Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by OCanada »

Well time for you to catch up.

Zinn had an injury last year. You can lead a horse to water but can’t make it drink. But of course you knew that because you are more knowledgeable than the coach.

Seeing eye to eye is one thing talking about stuff you know nothing about is another.

Since Zinn wasn’t a possible who exactly do you think was more capable. Refer to your practice notes if it will help
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:21 pm Well time for you to catch up.

Zinn had an injury last year. You can lead a horse to water but can’t make it drunk. But of course you knew that because you are mote knowledgeable than the coach.

Seeing eye to eye is one thing talking about stuff you know nothing about is another.

Since Zinn wasn’t a possible who exactly do you think was more capable. Refer to your practice notes if it will help
Why did he play on the faceoff wings and some defensive midfield if he was injured?
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:24 am '16 - FWIW - I don't think you likely get a real handle on 3rd attack because there is less than zero chance they put Epstein out there even if he could go. So you'll see the mix of Smith/Angelus/Murphy/Degnon most likely and it will be hard to pick the favorite I might imagine.
What I didn't a great sense of last week was the LSM position behind Reinson - that might be something you would get a feel for one week removed from real bullets.
Overall - I think I would like to hear how the defense plays - they had great energy and assertiveness for 5 quarters but again there were tons of unforced (and some caused) turnovers by the opponents. Can the Jays defense disrupt the 'Cats to some degree in 6v6. I think that's what you want to see.
Fair enough re: the attack, though on the off chance Epstein is forced to miss actual game action, the starting attack tomorrow could tell us more than we think.

I've spent way too much time looking at some of the photos from the last scrimmage—couldn't tell what the LSM rotation looks like but Jaronski and Finley-Ponds were definitely out there at some point to take runs on the wing.

Will probably be spending most of my time trying to figure out who the poles on the field are.

Weather.com is predicting 44 and cloudy, no rain, tomorrow at gametime. About as good as you can hope for for Feb. 1.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:21 pm Well time for you to catch up.

Zinn had an injury last year. You can lead a horse to water but can’t make it drink. But of course you knew that because you are more knowledgeable than the coach.

Injury. Well isn’t strange we’ve heard about Shacks back, Browns foot and others in post seasons about what they battled through but not Zinn. Not one comment from the staff, player, reporter or pundit. Not one. Strangely he appeared in games in some of the most demanding situations (wing play) But you ask for my practice notes? How about you provide additional inside information given your “inside” connections and while your at it address the new open competition concept.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-Alumni including me, are furious w/the admissions thing but that's a private message issue since I'm sure a lot of ppl don't care. Some are considering writing Daniels.
-Tomorrow-goal, ssdm/lsm rotations (hubler/reinson) are the last of the 2019 mohicans, close d, rope unit-last year that was reinson/zinn/kuhn and it'll be critical to take pressure off the d, marr's spot at attack, clearing, gbs, man up-marr is gone shilling/epstein sat last game.
-daniels got rid of crew $200k isn't much for a school like hopkins and those were some of the best student athletes at the school and friends of mine. The rest of the programs seem to be doing well+have new facilities so not sure why there's issues with him on that front.
-they should have done grauer/bananas/the flags on the nets/the band before willis, hopefully those are coming.
-attendance isn't just a hop thing, it's been an issue across college sports+there's no real answer for it. Schools have a different generation of students they need to engage on campus in things besides their phones and tvs. I've never seen Petro engage with actual students on campus aside from watching the players move in and checking to see if they're in class. Having him show up at wolman or terrace or gilman with some tee shirts as d1 hoops/football coaches do would be a start.
-big 10 is swimming in $$$ beyond comprehension, not sure why they need a btn+, you'd think the coaches would want the exposure.
-Harrison posted some video online I guess he was training kids at Kobe's gym the day before he died and 8 met with him. Amazing how far he's brought the sport.
-umbc got some nice words from stevens today. Would be great to see another program in the state really take off.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:20 pm For the scrimmage Saturday at 1:00, the current forecast is 40s, cloudy, but probably without rain.
A few years ago they played a regular season game in the snow in the football stadium.
Would a scrimmage likely also be in the football stadium?

