All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

njbill

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by njbill »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:54 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:37 pm Maybe down the road. I don’t agree with the approach that is generally being used to divide up the “healthy” population into +65s and 16-64s.

I think that has been a major reason why things are so screwed up in New Jersey right now. They should have first opened it up to, say, 80s, then 75s, then 70s, then 65s.

Similarly, when they go below the 65s, they should open it up, say, to 60s, then 55s, then 50s. Maybe after the 16 to 50s.
the biggest eff up on vaccines imo has been the initial recommendations for healthcare workers. then they told states to open it up as that was a disaster, but the die was cast. what should've been emphasized, which hasn't been since this whole thing started a year ago, was the most vulnerable.

we could've had a delivery for almost every person above 65 at the states right now, and wouldn't need to bifurcate above 65. and every one of them done by end feb. the only group i would except maybe is school and staff to get kids back in school by march. i believe they're under 10 million people. phase them in after the 1st couple weeks and nursing homes were done, elderly started.

now, states have parallel cohorts everywhere. don't remember if i posted this before, i think i did:
https://www.flgov.com/2021/01/20/florid ... -approach/

the numbers aren't much different now. florida way in the lead. west virginia gov says everyone over 65 will have been vaccinated (maybe 1st shot?) by feb 14. most all other states giving shots to "essential workers" of all flavors.
You have to look at three things. How much vaccine are you getting? What is your administration capability? And how many people are in the group you are considering making eligible?

If the number of people in the about-to-be-made-eligible group is larger by many many multiples than either of the first two categories, your program will be a disaster if appointments are made simply on a first come first served basis.

New Jersey added 65s on or around January 10 or 12. At that point, I think only one (maybe two) of their six mega centers were open and operating. But the rest opened within a matter of days.

All of us old farts have lots of time on our hands plus we are highly motivated to want to get a shot so we overwhelmed the system as soon as they opened it up to everyone over age 65.

If we were getting, say, 10 times the amount of doses and had much broader distribution and administration capabilities, then you can open up eligibility to an extremely large group.

Obviously, from a selfish perspective, I am glad New Jersey has made the 65s eligible, but I have some degree of guilt looking around at similarly situated friends and family members who simply can’t get an appointment.

Unless you are referring to the fact that reportedly a sizable number of healthcare workers aren’t taking the vaccine even though eligible, I’m not sure what you mean by eff’d up. And I really wouldn’t call that an eff up by the government, but rather knuckleheaded decisions by those who won’t take the vaccine. I suppose it is debatable as to whether that was predictable, but I think the powers that be had to err on the side of having enough vaccine and enough administration capabilities to take care of virtually all healthcare workers if they decided to get vaccinated.

I actually don’t have a problem with healthcare workers, and other essential personnel, going first. They are out there dealing with patients every day and thus get exposed to one degree or another. It is important that we keep them up and running.

I am OK with elderly teachers, say, over age 50, going next. Not sure a 25-year-old teacher should be given priority over an 80 year old person.

If NJ had opened things up to over 65s before healthcare workers, I think we would have been in an unholy mess of a situation because back in December the state’s administration capabilities were pretty limited. Again, all of us old farts would have jammed the system from day one. The first 10% who got online would get appointments, and then the rest would be scrambling, having to check multiple websites every day to try to find openings.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Bart wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:49 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:37 pm Maybe down the road. I don’t agree with the approach that is generally being used to divide up the “healthy” population into +65s and 16-64s.

I think that has been a major reason why things are so screwed up in New Jersey right now. They should have first opened it up to, say, 80s, then 75s, then 70s, then 65s.

