Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
totc

Re: Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

Post by totc »

My $.04 (adjusted for inflation)

When was the last time Maryland was shut out in any half? As I mentioned on The Final Third today, it was likely when Sue Tyler and Tina Sloan Green of Temple were locking tactical horns. Indeed, Temple shut out Maryland 3-0 on May 1, 1982 in the AIAW Eastern Regional Tournament.

Different game, no possession clock, no hard boundaries, wood sticks, no eyewear. I know. But it's notable.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Semi “Suck on that one, Little Turtles” picture posted by Syracuse on their Instagram account. With all they have been through in the last 48 hours, good for them! They earned the right to post it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9KaUW_pI8E ... d2yjs968r5
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

I know I am late to the party, but glad to see Maryland get their just desserts for pulling the stunt that they did about “weather”. karma is a b*tch!
NuttyRipper12

Post by NuttyRipper12 »

Delco Transplant wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:56 pm I know I am late to the party, but glad to see Maryland get their just desserts for pulling the stunt that they did about “weather”. karma is a b*tch!
^^^Preach^^^
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:36 pm Semi “Suck on that one, Little Turtles” picture posted by Syracuse on their Instagram account. With all they have been through in the last 48 hours, good for them! They earned the right to post it.

Nice touch to pose in front of the Maryland scoreboard and all their titles in the background. You have to think some of the motivation for that was to reward their fans. Gotta love it.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:46 pm Social media karma.
:lol:

Pretty ugly game all around but Cuse made the plays late to lock it down. Good for them, they were put in a difficult situation and they pulled out the W.

If they don't improve spacing and shot selection/placement, they won't be able to hang with the top teams. (Looking at you, Carney.) Defense looked pretty good but Maryland helped them out with that. They can't rely on low-scoring games.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't you worry about my girl Megan, she'll be fine.
I'll take that gal on my team any day.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I think that all of the relevant commentary on this game has already been made, but I‘ll put in my two cents anyway. The difference in this Syracuse team as opposed to a few years ago is that this team actually plays defense. Shutting out Maryland for a whole half? Unbelievable. Where SU resembles the team from a few years ago is in the turnover department. I thought that Goldstock had a really strong game, but in the second half she limped on her Achilles heel again, which is her temptation to try to hit outlet passes fifty yards up the field. Those are not good percentage passes any way you look at it and ended up in a couple of unnecessary turnovers. Another turnover machine is the weave that‘s run on offense. After about five flips the players get too close to each other and either run into each other or otherwise fumble the ball away. Or is there someone out there that thinks that this is the Orange‘s most effective offense? Just run a regular set please.

DMac, sorry we missed this game at the Dome. I was really looking forward to it. Glad that we got the win over the weather wimps from Maryland.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Wow, the vitriol on here is strong. Cathy Reese is one of the most positive and graceful in defeat coaches I've seen, so I'm bummed she and her team are being raked over the coals. MD 2020 is not the usual product, I'm more curious on the analysis of why. Hallmark of SU is unreal skill/creativity mixed with bone head decision making . GG has a loose, take risks culture - live by the sword die by the sword. Agreed a stronger team (UNC,ND) would have cashed in on their missteps.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Reading "Will Maryland repeat"? thread. Missed that one, analysis there !
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

tothedraw wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:32 pm Wow, the vitriol on here is strong. Cathy Reese is one of the most positive and graceful in defeat coaches I've seen, so I'm bummed she and her team are being raked over the coals. MD 2020 is not the usual product, I'm more curious on the analysis of why. Hallmark of SU is unreal skill/creativity mixed with bone head decision making . GG has a loose, take risks culture - live by the sword die by the sword. Agreed a stronger team (UNC,ND) would have cashed in on their missteps.
Vitriol--Cruel and bitter criticism. Bitterly harsh or caustic language or criticism.

