2021 NCAA Tournament

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Post by jrn19 »

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Hopkins is playing as well or better than some teams on the bubble. I mean, are they really playing any worse than Army right now? They’ve looked better to me the last few weeks than Army has in scoring 4 vs Navy or yesterday. Cuse continues to play defense like the other team has Covid and they don’t wanna be within 6 feet.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:59 pm It’s just seeding. MD is going to get a 2 or 3 so they can split Duke and UNC I would be pretty sure of so who cares between 2 & 3? Notre Dame is probably going to be 4 so you’re looking at the top 4 seeds being three ACC teams and MD. Kind of doesn’t matter. That 5 seed could be valuable vs the 6 seed in Rd 1 opponent, less because of the challenge of winning that game for a 5 or 6 but rather the impact of a relatively tougher vs slightly easier matchup in further rounds form being banged up or a little more spent in a short one and done tourney.
There’s no chance the committee is going to care about splitting up Duke and UNC in a potential SEMIFINAL matchup. Are you serious? Their job isn’t to try and arrange a championship matchup, and as you say 3 of the top 4 (probably 4 of the top 5) will all be ACC so there’s no way to avoid a potential semifinal conflict. It’s one thing to try and avoid conference matchups when slotting in the unseeded teams, but the top seed isn’t picked based off of that nonsense.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Loyola?

Is Denver a bubble team?

Nova has really been fine but has the smear of that opening game L to GTown which was an evisceration.

Hop is playing better than Rutgers and perhaps Army though fair or unfair I throw out the star game.

Hop is playing well but top 8 was the claim.

UVM has won 4-5 straight, one oddball loss to Bing a month ago but they have a number of transfers (Levandowski and the kid from Middlebury think more) and talent.

Bryant got their best player now and just roped a St Joes team that had won 8 straight.

Always better to finish the season strong and have optimism going into the next season so hop fan should be fired up but they happen to one of a number who finished the season strong. Not sure that means they're taking out top 8 teams regularly right now. Not to mention the familiarity of playing a team the second or third time in a season typically isn’t ending in blowouts.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
calourie

Post by calourie »

NYterp09 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:48 pm
calourie wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:19 pm So the question now becomes who has Maryland beaten? Two victories over the Rutgers, the only +.500 team on their schedule. Probably not enough to get them a #1 seed, perhaps not even a #2 despite their undefeated record. No great difference between 2 and 3 in that whoever they are would be slated to meet each other in the semis if everything were to go according to form. In any event we will find out for sure tomorrow night.
Tell me why an ACC team with two losses and a garbage OOC schedule deserves to get in over UMD...
I'm assuming you mean get a #1 seed over Maryland. The reason would be quality wins as in UNC boasts wins against Denver, UVA, Notre Dame, Duke, SoCon winner High Point, and a Flawed Syracuse team that still managed to beat a number of +.500 teams, while Terps can only hang their hats on their 2 Rutgers wins, with Rutgers looking like they are more or less the equivalent of Cuse.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NYterp09 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:22 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:59 pm It’s just seeding. MD is going to get a 2 or 3 so they can split Duke and UNC I would be pretty sure of so who cares between 2 & 3? Notre Dame is probably going to be 4 so you’re looking at the top 4 seeds being three ACC teams and MD. Kind of doesn’t matter. That 5 seed could be valuable vs the 6 seed in Rd 1 opponent, less because of the challenge of winning that game for a 5 or 6 but rather the impact of a relatively tougher vs slightly easier matchup in further rounds form being banged up or a little more spent in a short one and done tourney.
There’s no chance the committee is going to care about splitting up Duke and UNC in a potential SEMIFINAL matchup. Are you serious? Their job isn’t to try and arrange a championship matchup, and as you say 3 of the top 4 (probably 4 of the top 5) will all be ACC so there’s no way to avoid a potential semifinal conflict. It’s one thing to try and avoid conference matchups when slotting in the unseeded teams, but the top seed isn’t picked based off of that nonsense.
Completely serious. It’s happened before and can happen again. If you think that sort of thing hasn’t or doesn’t happen in numerous NCAA sanctioned sports then I don’t k ow what to tell you.

And I think you’re missing the point. I never said avoiding any semifinal rematches I’m talking specifically about two schools. You’ve inferred too much outside of the words I used.

MD is doubtful to be #1 without any OOC wins. Blame the BigTen admin.
See Martin, Malcolm
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:31 pm
Completely serious. It’s happened before and can happen again. If you think that sort of thing hasn’t or doesn’t happen in numerous NCAA sanctioned sports then I don’t k ow what to tell you.