P.S. Villanova folks were great hosts.
As an FYI: Yes, the scrimmage versus Hopkins tomorrow and all Villanova lacrosse games are played at Villanova stadium where the Cats play football. It is on Lancaster Ave, just east of the main campus, with a parking garage across the street and a tailgate lot adjacent to the north side of the stadium (where the teams sidelines are located).

P.S. Thanks!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Player development 101. This has been a major issue.

And... I’ve had a fear that players are playing injured way more than they should have. But... that’s compounded by the problem of not developing your bench. Everyone just sit there and rust because no one else is deemed better than injured player X who is only at 75%.

And that’s how players stay hurt for longer periods of time.

Hopefully they don’t ruin Joey.
78Jay

Post by 78Jay »

Not sure that I do or don't know O Canada personally but his insights are typically spot-on. Zinn was battling injuries last year; injury information in lacrosse - along with the general lack of info regarding off-field behavioral issues like goalies busting up preppy frat houses - doesn't match the information flow other sports seem to enjoy/be burdened with.

And last week (you can guess the event) I was told by a very reliable source that Zinn not only suffered last year from nagging injuries but coach (plural) frustration over hustle-related plays (an analogy was drawn to a fleet-footed midfielder from the 90s and I'll leave it at that). Those concerns have drastically dissipated over the fall and the spring (such as it isn't quite spring yet!).

Barring injury, Zinn should see the field plenty this season.

And, Wombat, you have to admit that lax has bit itself in the keister over the last number of years with ESPNTV, league play, demographic evolution, February lacrosse, the endless devotion to Memorial Day weekend, and so many other factors impacting attendance at Homewood/other venues. Take away Mom, Dad and girlfriend, not many people your age and older have much appetite for foul weather (I won't call it climate change in deference to your preferences) games. It would seem to be the case even if we entered the season pre-season #1 (which we are not).

The lax universe has evolved. Some would say devolved.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Lol. For the most part I take some credit for reporting on Brown and Shack. In response to comments people like you guys made. I assume there were one or two more who may have also commented. You were the kind of guys who were so sure they were failures

So just out of curiosity how do you think your logic applies if Shack played the better part of his career with injuries. I mean it seems as though he should have sat out because if he was injured how could he play? Do you ever stop to think about what you write. Brown played with his injury or is that forgotten? One of the posters here was all over an AA attackman of ours claiming he was not performing. I ended up posting it was because he had a broken foot. Same poster went after another attackman who had a shoulder injury and couldn’t lift his arm over his shoulder. It goes all the way back to the latter years of LaxPower.

You guys mouth off about things you know nothing about. I don’t care whether you ass hats like it or not. Why was he playing on the wings? Why do you think ? Why wasn’t he playing more. Here is a hint: when a player suddenly is underperforming ability it will most often have an injury involved. Some poster went after a player whose parents were dealing with a fatal disease. The knowledge that used to reside with the Hopkins thread has pretty much died.

O Bluto they aren’t wearing the right numbers.

O Bluto he isn’t playing enough.

O Bluto he is playing to much.

O Bluto he won’t play freshman.

O Bluto we keep reenforcing our echo chamber can you stop us.

Some of you are so dense even when you get the answer you can’t reset and get it right because you would rather hang onto your delusions.

