Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
SCLaxAttack

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:04 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:11 pm Looks tasty......I just finished my homemade Pimento Cheese w/Avocado Triscuts and a handful of smokehouse almonds. That pimento cheese is like crack......put it on some garlic Naan bread for pizza, or on top of a cheeseburger, even used it in place of Dukes Mayo on a BLT with some fresh maters' out of the garden.
Pimento Cheese - one of the worst things the south has ever produced IMO. But I cant stand mayo, cream cheese ,cottage cheese, ranch/blue cheese dressing. I'm trying to get white sauce out of my body, not put it in!

Duke's, recall looking at thier credit facilities doing a decent sized bank merger maybe two years ago. Surprised they make good money.

Like using Naan for different things. Need to do that more. Ever try making it? I took a lesson from a grill guy named Steve Raichlen a few years back and got to use his clay hearth thing where you slap it against the side to cook.
I’m with you on the pimiento cheese and the Dukes, Youth. I’d never heard of pimiento cheese until moving to NC four years ago, now I can’t get enough. You didn’t mention it for a grilled cheese sandwich, but I bet you’ve been there, done that.

Dukes is now my go-to for mayo, too. Tried it and now Hellman’s is just blah.

And Mt. Olive pickle products hands down over Vlasic stuff.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:44 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:11 pm Looks tasty......I just finished my homemade Pimento Cheese w/Avocado Triscuts and a handful of smokehouse almonds. That pimento cheese is like crack......put it on some garlic Naan bread for pizza, or on top of a cheeseburger, even used it in place of Dukes Mayo on a BLT with some fresh maters' out of the garden.
Pimento Cheese - one of the worst things the south has ever produced IMO. But I cant stand mayo, cream cheese ,cottage cheese, ranch/blue cheese dressing. I'm trying to get white sauce out of my body, not put it in!

Duke's, recall looking at thier credit facilities doing a decent sized bank merger maybe two years ago. Surprised they make good money.

Like using Naan for different things. Need to do that more. Ever try making it? I took a lesson from a grill guy named Steve Raichlen a few years back and got to use his clay hearth thing where you slap it against the side to cook.
I’m with you on the pimiento cheese and the Dukes, Youth. I’d never heard of pimiento cheese until moving to NC four years ago, now I can’t get enough. You didn’t mention it for a grilled cheese sandwich, but I bet you’ve been there, done that.

Wait until you go to the town of Mt Olive-were talking twilight zone small town south (bank HQ there by the name of Southern Bank & Trust, 56% owned by the family that controls First Citizens who merged w CIT recently, this is all public). Gravel roads just outside town, three restaraunts open for lunch and all give you the choice of “meat and two” or “meat and three”, kinda near Fayetteville but just nowhere really. But yes far better than vlasic if that’s your choice. I’d still take a bodega or deli pickle (and bagel) from NYC all day and night than any of that jarred junk but we have three Mt Olive jars in my fridge (one was because my wife did er understand the difference between kosher dill and bread and butter sweet but such is life).

Augusta has super limited food, I hate golf anyways, but everyone talks about the cheap pimento cheese sandwiches and I’m good with all that. Still don’t understand why all these high end golf courses have trash food. Guess it’s the “waterfront syndrome” (captive audience, limited real estate you’ll take what we offer and the price we charge and like
It’)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:25 am

Wait until you go to the town of Mt Olive-were talking twilight zone small town south (bank HQ there by the name of Southern Bank & Trust, 56% owned by the family that controls First Citizens who merged w CIT recently, this is all public). Gravel roads just outside town, three restaraunts open for lunch and all give you the choice of “meat and two” or “meat and three”, kinda near Fayetteville but just nowhere really. But yes far better than vlasic if that’s your choice. I’d still take a bodega or deli pickle (and bagel) from NYC all day and night than any of that jarred junk but we have three Mt Olive jars in my fridge (one was because my wife did er understand the difference between kosher dill and bread and butter sweet but such is life).

Augusta has super limited food, I hate golf anyways, but everyone talks about the cheap pimento cheese sandwiches and I’m good with all that. Still don’t understand why all these high end golf courses have trash food. Guess it’s the “waterfront syndrome” (captive audience, limited real estate you’ll take what we offer and the price we charge and like
It’)
Seen Mt. Olive plenty of times. The road through (really by) Mt. Olive cuts miles off the interstate route when driving between Wilmington, NC and 95 in VA. University of Mt. Olive - 99.8% of the kids there must have had it as their safety school because there’s no way more than .2% of the students would have had it as their first-eighth choice.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:45 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:25 am

It’)
Seen Mt. Olive plenty of times. The road through (really by) Mt. Olive cuts miles off the interstate route when driving between Wilmington, NC and 95 in VA. University of Mt. Olive - 99.8% of the kids there must have had it as their safety school because there’s no way more than .2% of the students would have had it as their first-eighth choice.
Weird town for sure. Is that 59 you are talking about? Helped a group in investors buy a tiny bank (to move to Clt and turn into a wealth bank - buying the charter effectively since it can take 2yrs and just as much or more in transactional and soft costs and more capital to start a de novo these days) in Roanoke Rapids, another area up there in east-middle nowhere NC. I'm sure you know Washington, NC a bit west of Wilmington but at least that's got some waterfront but when you get west a little...
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Duke’s isn’t easy to find in WNY but I did find one at the start of the pandemic. Unfortunately, by the time I opened it, it was rancid. I’ll give it another shot, but my guess is that since it’s from the south then it’s on the sweet side which would not be preferable. Hellman’s/Best Foods is the closest I’ve had to making from scratch as a permanent emulsion.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:48 pm

