OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 am Like I was sayin...Frauds from Nap City.
Where dat Dreamsleeper at?

OuttaNowhereWregget

I always appreciate the teams (except Towson, of course) who wear their typical road colors rather than the alternate black uniforms. They're all so ugly. Whose idea was it to make black an alternate uniform color, anyway?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Just get through the week

I had a thought yesterday to go after a poster who went after another poster all high and mighty and scolding. Had the draft all ready to go and just needed to click Submit. Then I had this thought, "Do I want to go through everything that comes with doing this?" I get enough flack for just posting my own opinions let alone going after someone else's. Nah. Another day maybe. For now--I'm feeling like "Just get through the week" as the boys agree on here:

OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:52 pm Michigan put the cherry on top of their record-setting season Sunday in Notre Dame. They will look gassed and outclassed by Boston College by the end of the day. BC by 5-ish.
OuttaNowhereWregget

An actual promise

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:46 pm I think the whole long ride is coming to an end anyway. I don't feel the same inspiration for writing about the sport as I once did. My muse is withdrawing little by little. It's not the first time it's happened with me. I used to be a huge fan of the WTA. Little by little the inspiration to write about and tweet about it waned and finally dried up. Next was women's college basketball which followed the same pattern. Along with those sports, NBA, MLB, NHL and finally the NFL after the demise of Bill Belicheat and the New England Cheatriots. Now women's lacrosse is traveling down the same road. It feels like a relief, truth be told

I've been along for the ride with the two teams I most wanted to see win a national championship--Boston College in '21 and Northwestern in '23. I saw the decline of Maryland which has been very satisfying. I saw Sam Apuzzo, Charlotte North (twice!) and Izzy Scane win the Tewaaraton. Everything I ever really hoped to see since I started following the sport back in 2014 has come to pass. Now, I'm just trying to grind it out till the end of the season.

Sure, I hope the Wildcats win their 9th and I hope Izzy wins another Tewwy but it won't kill me if neither happens. As Madison Taylor said at the pre-game Big 10 tournament presser, "It's just a game at the end of the day." So simple and so true.

At the end of this season a whole host of my favorite players will move on into the workforce, some conferences will realign, who knows what kind of new verkakte rules will be put in place. This season has more and more had a feeling of finality to it for me since February. It won't bother me none, though. Life goes on.

So hold on a little longer, fanlax lads and lasses--shouldn't orta be too much longer now.
Reading back over what I wrote here--I didn't make me no promises, didn't sign me no releases. Key words: think and shouldn't. I orta know these words aren't binding. They are used all the time at the sales counter at work and they both mean the same thing to the customer regarding their order--a lack of assurance.

All to say--if my muse returns, I will write. Now that's a promise...
OuttaNowhereWregget

FINAL FOUR GAMEDAY, BABY!!

OuttaNowhereWregget

Can you say Arrogant, girls and boys?

This is an article I happened to come across yesterday. An NU student's summation of the 2024 season:

Lacrosse season recap: This team is more than a title

Smile because it happened.

By So and So on May 29, 2024

Truth be told, it didn’t matter if Northwestern won.

The program would have nine titles instead of eight, but Northwestern had nothing to prove. The legacy of a great team is not defined by one game, and the legacies of great athletes are not defined by singular plays.

“I’ve just had some of the best experiences of my entire life, and it sucks because it seems like one game changes that,” Izzy Scane said after losing to Boston College in the national championship. “We’ve lost, that sucks, but it’s been a really, really incredible ride.”

“So I’m smiling because it’s been awesome. I love all the people I’ve met through the sport, through Northwestern, through everything. So it’s hard not to smile.”

A championship-winning season may be the goal but Northwestern lacrosse has a championship-winning culture. Eight national titles since 2005 will do that, but this team, specifically, embodied that.

For 10 of the 13 weeks, the 2023 champs were ranked No. 1 in the country. And that was well fought for.

It wasn’t a championship bias.

