Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Walker-Weinstein on BC Defense: 'They Get No Credit, and They’re Absolute Beasts'

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

The 2021 national champions are still rolling.

No. 1 Boston College took down No. 4 Northwestern 18-9 in its season opener on Saturday, securing its 34th consecutive win at home and kicking off the season with a top-five win.

“It was a great feeling,” coach Acacia Walker-Weinstein said. “I was proud of our team, proud of how the defense really stepped up and took it to a very good offensive team, having to stop some really dynamic players.”

The Eagles’ starting lineup featured a strong returning core from its national championship team. Ten of Saturday’s starters also started last year’s title game, a sign of the dynamic talent that came back to Chestnut Hill. Walker-Weinstein said these returners create security on the field, allowing the team to take risks.

Key to the Eagles’ success was their show-stopper defense. BC held the Wildcats — the top scoring offense in the NCAA in 2021 that won’t have top scorer Izzy Scane this season due to an ACL injury — to just nine goals. Senior attacker Lauren Gilbert, one of the NCAA’s top scorers in 2021, had just one goal. Senior goalkeeper Rachel Hall anchored the defense, recording eight saves. She was supported by an experienced unit of returners, including graduate student Melanie Welch, sophomore Sydney Scales, junior Hollie Schleicher and sophomore Hunter Roman.

“They get no credit, and they’re absolute beasts,” Walker-Weinstein said of the defense. “They’re so good at what they do. For so long, the offense gets so much of the credit, but our defense is so dynamic and stable and so consistent. They’re the backbone of our team and work so unselfishly together.”

Graduate student defender Courtney Taylor had a breakout game in her first contest with the Eagles, notching five ground balls and two draw controls. Taylor, a 2021 third-team IWLCA All-American at Temple, has brought “so much depth” to the Eagles’ defensive unit, Walker-Weinstein said.

Charlotte North anchored the Eagles’ offense in typical fashion, featuring plenty of crafty stick work, skilled dodging and powerful shooting. She led the attack with seven goals, and sophomore midfielder Belle Smith and senior attacker Caitlynn Mossman each chipped in three of their own.

The Eagles commanded the game from the start, notching three goals less than three minutes into the matchup. They never trailed. The Wildcats came within three goals during the third quarter, but they couldn’t stage a comeback. Walker-Weinstein credited her defense’s ability to stick to and execute the game plan as key to keeping Northwestern at arm’s length.

Dominating on the draw also played a central role in the Eagles’ victory. BC won 19 draws to NU’s 10 — steadily handling a unit that led the country in draw controls per game in 2021. North controlled 12 on her own and won the first three of the game, directly leading to that early 3-0 lead.

While the Eagles and the Wildcats have both etched their names into the NCAA record books, Saturday was only their third-ever meeting and first since 2019. Walker-Weinstein said BC especially enjoyed the challenge of playing the Wildcats, another 2021 final four team, saying it’s what makes the program better.

“Any opportunity you have to play the best in the game, that’s what we wait for,” Walker-Weinstein said. “That’s what we love.”

from a USA Lacrosse Magazine article by Charlotte Varnes

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... ute-beasts
Lax101

Re: Boston College

Post by Lax101 »

How do you count the 7 or so games that players played during the cancelled 2019 Covid year. If players came back for a 5th year - Charlotte, Ortega etc that 2019 year should not count!!! How is it possibly fair to include more than 4 years of play. BTW, Appuzzo did her damage in less than 3.5 years. She was hurt less than halfway through her freshman year.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:43 pm How do you count the 7 or so games that players played during the cancelled 2019 Covid year. If players came back for a 5th year - Charlotte, Ortega etc that 2019 year should not count!!! How is it possibly fair to include more than 4 years of play. BTW, Appuzzo did her damage in less than 3.5 years. She was hurt less than halfway through her freshman year.
The covid season was 2020 but I hear you--and that's where Ford Frick comes in. I've brought him up plenty of times in situations like this. One thing North did that Frick can't touch though--she set the single season record for goals, and broke the record in the final vs Syracuse. No cupcake schedule in '21 either. But your initial point, you are absolutely correct. And I'm in full agreement with you on Apuzzo. She was an exceptionally talented player and she worked awfully hard at her craft.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I would really like the analysis on when North racked up her goals. Ranked v unranked opponents etc. She has undoubtedly had clutch goals in important games and that's what matters and she should be recognized for. The recent ""record breaking" stats of her and other - some SBU players- just doesn't appeal to me.

There should also be an asterisk next to players who got four and and half seasons to reach these goals.

