Rutgers 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: Rutgers 2021

Post by Laxxal22 »

Really like the grad transfers that Rutgers has added so far, not just for the talent but all three come from very serious and successful programs. Remains to be seen how the DIII guys handle the transition to upper level DI, but you know all three guys will work hard and buy into coach Brecht's culture from day one because they all come from coaches who demanded that for the last four years.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:42 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:00 am
Tdemling6 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:43 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:28 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:09 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:00 pm
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:56 pm We're not done in the portal...more to come

This team has a lot of guys returning...good players

I'm hearing the same on Kirst BTW

And as far as recruiting and the arms race....the Rodkin is fantastic...I've been in it....and winning helps too...

Good times
was kirst injured/season ending in his first few years?
Says nothing of that sort on his Lehigh page. And he played in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Nothing about any kind of redshirt. And then obviously he played again in 2021. So that’s 4 full years of eligibility used. Not going to say anyone on here is getting false intel but I’m confused as to how he would have another year.
I believe they are actively pursuing a waiver for a retroactive medical redshirt for one of his years at Lehigh.

He did not see the field in 2020. And while that year was given back, that may be what some have been referencing on here.
Everyone got the year back in 2020. He’s played 4 years of college without a redshirt. So without a retroactive redshirt of some kind, which seems specious but we’ll see what happens, he’s used up all of his eligibility.
This certainly seems right. He has played 4 seasons over 5 years. The COVID waiver means 2020 doesn’t count as one of your 4 seasons, nor as one of the usual 5 years to complete eligibility. In essence you now have 6 to play 4 and 2020 isn’t one of those 4. He played 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021. You do not get a red shirt year just because you don’t play and ride the pine, it has to be applied for prospectively based on injury or because, early in the season, the coach decides you just aren’t going to see the field that year and doesn’t want to burn a year of your eligibility. There is no retrospective red shirting for just not seeing PT. Rarely it is possible to do one retrospectively for medical reasons and if there is any chance of Kirst playing another year I guess that would be it, otherwise he has played 4 seasons not counting 2020 and is out of eligibility.
Did he play in any scrimmages? Those competitions would also kill a redshirt.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:26 pm
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:56 pm We're not done in the portal...more to come

And as far as recruiting and the arms race....the Rodkin is fantastic...I've been in it....and winning helps too...

Good times
Says nothing of that sort on his Lehigh page. And he played in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Nothing about any kind of redshirt. And then obviously he played again in 2021. So that’s 4 full years of eligibility used. Not going to say anyone on here is getting false intel but I’m confused as to how he would have another year.
I believe they are actively pursuing a waiver for a retroactive medical redshirt for one of his years at Lehigh.

He did not see the field in 2020. And while that year was given back, that may be what some have been referencing on here.
Everyone got the year back in 2020. He’s played 4 years of college without a redshirt. So without a retroactive redshirt of some kind, which seems specious but we’ll see what happens, he’s used up all of his eligibility.
This certainly seems right. He has played 4 seasons over 5 years. The COVID waiver means 2020 doesn’t count as one of your 4 seasons, nor as one of the usual 5 years to complete eligibility. In essence you now have 6 to play 4 and 2020 isn’t one of those 4. He played 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021. You do not get a red shirt year just because you don’t play and ride the pine, it has to be applied for prospectively based on injury or because, early in the season, the coach decides you just aren’t going to see the field that year and doesn’t want to burn a year of your eligibility. There is no retrospective red shirting for just not seeing PT. Rarely it is possible to do one retrospectively for medical reasons and if there is any chance of Kirst playing another year I guess that would be it, otherwise he has played 4 seasons not counting 2020 and is out of eligibility.
he played in a game in all 3 years, 17 - 19.
in '18 he played in more games than the 30% threshold, in '19 he played in a game in the back half of the year.
so that leaves '17 as if he was end of season injured and applied for a medical.

pcow: i don't believe you have to apply preseason, etc. for a non-contest redshirt, you just had to not be in a contest. none of which matters, as he was.

the legend of colin kirst's redshirt continues.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:13 pm

Good times

in '18 he played in more games than the 30% threshold, in '19 he played in a game in the back half of the year.
so that leaves '17 as if he was end of season injured and applied for a medical.

pcow: i don't believe you have to apply preseason, etc. for a non-contest redshirt, you just had to not be in a contest. none of which matters, as he was.

For my edification, the 30% threshold is just for a medical redshirt? I know redshirt rules have recently changed. What’s the rule on non medical redshirting in lacrosse?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:20 pm

Good times

For my edification, the 30% threshold is just for a medical redshirt? I know redshirt rules have recently changed. What’s the rule on non medical redshirting in lacrosse?
0%.
but at least since '18 or '19 (new rules) it doesn't include fall scrimmages.

the 30% for medical includes the game that takes you over. so it's really 30+%.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:16 pm Really like the grad transfers that Rutgers has added so far, not just for the talent but all three come from very serious and successful programs. Remains to be seen how the DIII guys handle the transition to upper level DI, but you know all three guys will work hard and buy into coach Brecht's culture from day one because they all come from coaches who demanded that for the last four years.
The pole from Salisbury will be just fine in Brecht's defensive system. Is JJF coming back for a 5th year? If so, he'll still be their top cover guy. RU packs in behind the on-ball defender. Off-ball defenders need to be smart, communicate well, slide hard, and knock down potential skip passes.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:05 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:16 pm Really like the grad transfers that Rutgers has added so far, not just for the talent but all three come from very serious and successful programs. Remains to be seen how the DIII guys handle the transition to upper level DI, but you know all three guys will work hard and buy into coach Brecht's culture from day one because they all come from coaches who demanded that for the last four years.
The pole from Salisbury will be just fine in Brecht's defensive system. Is JJF coming back for a 5th year? If so, he'll still be their top cover guy. RU packs in behind the on-ball defender. Off-ball defenders need to be smart, communicate well, slide hard, and knock down potential skip passes.
Only defensive contributor who will not be back is Garrett Bullett.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Houndfan73 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:21 pm
Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:05 pm
Only defensive contributor who will not be back is Garrett Bullett.
Correct...JJF is back...Franko the is back and Kamish is coming back...both top SSDM's and as noted, Bullet is gone...