It wasn’t an easy schedule.

The ‘Cats faced Syracuse, Notre Dame, Boston College, Denver, Johns Hopkins, Penn State, North Carolina, Maryland and Michigan — all in the regular season.

After starting off the season to avenge the 2023 season-opening loss to Syracuse, NU fell to Notre Dame in the second game of the season. While the program’s first loss in over a year sidelined NU from the top spot for two weeks, it was inconsequential and that attitude defines the confidence this team had in itself. It reclaimed the nation’s lead, defeating Boston College 14-11 in a game where Scane had five goals and Erin Coykendall had four.

Penn State pulled out the overtime win against Northwestern in late March, but once again it was quickly moved on from.

Northwestern capped off the regular season as the Big Ten champion with a narrow 13-12 victory over Michigan. It doubled down and then won the Big Ten Tournament, with just a one-point victory over Johns Hopkins and a two-point victory over Penn State in the championship. Maybe the ‘Cats should have had a bigger scoring margin, but this is a team that never gave up. It could come back and that takes strength.

Perfection in sports anyhow is not tangible. Whether determined by a trophy, determined by wins, determined by All-American selections or some other category, perfect doesn't actually matter. There was magic in watching this team across a season where it was the best of the best and featured players who are now ingrained into the sport. That is what should be remembered.

Not Boston College coming back from a 6-0 deficit or the last thirty seconds where Northwestern tried to equalize the score to force overtime in the national championship.

The 2024 title game was the last collegiate game for eight starters — Scane, Coykendall, Dylan Amonte, Lindsey Frank, Carleigh Mahoney, Jane Hansen, Kendall Halpern and Molly Laliberty. That comes down to six years for Scane, five for Amonte and Coykendall and four for Mahoney, Hansen and Halpern. While Frank and Laliberty were graduate transfers, they represented why players come to Northwestern in the first place — the chance to compete at the highest level of lacrosse and to play with and be coached by the all-time best.

2024 is much more than just 2024. While it feels like the end of the era with these departures, it is the start of a new one. It continued to set the foundation for the second wave.

This is the core that helped bring Northwestern a national title after 11 years. This is the core that brought the program to four consecutive Final Fours. This is the core that delivered two consecutive national championship appearances. This is the core that has begun another dynasty under Kelly Amonte Hiller.

The dynamic of Scane and Coykendall will be missed. A fearless scorer in Scane, the Tewaaraton winner — and potentially two-time winner — who holds the sport’s scoring record, and a highly intelligent playmaker in Coykendall, who has facilitated the attack.

But this season also previewed what's to come.

Madison Taylor, the sophomore, led the team in points and her 83 goals were just five less than Scane. Inheriting this offense, the Tewaaraton Finalist has two more years on this team.

Sammy White was a third-team All American in a season where she missed five games. White has always been a key player, and she will somehow inherit and even bigger role with Halpern and Mahoney gone.

The sister duo of Samantha and Madison combined for 155 draw controls and Madison was just a freshman.

Emerson Bohlig received the uptake in minutes that she proved to deserve, and as a junior, her speed and contributions on clears, draws and offense were instrumental.

Northwestern seemed destined for a title in 2024. Just like Boston College was with a group of seniors who last won as freshmen. But Northwestern will be back — the great players depart and the younger ones become great. This team already has a core that can take over.

The 2023 and 2024 teams have shown Northwestern is on top of the lacrosse world with or without a title.

As far as season recaps go, this one is relatively simple. It was dominant, as has become the standard for one of the best programs in lacrosse.

If you weren’t watching, you should have been.

==================================================

The arrogance in this article is stunning. (And I thought Maryland was bad.) The Wildcats lost to a better Boston College team, but the NU program is so lofty that they're above losing, apparently. Wow. Talk about laboring under a misapprehension. But what do you expect from a coddling, enabling college that allows members of the Jew-hating segment of their student body to broadcast their ignorant hate speech on campus. (Yeah--that's right, I took an off-topic shot at the university. Sore spot with me after having been on campus for the semifinals of the Big 10 tournament. To say that it didn't have a negative effect on my entire visit would be lying.) I guess no one read this student's article before it went to press and thought to say, "You might want to tone down the we-are-the-best-no-matter-what rhetoric."

