NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ah23

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by ah23 »

I’m old enough to remember the chatter in the 2019 NESCAC board about Thompson leaving for the Harvard job. Everyone relax. Eleven NESCAC teams are playing lacrosse. All of them are more interesting than unverifiable rumors about a coach, or coronavirus, or whatever.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Sliding down ice at Okemo today and unable to watch the game. What what the Tufts game plan other than just run the Mammoths off the field. Looking at stats, F/O was even, Tufts had moderately more GB and fewer turnovers but 30 more shots (77!). Were they just pushing at any opportunity? Out hustling for 50/50 balls? Anything special on Minnicus?
ergit

Post by ergit »

I’d hate to be Endicott next Tuesday...
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Tufts killed Amherst on GBs and turnovers. Led to a lot more offensive opportunities. Tufts offense firing on all cylinders. When Amherst offense did get the ball, they looked way out of sorts. Looked like Tufts was ready to play and simply wanted it more.
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

Jumbos also have wayy more outside shooters and threats....ac seems to struggle 12-14 yards out and lost norton last year
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Nice write up on Tufts-Amherst by Kyle Devitte: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... erst/56112
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

Jums are so legit
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yup.

Camels and Bobcats are not.
ctlaxfan99

Post by ctlaxfan99 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:54 pm Nice write up on Tufts-Amherst by Kyle Devitte: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... erst/56112
Seems like JT put all of the blame on the players...
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

ctlaxfan99 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:06 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:54 pm Nice write up on Tufts-Amherst by Kyle Devitte: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... erst/56112
Seems like JT put all of the blame on the players...
Had to be a tough one for JT yesterday, while I have all the respect for him as a coach...., not a lot guys in the league sheading any tears for him. I wonder if the anyone threw any salt on his open wounds during the handshake
Caclaxdad

Post by Caclaxdad »

Great games across the board yesterday! Takeaways:

- Tufts is legit and the NESCAC should be afraid (77 shots :shock: )
- Camels just don't have enough firepower offensively
- Bantams are trending upward
- Huge win for Hamilton program that's gone through the ringer the past few years
- Wesleyan loss should serve as a reminder than anyone can win in February lacrosse

- Side note: A tough year for Bates may get tougher. (Although Chlastawa recovered from kick-flip injury) Hearing Columbia is adding lacrosse for 2021. Peter Lasagna seemingly the favorite for the job, given his ties to the university.

Cheers to a great weekend!

Caclaxdad
Patlaxer

Post by Patlaxer »

Great defenses usually prevail by the end of the NESCAC season.
Great defenses usually win D3 lacrosse National Championships.
It seems like all anyone talks about on this thread is offense.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Trinity will be on the rise. They've picked up a couple of recruits that had D I offers. Only a matter of time for the coaches to sort it out.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Patlaxer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:16 pm Great defenses usually prevail by the end of the NESCAC season.
Great defenses usually win D3 lacrosse National Championships.
It seems like all anyone talks about on this thread is offense.
I think this is more saying than fact. Here are how the last ten national champions ranked in Scoring Offense and Scoring Defense.

Format is "Team Name: O Rank / D Rank"
  • 2019 - Cabrini: 12 / 5
  • 2018 - Wesleyan 48 / 75
  • 2017 - Salisbury: 4 / 7
  • 2016 - Salisbury: 7 / 10
  • 2015 - Tufts: 2 / 94
  • 2014 - Tufts: 2 / 118
  • 2013 - Stevenson: 4 / 22
  • 2012 - Salisbury: 1 / 2
  • 2011 - Salisbury: 6 / 3
  • 2010 - Tufts: 20 / 47
  • AVG: 10.6 / 38.3
Of those ten:
- Seven had scoring offenses ranked in the top ten nationally. Only one (Wesleyan) had a scoring offense outside the top twenty.
- Five had scoring defenses ranked in the top ten nationally. Three had defenses ranked 75th or worse nationally.
- Only two had defenses ranked higher than their offense, and one of those was a Salisbury team that was 6th nationally in offense and 3rd in defense.

I realize this is a simplistic way to evaluate things (stats people please don't yell at me), but I still think it indicates a trend. You need a great offense to win a title. You don't need a great defense. It obviously helps, but it's not the most important factor.
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

NBN NESCAC Week Three “Predictions, Prognostications & Power Rankings”

First; Tuft wins the “Golden Peanut Trophy” for the match up in the “Pachyderm Bowl”; thank you AH23 for your contribution… seriously you should run out and patent that about right now.