Way too strong to describe what was written about Maryland in this thread. But whichever word you choose to apply to the criticism--the criticism was warranted. Whatever the ulterior motive for the balk at driving up to Syracuse, the explanation(s) was/were found to be unfounded. It was further discovered to be a fraudulent claim the more the story was researched. Stories started to contradict each other. The Maryland spin doctors tried their best to paint lipstick on the pig, or in this case, the little turtle, but too much information had come to light by that time. It smacked of "The Wells Report in Context" but in this case it was "Dangerous Snow Cancellation Debunked".

According to this article
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... econd-time
--it was the Syracuse players who insisted on playing, which was a great catalyst to exposing the fraudulent claims of the Terps attempt to cancel the game. I don't know ultimately who was to blame, but it falls squarely on the Maryland team as a whole, which includes the coach.

They got exposed. Now they have to deal with the fallout.
Francophile

Post by Francophile »

tothedraw wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:32 pm Wow, the vitriol on here is strong. Cathy Reese is one of the most positive and graceful in defeat coaches I've seen, so I'm bummed she and her team are being raked over the coals. MD 2020 is not the usual product, I'm more curious on the analysis of why. Hallmark of SU is unreal skill/creativity mixed with bone head decision making . GG has a loose, take risks culture - live by the sword die by the sword. Agreed a stronger team (UNC,ND) would have cashed in on their missteps.
Get real. Reese knew she had a team that was not ready for prime time. If the got shellacked again, she would be dealing with a roster full of no self-confidence. Who knows? She may also have locker room issues. So, she tried to weasel the game to late in the season when her team would be closer to ready. Gait called her bluff and all she had was a pair of twos.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Congratulations to the Syracuse Women’s Lacrosse team on their second win over Maryland. Their picture under the scoreboard was very telling with the final score showing as well as all the years Maryland has been National Champions. Shame on the rest of you posters who feel that Coach Reese and her team tried to orchestrate canceling or postponing the game. There is certainly no proof beyond the Department in Maryland responsible for the safety of students and transportation making this decision. Yes they were in error but it was their decision. Perhaps this Maryland team is not up to their normal standards however the glee so many of you show in swing them lose is really very disturbing. After all this is a college sport played by 18-22 year olds who certainly don’t deserve your disdain.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

The reality seems to be that this was a UMD-SU issue, not a Cathy-Gary issue. But the story is better when the schools are personified...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Post by DMac »

Maryland75 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:47 am Congratulations to the Syracuse Women’s Lacrosse team on their second win over Maryland. Gotta love this, the one giving the tongue lashing has got to let us know this is only second time Cuse has ever beat the mighty Maryland team. Nice way to throw a subtle little dig in along with your sincere congratulations. Their picture under the scoreboard was very telling with the final score showing as well as all the years Maryland has been National Champions. I haven't seen it but maybe you can let me know what is so telling about it. What more does it say than, man, we're really happy to have beat this legendary program?Shame on the rest of you posters who feel that Coach Reese and her team tried to orchestrate canceling or postponing the game. There is certainly no proof beyond the Department in Maryland responsible for the safety of students and transportation making this decision. Yes they were in error but it was their decision. Perhaps this Maryland team is not up to their normal standards however the glee so many of you show in swing them lose is really very disturbing. Disturbing? Please! You expect a ho hum, it's just another game when a team knocks off such a legendary program? Get used to it, it comes with the territory, kinda like with the Yankees, Patriots and even the Cuse mlaxers. After all this is a college sport played by 18-22 year olds who certainly don’t deserve your disdain.These 18-22 year olds aren't fragile little flowers, they know full well that they (the team) have the biggest target on their back in the world of D1 wlax. They'll get over this, probably before you will, and be just fine.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:30 am
Maryland75 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:47 am Their picture under the scoreboard was very telling with the final score showing as well as all the years Maryland has been National Champions. I haven't seen it

Right here, DMac:

