Transfer Portal 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by OCanada »

If Shay stays at Yale as rumors suggest I interpret that as his feeling the world isn’t ending for Ivy lax.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Alex Trippi is in there? That seems like a notable one
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:13 pm Alex Trippi is in there? That seems like a notable one
Definitely notable. He would be a starting attackman for a lot of teams.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

He probably should have been a starting attackmen for UNC. Was basically just as productive as Kelly in less playing time.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:26 pm He probably should have been a starting attackmen for UNC. Was basically just as productive as Kelly in less playing time.
Probably why he's in the portal TBH
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:15 pm
Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:52 pm
livelovelax wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:28 am Have helped a few kids get to IVY schools over the last 2-3 years and the players and parents are angry and if they had the chance to do over, they would have gone anywhere but the IVY.
That makes no sense. When my son was being recruited 10-11 years ago, the Ivy coaches (and others) stated that you are a college student that plays lacrosse and not a lacrosse player that attends college. They emphasized that a student should choose a college for the college and not for lacrosse or the coach. There is no guaranteed playing time and coaches leave, but you still need to attend and get your degree. Of the 40-60 players on a D1 roster (10-15 recruits a year), more than half do not play regularly. About 18 players see time in a game. The rest dress and watch on the bench or don't dress and are practice players. When you choose a college, you have to consider that you might get injured, or you might not be one of those 18 who play, or you may not like the coach after all. And when you graduate, the chances of making lacrosse a career are minuscule, but your degree stays with you for the rest of your life. So if a high school student who plays lacrosse is considering an Ivy school, my advice (and that of almost any other reasonable intelligent adult) would be "hell yes - consider it" and if that school is the best fit, by all means enroll. Any other advice is myopic. The Ivies will be fine.
Nope...a good parent would say.... “I know you like Brown Johnny but they didn’t play lacrosse during a pandemic....Bryant and Providence have good lacrosse teams and are in the Providence area....what’s wrong with those schools son?...Johnny you should pick a school where sports come first....Like Ohio State.” Those Ivy Leaguers are just too pretentious.
The right choice is always Salisbury. Your kid is guaranteed a ring.
Hate to break the news to you but . . . .
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:02 pm
blue angels wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:44 pm That said, I do think the Ivies will 'suffer' a bit initially relative to "BigLaxU" schools due to the Covid dilemma creating extra eligibility years unlikely to be used at an Ivy.
Don’t know exact details but Think this might have already have occurred in the high school ranks. Virginia flipped attack Thomas Mencke from Harvard, who has been invited to the Under Armour AA game. Expect it to have some impact……….
That may be, but it's baked into the recruiting classes already. Maybe it's early, but I do not see a disproportionate number of Ivy Leaguers in the transfer portal. And many of those that are in the portal are 5th years looking for graduate programs.
[/quote]