Similarly, when they go below the 65s, they should open it up, say, to 60s, then 55s, then 50s. Maybe after the 16 to 50s.
the biggest eff up on vaccines imo has been the initial recommendations for healthcare workers. then they told states to open it up as that was a disaster, but the die was cast. what should've been emphasized, which hasn't been since this whole thing started a year ago, was the most vulnerable.

we could've had a delivery for almost every person above 65 at the states right now, and wouldn't need to bifurcate above 65. and every one of them done by end feb. the only group i would except maybe is school and staff to get kids back in school by march. i believe they're under 10 million people. phase them in after the 1st couple weeks and nursing homes were done, elderly started.

now, states have parallel cohorts everywhere. don't remember if i posted this before, i think i did:

the numbers aren't much different now. florida way in the lead. west virginia gov says everyone over 65 will have been vaccinated (maybe 1st shot?) by feb 14. most all other states giving shots to "essential workers" of all flavors.
Are you suggesting that health care workers should not have been near the front?
i am.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njbill wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:00 pm

You have to look at three things. How much vaccine are you getting? What is your administration capability? And how many people are in the group you are considering making eligible?

If the number of people in the about-to-be-made-eligible group is larger by many many multiples than either of the first two categories, your program will be a disaster if appointments are made simply on a first come first served basis.

New Jersey added 65s on or around January 10 or 12. At that point, I think only one (maybe two) of their six mega centers were open and operating. But the rest opened within a matter of days.

All of us old farts have lots of time on our hands plus we are highly motivated to want to get a shot so we overwhelmed the system as soon as they opened it up to everyone over age 65.

If we were getting, say, 10 times the amount of doses and had much broader distribution and administration capabilities, then you can open up eligibility to an extremely large group.

Obviously, from a selfish perspective, I am glad New Jersey has made the 65s eligible, but I have some degree of guilt looking around at similarly situated friends and family members who simply can’t get an appointment.

Unless you are referring to the fact that reportedly a sizable number of healthcare workers aren’t taking the vaccine even though eligible, I’m not sure what you mean by eff’d up. And I really wouldn’t call that an eff up by the government, but rather knuckleheaded decisions by those who won’t take the vaccine. I suppose it is debatable as to whether that was predictable, but I think the powers that be had to err on the side of having enough vaccine and enough administration capabilities to take care of virtually all healthcare workers if they decided to get vaccinated.

I actually don’t have a problem with healthcare workers, and other essential personnel, going first. They are out there dealing with patients every day and thus get exposed to one degree or another. It is important that we keep them up and running.

I am OK with elderly teachers, say, over age 50, going next. Not sure a 25-year-old teacher should be given priority over an 80 year old person.

If NJ had opened things up to over 65s before healthcare workers, I think we would have been in an unholy mess of a situation because back in December the state’s administration capabilities were pretty limited. Again, all of us old farts would have jammed the system from day one. The first 10% who got online would get appointments, and then the rest would be scrambling, having to check multiple websites every day to try to find openings.
this is a pretty easy fix. over 65s register, and you're told when you have an appointment.

from the state (or local) side, you could do it by age (and who registered 1st by age groups i.e. over 75 1st).

all the essential workers, and all the other cohorts, and even "all" healthcare workers (many of whom have zero to do with covid contact) mean we have many states sitting at over 65 with 30+% or less of vaccines distributed.

i qualify 4 ways in my state. ridiculous.
Bart

Post by Bart »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:07 pm

Are you suggesting that health care workers should not have been near the front?
i am.
Well. I’m gonna disagree with ya on that one
njbill

Post by njbill »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:14 pm this is a pretty easy fix. over 65s register, and you're told when you have an appointment.

from the state (or local) side, you could do it by age (and who registered 1st by age groups i.e. over 75 1st).

all the essential workers, and all the other cohorts, and even "all" healthcare workers (many of whom have zero to do with covid contact) mean we have many states sitting at over 65 with 30+% or less of vaccines distributed.

It would seem like that would be an easy fix, but it hasn’t worked that way in operation. People register, and then wait. And wait. And wait. It doesn’t seem as though open slots are filled by the state via the registration system, but rather by “snipers” constantly scouring the websites for openings.

Well, that was my suggestion. Break it down into subgroups: 80s, 75s, 70s, etc.

There would be some equity to first come first serve, but New Jersey isn’t doing that. My buddy who tipped me off to this site registered four hours before I did. But I got an appointment five weeks before he did.