If NU thinks they're just going to pick up where they left off after some of their all-time greats move on, they are sadly mistaken. No matter--they'll be disabused of that notion soon enough...
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

This is exactly why most neutral fans in the sport were routing for BC to beat NU. There seems to be an arrogance to NU that turns a lot of people off. The article you reference highlights just that.
timber18888

Re: Can you say Arrogant, girls and boys?

Post by timber18888 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:22 am This is an article I happened to come across yesterday. An NU student's summation of the 2024 season:

The program would have nine titles instead of eight, but Northwestern had nothing to prove. The legacy of a great team is not defined by one game, and the legacies of great athletes are not defined by singular plays.

“I’ve just had some of the best experiences of my entire life, and it sucks because it seems like one game changes that,” Izzy Scane said after losing to Boston College in the national championship. “We’ve lost, that sucks, but it’s been a really, really incredible ride.”

“So I’m smiling because it’s been awesome. I love all the people I’ve met through the sport, through Northwestern, through everything. So it’s hard not to smile.”

A championship-winning season may be the goal but Northwestern lacrosse has a championship-winning culture. Eight national titles since 2005 will do that, but this team, specifically, embodied that.

For 10 of the 13 weeks, the 2023 champs were ranked No. 1 in the country. And that was well fought for.

The ‘Cats faced Syracuse, Notre Dame, Boston College, Denver, Johns Hopkins, Penn State, North Carolina, Maryland and Michigan — all in the regular season.

After starting off the season to avenge the 2023 season-opening loss to Syracuse, NU fell to Notre Dame in the second game of the season. While the program’s first loss in over a year sidelined NU from the top spot for two weeks, it was inconsequential and that attitude defines the confidence this team had in itself. It reclaimed the nation’s lead, defeating Boston College 14-11 in a game where Scane had five goals and Erin Coykendall had four.

Penn State pulled out the overtime win against Northwestern in late March, but once again it was quickly moved on from.

Northwestern capped off the regular season as the Big Ten champion with a narrow 13-12 victory over Michigan. It doubled down and then won the Big Ten Tournament, with just a one-point victory over Johns Hopkins and a two-point victory over Penn State in the championship. Maybe the ‘Cats should have had a bigger scoring margin, but this is a team that never gave up. It could come back and that takes strength.

Perfection in sports anyhow is not tangible. Whether determined by a trophy, determined by wins, determined by All-American selections or some other category, perfect doesn't actually matter. There was magic in watching this team across a season where it was the best of the best and featured players who are now ingrained into the sport. That is what should be remembered.

Not Boston College coming back from a 6-0 deficit or the last thirty seconds where Northwestern tried to equalize the score to force overtime in the national championship.

The 2024 title game was the last collegiate game for eight starters — Scane, Coykendall, Dylan Amonte, Lindsey Frank, Carleigh Mahoney, Jane Hansen, Kendall Halpern and Molly Laliberty. That comes down to six years for Scane, five for Amonte and Coykendall and four for Mahoney, Hansen and Halpern. While Frank and Laliberty were graduate transfers, they represented why players come to Northwestern in the first place — the chance to compete at the highest level of lacrosse and to play with and be coached by the all-time best.

2024 is much more than just 2024. While it feels like the end of the era with these departures, it is the start of a new one. It continued to set the foundation for the second wave.

This is the core that helped bring Northwestern a national title after 11 years. This is the core that brought the program to four consecutive Final Fours. This is the core that delivered two consecutive national championship appearances. This is the core that has begun another dynasty under Kelly Amonte Hiller.

