ACC Tourney

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxfan500

Re: ACC Tourney

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:07 am Pretty hard to think otherwise, that team has got it all from A to Z and the odds of them taking home the hardware are pretty darn good (I don't like seeing teams go into the NC game undefeated, this one would be a good one for them to lose. It's just so very tough to not have one day when everything isn't clicking quite right and the ball's just not bouncing your way...not good to have that day on NC day). While UNC might take the hardware home, this Cuse team is the champion of grit, determination, and overcoming. I believe they've far exceeded the expectations of many after #51 went down and now again after #22 went down. A very gutsy team of champions indeed.
I think the almost loss to ND reg season kind of achieved what you are saying . They didn’t lose but it was so close to maybe shake them out of their complacency?
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Watching SU vs. BC. I have not watched BC much this season, but from the opening draw, a loud SU dad was screaming “red is not going up” the refs and the refs seemed to agree. Is this a known issue with North on the draw?
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:15 am Watching SU vs. BC. I have not watched BC much this season, but from the opening draw, a loud SU dad was screaming “red is not going up” the refs and Sheehan seemed to agree. Fairly obvious on replay. Is this a known issue with North on the draw?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:15 am Watching SU vs. BC. I have not watched BC much this season, but from the opening draw, a loud SU dad was screaming “red is not going up” the refs and the refs seemed to agree. Is this a known issue with North on the draw?
I think so. Gait complained about it in game 2 in the Dome, and the replays confirm that Charlotte goes sideways almost every time, in differing degrees. Gaming the rules and reminding the officials of the gaming...are all part of the game.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Was anyone keeping an eye on the live stats during the UNC/ND game? If so, were you a little shocked to see 44 fouls committed by ND? and 24 by the half?? 44 seems extremely high for any team, even if this was Stony Brook/Cuse/NU

I think Cuse might be able to make this game closer than their first meeting if they make the right adjustments. Still don't see them beating UNC, but I'm hoping it's more competitive than the previous meeting.
DMac

Post by DMac »

What adjustments would you make v the virtually flawless, speedy, talented, efficient, and loaded Heels?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:51 pm What adjustments would you make v the virtually flawless, speedy, talented, efficient, and loaded Heels?
I don't think we are talking about adjustments so much as execution. Syracuse needs to win draws and be really efficient on clears and offense. Asa needs to have a good game. Defense needs to make UNC use a lot of clock and shorten the game. The problem on defense is exacerbated by the emergence of Wurzburger as a legitimate target for Hoeg along with No. 3, and as a passer in the event you FG Hoeg. The short version: Syracuse plays a great game, and UNC has one of those afternoons. Longshot, particularly as UNC's midfield is so very deep and rested.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

DMac wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:51 pm What adjustments would you make v the virtually flawless, speedy, talented, efficient, and loaded Heels?
I wouldn't run a high-pressure defense against UNC. They're too athletic, they're too smart, and they move the ball to well; it just creates chances for them. Duke had success when they played a sunk-in man-to-man with lots of help slides, and when they played a sunk-in zone that baited passes into the middle. I know Ortega was out and I wouldn't wager on Duke repeating that level of success, but that's where I would start. Cuse executes their zone better than Duke does so maybe they'll have some success on that end.

The Cuse middies need to do all they can to prevent UNC fast break opportunities. Read potential turnovers/saves a step ahead and bust your butt back. Those UNC defenders are FAST and they know exactly how to move the ball on fast breaks.

And as Sea said, play a near-perfect game. Not much room for unforced errors.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, in a nutshell Cuse has got to play a nearly flawless game in order to beat this nearly flawless team. It's not quite a Daviddonna v Goliathena match up but we all know who the clear favorite is (if you had to make a bet, who you bettin' on here).. On top of that, you need to score on nearly every possession as empty possessions are very likely to cost you dearly v a team of this caliber...a tall task for sure. FPSs are absolutely gotta have goals.
In looking at the stats v BC, Cuse did a pretty darn good job in that game. A big one is clears, Cuse went 21 for 21 and they're going to have to be that efficient in this one too, the last thing you want is a TO there which results in the Heels coming back blazing to the cage on a fast break....that doesn't usually end well for their opponents. Cuse got beat by 4 on the draw but had 4 fewer TOs, 4 more GBs, 2 more SOG, and needless to say put 2 more in the cage (1 was in an empty cage with 50 sec or so to go but I liked that one). They're going to need that kind of play again today in order to have a shot and beating these Heels. Am a little concerned about Emma Ward trying to do too much today, hope she plays within herself and just does what she does as part of the O.
Imagine this, Cuse doesn't have four very good players out on the injured and unable to play list and Wurzburger does come to Cuse rather than going to UNC. How would that team match up with UNC?
So we've got Cuse v UNC, NU v Md, both starting at noon. C'mon!!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:03 am So we've got Cuse v UNC, NU v Md, both starting at noon. C'mon!!
Yep--two blowouts (and maybe 3 if you count UMass) to begin at noon. I'm watching Northwestern in hopes that they drag Maryland up and down the field for another humiliating running clock beatdown. As the character in Stephen King's The Dead Zone kept saying in differing forms during the Wheel of Fortune scene: "Man, I love to watch this (team) get a beatin'". I doubt I'll watch the replay of the ACC final. When you've seen one Tar Heel win in 2021, you've seen 'em all. Yup--they can all score. Yup they have great goaltending. Yup they have great defense. Yup yup yup. https://youtu.be/NVa8citnWhY
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse takes the lead
Whoda thunk it.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Here we go again.

Cuse girls get knocked to the gound insude the 8 meter—no call

Cuse sneezes toward a NC player free shot
DMac

Post by DMac »

Poor Cuse D, playin' their tails off, keeping the flood gates from opening, Asa a couple of nice stops too.
NC D crazy good too, plus Merino has the Cuse gals psyched out, hesitant to shoot.
Carney's absence is a killer today, really could use that gal.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Gotta clean up the TOs.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cletus wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:12 am
DMac wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:03 am So we've got Cuse v UNC, NU v Md, both starting at noon. C'mon!!
Yep--two blowouts (and maybe 3 if you count UMass) to begin at noon.
You're not a big gambler are you?
4-2 UNC at the half, you've done pretty darn good if you've held this
team to 4 for the first 30. 30 more to go. :?
DMac

Post by DMac »

seacoaster wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:50 pm Gotta clean up the TOs.
Indeed....gotta figure out a way to get the ball in the cage too.
Nicely done by Ward.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:53 pm
Cletus wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:12 am
Yep--two blowouts (and maybe 3 if you count UMass) to begin at noon.
You're not a big gambler are you?
4-2 UNC at the half, you've done pretty darn good if you've held this
team to 4 for the first 30. 30 more to go. :?
7-7 at the half in the B1G final.
DMac

Post by DMac »

So who would have bet that the combined half time score of these two games would be 11-9 at the half?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Very nice. Bet Cuse is hangin' a whole lot closer to these Heels than most would have thought.
5-3
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Cuse doing a good job slowing down Carolina's fast break

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”