All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

wgdsr

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:23 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:06 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:02 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:59 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:32 pm https://apple.news/A6RoOZIlERaS3QpOS0HMsqg

Rollout problems
lmao. so many juicy quotes.

and am so looking forward to seeing what happens to the eu/uk/azn showdown.
Meh
hahaha! you owe royalties!
good movie!! might catch that and outbreak again soon. espec. if there's no good games on.
saw dark waters a week or 2 ago. a little slow but good show.

what are they doing shaking hands! no masks, no social distancing. no sanitizer, no washing hands. indoors and not in a big box. we can all learn from this.
I can’t remember was Outbreak the Michael Crichton book (movie?). I liked Dark Waters but it got a bit long..... One of the DuPont kids went to summer camp with some of my college teammates. They got him drunk and got him a tattoo....he also fell over and knocked his front teeth out.....I worked in Cincinnati during that era. The law firm scene where the junior guy was smacked down was vintage....so accurate.
i don't think so. he wrote andromeda strain, which was similar and i doubt he'd do another just like it. long time ago movie and then they did another adaptation 10? years ago. i read the book maybe 20 years ago. worth reading.

cincy! the interplay with communities was interesting.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:29 pm the Juice is Loose

What a country!
the juice made snl last night for that. liked the gloves don't fit line.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:29 pm the Juice is Loose

What a country!
the juice made snl last night for that. liked the gloves don't fit line.
Yep. I saw that clip. Posted it somewhere else. My cousins hung out with OJ in Laguna Beach. They convinced him they had met before....he treated them to food and drinks and some hot women. Too arrogant to say “I don’t know you” :lol:
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:32 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:23 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:06 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:02 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:59 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:32 pm https://apple.news/A6RoOZIlERaS3QpOS0HMsqg

Rollout problems
lmao. so many juicy quotes.

and am so looking forward to seeing what happens to the eu/uk/azn showdown.
Meh
hahaha! you owe royalties!
good movie!! might catch that and outbreak again soon. espec. if there's no good games on.
saw dark waters a week or 2 ago. a little slow but good show.

what are they doing shaking hands! no masks, no social distancing. no sanitizer, no washing hands. indoors and not in a big box. we can all learn from this.
I can’t remember was Outbreak the Michael Crichton book (movie?). I liked Dark Waters but it got a bit long..... One of the DuPont kids went to summer camp with some of my college teammates. They got him drunk and got him a tattoo....he also fell over and knocked his front teeth out.....I worked in Cincinnati during that era. The law firm scene where the junior guy was smacked down was vintage....so accurate.
i don't think so. he wrote andromeda strain, which was similar and i doubt he'd do another just like it. long time ago movie and then they did another adaptation 10? years ago. i read the book maybe 20 years ago. worth reading.

cincy! the interplay with communities was interesting.
I was thinking Hot Zone. I read that and Jurassic Park on vacation once and confused it. Richard Preston wrote Hot Zone.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Grim times in the EU. Border closures. Increased lockdowns. Vaccine delivery shortfalls. Sniping at the Brits for vaccine hoarding.

In Portugal, nobody but police on the streets. Remorse after they opened to tourism for Xmas. 806 of 850 ICU beds full. Patients being airlifted from Lisboa to a 157 bed clinic in Maderia. Can we vaccinate fast enough here to hold it off & contain mutations in CA & FL ? :shock:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:01 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:50 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:37 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:39 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgdhp

The media they sure do have Andy's back on this one. King Andy is not responsible for these deaths in NYS nursing homes... New York is responsible. That does not make sense because a lot of folks here have blamed dump for the death of 400 thousand people. Should they not be blaming the United States for the failure if that is the logic being used by some folks in the press? I got it... that's different. :roll:
There is much better logic in blaming the former president for a large portion of the deaths in the US, because there was an OBVIOUS lack of federal coordination, intervention, and support. There are plenty of other countries that fared better than the US with more effective governmental action.

At one time, the US had built a better mechanism for response to a pandemic but Trump and his cronies actually dismantled it. And some of the continued deaths that are upcoming will be attributable to this basic abdication of responsibility, as the basis of an effective response has to be built almost from scratch.

In addition to not acting correctly to combat the pandemic, Trump and his cronies politicized all sorts of effective measure, and followed goose chases to find a miracle cure in such a way to make a vast portion of his followers to question everything about the actual science/medicine. That continues to make it very difficult to put back together an effective response.
Ridiculous. Both sides politicized Covid. When will you start to see things more honestly? My guess... never.

And stop covering for Biden and his cronies. They wanted power, it's all now their's to fix.
You mean that one “side” said yikes this has the potential to be a huge health and economic crisis if we don’t act in a coordinated, aggressive way driven by the federal government?