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Amazing that UMD is 1-3 and that W is vs. George Mason. They've played some good teams, tough SOS, and still amazing.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:30 am
Maryland75 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:47 am Congratulations to the Syracuse Women’s Lacrosse team on their second win over Maryland. Gotta love this, the one giving the tongue lashing has got to let us know this is only second time Cuse has ever beat the mighty Maryland team. Nice way to throw a subtle little dig in along with your sincere congratulations. Their picture under the scoreboard was very telling with the final score showing as well as all the years Maryland has been National Champions. I haven't seen it but maybe you can let me know what is so telling about it. What more does it say than, man, we're really happy to have beat this legendary program?Shame on the rest of you posters who feel that Coach Reese and her team tried to orchestrate canceling or postponing the game. There is certainly no proof beyond the Department in Maryland responsible for the safety of students and transportation making this decision. Yes they were in error but it was their decision. Perhaps this Maryland team is not up to their normal standards however the glee so many of you show in swing them lose is really very disturbing. Disturbing? Please! You expect a ho hum, it's just another game when a team knocks off such a legendary program? Get used to it, it comes with the territory, kinda like with the Yankees, Patriots and even the Cuse mlaxers. After all this is a college sport played by 18-22 year olds who certainly don’t deserve your disdain.These 18-22 year olds aren't fragile little flowers, they know full well that they (the team) have the biggest target on their back in the world of D1 wlax. They'll get over this, probably before you will, and be just fine.
I have no issues with the Syracuse teams celebration, they deserve it. I do have issues with the accusations that the Maryland team had any part in the decision to not go to Syracuse. Many posters claim that they seem to have first hand knowledge of who made the decision and for what reason when they really have no idea. Secondly I was watching the men’s game against Notre Dame so yes I’m over it. But your correct in that I take umbrage in know it alls degrades program that doesn’t deserve it.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:53 pm
laxorangebookworm wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:46 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:43 pm He said, "d'I tell ya? What'd I tell ya?"
Ok, I got it now, just couldn't understand him initially. :lol:
Just an observation, not a criticism – you have a tendency to see things through orange colored glasses when watching games. It’s totally understandable. But as a semi neutral observer, I could see that Maryland was making just as many screw ups as Syracuse.
True, I can't deny that. However, Maryland has a young team with a lot of freshman. I think they can be forgiven for making some of those mistakes. Syracuse, this year, is a pretty veteran team who really shouldn't be making the pile-up of mistakes that they have done routinely for the last couple of years. If this was the Terrapin team of last year, we would have been clobbered, no question about it. Also, the Terps had three games under their belt, two of whom are good teams (UNC and Florida, who knocked off Stony Brook yesterday). That's not even a quarter of the season and it takes time to develop a young team. The Orange had already played a full third of their season going into yesterday with four of those being overmatched (which give players a chance to run the system without much pressure). This team should be pretty well-oiled at this point. It isn't and the fact that they're making the same mistakes over and over again against good teams is concerning. The script of the SB, NU and UM games is pretty similar.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:54 am True, I can't deny that. However, Maryland has a young team with a lot of freshman. I think they can be forgiven for making some of those mistakes. Syracuse, this year, is a pretty veteran team who really shouldn't be making the pile-up of mistakes that they have done routinely for the last couple of years. If this was the Terrapin team of last year, we would have been clobbered, no question about it. Also, the Terps had three games under their belt, two of whom are good teams (UNC and Florida, who knocked off Stony Brook yesterday). That's not even a quarter of the season and it takes time to develop a young team. The Orange had already played a full third of their season going into yesterday with four of those being overmatched (which give players a chance to run the system without much pressure). This team should be pretty well-oiled at this point. It isn't and the fact that they're making the same mistakes over and over again against good teams is concerning. The script of the SB, NU and UM games is pretty similar.
If I was to streamline my comments in light of yours focusing exclusively on Syracuse, we are in complete agreement. I wouldn't want to be a Syracuse fan this year. They run hot and cold and always seem to find a way to either not show up for big games, or self destruct toward the end. I'm thinking of last year in the quarters vs NU and the semi's in the ACC vs BC respectively. Earlier in this thread, tothedraw had this to say:

"Hallmark of SU is unreal skill/creativity mixed with bone head decision making. GG has a loose, take risks culture - live by the sword die by the sword."

I think ttd nailed it. That sums up Syracuse for years now. I don't know how that changes except to win it all one of these years. Won't be this year though. They don't have enough players named Emily on their team.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”