What a week in the NESCAC, Some Up-sets, Some Blow-Outs, some players return and some players still not ready to go. (Where in the hell is Hoffman)

Let me Start with this weeks Power Rankings and we have a few changes

1.) Williams; I have the Ephs at #1 and with an on the road victory at Union w/no BH #44 was a big. Hands down I got think either Williams or Tufts will be the National Champion this year.
2.) Tufts; Amazing performance on Saturday, clearly over the next 2 weeks if the Jumbo can Jack Stevens and Gettysburg like they did to Amherst …they will move to number 1 here and, in the country, as well…too many guys to praise here …. Impressive So Far
3.) Middlebury (2-0); Panthers jump to #3 up 1, like the team make up. Always hard to win at Bowdoin on the road but laid the Hammer to CT College. #0 & #14 you must contain these guys.
4.) Amherst (2-1); Drop one spot, but clearly a great team. To JT’s point, its ok to have mistake in early March, you don’t want them come May.
5.) Trinity (2-1); During their scrimmage with Wesleyan, I decided that this was not normal Bantam team of recent years pass. I have them climbing 3 spots this week; they traveled to a difficult place to play where the visitors get no calls, Bates got their All-American back, (after watching the replay) and they played one of the most unselfish games I have seen play…, they played as a team.
6.) Wesleyan (2-1); I have Cards dropping another spot. On paper this team is a TOP 10 Team, I not sure what’s going on, but something is not clicking yet.
7.) Hamilton (2-1); The Colonels are a solid team and getting better. They will still have moments through the year, but they will put up a difficult fight especially at home. Keep eyes on #2, was great player in HS. Great win for the team and program against Bowdoin…. Just remember guys “I called it”
8.) Bates (1-4); At the beginning of the season, I had Bates as a Top 20, they have Top 20 Talent and one of the best players in the country (#45), The schedule is not a soft schedule at all; yes, they have 4 losses. A tough loss to Babson, but Babson only loss to WNE by 2 who drop Wesleyan by 3. The season is not over for these guys but with Western New England and Amherst this week; a potential 1-6 start was something never imaginable.
9.) Bowdoin (0-2); The Polar Bears get stunned in close back to back games. I believed that Hamilton is much improved, and Middlebury has the makings of a very solid teams. However, I don’t see Bowdoin winning more than 2 conference games.
10.) Colby (1-2); I wanted to see how the Mustangs would fair heading out to Williams before making a judgment. Unfortunately, I see this being a long year as of right now; after a very good campaign last year.
11) CT College (1-1); Middlebury is a very difficult place to play. Camels need a few more ACC players I guess, boy… that’s a long ride home.

Week Three Predictions

Tuesday 10Th
Plattsburg State vs. Middlebury; Panthers roll in easy bout 22-6
Amherst vs. Endicott; Lights out early, Amherst 30 – 0
Hartwick vs. Hamilton; Colonels 18-8
Bates vs. Western New England; Deep breath here this one ( I know that the Bears played Amherst close and beat Wesleyan) Going with the Bobcat’s to turn it around here in a close 12-10 battle
Ithaca vs. Tufts; Jumbo 27-3

Wednesday 11Th
Scranton vs. Wesleyan; Cards if they wake up; 10-7
Babson vs. Bowdoin; Sorry Polar Bears…, Babson is better that people think 11-10
RPI vs. Williams; William continue to roll as well 15-7
Clark vs. Trinity; While Clark is 0-4, they have played close games so far including a 2-point loss to WNE, Bantam better be ready for a game, I keep this one in NESCAC Family – Bant’s 14-11

Saturday 14th
Wesleyan vs. Colby; Long Trip North and Mustangs will hang but Cards by 4. 11-7
Williams vs Bowdoin; 20 -8 Williams, Polar Bears might put up a fight but will be worn down.
Hamilton vs. Ct College; Colonels get 2nd League Victory of this early year.
Bates vs. Amherst; Amherst 16-8
Tufts vs. Stevens; There were plenty of scouts there on Saturday from Stevens and Gettysburg and they are scared. Jumbo need to put a beat down on these guys and will 25-7

“Game of the Week in the NESCAC”
Middlebury vs. Trinity; this should be a fun game to watch, If the Bantams had a 50/50 Fogo Guy I’d give them the edge ( you can’t be 25% on Face-Offs and win) . Panthers in a close battle 14-13; but I would not be surprised if Trinity Wins.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Will be an interesting week for sure. Regarding the power rankings - I think you have it - I see the bottom 5 changing around all year, but basically staying bottom 5 - unless one of them builds momentum like Middlebury did late last year. Bates, Wesleyan and Trinity to a point are the big surprises this year so far...
Empirelaxer

Post by Empirelaxer »

Bowdoin and Wesleyan have cancelled spring break trips to Fla. Is Middlebury next?
ItsAlwaysSunny

Post by ItsAlwaysSunny »

Empirelaxer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:27 am Bowdoin and Wesleyan have cancelled spring break trips to Fla. Is Middlebury next?
Post game handshake line after the Pachyderm Bowl on Saturday, teams were directed to leave their gloves on. So that's something. :roll:
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Hearing Columbia is adding lacrosse for 2021. Peter Lasagna seemingly the favorite for the job, given his ties to the university.
Where are you hearing this? What ties does he have to Columbia?
Flyersfan

Post by Flyersfan »

I know of ties to Brown ; what are the Columbia ties ?
He has a lot of time invested in Maine

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”