And the other “side” called that a Democrat, media Fake News “hoax”?
Simplistic MSNBC/CNN propaganda... nice work mdlax
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

From the NY Times on Twitter this morning:
Take a representative sample of 75,000 U.S. adults, and Covid has killed 150 of them.

A typical flu season kills between 5 and 15 out of every 75,000 U.S. adults.

How many of the 75,000 people who’ve received a Covid vaccine have died? Zero.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/01/brie ... olice.html
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:09 am From the NY Times on Twitter this morning:
Take a representative sample of 75,000 U.S. adults, and Covid has killed 150 of them.

that's an odd thing to write, most especially as it's not true.

though the gray lady ain't what she used to be. who is?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:18 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:39 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgdhp

The media they sure do have Andy's back on this one. King Andy is not responsible for these deaths in NYS nursing homes... New York is responsible. That does not make sense because a lot of folks here have blamed dump for the death of 400 thousand people. Should they not be blaming the United States for the failure if that is the logic being used by some folks in the press? I got it... that's different. :roll:
There is much better logic in blaming the former president for a large portion of the deaths in the US, because there was an OBVIOUS lack of federal coordination, intervention, and support. There are plenty of other countries that fared better than the US with more effective governmental action.

At one time, the US had built a better mechanism for response to a pandemic but Trump and his cronies actually dismantled it. And some of the continued deaths that are upcoming will be attributable to this basic abdication of responsibility, as the basis of an effective response has to be built almost from scratch.

In addition to not acting correctly to combat the pandemic, Trump and his cronies politicized all sorts of effective measure, and followed goose chases to find a miracle cure in such a way to make a vast portion of his followers to question everything about the actual science/medicine. That continues to make it very difficult to put back together an effective response.
Ridiculous. Both sides politicized Covid. When will you start to see things more honestly? My guess... never.

And stop covering for Biden and his cronies. They wanted power, it's all now their's to fix.
You mean that one “side” said yikes this has the potential to be a huge health and economic crisis if we don’t act in a coordinated, aggressive way driven by the federal government?

That's the extent of your response, Q?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:43 am
RedFromMI wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:09 am From the NY Times on Twitter this morning:

If you are going to say this is not true, at least provide some sort of backup as to what is not true. Where are they wrong?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:10 am

If you are going to say this is not true, at least provide some sort of backup as to what is not true. Where are they wrong?
what i bolded is wrong. the other stats i don't know and hope they'd be accurate, but i sure wouldn't bet the farm on it now.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:14 am

what i bolded is wrong. the other stats i don't know and hope they'd be accurate, but i sure wouldn't bet the farm on it now.
Died of Covid?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:49 am

Ha. And by your response it's quite obvious you're a biased, dead end re this subject.

Just for you, I'll repost this article. Did you even read it before or is the author cause for instant rejection? If so, just more bias on your part.

This is a truthful article whether you're capable of either understanding and/or admitting it:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/o ... s-2188255/
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:17 am

Died of Covid?
All I can find is one doctor who died of a rare disorder a few weeks after vaccination, but that death is not believed to be linked to the vaccine (and _definitely_ not a COVID death).
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:44 am

Died of Covid?
All I can find is one doctor who died of a rare disorder a few weeks after vaccination, but that death is not believed to be linked to the vaccine (and _definitely_ not a COVID death).
RRR posted a link to the database where you self-reported updates on vaxx, it also included deaths, but was hard to discern certainty.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:49 am

Ha. And by your response it's quite obvious you're a biased, dead end re this subject.

Just for you, I'll repost this article. Did you even read it before or is the author cause for instant rejection? If so, just more bias on your part.

This is a truthful article whether you're capable of either understanding and/or admitting it:

I'd read it before and just read it again. Yes, VDH is a right wing propagandist. Typical stuff from him.

Now as to his points, and by your post you're suggesting that they're yours, you two are drawing an equivalence to the Dems ripping Trump for his failures of leadership and decision making in the coronavirus crisis, as the Election Day approached....and those many months of politically motivated failures of Trump... That's it???

You see these as equivalent "politicization"???

You still haven't responded to the two very different ways the "sides" (science versus anti-science) took to the pandemic, playing out for months with continuing disastrous effect.

Listen, I think there were legitimate questions as to what policies would best serve the American public at each stage of this public heath and economic crisis, questions on which people of good faith could fairly disagree, however Trump and his acolytes were never actors in good faith...and that's unfortunately the truth.

