All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

old salt

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:07 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:54 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:18 pm {paywall alert} https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/t ... diplomacy/

The Chinese side plans to propose that both sides cooperate on vaccine-certificate protocols, to verify proof of immunization, under the guidelines set by the World Health Organization. Chinese officials hope that in turn can help facilitate travel between the two countries for people who present such proof. Beijing also hopes that the two sides can talk about jointly distributing vaccines in developing countries.

China has attempted to step into a global leadership role on providing Covid-19 vaccines for developing countries, but recently suffered a setback when one of its leading inoculation candidates turned out to be significantly less effective in late-stage trials in Brazil than in early results. A risk for the U.S. is that cooperating with China could lend legitimacy to Chinese vaccines developed in a push that scientists have criticized as not transparent.
Your Culture Leader
What do your expert sources tell you about the accuracy of China's reporting & the efficacy of their vaccines ?
Would you take a Chinese vaccine if offered now rather than waiting for a US approved vaccine ?
I can’t recall if you were one of the guys complaining about China not working with us? I don’t believe you were.... you should ask
Donald.
I'm asking you & your circle of international friends & experts.
Nervous times for you chums in Lyon.
Maybe the Chinese or Russians will come through for them.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... SL8N2K061O

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/2021 ... n-expected
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:14 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:18 pm {paywall alert} https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/t ... diplomacy/

The Chinese side plans to propose that both sides cooperate on vaccine-certificate protocols, to verify proof of immunization, under the guidelines set by the World Health Organization. Chinese officials hope that in turn can help facilitate travel between the two countries for people who present such proof. Beijing also hopes that the two sides can talk about jointly distributing vaccines in developing countries.

China has attempted to step into a global leadership role on providing Covid-19 vaccines for developing countries, but recently suffered a setback when one of its leading inoculation candidates turned out to be significantly less effective in late-stage trials in Brazil than in early results. A risk for the U.S. is that cooperating with China could lend legitimacy to Chinese vaccines developed in a push that scientists have criticized as not transparent.
Your Culture Leader
What do your expert sources tell you about the accuracy of China's reporting & the efficacy of their vaccines ?
Would you take a Chinese vaccine if offered now rather than waiting for a US approved vaccine ?
I can’t recall if you were one of the guys complaining about China not working with us? I don’t believe you were.... you should ask
Donald.

They good.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:52 pm
President Joe Biden has painted a bleak picture of the nation’s coronavirus outbreak in his first few days in office.
During a Friday press briefing, Biden said that Covid-19 deaths are expected to reach “well over 600,000.”
The president also warned that “there’s nothing we can do to change the trajectory of the pandemic in the next several months.”
You are mis-reading what Biden said. Which is pretty much base case projections.

UW projects that daily deaths expected to decline from 3,300 today to 2,000 daily by 2/25 to 900 daily by 3/25. So while things will be improving, UW still projects deaths will hit 550k by 3/25/2021.

Joe is saying there's not much we can do to do better than that in the short term. Most of that improvement is baked in -- holiday surge wearing off, increasing compliance, warmer weather, seasonal decline, more things outside, vaccines starting to kick in. But the vaccine effect has a big lag -- wait for a shot; get a shot; second shot three weeks later; three more weeks for immunity.

So the real game being played is whether we can get enough vaccinations done before next fall/winter when another surge will occur.
there's really no evidence of a holiday surge having happened. that's a good thing, of course.
and ihme doesn't have increased compliance as a base case.

definitely will be a big lag on vaccinations. especially as we didn't hit the elderly 1st. hope that changes.
njbill

Post by njbill »

President Joe Biden has painted a bleak picture of the nation’s coronavirus outbreak in his first few days in office.
During a Friday press briefing, Biden said that Covid-19 deaths are expected to reach “well over 600,000.”
The president also warned that “there’s nothing we can do to change the trajectory of the pandemic in the next several months.”
You are mis-reading what Biden said. Which is pretty much base case projections.

UW projects that daily deaths expected to decline from 3,300 today to 2,000 daily by 2/25 to 900 daily by 3/25. So while things will be improving, UW still projects deaths will hit 550k by 3/25/2021.

Joe is saying there's not much we can do to do better than that in the short term. Most of that improvement is baked in -- holiday surge wearing off, increasing compliance, warmer weather, seasonal decline, more things outside, vaccines starting to kick in. But the vaccine effect has a big lag -- wait for a shot; get a shot; second shot three weeks later; three more weeks for immunity.

So the real game being played is whether we can get enough vaccinations done before next fall/winter when another surge will occur.
I think you are right in your interpretation of Biden‘s comments. The problem, and this has been a problem for Joe his entire career, is that he is inarticulate at times and, worse, words come out of his mouth that do not reflect what he really thinks or means.

But he is the president now so what he says matters greatly.

This will be a constant issue for him during his presidency. He will say stuff, and then somebody will have to explain or clarify it. It happened during the campaign.

Obama sometimes got criticized, or mocked, for his halting speaking style, replete with hesitations. But he was choosing his words very carefully.

I’ve made this comment before. As a senator from Delaware, Joe got a lot of coverage in the Philadelphia media market so I have seen lots and lots of Joe Biden coverage for decades.

I used to say (half jokingly) to my secretaries, don’t do what I said, do what I meant. And for the best ones: do what I should have met.

I’ve seen enough of Joe to pretty much know what he should’ve meant when he says something. But that isn’t true for much of the rest of the country. It’s just something we are going to have to get used to or suffer through.