And I think you’re missing the point. I never said avoiding any semifinal rematches I’m talking specifically about two schools. You’ve inferred too much outside of the words I used.

When has the NCAA put two schools on opposite sides to avoid a rematch of a regular season game? I can actually give you an example Of them doing the OPPOSITE; in 2019 they could have put Penn and Yale on the opposite side and instead had them play their THIRD game of the year in the Quarterfinals
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

You literally said that UMD would be #2 so that they can split up Duke and unc...as in so they can avoid a potential semifinal matchup. Is there some other way I’m supposed to interpret that?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Forget it, I have a reason to root for MD this year. I can and know if examples but it’s not like they always publicly disclose these things, sometimes people hear from primary sources. Not only in lacrosse but I have primary source confirmation this has happened in D1 BB and D3 football.

Just tired of the BS BigTen boasting, crying and tearing down the ACC and every other programs except the Ivies where I’m sure next year there‘ll be a reason they are suspect if it helps whatever position. It’s really weak and a poor look. Even now it’s happening on the Hop thread as well.

Let’s just get this over with so all the ridiculous heuristics can end.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sat May 08, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Martin, Malcolm
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:44 pm Forget it, I have a reason to root for MD this year. Just tired of the BS BigTen boasting, crying and tearing down the ACC and every other programs except the Ivies where I’m sure next year there‘LL be a reason they are suspect if it helps whatever position.

Let’s just get this over with so all the ridiculous heuristics can end.
What does Maryland or the Big Ten have to do with the committee seeding Duke and UNC on opposite sides to avoid a rematch?

I asked you a question to a claim you made and provided a counterpoint to it from the last tournament. That was it
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Except you're wrong. Maryland is the #1 seed. It's not even in doubt. And the great thing is it doesn't matter because the best team will win in the tournament. This is a lot more fun than 2020!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Because I can’t say what I know so sorry. Maybe you all should just put up and do it on the field. I don’t even know what the difference between a 1 & 4 seed is this year because if we go chalk MD will have beaten two ACC teams min, probably 3. If not...
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:47 pm

Except you're wrong. Maryland is the #1 seed. It's not even in doubt. And the great thing is it doesn't matter because the best team will win in the tournament. This is a lot more fun than 2020!
I said doubtful, when did reading comprehension become such an issue. The lack of QW does and will matter but we will see. MD did all they could despite the conference set up this year.

Agreed so why then are 90% of BigTen fans crying about the ACC conspiracy, crapping in everyone else and spinning everything? Why not shut up and win it all soup to nuts for the first time since what, UVA in 06?
See Martin, Malcolm
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:48 pm Because I can’t say what I know so sorry. Maybe you all should just put up and do it on the field. I don’t even know what the difference between a 1 & 4 seed is this year because if we go chalk MD will have beaten two ACC teams min, probably 3. If not...
I can’t put up and do anything on the field; I’m not on the team
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We all are in the same boat. Why so consistently defensive then?
See Martin, Malcolm
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Also, what does “I can’t say what I know” mean

If you have examples of the NCAA doing what you said, please provide them. You’re the one who made the claim
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:51 pm We all are in the same boat. Why so consistently defensive then?
Who’s being defensive here? You’re the one who’s whining about how ACC conspiracy theorists and Big Ten homers or whatever. I couldn’t care less
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Look on a dozen threads and it’s been happening for a month or longer. Nothing I’m doing is whining it’s a counterpoint to a lot of BS.

I can’t think of any champion in any sport who would’ve thought the way folks are here. It’s put your head down and get it down regardless of circumstance.
See Martin, Malcolm
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:50 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:47 pm

I said doubtful, when did reading comprehension become such an issue. The lack of QW does and will matter but we will see. MD did all they could despite the conference set up this year.

Agreed so why then are 90% of BigTen fans crying about the ACC conspiracy, crapping in everyone else and spinning everything? Why not shut up and win it all soup to nuts for the first time since what, UVA in 06?
Dang dude, you've seemed so balanced and fair until tonight. Maryland will get the #1 seed. That's just the way it is this year. It doesn't matter if their analytics merit it or not, they are 100% getting the top seed. Every other team in the tournament still has a chance to beat them, so ultimately nobody remembers or cares what seeds teams got in the beginning of May.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

And that’s fine too. Hopefully if they win it my boy Holden makes a significant impact. Otherwise I don’t care prob root for a rando champ like GTown or Lehigh.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:51 pm Also, what does “I can’t say what I know” mean

If you have examples of the NCAA doing what you said, please provide them. You’re the one who made the claim
Then I said forget it but you won’t let me. Completely consistent and logical but whatever.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”