gets back to 4 teams being pretty equal in talent. This is the second year its all about two teams. I guess its the transfer portal and the extra year of eligibility. Don't think either school is in the top 20 in talent even though Catholic has been looked at. Catholic will find that out when they play Salsbury in a couple of weeks. The conference isn't looking that good these past 2 years.
Salisbury against Landmark teams since 2008.

nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Salisbury against Landmark teams

2009 Scranton 24-6
2012 Goucher 12-4 NCAA tournament 2nd round
2013 Susquehanna 22-2 NCAA tournament 1st round
2016 Catholic 19-6 NCAA tournament 1st round
2021 Susquehanna 27-4
2022 Scranton 25-5
laxbro1955

Post by laxbro1955 »

Record says it all. The best kids in Landmark prob wouldn't even play on the top 15 team in D3.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

laxbro1955 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:52 pm Record says it all. The best kids in Landmark prob wouldn't even play on the top 15 team in D3.
I wouldn't say that. There are players that could easily be on top teams but chose their school for various reasons.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

laxdad30 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:49 pm
laxbro1955 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:52 pm Record says it all. The best kids in Landmark prob wouldn't even play on the top 15 team in D3.
I wouldn't say that. There are players that could easily be on top teams but chose their school for various reasons.
I agree they can make the top teams, but his post said “play” for those teams. I’m afraid he is correct in his thinking. They could not be difference makers for those teams.
laxbro1955

Post by laxbro1955 »

I didn't mean to insult any players in the Landmark. There is just a big difference at that level, these teams get the best players because they win D3 championships. The D1 kids that don't play at that level leave and go to these teams to win championships. These schools are better funded and have Alumni that donate a ton of money. Thats how they have 4 helmets all different and uniforms and endless equipment. Im sure the coaches also get paid handsomely compared to our conference. Some of our teams are lucky to have 2 coaches on side lines because there is no budget. I think the biggest attraction for coaches is the automatic bid to NCAA playoffs.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

River Donkey wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:04 pm
laxdad30 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:49 pm
I agree they can make the top teams, but his post said “play” for those teams. I’m afraid he is correct in his thinking. They could not be difference makers for those teams.
Again it only says PLAY. not difference makers. There are many young men out there that play to the level of their competition. Therefore when faced with a tougher opponent, they rise and play at their level. Its not ALL about sports for all of these young men. Its unfair to think that but you are entitled to your opinion. I'm sure that the 1st and 2nd team Landmark all-conference players are pretty good.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

As a long-time observer of the Landmark Conference, I feel the need to respond.

Firstly, the Landmark is in the middle of all the Division III conferences, well behind in talent level to some but far ahead of others as well. And it is directly related to some of the reasons that have been expressed on this forum.

Having said that, here's a list of former Landmark players who could have contributed and yes, even started, for a Top 15 D-III school. I know that I might have left some deserving players out so feel free to make any additions.

Attack
Geoff Harty Merchant Marine
Zach Gray Merchant Marine
Brian Flannery Merchant Marine
Austin Lein Susquehanna
Tim Keith Catholic
Brendan Englert Catholic
Joe Clark Elizabethtown
Mike Scrafano Elizabethtown
Jon Bucknam Drew
Sam Fitzpatrick Goucher
Kyle Boncaro Goucher
Rory Averett Goucher

Middie
Bennett Bradley Catholic
Chris Fuccillo Catholic
Walter Hickey Catholic
Matt Lynch Goucher
Mike Specht Elizabethtown
Marcus Cheatham Susquehanna

Defense/LSM
Michael DiGiovanni Drew
Justin Dunn Goucher
David Jadin Goucher
Corrie Van Haasteren Susquehanna
Kade MacGregor Susquehanna
Travis Yaga Susquehanna
Tim Cleary Scranton
Ryan Millard Scranton
Jeremy Klipple Elaizabethtown
Jimmy Schickne Moravian

Faceoff
Sean McGowan Drew
Jon Dowiak Drew
Adam Drury Scranton
Pat Cefalu Scranton
Colin Purdy Scranton
Mike McShea Catholic
Chris Whitenack Merchant Marine

Goalie
Ben Worthington Scranton
Dylan Abplanalp Susquehanna
Charlie DeSocio Drew
Tom Mahoney Elizabethtown
Connor Mishaw Goucher
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

I think there are several players this year that could easily contribute on Top15 rosters. Prime examples are Crowley(AA), Hillear(AA)y, and Mcshea. There are also several other players across the conference that could as well. As stated the Landmark is a middle of the pack conference that is top heavy at the moment. I think Covid severely affected several schools in the conference and the hope is they can bounce back and be competitive again.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”