Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by The Orfling »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:24 pm MICHAEL SOWERS: 'I NEVER THOUGHT IT WOULD COME TO THIS POINT'
“I have told coaches that I am going to be very disorganized, especially in the next couple days, because I never considered a Plan B,” Sowers said. “I never thought that I would need one.”

Sowers does not know the exact number of coaches who reached out to him but did say the outpouring was huge...

“Great academics, obviously, but I want to go win a national championship,” he said. “That’s been my goal since I’ve been at Princeton. I want to win a national championship and bring one to a group of guys that is a special locker room. That’s what we had at Princeton. I want to provide that spark to a locker room and fit into a culture where I can put a program in the best position to win a national championship.”
'Cuse makes sense under both metrics: program poised to get to Memorial Day and great graduate program option in the Newhouse School. Duke and UVA also seem to make sense but the tie to Coach March does seem like it could be a decisive factor -- comfort with the O Coordinator would be very important to a player who has only one year and would want to feel comfortable the coaches on a new team knew how to best fit him in the offense.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:26 am
thetruth wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:47 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:15 am Sowers to Nova is my bet.
Very good call IMO.
Think Sowers to Villanova makes a ton of sense. They have a very good returning team. Could also see Aitken suiting up there after football season.
If this happens and Kirst comes back Nova would be a pretty scary team. I'm enjoying the different hypotheticals. Next year's Face-Off magazine will be a collector's item.
And if Aitkens shows up at Nova
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

laxpert wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:14 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:17 am

You think large companies struggle to cut legacy fixed costs? How do you think it’s going to be for schools that have grown the last 20-30yrs from say, 1,500-2,000 students to 2,000-3,000 students like a lot have, built up personnel, infrastructure etc. Suddenly their run rate top line goes down by even 10% it’ll be a struggle and only the best managers or those with cash will be in solid footing.
Forbes has several articles with detailed analysis using several metrics to determine a grade. If a school grades out a D it's got some holes in the dike.

I recall a DIII coach telling me " We exist to make the college money, reaching my applicant, admissions and fund raising goals is just as important as our record on the field.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cartercoud ... 8280e561c4
Very good piece. I can't look into the list much because the stupid page continually refreshes, was going to look at C- and below, Jax is in that group and basically all of DII. And of course this was written prior to the current situation which I would assume will notch everyone down one or more "grades"

This was the biggest reason I thought AD Hanna was a completely fool and the last straw of many mistakes over the years as AD at Hobart when he tried to backdoor the entire HWS community in pulling Lacrosse down to D3 in 2008. I doubt the opex savings would've been great and with only 8-9 grandfathered mixed division schools along with a really rich tradition in the sport, located in the heart of an NA deep area, it serves as something of a competitive advantage in the market. Something that flew over his, Gearan's and the BOT's head completely it seems and a major disappointment to me.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:39 am
JHUFan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:42 pm Reposting my note from the Hopkins thread here:

I would think Hopkins has to be at the very least on the radar (if not one of the final contenders) for all Ivy players in this situation (i.e. Sowers and Morril) simply because of the academic reputation. Who works their butt off at Yale or Princeton for 4 years only to settle for a degree from a clearly inferior academic institution (i.e. Penn State) with no consideration for Hopkins, which is easily the best academic option left out there with a relevant lacrosse team with Duke being the only exception.
I'm not sure how attractive Hopkins would look to top Ivy and Patriot League guys.

1. These guys just spent 3.5 years on Ivy League campuses having an Ivy League experience. The chance of a year of big-school experience at UNC, UVA, PSU would seem a lot more appealing than a quasi Ivy League social scene again.
2. Hop has tradition, and you can sell high school kids on tradition because they have four years to immerse themselves in it. Those with one year to ring chase go to programs that are realistically already in the hunt before they arrive. Hop isn't. The academic rep won't matter too much because ACC/Big Ten schools have good options, and AA caliber players from Ivy & PL schools will have great job prospects (assuming roughly a 3.3 or better college GPA) regardless of the grad program.
3. What is a 22 year old's perception of Petro? Being the guy who got the best of Gary Gait doesn't mean a ton to kids born a decade after that game was played. At this point do star players see a top coach and legend of the game or just a big scary dude?

I could see Hop being in play for Balti/MD guys looking to get back close to home for post school life, or perhaps guys with good high school/club buddies currently playing for the Blue Jays, but I don't think the school experience, coach, and state of the program are all that attractive for the top dominoes in the portal.
Plus how many hotties were on the campus you are leaving? If it gets a poor grade in that category wouldn't somebody want a super senior/grad school year at a place that has it going on? :)
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

To add some diversity to this thread, where does Gallagher go? Is there a top ten/twenty non-ivy team that needs/wants a top ten fogo? And makes sense for him.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

RumorMill wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:08 pm To add some diversity to this thread, where does Gallagher go? Is there a top ten/twenty non-ivy team that needs/wants a top ten fogo? And makes sense for him.
Rumor is Michigan
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

BJ Burlace in the portal?
Wondering if that is a legit transfer request or just shopping. He didn't see any time at Yale this year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:16 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:39 am
JHUFan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:42 pm Reposting my note from the Hopkins thread here:

I would think Hopkins has to be at the very least on the radar (if not one of the final contenders) for all Ivy players in this situation (i.e. Sowers and Morril) simply because of the academic reputation. Who works their butt off at Yale or Princeton for 4 years only to settle for a degree from a clearly inferior academic institution (i.e. Penn State) with no consideration for Hopkins, which is easily the best academic option left out there with a relevant lacrosse team with Duke being the only exception.
I'm not sure how attractive Hopkins would look to top Ivy and Patriot League guys.