I’m hoping New Jersey will learn from the mess they made of the 65 roll out so that the roll outs for additional groups will go more smoothly. But one thing they simply cannot do is to open it up all at once for the 16-64 group. That will not work. They have to come up with a system that provides some order to the registering and appointment assignment process.

I frankly can see why the smaller states and localities are doing a better job. Much easier to manage when the scale is small.

You must be an old doctor, who also teaches and smokes. ;)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njbill wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:35 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:14 pm this is a pretty easy fix. over 65s register, and you're told when you have an appointment.

It would seem like that would be an easy fix, but it hasn’t worked that way in operation. People register, and then wait. And wait. And wait. It doesn’t seem as though open slots are filled by the state via the registration system, but rather by “snipers” constantly scouring the websites for openings.

Well, that was my suggestion. Break it down into subgroups: 80s, 75s, 70s, etc.

There would be some equity to first come first serve, but New Jersey isn’t doing that. My buddy who tipped me off to this site registered four hours before I did. But I got an appointment five weeks before he did.

I’m hoping New Jersey will learn from the mess they made of the 65 roll out so that the roll outs for additional groups will go more smoothly. But one thing they simply cannot do is to open it up all at once for the 16-64 group. That will not work. They have to come up with a system that provides some order to the registering and appointment assignment process.

I frankly can see why the smaller states and localities are doing a better job. Much easier to manage when the scale is small.

You must be an old doctor, who also teaches and smokes. ;)
but what your state is doing in operation isn't what i'm suggesting. no one snipes anything. you register, and the state lets you know when your appointment is. or give someone 2 choices.

the state/county can then organize it however they like. it's a coding program.

the older folks that register in your state have to wait and wait bc your state (and many others) allows snipers and all number of cohorts to snipe.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Bart wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:24 pm

i am.
well, you're the first one to disagree with me on here for anything, but it is a free country! hope you're not lonely!
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“We have no idea what is out there in our country. We don’t even know what we don’t know.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Bart

Post by Bart »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:56 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:24 pm

i am.
well, you're the first one to disagree with me on here for anything, but it is a free country! hope you're not lonely!
Ha!
njbill

Post by njbill »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:53 pm but what your state is doing in operation isn't what i'm suggesting. no one snipes anything. you register, and the state lets you know when your appointment is. or give someone 2 choices.

the state/county can then organize it however they like. it's a coding program.

the older folks that register in your state have to wait and wait bc your state (and many others) allows snipers and all number of cohorts to snipe.
I understand and pretty much agree. Sniping shouldn’t be permitted.

To get an appointment in NJ, you need to register on both the state website and the site of the specific venue you plan on going to for your shot. Lots of folks have registered on the sites of more than one venue, sometimes many many venues.

It seems as though appointments are being made by each specific site and that the state has no role in that. Furthermore, it isn’t even clear to me whether information is being shared between the state and the specific sites or between the specific sites. If it is (hope so), that hasn’t been disclosed as far as I know.

Unless you are one of the lucky ones, like me, after you register, you will be told no slots are currently available, but that you will be notified when slots become available. They don’t tell you what criteria are used for notifying people that slots have opened and that they are now eligible to make an appointment. First come first serve? Age? Don’t know.

The way they say it is supposed to work is that when a bunch of slots become available, the specific site will notify you. They don’t just give you one or two choices. For example, when I was notified I could make an appointment, I had scores and scores of options: many, many 15 min. slots over a number of days. Now, they weren’t holding those slots for me. I had to grab one. If I had dawdled, I might have gotten shut out.

Just a guess, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the system allows anybody who has registered on a site to snipe, regardless of whether they have been notified they are eligible to make an appointment. That is the only explanation I have for why my cousin, who hadn’t been notified, was able to access appointment slots and grab one today.

I was told today that a slot has already been reserved for me for my second shot. (In theory, that is. I don’t actually have electronic confirmation of a specific time and date.) My first shot is on February 15 so I guess (hope) I have a reservation for March 8. (Will be getting the Pfizer vaccine.) I would imagine that means everybody with an appointment on February 15 will fill up all of the March 8 slots.