Sam Appuzzo is a rock star.
OuttaNowhereWregget

tothedraw wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:23 pm I would really like the analysis on when North racked up her goals. Ranked v unranked opponents etc. She has undoubtedly had clutch goals in important games and that's what matters and she should be recognized for. The recent ""record breaking" stats of her and other - some SBU players- just doesn't appeal to me.

There should also be an asterisk next to players who got four and and half seasons to reach these goals.

I agree--Sam Apuzzo was a rock star. Charlotte North is also a rock star in her own right. When Boston College finally broke through and won the national championship, Charlotte North not only shattered the single season NCAA postseason record for goals, but she scored 8 goals during championship weekend vs the #1 and #3 seeds--6 in the final. Nuff said, as they say. Regular season stats--eh. In the grand scheme of things, how much do they really matter? Ted Williams is considered by some to be the best pure hitter of all time. When the Red Sox went to their only World Series during Williams's time, he did jack in the big series. He was invisible. But when you can score in crunch time on the biggest stage the way North did, analysis on when and against whom her goals were scored from that point on is moot.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Sam Apuzzo is indeed a rock star, I'd even go to the level of Elvis status rock star. Among many other things, her focus, intensity, and viciousness (meant as complimentary) on the redefend (think that's the right term in wlax...makes no sense to me, mlaxers have got this one right, ride) absolutely blew me away. I used to play a lot with my stick, ball and GSD, it's outstanding practice and competition. The focus, intensity, and determination of MR. GSD going after that ball is like no other....'cept for Apuzzo. Geezuz H!!!!
Ultimately none of this stuff really much matters, does it? Great fodder for arguing sports (the great American pastime) but beyond that it's pretty meaningless stuff. Those who watch the Apuzzos and Norths et al know how good they were/are. It'll be argued for decades, maybe centuries, who the best was and why but it'll never be settled and no one's mind will ever be changed.
I was recently involved in a discussion with a fellow who was telling the world that Jimmy Brown was/is the GOAT of lacrosse. Just aint so but his mind will never be changed.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:43 pm
tothedraw wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:23 pm I would really like the analysis on when North racked up her goals. Ranked v unranked opponents etc. She has undoubtedly had clutch goals in important games and that's what matters and she should be recognized for. The recent ""record breaking" stats of her and other - some SBU players- just doesn't appeal to me.

I agree--Sam Apuzzo was a rock star. Charlotte North is also a rock star in her own right. When Boston College finally broke through and won the national championship, Charlotte North not only shattered the single season NCAA postseason record for goals, but she scored 8 goals during championship weekend vs the #1 and #3 seeds--6 in the final. Nuff said, as they say. Regular season stats--eh. In the grand scheme of things, how much do they really matter? Ted Williams is considered by some to be the best pure hitter of all time. When the Red Sox went to their only World Series during Williams's time, he did jack in the big series. He was invisible. But when you can score in crunch time on the biggest stage the way North did, analysis on when and against whom her goals were scored from that point on is moot.
I'd say you are proving my point. I want to watch and talk about what players achieve in their most important moments. For every team and player that's different. I'm done with the stat leader stuff. We're talking Women's Lacrosse here, not HOF Baseball where the playing fields are more level. But, I'm old. Bottom line I respect the ability, drive, work ethic of a lot of players. Am I willing to say they're the best ever because of a stat line, no.
OuttaNowhereWregget

tothedraw wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:27 pm

I'd say you are proving my point. I want to watch and talk about what players achieve in their most important moments. For every team and player that's different. I'm done with the stat leader stuff. We're talking Women's Lacrosse here, not HOF Baseball where the playing fields are more level. But, I'm old. Bottom line I respect the ability, drive, work ethic of a lot of players. Am I willing to say they're the best ever because of a stat line, no.
Yes--we're in agreement. Numbers in and of themselves don't always stand up under scrutiny. I'm in total agreement with you here as well: "The recent 'record breaking' stats of... some SBU players- just doesn't appeal to me."
boyo

Post by boyo »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:32 am

Yes--we're in agreement. Numbers in and of themselves don't always stand up under scrutiny. I'm in total agreement with you here as well: "The recent 'record breaking' stats of... some SBU players- just doesn't appeal to me."
to throw some gas on the fire.. when Stony Brook played BC in the quarter final game of the NCAAs ( 3-4 years ago?) near the end of the game with the score tied, stony brook has the ball inside their offensive third of the field on a time out, Kylie Ohlmiller has the ball when they set up for the restart, and who did BC put on her in the defensive zone... Sam Appuzzo! with a turn over as the result.. BC goes on to win the game and play in the championship.