1. These guys just spent 3.5 years on Ivy League campuses having an Ivy League experience. The chance of a year of big-school experience at UNC, UVA, PSU would seem a lot more appealing than a quasi Ivy League social scene again.
2. Hop has tradition, and you can sell high school kids on tradition because they have four years to immerse themselves in it. Those with one year to ring chase go to programs that are realistically already in the hunt before they arrive. Hop isn't. The academic rep won't matter too much because ACC/Big Ten schools have good options, and AA caliber players from Ivy & PL schools will have great job prospects (assuming roughly a 3.3 or better college GPA) regardless of the grad program.
3. What is a 22 year old's perception of Petro? Being the guy who got the best of Gary Gait doesn't mean a ton to kids born a decade after that game was played. At this point do star players see a top coach and legend of the game or just a big scary dude?

I could see Hop being in play for Balti/MD guys looking to get back close to home for post school life, or perhaps guys with good high school/club buddies currently playing for the Blue Jays, but I don't think the school experience, coach, and state of the program are all that attractive for the top dominoes in the portal.
Plus how many hotties were on the campus you are leaving? If it gets a poor grade in that category wouldn't somebody want a super senior/grad school year at a place that has it going on? :)
no campus visits makes it a tough sell.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Does playboy still do the girls of the ACC? :)
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:15 pm BJ Burlace in the portal?
Wondering if that is a legit transfer request or just shopping. He didn't see any time at Yale this year.
His younger brother was a commit to Yale but decommitted the next day
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:20 pm
Brother flipped to Maryland and he was a Maryland commit at first as well. Plus their dad was a Terp great. All signs point to that being where he’s going to wind up too.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

TX twitter
Three @HarvardMLax juniors entered the NCAA’s transfer portal yesterday as grad students for the 2022 season, according to a source: G Kyle Mullin, LSM/D Frankie Tangredi and F/O Steven Cuccurullo.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Pretty curious to see where Xander Dickson lands—putting up 20 points as a freshman for a Championship team is impressive. Best guess he follows Burkinshaw to Penn where once was committed? But if PT was the issue @ UVA no guarantees to walk into a starting job at UPenn....Yale?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:11 pm TX twitter
Three @HarvardMLax juniors entered the NCAA’s transfer portal yesterday as grad students for the 2022 season, according to a source: G Kyle Mullin, LSM/D Frankie Tangredi and F/O Steven Cuccurullo.
I wonder if we start seeing this amongst underclassmen more and more so that they can guarantee themselves the chance to play four full seasons. If it becomes a trend, I think it actually winds up hurting the Ivy more in the long run than just losing this senior class will.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Sting The Corner wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:30 pm Pretty curious to see where Xander Dickson lands—putting up 20 points as a freshman for a Championship team is impressive. Best guess he follows Burkinshaw to Penn where once was committed? But if PT was the issue @ UVA no guarantees to walk into a starting job at UPenn....Yale?
If guys are transferring out of the Ivy right now because of the 5th year policy remaining the same evening amidst COVID-19, I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of guys transfer in. Some will because it's still an Ivy degree, but I think we see a lot more circulating amongst the other top teams that are also good schools instead of the Ivy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:20 pm Does playboy still do the girls of the ACC? :)
is playboy still around?
carolina's a sure bet. any year.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:46 pm

If guys are transferring out of the Ivy right now because of the 5th year policy remaining the same evening amidst COVID-19, I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of guys transfer in. Some will because it's still an Ivy degree, but I think we see a lot more circulating amongst the other top teams that are also good schools instead of the Ivy
If i'm reading it correctly, they're not transferring out now... they're planning on playing their senior year, graduating, and have just entered the portal to declare their eligibility to other schools as a grad student. Shouldn't affect the Ivy league rosters too much.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:48 pm
Brother flipped to Maryland and he was a Maryland commit at first as well. Plus their dad was a Terp great. All signs point to that being where he’s going to wind up too.
No disrespect, but what signs are you talking about? He de-committed from Maryland 2 years ago.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:57 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:48 pm
No disrespect, but what signs are you talking about? He de-committed from Maryland 2 years ago.
He goes into the portal, and then two days later his brother decommits from Yale and flips to Maryland, the same school he at one point planned on attending and their dad played at? That seems to me to be a good indication that's where he's going. Just because he de-committed once doesn't mean he won't go there now.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

The chance to play with his brother for three years and pay in-state tuition when going from a four to five-year plan, along with the fact that it was once his top choice, makes Maryland look like the favorite imo.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”