Bottom line is you never have receipts for anything you claim. You never make a case with receipts. Gresham’s law. Bad money drives out good money
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Hopkins 's thread is always interesting at least
DMac

Post by DMac »

Best Post Of One Hundred And Eight Pages Award goes to, OCanada.
Congrats, well done.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:39 pm Lol. For the most part I take some credit for reporting on Brown and Shack. In response to comments people like you guys made. I assume there were one or two more who may have also commented. You were the kind of guys who were so sure they were failures

So just out of curiosity how do you think your logic applies if Shack played the better part of his career with injuries. I mean it seems as though he should have sat out because if he was injured how could he play? Do you ever stop to think about what you write. Brown played with his injury or is that forgotten? One of the posters here was all over an AA attackman of ours claiming he was not performing. I ended up posting it was because he had a broken foot. Same poster went after another attackman who had a shoulder injury and couldn’t lift his arm over his shoulder. It goes all the way back to the latter years of LaxPower.

You guys mouth off about things you know nothing about. I don’t care whether you ass hats like it or not. Why was he playing on the wings? Why do you think ? Why wasn’t he playing more. Here is a hint: when a player suddenly is underperforming ability it will most often have an injury involved. Some poster went after a player whose parents were dealing with a fatal disease. The knowledge that used to reside with the Hopkins thread has pretty much died.

O Bluto they aren’t wearing the right numbers.

O Bluto he isn’t playing enough.

O Bluto he is playing to much.

O Bluto he won’t play freshman.

O Bluto we keep reenforcing our echo chamber can you stop us.

Some of you are so dense even when you get the answer you can’t reset and get it right because you would rather hang onto your delusions.

Bottom line is you never have receipts for anything you claim. You never make a case with receipts. Gresham’s law. Bad money drives out good money
Pretty sure you’re attributing plenty there that I never said. I’ll also note you still haven’t given us your great wisdom on the new and fantastic open competition for playing time.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Heard this is the thread for dog advice. Any suggestions on best mid side dogs for apt living. Must be relatively quiet inside,able to hold it in for six hrs and friendly towards other dogs on walks.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

stupefied wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:11 pm Heard this is the thread for dog advice. Any suggestions on best mid side dogs for apt living. Must be relatively quiet inside,able to hold it in for six hrs and friendly towards other dogs on walks.
get a terrier. not too loud, good with other animals. fast, take a little while to adjust.
https://www.petfinder.com/dog/zin-46298 ... ary-me159/
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

There are a gazillion web-sites dedicated to matching dog breeds to "needs and wants". It sounds like you prefer a purebred or a specific cross over vs. a rescue if your asking for breed recs. The next question is do you want the puppy experience - no puppy will hold it for 6 hours - I would imagine once house trained most adult dogs can. Dogs are also individuals - while some instincts are virtually always present - some things can surprise you. So if somebody tells you - this dog never barks or it is always dog friendly - those are not laws of physics. The bit about liking other dogs is up to you in a big way. if you socialize it with other dogs - spend time on some leash training it's likely you'll be OK. The most popular dog that I see that might fit your requirements is the mid-sized labradoodle - friendliest dogs I see on a day to day basis - generally tons of energy when young.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

“It’s important to remember that when the dog looks at you, the dog is not thinking what kind of a person you are.” Sophocles or Oprah...I forget.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Couple of questions:
How big is the apartment?
How big is the local doggie park?
Maybe one of these guys?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMgFoNuheWE
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:39 am Couple of questions:
How big is the apartment?
How big is the local doggie park?
Maybe one of these guys?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMgFoNuheWE
Small apt schipperke. Larger apt border collie.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
molo

Post by molo »

My daughter lives in a an apartment in central Barcelona. I'm not much with square footage, but think of a one bedroom unit in Manhattan and you'll have a good impression of the size. Her fox terrier does quite well there, but she does have a terrace that is about as big as the apartment so her dog can get outside whenever necessary without going four flights down to the street. From my experience, fox terriers love (adult) people and appreciate exercise but don't require the kind of mileage that our hound mix does (one to two hours a day in the woods).
If you are looking for a rescue, some rescue places know more about the backgrounds of their dogs than others. The place that mine comes from, for example, gets enough dogs from West Virginia that they often have a pretty good idea of the mix.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Not dressed: Same group as last week, plus Baskin
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hubler also not dressed

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”