Of course the Kirst situation is a mystery...but it will play out :)
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

I believe Kirst should be able to get '17 back, the new redshirting rules were basically made so 19 min in February don't cost you a full season.

Will be interested to see what happens with a guy like Tommy Coyne, will they flip him back to O to help fill some holes or keep him as part of the rope.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Good times

Not pre-season but at least for the history of the red shirt (and maybe this is changed now, would be news to me but many things are!), for non-medical redshirts it had to be declared at the beginning of the season, or at least early in the season before playing. You have never been able to take a guy and say, look, he didn’t see the field 3 years ago as a freshman, we are going to call that a redshirt year. That would have added years to the career of hundreds of players. And Kirst played in 17 anyway so that wouldn’t matter but retrospectively calling a year a redshirt year because you didn’t see the field is not how it has ever worked. Maybe it’s all snowflakes and unicorns now and you can say that that year you identified as a redshirt, who knows?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jerseyjames wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:41 am I believe Kirst should be able to get '17 back, the new redshirting rules were basically made so 19 min in February don't cost you a full season.

Will be interested to see what happens with a guy like Tommy Coyne, will they flip him back to O to help fill some holes or keep him as part of the rope.
Just curious. What was Kirst’s injury in 2017? Or whatever year they are attempting to get back. Not sure what “new rule” your referring to, but if he wasn’t injured and stepped on the field for even 1 sec he’d lose that year.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:55 am

Good times

Not pre-season but at least for the history of the red shirt (and maybe this is changed now, would be news to me but many things are!), for non-medical redshirts it had to be declared at the beginning of the season, or at least early in the season before playing. You have never been able to take a guy and say, look, he didn’t see the field 3 years ago as a freshman, we are going to call that a redshirt year. That would have added years to the career of hundreds of players. And Kirst played in 17 anyway so that wouldn’t matter but retrospectively calling a year a redshirt year because you didn’t see the field is not how it has ever worked. Maybe it’s all snowflakes and unicorns now and you can say that that year you identified as a redshirt, who knows?
What your saying is more or less correct, however you can add it in season. Say you’re 14 games into a 15 game season as a freshman and you go to the coaching staff asking for a redshirt, as long as you have not touched the field they can grant you that redshirt if they’d like. Where that used to not be possible is that most players in that situation played in a scrimmage, now scrimmages no longer count against you. That being said I don’t see how any of that applies to Kirst.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

jerseyjames wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:41 am I believe Kirst should be able to get '17 back, the new redshirting rules were basically made so 19 min in February don't cost you a full season.

You might see Tommy flip back but I doubt it...the rope unit is viewed as one of the most if not the most important unit on this team...it feeds what Brecht likes to do in early offense and having offensive talents like Coyne and Kamish there lead to some advantages in transition...now Kamish and Franko are by far the best on ball defenders in that group, so if they do decide to move one, it would be Coyne...

With that said, you have the new transfer from Penn, I would expect at least one more offensive player to arrive via the portal, plus the possible development of one or both of the Kim brothers...who knows right...but I think it all depends on what arrives via the portal or if we find a current roster guy of freshman emerge to play an offensive role...

I know the preference right now is to keep Franko, Kamish, Coyne, and Daniger together....we might not have an individual all American, but as a unit, they're very solid...not sure you break that up...but again, who knows
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Good times

it's my understanding you filed post-season if you didn't see the field. discussed pre-season so player understands.

otherwise, the nc$$ gets 100s/1000s eligibility ppwk they never needed to. at any point, the decision can be reversed and the player start playing.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:00 am

Good times

What your saying is more or less correct, however you can add it in season. Say you’re 14 games into a 15 game season as a freshman and you go to the coaching staff asking for a redshirt, as long as you have not touched the field they can grant you that redshirt if they’d like. Where that used to not be possible is that most players in that situation played in a scrimmage, now scrimmages no longer count against you. That being said I don’t see how any of that applies to Kirst.
i think maybe you guys just have heard that someone is redshirting and assume some procedural process was done already, or had to be done.

scrimmages in the fall for lacrosse are now okay and don't burn a redshirt. in the spring, they do. matches spring sports with fall sports who were allowed to scrimmage in the spring and it didn't count for following (or previous) year.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 am

Just curious. What was Kirst’s injury in 2017? Or whatever year they are attempting to get back. Not sure what “new rule” your referring to, but if he wasn’t injured and stepped on the field for even 1 sec he’d lose that year.
You’ll have to go to a Rutgers game next year and ask him.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Houndfan73 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:05 pm

do you know what section he'd be in?
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 pm

Now, that is very humorous on a site that doesn't have enough of it.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 pm

The crease.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Rutger has added a goalie from the transfer portal
Providence - Toby Burgdorf

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”