In this day and age, we have come to expect a high level of articulation from our public officials. But the ability to be articulate should not be confused with the ability to think or make judgments. They are really completely different things.

Contrary to the way some have depicted him, Joe is a very clear thinker and, at least so far, has exhibited very good judgment. That is far, far more important than his ability, or lack thereof, to deliver clear, articulate, off-the-cuff remarks.
Typical Lax Dad

njbill wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:22 pm

I think you are right in your interpretation of Biden‘s comments. The problem, and this has been a problem for Joe his entire career, is that he is inarticulate at times and, worse, words come out of his mouth that do not reflect what he really thinks or means.

This will be a constant issue for him during his presidency. He will say stuff, and then somebody will have to explain or clarify it. It happened during the campaign.

Obama sometimes got criticized, or mocked, for his halting speaking style, replete with hesitations. But he was choosing his words very carefully.

I’ve made this comment before. As a senator from Delaware, Joe got a lot of coverage in the Philadelphia media market so I have seen lots and lots of Joe Biden coverage for decades.

I used to say (half jokingly) to my secretaries, don’t do what I said, do what I meant. And for the best ones: do what I should have met.

I’ve seen enough of Joe to pretty much know what he should’ve meant when he says something. But that isn’t true for much of the rest of the country. It’s just something we are going to have to get used to or suffer through.

In this day and age, we have come to expect a high level of articulation from our public officials. But the ability to be articulate should not be confused with the ability to think or make judgments. They are really completely different things.

Contrary to the way some have depicted him, Joe is a very clear thinker and, at least so far, has exhibited very good judgment. That is far, far more important than his ability, or lack thereof, to deliver clear, articulate, off-the-cuff remarks.
The bar was set really low.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 pm

https://youtu.be/u-PNYkZPW_g
Last edited by wgdsr on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Yup, as far back as Biden’s admitted plagiarism, although not malevolent.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:00 pm

https://youtu.be/u-PNYkZPW_g[youtube]yo ... -PNYkZPW_g[/youtube]
Thanks. Wouldn’t care if a marionette was signing.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:03 pm

Yup, as far back as Biden’s admitted plagiarism, although not malevolent.
I don’t care.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I saw that last week and thought who is going to be running this dang country.
Last edited by youthathletics on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:03 pm

hahaha. you said it was a low bar!!!
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:05 pm

It is. I would have voted for a manhole cover. I don’t care. Anyone waiting on a criticism from me will be waiting a long time. I don’t lie. I don’t BS people and I am not a phony. I don’t care what Biden does. I don’t cheer for politicians.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:05 pm

It is. I would have voted for a manhole cover. I don’t care. Anyone waiting on a criticism from me will be waiting a long time. I don’t lie. I don’t BS people and I am not a phony. I don’t care what Biden does. I don’t cheer for politicians.
cheering for politicians has become quite the thing. you are missing out.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:21 pmthere's really no evidence of a holiday surge having happened. that's a good thing, of course.

definitely will be a big lag on vaccinations. especially as we didn't hit the elderly 1st. hope that changes.
Can you pass what you're smoking? We had a huge spike in cases that peaked two weeks after Christmas.

old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:15 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:14 pm

Your Culture Leader
Donald.

They good.
They already have a 6 pm curfew & they're looking at another lockdown.

Plus, Pasteur just threw in the towel on their joint venture vaccine with Merck based on their measles vacc.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/2 ... ne-project

Looming vaccine nationalism. The EU is in an uproar over AstraZeneca, Biontech & Pfizer manufacturing shortfalls.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:21 pmthere's really no evidence of a holiday surge having happened. that's a good thing, of course.

Can you pass what you're smoking? We had a huge spike in cases that peaked two weeks after Christmas.

those are the cases from post x-mas week. there are posts on it then.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://investor.regeneron.com/news-rel ... m-antibody

useful at some point? no idea how much it scales, and looks to be months off in any event. for the elite? therapeutics would be good. take your vitamin d.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:47 am
holmes435 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 pm

those are the cases from post x-mas week. there are posts on it then.
Christmas week...lots of travel pre Xmas. Lots of testing week before travel, little testing Xmas week, testing once returned...Cases rise.
The good news is that they peaked...
Big concern is new variants becoming dominant over next months.

I do think there's some basis to say that the surges were not as large after Xmas and New Year's as feared, less than the Thanksgiving bump and less than the Labor Day and Memorial Day effects. Perhaps better masking etc, perhaps more concern about most vulnerable, but those are just speculations. I doubt it's due to 'herd' yet, but possible some effect.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:09 am https://investor.regeneron.com/news-rel ... m-antibody

useful at some point? no idea how much it scales, and looks to be months off in any event. for the elite? therapeutics would be good. take your vitamin d.
Ivermectin

Good for Covid and/or parasitic worms? :?

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/ecli ... 8/fulltext
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:56 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:09 am https://investor.regeneron.com/news-rel ... m-antibody

Ivermectin

Good for Covid and/or parasitic worms? :?

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/ecli ... 8/fulltext
thanks. hadn't seen that. ivermectin's been on the radar since at least april, and a number of studies. fda has put it on the don't try this at home list, though. they did a good job monitoring actual viral loads. but a 24 person rct isn't going to move the needle, certainly not with young cohorts and no one gets seriously ill.

maybe it sets up something larger.

Return to “POLITICS”