The dynamic of Scane and Coykendall will be missed. A fearless scorer in Scane, the Tewaaraton winner — and potentially two-time winner — who holds the sport’s scoring record, and a highly intelligent playmaker in Coykendall, who has facilitated the attack.

Madison Taylor, the sophomore, led the team in points and her 83 goals were just five less than Scane. Inheriting this offense, the Tewaaraton Finalist has two more years on this team.

Sammy White was a third-team All American in a season where she missed five games. White has always been a key player, and she will somehow inherit and even bigger role with Halpern and Mahoney gone.

The sister duo of Samantha and Madison combined for 155 draw controls and Madison was just a freshman.

Emerson Bohlig received the uptake in minutes that she proved to deserve, and as a junior, her speed and contributions on clears, draws and offense were instrumental.

Northwestern seemed destined for a title in 2024. Just like Boston College was with a group of seniors who last won as freshmen. But Northwestern will be back — the great players depart and the younger ones become great. This team already has a core that can take over.

The 2023 and 2024 teams have shown Northwestern is on top of the lacrosse world with or without a title.

As far as season recaps go, this one is relatively simple. It was dominant, as has become the standard for one of the best programs in lacrosse.

The arrogance in this article is stunning. (And I thought Maryland was bad.) The Wildcats lost to a better Boston College team, but the NU program is so lofty that they're above losing, apparently. Wow. Talk about laboring under a misapprehension. But what do you expect from a coddling, enabling college that allows members of the Jew-hating segment of their student body to broadcast their ignorant hate speech on campus. (Yeah--that's right, I took an off-topic shot at the university. Sore spot with me after having been on campus for the semifinals of the Big 10 tournament. To say that it didn't have a negative effect on my entire visit would be lying.) I guess no one read this student's article before it went to press and thought to say, "You might want to tone down the we-are-the-best-no-matter-what rhetoric."

If NU thinks they're just going to pick up where they left off after some of their all-time greats move on, they are sadly mistaken. No matter--they'll be disabused of that notion soon enough...
I think you're missing the point?? The article was written on an NU-centric website that was supposed to highlight how one loss shouldn't define a great season, especially with all the seniors leaving next year. I don't think it was intended to be a knock on BC.

Also being a full grown adult attacking the work of a young college student who probably had good intentions isn't a good look.
LaxCats27

Post by LaxCats27 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:22 am This is an article I happened to come across yesterday. An NU student's summation of the 2024 season:

Two publications cover lacrosse on Northwestern's campus. One is far better than the other.
OuttaNowhereWregget

timber18888 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:44 am I think you're missing the point??
You don't sound very sure of yourself...

I think you're missing the point??

I don't think it was intended to be a knock on BC.

probably had good intentions
timber18888 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:44 am The article was written on an NU-centric website that was supposed to highlight how one loss shouldn't define a great season, especially with all the seniors leaving next year. I don't think it was intended to be a knock on BC.
"That is what should be remembered. Not Boston College coming back from a 6-0 deficit or the last thirty seconds where Northwestern tried to equalize the score to force overtime in the national championship."

If you don't think the above is a slight against BC, you must be drinking the same purple kool-aid the writer was drinking when they penned the article. No mention of Dolce's crunch time game saver while NU tried to equalize the score? Please.
timber18888 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:44 am Also being a full grown adult attacking the work of a young college student who probably had good intentions isn't a good look.
So interesting how college students can be (too?) young victims if it's expedient to characterize them thusly. Otherwise we're all supposed to consider them adults and take them seriously anytime they express themselves. Isn't that what the university was/is doing when they became aware of some of their students spewing and chanting and painting and drawing their Jew-hating slogans? Can't have it both ways...