Those of us who were early on and continuously thereafter saying that consistent, universal sacrifices were necessary to prevent far greater costs longer term were correct. Countries which responded the most aggressively have suffered the least. Likewise, those of us who were immediately calling for following the lead of Asian countries, who had considerably more experience with respiratory epidemics, to mask up and socially distance, were quite correct. But half the country listened to a leader who told them the opposite, who attempted to shift blame to others, who refused to accept responsibility to lead an all-government, coordinated, competent response to an epic crisis...and here we are.

That doesn't mean that America got nothing right, to the contrary, half the country took responsibility, the scientists worked diligently, medical folks were heroic...lots of courageous and self-sacrificing people among our neighbors.

There's room to come together on this, learn from our mistakes, and move forward to address the next challenges...but as long as many cling to false equivalencies, or worse, that can't fully happen.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Died of Covid?
we've vaccinated 10s of millions of people. of course people are going to die, it's not the fountain of youth, it's protection against getting covid and hopefully getting it severely.
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... d-vaccines
"Through Jan. 18, 196 people have died after getting a vaccine.

Most of these deaths -- 129 -- were in patients in long term care facilities. These deaths are still being investigated, but when they were compared with the number of deaths that might be expected over the same period due to natural causes, they seemed to be coincidental and not caused by the vaccine, said Tom Shimabukuro, MD, deputy director of the Immunization Safety Office at the CDC, who studied the data."

@ january 18, we had approx 15,532,000 people vaccinated.
196/15,532,000 = 0.0000126191

0.0000126191 x 75,000 = 0.946 people. as of jan 18.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:59 am

Died of Covid?
we've vaccinated 10s of millions of people. of course people are going to die, it's not the fountain of youth, it's protection against getting covid and hopefully getting it severely.
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... d-vaccines
"Through Jan. 18, 196 people have died after getting a vaccine.

Most of these deaths -- 129 -- were in patients in long term care facilities. These deaths are still being investigated, but when they were compared with the number of deaths that might be expected over the same period due to natural causes, they seemed to be coincidental and not caused by the vaccine, said Tom Shimabukuro, MD, deputy director of the Immunization Safety Office at the CDC, who studied the data."

@ january 18, we had approx 15,532,000 people vaccinated.
196/15,532,000 = 0.0000126191

0.0000126191 x 75,000 = 0.946 people. as of jan 18.
So, is the NYT's implication fundamentally correct or clearly false?

If you mean that they should have used the words "from Covid", so that no one would be confused, ok.

Seems to me that their point in that article is that whatever % "effective" the vaccines are, they appear, so far, to be perfect or darn near so in preventing death as an outcome from Covid. Not perfect in preventing any illness but remarkably good at preventing the most serious outcomes...

Which certainly seems to be an important point! Hope it holds true...It would be especially fantastic if the J&J one has that outcome.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ok. i just went back and read the article. turns out.. it was useful, accurate, and getting the word out in a media environment that's maybe less than helpful re: "effectiveness" for our vaccines. lays it out well and is what i've been saying for a while. what matters most with these vaccines is the cut down on severe illness. it's not a force field. and that people aren't getting the right message, so stuff like this article helps.

of secondary importance but of value until vaccinations are more widespread, is cutdown on mild illness, as that is still tbd on transmissibilty. but severe illness cutdown is what matters most.

what red quoted was twitter. same guy that authored the article got lazy with his tweet. not surprising in our insta-info age in that medium with character limitations influencing. article was well done and informative for folks. we need more of them. and less twitter.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 am Ha. And by your response it's quite obvious you're a biased, dead end re this subject

:lol: So the board's centrist hits MDLax for bias, and to prove his point, he cites Victor David Hanson------who gee whiz golly, "forgot" to post one single article hammering Trump for----well, take your pick----for four freaking years. Not one article criticizing Trump.

You say you're a centrist, but you gobble up the right wing games with relish. What do I mean by this?

First of all, VDH claimed the media stopped covering the virus after the election. Which is a flat out lie. Death counts, ICU counts, maps that showed "hot spots" were ALL OVER the FRONT PAGE of every media outlet in America. So he starts the piece by making the standard FoxNation lie----"the media are big meanies to Trump".

Nope. That's a lie. And Pete and others tried to tell that lie----that the Media would stop the death and ICU counts after the election. Nope. We refuted that as it happened back in November. Day after day. The death counts continued. The grim forecasts continued. And even today----trot on over to CNN, or any other media site. Grim news of Covid. So for F's sake, VDH is lying to you.

Second of all, did you notice something missing from this "both sides do it" article from VDH?

VDH ONLY CITED DEMS in the entire piece!

So with VDH's whatboutism, VDH "forgot" to criticize Trump's political rhetoric, and instead quoted Harris. Whoops. I'm sure that was an evenhanded oversight, right?

And yet this is your idea of a "truthful" article?

Edited for awful sytax....
Last edited by a fan on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”