Many of the top Ivy League players already transferred for this past season so already done…..for high school recruits it Probably is also done for 2021 but how about future classes? I suspect we won’t know that answer for awhile.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:12 pm If Shay stays at Yale as rumors suggest I interpret that as his feeling the world isn’t ending for Ivy lax.
And he would probably be right too. That said, 2020 was likely to have been a high water mark for the Ivy that is unlikely to be repeated on a regular basis (how often is the Ivy going to have two Tewey-type guys in a single year?). And I think the Ivy teams will struggle a bit in 2022. The lost year and all of its knock-on effects has to drag the league down a fair bit. But I think Shay is top-5 coach, so Yale will definitely be back and the mistakes of 2020 will recede in people's memories, while the names Harvard, Princeton, Yale won't.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you guys are all talking like ivy ai spots will be around in 5 years.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Schutz flipped to UVA from BU long before Covid. As I watched UVA celly on Monday I was thinking: and they get Schutz next year. The rich get richer. :o
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:02 pm you guys are all talking like ivy ai spots will be around in 5 years.
I tend to think they will be around. I don’t believe change can continue at this rate indefinitely. But what do I know.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:42 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:15 pm
Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:52 pm
livelovelax wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:28 am Have helped a few kids get to IVY schools over the last 2-3 years and the players and parents are angry and if they had the chance to do over, they would have gone anywhere but the IVY.
That makes no sense. When my son was being recruited 10-11 years ago, the Ivy coaches (and others) stated that you are a college student that plays lacrosse and not a lacrosse player that attends college. They emphasized that a student should choose a college for the college and not for lacrosse or the coach. There is no guaranteed playing time and coaches leave, but you still need to attend and get your degree. Of the 40-60 players on a D1 roster (10-15 recruits a year), more than half do not play regularly. About 18 players see time in a game. The rest dress and watch on the bench or don't dress and are practice players. When you choose a college, you have to consider that you might get injured, or you might not be one of those 18 who play, or you may not like the coach after all. And when you graduate, the chances of making lacrosse a career are minuscule, but your degree stays with you for the rest of your life. So if a high school student who plays lacrosse is considering an Ivy school, my advice (and that of almost any other reasonable intelligent adult) would be "hell yes - consider it" and if that school is the best fit, by all means enroll. Any other advice is myopic. The Ivies will be fine.
Nope...a good parent would say.... “I know you like Brown Johnny but they didn’t play lacrosse during a pandemic....Bryant and Providence have good lacrosse teams and are in the Providence area....what’s wrong with those schools son?...Johnny you should pick a school where sports come first....Like Ohio State.” Those Ivy Leaguers are just too pretentious.
The right choice is always Salisbury. Your kid is guaranteed a ring.
Hate to break the news to you but . . . .
I believe the stat was...if you were on the roster for 4 years, you have a championship ring, dating back 27 years. Losing the 2020 CV-19 season and losing this year broke the string.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:55 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:02 pm you guys are all talking like ivy ai spots will be around in 5 years.
I tend to think they will be around. I don’t believe change can continue at this rate indefinitely. But what do I know.
that's how this all started. that, and droopy faced fairfield county (insert your ne west proxy) dads.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Ivy AI spots ( hurdles) are always changing.....Let’s see how many convert their varsity sports to club. I bet they all do.....these people are wasting money.

https://facilities.princeton.edu/projec ... ts-stadium
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:51 pm
Ivy AI spots ( hurdles) are always changing.....Let’s see how many convert their varsity sports to club. I bet they all do.....these people are wasting money.

are they, though? the point was raised. maybe, just maybe, it's gotten really, really competitive for an ivy spot... so how many and how long are spots reserved for folks whose specialty is sports? has covid emphasized that morph and emboldened stakeholders that will wrestle with boosters? it's a legitimate question.

you may disagree and see it as far fetched. only those in a very tight circle know which way the wind is blowing.

and after all, everything i've read... they're students first. everyone's happy.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:52 pm

are they, though? the point was raised. maybe, just maybe, it's gotten really, really competitive for an ivy spot... so how many and how long are spots reserved for folks whose specialty is sports? has covid emphasized that morph and emboldened stakeholders that will wrestle with boosters? it's a legitimate question.

you may disagree and see it as far fetched. only those in a very tight circle know which way the wind is blowing.

and after all, everything i've read... they're students first. everyone's happy.
Not sure. Yale has increased enrollment capacity and Princeton has as well as a result of building new residential colleges. I believe Princeton has more economic diversity than most of its peers. In Princeton’s case, those new slots won’t be for Fairfield County, Westchester County, Montgomery County, Louden County lax types.

Anything is possible. I will believe Ivy League schools will drop varsity sports when I see it. NESCAC drop varsity sports yet? I wonder how many AI slots Williams gets? MIT fields 30+ varsity sports....not many “slots” there.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:01 pm

Not sure. Yale has increased enrollment capacity and Princeton has as well as a result of building new residential colleges. I believe Princeton has more economic diversity than most of its peers. In Princeton’s case, those new slots won’t be for Fairfield County, Westchester County, Montgomery County, Louden County lax types.

Anything is possible. I will believe Ivy League schools will drop varsity sports when I see it. NESCAC drop varsity sports yet? I wonder how many AI slots Williams gets?
what's williams' endowment?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 pm

Anything is possible. I will believe Ivy League schools will drop varsity sports when I see it. NESCAC drop varsity sports yet? I wonder how many AI slots Williams gets?
Close to $3B I believe.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:17 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 pm

Close to $3B I believe.
2.6 to 2.7. charitably, less than 10% of hyp. hyp doesn't "need" the money.
does williams?
hyp is in the home stretch. we got what we need. what do we want to be? do we want to unequivocally be the best?

stanford. dartmouth. winds of change.

caltech and mit survive and thrive.

it's all conjecture at this point. but still.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”