I've been following this team for years and I've never read anything from an NU publication that was this over-the-top arrogant. Not even close.
OuttaNowhereWregget

(duplicate post erased)

(duplicate post erased)
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Thu May 30, 2024 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lacrosselaxin20

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

Lax101 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:37 am This is exactly why most neutral fans in the sport were routing for BC to beat NU. There seems to be an arrogance to NU that turns a lot of people off. The article you reference highlights just that.
Never realized how arrogant NU was until Rhatigan’s final championship goal in 23. Spoke volumes.
OuttaNowhereWregget

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:47 pm
Lax101 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:37 am This is exactly why most neutral fans in the sport were routing for BC to beat NU. There seems to be an arrogance to NU that turns a lot of people off. The article you reference highlights just that.
Never realized how arrogant NU was until Rhatigan’s final championship goal in 23. Spoke volumes.
Dolce got her revenge. Paid in full.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Man, ONW, I sure wish you a speedy recovery from ankle surgery, which clearly was necessitated due to your jumping from the Boston College bandwagon to the Northwestern bandwagon, and then back to the Boston College bandwagon.

Your next screen name should be “Frontrunner.”
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

And next year isn't about the young players. Next year is about the 7-8 transfers that will be brought in from Penn and other schools. Contrary to what the author said, there isn't a whole lot of girls ready to step into a major role especially on offense. Abby LoCascio the number ten recruit in the class of 2022 had 5 goals. The second highest rated recruit they had in that class is at Penn. It will be interesting next year for Madison Taylor as she will no longer see the other teams 3rd or 4th defender.
timber18888

Post by timber18888 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:39 pm
timber18888 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:44 am I think you're missing the point??
You don't sound very sure of yourself...

I think you're missing the point??

I don't think it was intended to be a knock on BC.

probably had good intentions
timber18888 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:44 am The article was written on an NU-centric website that was supposed to highlight how one loss shouldn't define a great season, especially with all the seniors leaving next year. I don't think it was intended to be a knock on BC.
"That is what should be remembered. Not Boston College coming back from a 6-0 deficit or the last thirty seconds where Northwestern tried to equalize the score to force overtime in the national championship."

If you don't think the above is a slight against BC, you must be drinking the same purple kool-aid the writer was drinking when they penned the article. No mention of Dolce's crunch time game saver while NU tried to equalize the score? Please.
timber18888 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:44 am Also being a full grown adult attacking the work of a young college student who probably had good intentions isn't a good look.
So interesting how college students can be (too?) young victims if it's expedient to characterize them thusly. Otherwise we're all supposed to consider them adults and take them seriously anytime they express themselves. Isn't that what the university was/is doing when they became aware of some of their students spewing and chanting and painting and drawing their Jew-hating slogans? Can't have it both ways...

I've been following this team for years and I've never read anything from an NU publication that was this over-the-top arrogant. Not even close.
Why would an article with the purpose of positively reflecting on NORTHWESTERN'S season, with an intended audience of Northwestern fans, mention Dolce's save? There was plenty of coverage about what BC did—that article wasn't the place for it.

If you go back a few articles you can find a rapid reaction that details everything about the game objectivley.
Last edited by timber18888 on Thu May 30, 2024 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

njbill wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 2:02 pm Man, ONW, I sure wish you a speedy recovery from ankle surgery, which clearly was necessitated due to your jumping from the Boston College bandwagon to the Northwestern bandwagon, and then back to the Boston College bandwagon.

Your next screen name should be “Frontrunner.”
Man, njbill, I sure wish you would research what the frick you're talking about before you come at me with your lameass accusations. Apparently, it's been a long, long while since your halcyon days as a litigator. My, how your skills have deteriorated...
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Thu May 30, 2024 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

timber18888 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 2:27 pm Why would an article with the purpose of positively reflecting on NORTHWESTERN'S season, with an intended audience of Northwestern fans, mention Dolce's save? There was plenty of coverage about what BC did—that article wasn't the place for it.
Following that logic, why mention the 6-0 score?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Well, I’m sure glad you took me off your “foe” list and that you read my posts now.

Just what did I “accuse” you of? Jumping on and off of bandwagons? Pretty obvious there, ol’ bean. No research necessary.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”