If this is how it operates, it would be helpful for them to make a general announcement that all slots are now filled through, say, April 30. If any openings occur, we will advise people who don’t have an appointment of the slot’s availability in the order in which people registered on the site. That person will have, say, 24 hours to take the appointment. If they don’t, the appointment goes back into the hopper and the next person will be offered the slot.

The bottom line is that there is very little transparency in New Jersey about how the appointment system works in practice, other than the basics of you have to register and we will let you know when you can make an appointment.
Nigel

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Nigel »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:38 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:47 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:27 am Fredo’s brother was cooking the books in NY after he sentenced those old people to death.

We all knew it then, and some of us pointed it out here. Only to get shouted down and told we were imagining things.

Apparently not.

Cuomo was so hell bent on being seen as the know-it-all, tough guy, he had to bullshirt. Imagine that.
King Andy lied to the people he benevolently rules?? Who would have saw that coming? His own AG is calling him out. When Tish James latches on to your chestnuts yer in trouble. Maybe Joltin Joe still has a spot for King Andy in his administration? The Kings act grew tiresome a very long time ago. It took a long time but even the folks in his own party see him for the pile of excrement that he is.
You guys are silly. He has won awards, for inspired leadership, and written books. How can you not see the greatness in him? ;) :lol:
It takes a profound, deep thinking FLP type of individual to see the greatness in King Andy. ;)
You mean like these NYS leaders?
https://trulytimes.com/troll-replaced-t ... st-it.html

Remember when C**** put up all those signs on the thruway in violation of DOT laws? Well, somebody did him one better.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Nigel wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:39 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:38 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:47 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:27 am Fredo’s brother was cooking the books in NY after he sentenced those old people to death.

We all knew it then, and some of us pointed it out here. Only to get shouted down and told we were imagining things.

Apparently not.

Cuomo was so hell bent on being seen as the know-it-all, tough guy, he had to bullshirt. Imagine that.
King Andy lied to the people he benevolently rules?? Who would have saw that coming? His own AG is calling him out. When Tish James latches on to your chestnuts yer in trouble. Maybe Joltin Joe still has a spot for King Andy in his administration? The Kings act grew tiresome a very long time ago. It took a long time but even the folks in his own party see him for the pile of excrement that he is.
You guys are silly. He has won awards, for inspired leadership, and written books. How can you not see the greatness in him? ;) :lol:
It takes a profound, deep thinking FLP type of individual to see the greatness in King Andy. ;)
You mean like these NYS leaders?
https://trulytimes.com/troll-replaced-t ... st-it.html

Remember when C**** put up all those signs on the thruway in violation of DOT laws? Well, somebody did him one better.

What is really sad is there is a good possibility, thanks to NYC that he will be re elected. The wild card is Tish James if she decides to run.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Apparently not.

So true. When I raised the horrendous error made, based on what Cuomo had ordered re nursing homes, Mdlax immediately came to his defense. Thinking mdlax knew something (he didn't), I stepped back (I shouldn't have).

Cuomo's statement yesterday was, first of all, disgusting, and reveals the cover up many of us knew, without any help from the indifferent, Trump-obsessed media, was happening.

Well Andrew, if all those old folks "just died," why the need to lie about their numbers? And oh that's right, it's a political attack, and a Fed problem.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:43 am

Apparently not.

So true. When I raised the horrendous error made, based on what Cuomo had ordered re nursing homes, Mdlax immediately came to his defense. Thinking mdlax knew something (he didn't), I stepped back (I shouldn't have).

Cuomo's statement yesterday was, first of all, disgusting, and reveals the cover up many of us knew, without any help from the indifferent, Trump-obsessed media, was happening.

Well Andrew, if all those old folks "just died," why the need to lie about their numbers? And oh that's right, it's a political attack, and a Fed problem.
More people died of COVID at NYS nursing homes than was reported? The total NYS death count was just raised because Andy was cooking the books? I haven’t read the article... coukd you post a link? I stated months ago the the % of NYS deaths at Nursing homes was too low...particularly if “Andy killed all of those people by sending them back”.....I believe nursing home residents sent to hospitals and died were not counted as nursing home deaths but I could be wrong. Post a link when you can.