That said North is the more gifted player.. not sure she'll miss an 8 meter this year..( all Gas on that shot). but if I was starting a team id take Sam #1
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

boyo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:37 am
That said North is the more gifted player.. not sure she'll miss an 8 meter this year..( all Gas on that shot). but if I was starting a team id take Sam #1
She missed one in the last game :o :lol: ...Wasn't her normal ripper to top half, it was low and missed cage, IIRC.....She was just showing she is human. ;)

The only way she gets stopped with that shot is if she misses the cage or hits the goalie. No goalie can react to that shot.
boyo

Post by boyo »

^^ Oops.. must a been napping. Thanks Doc.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

boyo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:51 am ^^ Oops.. must a been napping. Thanks Doc.
It may be the only one she misses
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

boyo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:37 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:32 am

to throw some gas on the fire.. when Stony Brook played BC in the quarter final game of the NCAAs ( 3-4 years ago?) near the end of the game with the score tied, stony brook has the ball inside their offensive third of the field on a time out, Kylie Ohlmiller has the ball when they set up for the restart, and who did BC put on her in the defensive zone... Sam Appuzzo! with a turn over as the result.. BC goes on to win the game and play in the championship.

Great anecdote, Boyo. I was at that game and it was super tense. I had forgotten that Apuzzo played such a key role at that moment. She is an absolute beast on the ride.
OuttaNowhereWregget

boyo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:37 am to throw some gas on the fire.. when Stony Brook played BC in the quarter final game of the NCAAs ( 3-4 years ago?) near the end of the game with the score tied, stony brook has the ball inside their offensive third of the field on a time out, Kylie Ohlmiller has the ball when they set up for the restart, and who did BC put on her in the defensive zone... Sam Appuzzo! with a turn over as the result.. BC goes on to win the game and play in the championship.

Great game back in May of 2018. I was in the stands on that rainy day and saw that play. When the whistle blew, KO tried to make a move but slipped on the wet turf and coughed up the ball. She committed three turnovers that day, two of them in crunch time. Even still, the game could’ve gone either way. Apuzzo set up the OT game winner to her close friend Dempsey Arsenault. Apuzzo set up the game tying goal as well.
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:59 am
boyo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:37 am to throw some gas on the fire.. when Stony Brook played BC in the quarter final game of the NCAAs ( 3-4 years ago?) near the end of the game with the score tied, stony brook has the ball inside their offensive third of the field on a time out, Kylie Ohlmiller has the ball when they set up for the restart, and who did BC put on her in the defensive zone... Sam Appuzzo! with a turn over as the result.. BC goes on to win the game and play in the championship.

Great game back in May of 2018. I was in the stands on that rainy day and saw that play. When the whistle blew, KO tried to make a move but slipped on the wet turf and coughed up the ball. She committed three turnovers that day, two of them in crunch time. Even still, the game could’ve gone either way. Apuzzo set up the OT game winner to her close friend Dempsey Arsenault. Apuzzo set up the game tying goal as well.
As long as we’re talking about it...

OuttaNowhereWregget

Kit Arrix just blazed one from free position. 21-6 BC. The talent on this team!

It's okay if 2nd string sophomores score in a blowout, right?

Arrix on a nice jump shot goal. BC 22-6. Might have to tell her to stop scoring.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:50 pm Kit Arrix just blazed one from free position. 21-6 BC. The talent on this team!

Arrix on a nice jump shot goal. BC 22-6. Might have to tell her to stop scoring.
No way, keep shooting! Go for 30!!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Another dominant win by the defending champs. 22-6 over crosstown rival BU.

Their next 5 games before the BIG game:

at Ginny; at Brown; at Louisville; at Denver; vs Yale

At Denver could be a real scrap. The Pioneers know how to play defense but it won't be enough to stop this locomotive. They might slow them down a little but BC will eventually take it. None of the other teams will pose much of a challenge. Then the Clash of the Titans on Sunday March 20th hosting Carolina. Of course the real test would be if they met in the NCAA's. Not that impressive if you can beat a team in the regular season/conference championship but not in the big dance. Though I think BC would like to finally win the ACC conference championship too. Anyway--much to look forward to for Eagles fans.
OuttaNowhereWregget

8meterPA wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:07 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:50 pm Kit Arrix just blazed one from free position. 21-6 BC. The talent on this team!

No way, keep shooting! Go for 30!!
:lol:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Strangely, I thought the game against UVA showed that BC is beatable, even though the final was 22-15. UVA did some things yesterday that at least one team in North Carolina might notice, like pressing very hard off the draws, turnovers, and saves, not allowing BC to get settled and organized in 7v7. How did Williams win what seemed like every draw, and where were the usually very skilled and reliable BC players on the circle?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”