Duke’s isn’t easy to find in WNY but I did find one at the start of the pandemic. Unfortunately, by the time I opened it, it was rancid. I’ll give it another shot, but my guess is that since it’s from the south then it’s on the sweet side which would not be preferable. Hellman’s/Best Foods is the closest I’ve had to making from scratch as a permanent emulsion.
Duke’s has no sugar. Also has paprika and I pick up a slight lemon zest.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:21 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:48 pm

Duke’s has no sugar. Also has paprika and I pick up a slight lemon zest.
Exactly. It's got a tang to it, but not an awful one like Miracle Whip. I can't stand MW, but I haven't bought Hellman's since I discovered Duke's.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Never heard of Dukes Mayo but they do say "add a little twang" in their ads and I sure do like the sound of some of this stuff....hint of lime, bacon and tomato flavored? C'mon, that's got to be tasty, gotta try to find this stuff.
Oh, and I think you need to click on and enter the Y'all-Star Sweepstakes, SCLax.
https://dukesmayo.com/
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:54 am Never heard of Dukes Mayo but they do say "add a little twang" in their ads and I sure do like the sound of some of this stuff....hint of lime, bacon and tomato flavored? C'mon, that's got to be tasty, gotta try to find this stuff.
Oh, and I think you need to click on and enter the Y'all-Star Sweepstakes, SCLax.
https://dukesmayo.com/
I remember now where I bought Duke’s in WNY. Walmart. I never shop there, but had had gone in at beginning of pandemic to get some off the wall canned goods. I think I took three showers then a bath in tomato juice when I got home.

As I mentioned before, I never used it and it went rancid. Miracle Whip is definitely sweet and just awful as far as my palate is concerned.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks, I did some checking after posting that too and saw that you can get it at Walmart, gonna have to make a trip in there to get some and try it out. Am hoping they've got the bacon and tomato.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I've never seen anything other than the traditional jar on the shelf.....even when in the south.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Mayo is gross unless in tuna so I’ll let you guys have that one all day.

Question for the cooks here. Marinating the heck out of a couple of whole chicken leg quarters. Don’t have a butchers knife and frankly all my knives suck. Should I try to cut before or after cooking between the leg and thigh?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:12 pm Mayo is gross unless in tuna so I’ll let you guys have that one all day.

Question for the cooks here. Marinating the heck out of a couple of whole chicken leg quarters. Don’t have a butchers knife and frankly all my knives suck. Should I try to cut before or after cooking between the leg and thigh?
Should be a quite easy cut if you search for that knuckle...ain't much there. flip it over skin side down and slowly swing them apart.....just enough to find that knuckle even a cheap steak knife should ease through it.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:32 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:12 pm Mayo is gross unless in tuna so I’ll let you guys have that one all day.

Should be a quite easy cut if you search for that knuckle...ain't much there. flip it over skin side down and slowly swing them apart.....just enough to find that knuckle even a cheap steak knife should ease through it.
After cooking is fine then? Last time I struggled but it had a vinegar based bbq sauce bruised on and I nearly took one of my own knuckles off.

Trying spieidie sauce on a 4.5 day marinade. Should be able to burn the heck out of it and still have it be moist and juicy
ardilla secreta

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 pm

After cooking is fine then? Last time I struggled but it had a vinegar based bbq sauce bruised on and I nearly took one of my own knuckles off.

Trying spieidie sauce on a 4.5 day marinade. Should be able to burn the heck out of it and still have it be moist and juicy
I’d cut before, but not without a proper knife unless you’re ok with missing a finger. Now, go out and get a good 8” chefs knife. The best all around kitchen tool. You’ll also need a matching sharpening steel to keep it honed. I have a Wüsthof Classic that I’ve had since 1996 and will last longer than myself. Another lesser brand will suffice. Just run it at 18 degrees six times across the steel and you won’t have to take it to a sharpening stone very often. You’re more likely to injure yourself with a dull knife than a sharp one.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thanks we bought high end general knife set maybe 10-12yrs ago but no true butchers knife on it, good bread and carving ones. As I’ve gone back to cooking at home a lot lately I piece up some more cast iron pieces and now this came up as I bought a large pack of quarters to do different things with so useful info.
DMac

Post by DMac »

A ll you ever need to know about cutting chicken quarters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1wrDnLbMHM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:58 am A ll you ever need to know about cutting chicken quarters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1wrDnLbMHM
Thanks!

Now I need a science/medicine expert to explain why I’m eating bran flake cereal and putting MCT oils in my morning coffee and taking one painful, pill popper type dumps lately. Don’t supposed you stayed at a holiday inn express lately and can do doctor for me? I should probably check with Hop72.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 pm

Good video about marinades. Not a big fan of them myself. I'd rather drizzle something on at the last second, like a vinaigrette or pesto or something with a lot of flavor. Marinades' flavors are muted by the cooking. Also, if you're cooking anything besides boneless skinless chicken breasts, your chicken should stay moist while grilling/cooking.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thanks. Yeah this is specific to my childhood in Broome Co NY-got a huge jug last time I was there cleaning out my mothers house and now have to use it.

Otherwise I’m usually with you. Keep Ken’s italian and balsamic around regularly and do like pesto as well.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”