EDIT: Never mind. I found this;

“The findings do not change the overall number of Covid-19 deaths in New York — more than 42,000, the most of any state — but the recalculation in the number of nursing home deaths illustrates how unprepared the nursing home industry was in the first and deadliest weeks of the pandemic.”

I was right.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

There's been a link...apparently they were only counting deaths as nursing home deaths if they died at the nursing home, once they got to the hospital that's where they died. Shown in a audit of the deaths.

What I haven't seen is a complete comparison (or even projected based upon audit results) that says that NYS had materially more deaths happen for residents of nursing homes than other states with comparable #'s/% in nursing homes.

My hunch would be pretty close to the same, absent any shared learning from early hit areas to later ones...but pretty much everywhere, nursing homes have had serious issues break out.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:32 am There's been a link...apparently they were only counting deaths as nursing home deaths if they died at the nursing home, once they got to the hospital that's where they died. Shown in a audit of the deaths.

What I haven't seen is a complete comparison (or even projected based upon audit results) that says that NYS had materially more deaths happen for residents of nursing homes than other states with comparable #'s/% in nursing homes.

My hunch would be pretty close to the same, absent any shared learning from early hit areas to later ones...but pretty much everywhere, nursing homes have had serious issues break out.
I saw the comparison last summer...as a %, NYS was low compared to WA/CA/NJ/CT and most other places. I figured NYS would track toward average after an audit. This issue of who died where had been covered months ago as the possible reason why NYS numbers looked better. I was said at the time “if Andy ordered these people back to nursing homes, why didn’t the numbers look worse not better”. I was using logic.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/01/28 ... ndercount/

Tish James thinks there was some hinky chit going on by King Andy and his court of jesters. IMO Tish is positioning herself to run for governor. Her campaign slogan should be ABC... Anyone But C**** I'm willing to GIVE C**** to MD Lax free and clear. He could do with him whatever he wants. He could stuff him and mount him and put him in his front yard with a lantern in his hand. He could chain him up in his back yard and toss little balls of caviar for his new pet to chase. He could just wind C**** up and sit him at his kitchen table and listen to him jibber jabber for hours and days on end. So long as MD is happy to have him, NYS is even happier to let him have him. :D This would be a win/win for everybody.
Typical Lax Dad

Old article:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... homes.html

NYS was too low given “King” Andy was sending people back thus getting them killed.....
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:53 am https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/01/28 ... ndercount/

Tish James thinks there was some hinky chit going on by King Andy and his court of jesters. IMO Tish is positioning herself to run for governor. Her campaign slogan should be ABC... Anyone But C**** I'm willing to GIVE C**** to MD Lax free and clear. He could do with him whatever he wants. He could stuff him and mount him and put him in his front yard with a lantern in his hand. He could chain him up in his back yard and toss little balls of caviar for his new pet to chase. He could just wind C**** up and sit him at his kitchen table and listen to him jibber jabber for hours and days on end. So long as MD is happy to have him, NYS is even happier to let him have him. :D This would be a win/win for everybody.
Rehashed arguments.... I was hoping to see something more damaging.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:57 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:53 am https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/01/28 ... ndercount/

Rehashed arguments.... I was hoping to see something more damaging.
:lol: :lol: :lol: King Andy is the ultimate definition of damaging. Many of you folks out there have put him on some sort of a pedestal as to how to lead your state through a pandemic. Many of the people who actually live in NYS understand that despite his non stop whining and b***ing and never ending policy changes he has been a bigger failure than dump. You do remember he begged dump to open up the temp hospital at the Javitts Center and begged dump to bring the Mercy into NY Harbor? Both efforts were nothing but a waste of time, money and resources that could have been used elsewhere. Next to dump King Andy is only a slightly smaller pile of excrement.

Return to “POLITICS”